You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anti-continuation betting

Afte a seeming never ending string of bad beats today, I'm going to try these forums for the first time and save the cash that would otherwise be lost on tilt! (don't worry - this thread is nothing about those, I'd smash the laptop if I recalled them!)

I am posting about anti-continuation, ie the caller throwing in a pot sized bet out of position to take the wind out of a pre-flop raiser, beating them to the punch of the more standard c-bet.

I don't have any software to track stats on skypoker so maybe I am way off, but this seems to be a regular used tool (ie />50% of the time).  I guess at a push you'd say the limper has hit a hand 33% of the time and is betting with the goods but that leaves a lot of bluffs in the range... although as the initial aggressor, can you really throw a re-raise unless you've hit a bit of the flop yourself? (personally I've folded most of the time if I've ended up in this position).

I can see some benefit to it, if the flop comes a bit raggy looking then you can assume the pre-flop raiser is likely to have missed, and he will the majority of the time.  If the re-raise comes then you know you are behind and can bin the hand.

Is this a tactic that others have encountered or utilised (leading out post-flop light)... and is it one that you would recommend?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Counter-position was discussed seriously for a while.

There are boards where, depending on the opponents type, perception of you etc, you can lead into him with air and it's fine.

But these situations are somewhat specific, and I wouldn't implement it as a default general strategy.
  • edited December 2009
    i would say i raise donkbets more than 50% of the time. people seem to do it with middle pair to "see where theyre at" and come to the conclusion you must have a good hand when you raise. Pretty easy to double barrell them off their hands. 

i take notes when i see someone doing it with a big hand and obviously fold unless i have something
  • edited December 2009
    I agree with off shoot, I rarely give up to a donk bet, only if i feel they think i am playing over aggressive and are tempting me into repoping them. It is important not to give up so easily as you have position and have invested, throw in a reraise with air now and again, also smooth call with air.

The time to be carefull is when you get donk bet on a board that hits your 'percieved' range hard, EG king jack 8, it may be safe to assume they have a hand and fold..

inversly, you could take from your analysis that a check to you by these regular donk betters will, a large % of the time, mean no hand so you should pick up extra value with your c-bets. So make a note of who is doing it.

• edited December 2009
    I just find it really irritating, but tbh i've found many poor players do bet when they've hit top pair so i just let em have it.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Anti-continuation betting:
    I just find it really irritating, but tbh i've found many poor players do bet when they've hit top pair so i just let em have it.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    if u find it irritating why dont you put some thought into how to combat it...

giving it up every time u dont connect will be losing you money big time