You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 11 : Heads up still going strong!

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
bout time somone did a sky forum challenge/ diary

havent seen one in a whie.

Good Luck mate

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Hello,

I am starting this post to keep track of my £200 to £2000 challenge. I dont have a time limit or anything, just be nice to reach there and consistently be able to play NL50. 

I am going to start at NL10/4, DYM £3-5 and tornies £2-11. I am in no rush to compolete this challenge so I will only play on days I feel like playing. I also hope to attend/take down an SPT this year. (If the dates get releaced soon lol!)

I will try and 4 table if the sky lag doesnt take over.

I hope to post some interesting hands here and on the clinic, but Ill steeer clear of the ones where someone hits their one outer on the river.

Cyas on the tables. 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200:
    bout time somone did a sky forum challenge/ diary havent seen one in a whie. Good Luck mate
    Posted by bolly580
    Cheers
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 1

Starting Balance : £200
    Today P/L : -£7.84
    Total P/L : -£7.84
    Ending Balance : £192.16
    C4P : 20pts

Bad start lol, played some NL8 and a £5.50 timed torny. I think I played well just didnt get the hands I needed. 

It wont let me post my hand??!!

Basically I have A10 flop comes A J 10. I bet and he reraises, i shove he calls shows AK. Turn Q. 

How many times when he calls my shove am I ahead? Should I look to get it in on this flop? FWIW I would be in profit if my hand held. :(

• edited February 2013
  • edited February 2013
    gl with your challenge and diary
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary:
    gl with your challenge and diary
    Posted by liamboi11
    Thanks
  • edited February 2013
    Good luck

pretty balla having 2 diaries at the top of the page!
  • edited February 2013
    Good luck pretty balla having 2 diaries at the top of the page!
    Posted by Jac35
    just so popular...
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 2

Today P/L : -£21.06
    Total P/L : -£28.90
    Ending Balance : £171.10
    C4P : 80pts

Only Played NL10 today.

Started off really well making some good reraise bluffs and taking pots down. 

I then made a silly bluff and lost about £5. It went downhill from there.

I think ive been unlucky with the beats. I have linked to one whereby I know I shouldnt be playing the hand however I still feel I get very unlucky.

Might have to move down to NL4/8 tommorow and try to get back to evens! Annoying think is at one point today I was evens and I only played about 1 hour today lol.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3acdf513a4-4811-44dd-b210-c66d9e48e878Discussion%3a53e6d9c9-08f4-4c51-a073-2969267d7a29
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 3

Today P/L : -£10.37
    Total P/L : -£39.27
    Ending Balance : £160.73
    C4P : 156pts

Another loosing day. Sigh. lol. bet most people looking will be thinking that loosing this £200 is more likely than ever getting near the £2000. 

I am personally optamistic. I feel I have taken some bad beats and also learnt a lot in the last few days about NL10 on sky poker. 

I have decided now to 4 table and do poker and only poker wheras before I may play 2 tables and browse the internet.

I was down to £145  today and then after playing well at 4 tables managed to bulid it back. I feel the was I was playing was much more solid than perviously and I didnt feel like I was ever taking any real risks. 

I am also happy with my poker points. I think I am earning them faster than before with the old scheme. 

Quite looking forward to having a crrack tommorow and see if I can keep building up my bankroll and hopefully make a profit soon.

• edited February 2013
    hi sighcall,
    gl with your challenge,
    always the tricky bit at the start as any losses effect your b/roll the most.

best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited February 2013
    hi sighcall, gl with your challenge, always the tricky bit at the start as any losses effect your b/roll the most. best wishes :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi,

Thanks, yeh im still optamistic. I only have to average a profit of about £6 a day to get it compoleted this year. 

This seems an impossible task now but as I move up levels it should be easier.

