You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinions please

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Main Primo tonight (was 3rd at the time and was still quite early)....  Villain is relatively aggressive and doesnt like me stealing blinds having reraised back 3/4 times to shove me off his blinds.

Two questions:

1) Is my 4 bet too aggressive?
2) Can I fold after 5 bet shove?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GRANDAD49 Small blind   100.00 100.00 5635.00
Villain Big blind   200.00 300.00 11835.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Boonicon Fold        
david666 Fold        
Lancelot11 Fold        
gazza127 Raise   500.00 800.00 16300.00
GRANDAD49 Fold        
Villain Raise   1200.00 2000.00 10635.00
gazza127 Raise   4500.00 6500.00 11800.00
Villain
All-in   10635.00 17135.00 0.00
gazza127  

Comments

• edited February 2013
    It is a massive raise, far 2 much in my opinion and at the end of the day all you have is Ace King.

And for what you have in the middle so far you can't fold imo, you just have to bite the bullet, and i take it you found yourself up against aces or kings.
  • edited February 2013
    I was up against queens.... so I wasnt exactly drawing dead but i did lose the pot.  Thinking a more passive route would have been better but was aware that villain could have anything when he 3 bets...  Probably should have made it 3000 instead of 4500 for the 4 bet, then hes much less likely to ship it.... plus im more likely to get away from it if he does shove.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions please:
    I was up against queens.... so I wasnt exactly drawing dead but i did lose the pot.  Thinking a more passive route would have been better but was aware that villain could have anything when he 3 bets...  Probably should have made it 3000 instead of 4500 for the 4 bet, then hes much less likely to ship it.... plus im more likely to get away from it if he does shove.
    Posted by gazza127
    Your logic and thought process is completely flawed. 
  • edited February 2013
    4 bet & get it in

or flat 3 bet

probably prefer flat 3 bet this deep

• edited February 2013
    Posted by gazza127
    So why make your 4 bet so big ?? Do you want him to fold/call or ship ??
  • edited February 2013
    Why Curt?  Because i want to 4 bet and still consider folding?  I'm 4 betting because I know he doesnt like me stealing his blinds... so he could have anything and im not getting any information if I flat call.  I know when he 5 bets all in that im most likely behind as he has not shoved pre since the start of the tourny.... I just don't think the bet sizing was right.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions please : So why make your 4 bet so big ?? Do you want him to fold/call or ship ??
    Posted by goodylad21
    I know I made the 4 bet too big. Not sure what the logic was at the time for making it that big....
  • edited February 2013
    I either just flat the 3bet play the hand in position or just 4bet get it in.

but when a 4bet a do it a little smaller than 4.5k maybe something like 2.9-3.2k imo
  • edited February 2013
    Why Curt?  Because i want to 4 bet and still consider folding?  I'm 4 betting because I know he doesnt like me stealing his blinds... so he could have anything and im not getting any information if I flat call.  I know when he 5 bets all in that im most likely behind as he has not shoved pre since the start of the tourny.... I just don't think the bet sizing was right.
    Posted by gazza127

Your assuming oppo is 3 betting from the blinds very light, why can't oppo be 3 betting AQ/AJ - 10,'s etc..
    Why would you 4 bet and fold out worse hands

You can't put that much of your stack over the line and consider folding imo

Will oppo 5 bet shove worse, or flat with worse

You say your betting for information, well the only information your going to get us some that you don't like -
    Oppo shoves with bluffs/hands that beat you or oppo folds hands you beat

Best case scenrio for you when you 4 bet is you fold out prs, but you should consider that if you put these in oppo range - should you then fold when they 5 bet - do you also fold QQ ?

if your 4 betting for folds then you may aswell be holding ATC, because you want nice information - and that's them folding -

What happens if they call you 4 bet, what now )

• edited February 2013
    LOL Came here thinking you wanted Onions, but no you want 'Opinions' hehe sorry mate don't have any of them..
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Opinions please : Your assuming oppo is 3 betting from the blinds very light, why can't oppo be 3 betting AQ/AJ - 10,'s etc.. Why would you 4 bet and fold out worse hands You can't put that much of your stack over the line and consider folding imo Will oppo 5 bet shove worse, or flat with worse You say your betting for information, well the only information your going to get us some that you don't like - Oppo shoves with bluffs/hands that beat you or oppo folds hands you beat Best case scenrio for you when you 4 bet is you fold out prs, but you should consider that if you put these in oppo range - should you then fold when they 5 bet - do you also fold QQ ? if your 4 betting for folds then you may aswell be holding ATC, because you want nice information - and that's them folding - What happens if they call you 4 bet, what now )
    Posted by rancid

Lol.  All true.
    I guess I was just unhappy with the way I played it as I dug myself a hole to get it all in so deep.  I suppose I just wanted confirmation that I 4 bet too big....
    If they call my 4 bet and i miss flop im royally fecked.  I suppose I wasnt too unhappy at the time getting it all in pre, however I would have liked to be the one doing the shoving.  Need to think more about what Im trying to achieve with each raise.
  • edited February 2013
    Your thoughts about folding to the 5-bet seem to suggest a lack of awareness of pot odds. After you've made the 4-bet, your pot odds are roughly 29% to call off for the rest. (If I've decoded the hand history correctly and you're calling 7k more)

With those pot odds, you have to think that the villain's range for 5-betting all-in is exclusively AA or KK and can't include anything like AK, QQ or worse. Given that it's button v blind and you've described him as very aggro, you can be pretty sure that his range is wider than that. You can't fold here.