Thanks
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 4

Starting Balance : £160.73
    Today P/L : £19.26
    Total P/L : -£21.01
    Ending Balance : £179.99
    C4P : 206pts

Really good day at the tables! :)

I feel solid and organised playing 4 tables for short sessions. only played about one and a half hous within the 2 happy hours.

It may just be varience kicking in but I do feel comfortable playing and feel like I am going to win when I sit.

Obviously I am still in the red overall but hopefully if I keep playing consistently it shoudnt take long to see green! 

Also I have spotted that golden ticket promotion - dont know if my points from previous days will count as I only entered the code today but any potential winnings from that will definetly give my bankroll a much needed lift!

• edited February 2013
    DAY 5

Starting Balance : £179.99
    Today P/L : £11.19
    Total P/L : -£9.82
    Ending Balance : £191.18
    C4P : 215pts

Another brilliant day, only played from 1:30 - 2pm aswell.

I feel I am very close to seeing profit, and feel comfortable and like I koow what I am doing at the tables!

Only problem with today was the lack of points I earned, but I feel its best especially at these levels to not focus on points as the rake you earn is nowhere near worth playing those extra hours.

Roll on another day!
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 6 & 7

Starting Balance : £191.18
    Today P/L : £10
    Total P/L : £1.18
    Ending Balance : £201.18
    C4P : 215pts

I was away for a couple of days so didnt play, but managed to win £10 in the golden ticket challenge! Thanks sky.

Finally in profit which is nice, not sure if i will play today but if i do i will update.

• edited February 2013
    DAY 8

Starting Balance : £201.18
    Today P/L : -£10.99
    Total P/L : -£9.81
    Ending Balance : £190.19
    C4P : 242pts

Decided to use the £10 free sky gave me to play a torny, doubled up early on but ended up dwindling mystack away - tbh I probably never should have entered and just kept the £10. I dont think I will play any more tornies untill i reach £300+ because although they can really boost my roll, they are high varience and can be annoying if you loose a few in a row. (Wasting time and money - also they are terrible for points)

Played some NL10 also - lost a hand where I made a bluf I probably shouldnt, no need at this level just should play standard. LINK BELOW.

then played well and managed to win this back for a loss of £10.99 today (basically my torny buyin)

• edited February 2013
    DAY 9

Starting Balance : £190.19
    Today P/L : £19.44
    Total P/L : £9.63
    Ending Balance : £209.63
    C4P : 334pts

YES! Fianlly some nice profit!

Started playing some NL10 4 tables, didnt go as planned really. My feeling with cash games is that you have to have 100% focus and concentration when playing and not be tired. As one bad bluff/call can make it really hard to get back into profit as it is easy to start chasing money.

So decided to play 4x £5.50 DYM - better for points i feel however I wouldnt want to solely play DYM's as they are boring and i feel i have more of an edge on cash. Also i feel i would want to play 6-8 DYM's at a time and currently my computer wont allow this. (Without lag/overlapping of tables) Won 3/4 games!

Then played some heads up cash which is where i profited - may have just been luck however i may look to add a heads up cash table to my sessions occasionally as you can win money fast against weaker players and also the points are very good from it.

Overall pleased with the day as now comfortably in profit and hopefully wont see Total p/l go into red again!