Moreover you need to examine your rationale for 4-betting. If you think your opponent is 3-betting a wide range, you can call to play your likely dominating hand in position, keeping his wide range in the hand. If you 4-bet and he folds, all you've accomplished is folding out weak hands and losing value. Flatting is a viable approach when we're reasonably deep and in this situation we're playing roughly 54BB effective. It's the best approach against a good player who won't call your 4-bet with worse hands and will only 5-bet with better, folding out everything you beat. You may get him to fold smaller pocket pairs, if he can be 3-betting those, but that's likely to be losing the value that our position gives us. Up against 66 with AK in position, we'll win more through the streets than we lose.

If we 4-bet, it has to be because we know on of two things will happen: Either our opponent will frequently call with worse hands or hands that he'll play fit or fold with, or he can possibly 5-bet with weaker hands. So, if we think he calls with a wide range and only and always 5-bets with his monster pairs, then we can 4-bet-fold. However, if those are our thoughts, then we need to 4-bet an amount that he can call but that won't commit us to the hand if he shoves. You've said that you think your 4-bet was too big and I agree. It's an amount that's made it easy for our opponent to play: He'll fold all his weak hands to this raise and will jam all of his big hands, knowing you can't fold.

4-betting would be really bad in this spot against a player who only either folds or 5-bet/calls solely with his massive hands. If that's the case then our 4-bet with AK is putting us in the situation of losing value from all of his weaker hands and getting it in only in spots where we're flipping or dominated.
  • edited February 2013

Pretty much as rancid says. :)

• edited February 2013
    Your thoughts about folding to the 5-bet seem to suggest a lack of awareness of pot odds. After you've made the 4-bet, your pot odds are roughly 29% to call off for the rest. (If I've decoded the hand history correctly and you're calling 7k more) With those pot odds, you have to think that the villain's range for 5-betting all-in is exclusively AA or KK and can't include anything like AK, QQ or worse. Given that it's button v blind and you've described him as very aggro, you can be pretty sure that his range is wider than that. You can't fold here. Moreover you need to examine your rationale for 4-betting. If you think your opponent is 3-betting a wide range, you can call to play your likely dominating hand in position, keeping his wide range in the hand. If you 4-bet and he folds, all you've accomplished is folding out weak hands and losing value. Flatting is a viable approach when we're reasonably deep and in this situation we're playing roughly 54BB effective. It's the best approach against a good player who won't call your 4-bet with worse hands and will only 5-bet with better, folding out everything you beat. You may get him to fold smaller pocket pairs, if he can be 3-betting those, but that's likely to be losing the value that our position gives us. Up against 66 with AK in position, we'll win more through the streets than we lose. If we 4-bet, it has to be because we know on of two things will happen: Either our opponent will frequently call with worse hands or hands that he'll play fit or fold with, or he can possibly 5-bet with weaker hands. So, if we think he calls with a wide range and only and always 5-bets with his monster pairs, then we can 4-bet-fold. However, if those are our thoughts, then we need to 4-bet an amount that he can call but that won't commit us to the hand if he shoves. You've said that you think your 4-bet was too big and I agree. It's an amount that's made it easy for our opponent to play: He'll fold all his weak hands to this raise and will jam all of his big hands, knowing you can't fold. 4-betting would be really bad in this spot against a player who only either folds or 5-bet/calls solely with his massive hands. If that's the case then our 4-bet with AK is putting us in the situation of losing value from all of his weaker hands and getting it in only in spots where we're flipping or dominated.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    This.  I did put him on AA-QQ when he shoved and didnt want to call, but almost had to because of the 4 bet size.  He hadn't 5 bet all tourny or even pushed pre at any point hence me thinking I was dominated and wanting to get out of the hand.... but the position i put myself in I had to call just incase he had shoved light.  I can get out of the hand if my 4 bet is smaller.  i'll try to think what im achieving with each bet and the implications of bet sizing a bit more - i mustve just been clicking buttons tbh because i never normally reraise so much.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Opinions please:
    ..  Villain is relatively aggressive and doesnt like me stealing blinds having reraised back 3/4 times to shove me off his blinds.  
    Posted by gazza127
    Why arnt we snapping given this info?