Also got some extra points which is nice! :)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 9:
    DAY 9 Starting Balance : £190.19 Today P/L  :  £19.44 Total P/L  :  £9.63 Ending Balance : £209.63 C4P : 334pts YES! Fianlly some nice profit! Started playing some NL10 4 tables, didnt go as planned really. My feeling with cash games is that you have to have 100% focus and concentration when playing and not be tired. As one bad bluff/call can make it really hard to get back into profit as it is easy to start chasing money. So decided to play 4x £5.50 DYM - better for points i feel however I wouldnt want to solely play DYM's as they are boring and i feel i have more of an edge on cash. Also i feel i would want to play 6-8 DYM's at a time and currently my computer wont allow this. (Without lag/overlapping of tables) Won 3/4 games! Then played some heads up cash which is where i profited - may have just been luck however i may look to add a heads up cash table to my sessions occasionally as you can win money fast against weaker players and also the points are very good from it. Overall pleased with the day as now comfortably in profit and hopefully wont see Total p/l go into red again! Also got some extra points which is nice! :)
    Posted by sighcall
    Points arnt that great tbh for HU games. Also as im sure you are aware you can also lose alot very quickly, You are best to avoid the shortys that sit with less then £3 as they will eiher run if you let them double up.. or the main reason i dont as if they get lucky and double up, you then win it back and still be negative as the rake is so high. SO beat em quick and dont let them double up lol
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 9 : Points arnt that great tbh for HU games. Also as im sure you are aware you can also lose alot very quickly, You are best to avoid the shortys that sit with less then £3 as they will eiher run if you let them double up.. or the main reason i dont as if they get lucky and double up, you then win it back and still be negative as the rake is so high. SO beat em quick and dont let them double up lol
    Posted by shaun09
    right, thanks for the advice, i will look out for this. 

may have been a one off so i will have a look at my hand history and see if i was just plain lucky.

my plan would be an aggro pre flop play in order to take money down without rake! 

Thanks for the advice :)

• edited February 2013
    DAY 10

Starting Balance : £209.63
    Today P/L : £28.69
    Total P/L : £38.32
    Ending Balance : £238.32
    C4P : 391pts

Im on a roll :) Another brilliant day.

Only played heads up NL10 today 1 table.

My major decision now is where to take my game the choice is between 4x NL10 6 max and 1-2x NL10 Heads up cash. I have listed pros and cons below and would like some opinions.

Heads up cash

Pros

- Win money fast
    - More fun and quick paced than 6 max
    - More points per hour
    - Can make notes on the same players that play regulaly to help me win

Cons

- High varience, my positive win could just be a swing and i could loose money quick another session
    - High rake - against a solid player we are both just loosing money over time.
    - More likely to tilt, because of high varience i could loose moeny and feel tilted more quickly.

6 MAX Cash

Pros

- More steady profit, less varience
    - The rake doesnt feel as imposing, will always be a bad player on the tabkle to target
    - more tables available at one time - dont have to wait

Cons

- Less points per hour
    - Less fun (still fun)
    - Profit is more gardual - unlike heads up if i get against a weak tilty player where i could win lots in a short space of time.
    - currently 4 tableing which is a max for my computer - so cant as easily move up atm.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??

Thanks for the help! :D

• edited February 2013
    Nice work sighcall havn't posted yet so just thought i'd say good luck. In regards to what you just posted maybe one night of each so you don't get bored playing one or the other too much, also have you considered playing both 6max and HU at the same time or do you feel you would affect your play?
  • edited February 2013
    Nice work so far Sigh.

The only advice I would give is to not play HU cash at low stakes. I considered it myself recently cos I'm quite happy with my HU game but I was advised by others how ridiculous the rake is at the low stakes. If you both sit down with £10 and it takes you 30 mins to stack him, you'll probably leave with £15.

Also as Shauny said, too many ****s who sit with £4 just try their best to get it in, double and run. Obv we wanna play these idiots but when it's a struggle to get games going (which from memory it is quite tough with HU cash) it can be frustrating when someone comes, wins 1 hand and runs off.
  • edited February 2013
    +1 rake is horrible -

Think I sat once and played a few hands and I was like wtf, never played again.

• edited February 2013
    Nice work sighcall havn't posted yet so just thought i'd say good luck. In regards to what you just posted maybe one night of each so you don't get bored playing one or the other too much, also have you considered playing both 6max and HU at the same time or do you feel you would affect your play?
    Posted by benc
    Hello benc,

Thanks for the post.

Some good ideas there! Might just play one day of each then in a couple of weeks i can see what are most profitable for me. 

Adding one in i could also try but as you mention i feel this may distract me as heads up can put you in spots where you have to make quick decisions, but i might try it.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 10 :!!!ADVICE NEEDED!!! :D:
    Nice work so far Sigh. The only advice I would give is to not play HU cash at low stakes. I considered it myself recently cos I'm quite happy with my HU game but I was advised by others how ridiculous the rake is at the low stakes. If you both sit down with £10 and it takes you 30 mins to stack him, you'll probably leave with £15. Also as Shauny said, too many ****s who sit with £4 just try their best to get it in, double and run. Obv we wanna play these idiots but when it's a struggle to get games going (which from memory it is quite tough with HU cash) it can be frustrating when someone comes, wins 1 hand and runs off.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Lambert,

Thanks for the help on HU.

Yes I have noticed the rake is shocking on HU Cash.

When playing I would avoid players who dont buy in full and players who i dont think i can beat over time.

I know is very BASIC thinking but this is how i see it. If it takes me half an hour to win £5 more times than not in 30 mins (and i get a load of points) its better than grinding 6max 4 tables and making £5 more times than not over the space of an hour. 

My winning in the last 2 days have been very fast as on monday i was on £185 when i decided to play some heads up, and now on £238 so you can see how I can win money fast. However I realise i have been lucky along the way and this could all change.

My feelings are that in 6 max against a weak layer that can fold most hands they can 'hide' on the table and make it hard for me to extract value from them. Wheres in HU there is no hiding so i can pressure them, and once i take a buyin of them they are likely to loosen up and i can win even more! 

Thanks again for the post
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 10 :!!!ADVICE NEEDED!!! :D:
    +1 rake is horrible - Think I sat once and played a few hands and I was like wtf, never played again.
    Posted by rancid
    I have to agree with this, I try and be aggro preflop in order to take money off them without rake
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: How to loose £200 : A Diary : DAY 10 :!!!ADVICE NEEDED!!! :D : Hi Lambert, Thanks for the help on HU. Yes I have noticed the rake is shocking on HU Cash. When playing I would avoid players who dont buy in full and players who i dont think i can beat over time. I know is very BASIC thinking but this is how i see it. If it takes me half an hour to win £5 more times than not in 30 mins (and i get a load of points) its better than grinding 6max 4 tables and making £5 more times than not over the space of an hour.  My winning in the last 2 days have been very fast as on monday i was on £185 when i decided to play some heads up, and now on £238 so you can see how I can win money fast. However I realise i have been lucky along the way and this could all change. My feelings are that in 6 max against a weak layer that can fold most hands they can 'hide' on the table and make it hard for me to extract value from them. Wheres in HU there is no hiding so i can pressure them, and once i take a buyin of them they are likely to loosen up and i can win even more!  Thanks again for the post
    Posted by sighcall
    The fundamental flaw in this thinking though is that there is 1 fish per table. With a bit of good table selection (or 10pm onwards) you should be playing on tables with 3-4 fish, which 3-4 times more spots to take advantage than yuo would on a HU table.

You won't always win the £5 though, sometimes he'll double up off you, if you're lucky he won't run off, you continue playing and might get 'it' back off him, you eventually stack him and find yourself sitting with £12 when you started with £10 yourself.

The key is not letting these bad players hide, for instance if they keep limping with any old junk, when they limp you start making it 4x with a wide range to isolate him, it discourages anyone else coming along and if he's really bad he'll just keep limp/calling so you can take advantage postflop. But be aware when circumstances change and be prepared to change your plan (Percival said this to me a while ago), like if you 4x to isolate 2 others call but he doesnt, your plan has failed and you need to re-adjust what you wanna do in the hand.
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 11

Starting Balance : £238.32
    Today P/L : £5.83
    Total P/L : £44.15
    Ending Balance : £244.15
    C4P : 426pts

Bit tired so cba writing much. Just played NL10 heads up played ok won a bit might keep going with this untill its starts to loose lol seems to be going ok atm!

Will leave table if rake is winning tho. :)