You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

help

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Early stages of £55bh. X is unknown and I generally open from button with about 60-80% of hands, almost any 2 when its folded around. I think he plays any low XXcc hand the exact same why and also J9 and possibly Ac10, 8s and 9s. How often am i ahead here? Is this just a marginal situation where I can find a fold? As his calling range in general oop in the early stages that connects with this board only consists of suited connectors, Ax,Kx,Qx,ss hands. But obviously he defends with Q2 lol. What can I do differently.

Hand History #618872819 (21:10 05/02/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
RUNITSRANNSmall blind 15.0015.001925.00
XBig blind 30.0045.002000.00
 Your hole cards
  • J

skully644Fold    
imp90Fold    
kiko999Fold    
RyanC7Raise 90.00135.002265.00
RUNITSRANNFold    
XCall 60.00195.001940.00
Flop

XCheck    
RyanC7Bet 120.00315.002145.00
XRaise 337.50652.501602.50
RyanC7Raise 660.001312.501485.00
XAll-in 1602.502915.000.00
RyanC7All-in 1485.004400.000.00
RyanC7Unmatched bet 325.004075.00325.00
XShow
  • Q

RyanC7Show
  • J

Turn

River

River_FoxWinFlush to the Queen4075.00 4075.00

Hand History #618872819 (21:10 05/02/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
RUNITSRANNSmall blind 15.0015.001925.00
River_FoxBig blind 30.0045.002000.00
 Your hole cards
  • J

skully644Fold    
imp90Fold    
kiko999Fold    
RyanC7Raise 90.00135.002265.00
RUNITSRANNFold    
River_FoxCall 60.00195.001940.00
Flop

River_FoxCheck    
RyanC7Bet 120.00315.002145.00
River_FoxRaise 337.50652.501602.50
RyanC7Raise 660.001312.501485.00
River_FoxAll-in 1602.502915.000.00
RyanC7All-in 1485.004400.000.00
RyanC7Unmatched bet 325.004075.00325.00
XShow
  • Q

RyanC7Show
  • J

Turn

River

XWinFlush to the Queen4075.00 4075.00

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Don't get involved with junk cards on the button, and you keep your stack, simples
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: help:
    Don't get involved with junk cards on the button, and you keep your stack, simples
    Posted by LARSON7
    So results orientaed this post what is wrong with raising j5 suited on the button unopened?  Not going broke here would be a mistake he can have sets, lower flushes, flopped straight 2 pair.  Get it in every time.
  • edited February 2013
    So much doubt, they seem to have it all the time. Starting to think im already beat when i flop nuts. Never had a period this bad in poker, so strange. Variance is bending me over and shoving it 10 foot up there 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: help : So results orientaed this post what is wrong with raising j5 suited on the button unopened?  Not going broke here would be a mistake he can have sets, lower flushes, flopped straight 2 pair.  Get it in every time.
    Posted by bearlyther
    +1

ul op.
  • edited February 2013
    So much doubt, they seem to have it all the time. Starting to think im already beat when i flop nuts. Never had a period this bad in poker, so strange. Variance is bending me over and shoving it 10 foot up there 
    Posted by RyanC7
    I'm in similar situation at the moment. I can't seem to win anything.

The important thing is not to trust those feelings of being useless and analyse your play with a cool head. The play in this hand seems fine, but...

The idea of raising 80% of your button hands is alright but you need to vary that depending on your opponent. Just raising your button because it's your button isn't great if the opponent in the Big Blind is going to call you pre-flop and then never give up on the flop to a c-bet, or someone who's going to 3-bet alot. If that's the case, then just dump the J5 type hands and play more reasonable hands. I don't mean just big pairs or premium hands because you still have huge value with your button, but hands that have decent prospects.

Obviously if they're someone who will give up pre-flop or call then play fit or fold on the flop, then crack on with near enough 100% of your hands until they catch on.

I think it's one of the big problems I have when I'm not playing well: I just go into a robotic style of play and do X because I always do X in this position, with this stack, etc, rather than thinking about the actual circumstances and the players at the table.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: help : I'm in similar situation at the moment. I can't seem to win anything. The important thing is not to trust those feelings of being useless and analyse your play with a cool head. The play in this hand seems fine, but... The idea of raising 80% of your button hands is alright but you need to vary that depending on your opponent. Just raising your button because it's your button isn't great if the opponent in the Big Blind is going to call you pre-flop and then never give up on the flop to a c-bet, or someone who's going to 3-bet alot. If that's the case, then just dump the J5 type hands and play more reasonable hands. I don't mean just big pairs or premium hands because you still have huge value with your button, but hands that have decent prospects. Obviously if they're someone who will give up pre-flop or call then play fit or fold on the flop, then crack on with near enough 100% of your hands until they catch on. I think it's one of the big problems I have when I'm not playing well: I just go into a robotic style of play and do X because I always do X in this position, with this stack, etc, rather than thinking about the actual circumstances and the players at the table.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    i

Doesn't matter how many outs they have they just seem to catch. It sounds desperate and like a losing player, but I actually cant remember the last time i had 3 outs all in pre and actually sucked on someone. I think it was near July 1973. 

My logic behind the J5s button raise is that te hand strength required to open when its folded around is tiny. Position is key. I find it difficult to extract value out of position, difficult to bluff and just generally difficult to navigate a post flop plan. I agree that raising the button with wack hands against the loosest player in the world is bad, but at the same time applies pressure until you do outflop them. Im evening questioning my logic as im typing, sounds absolutely pathetic lol. need a break
  • edited February 2013
    lol sometimes thats what it takes.

You had a few bad beats, like you'll have many bad beats on players in the years you have played.

If your playing style works then dont alter what you are doing just because of a couple of bad beats. Take a break then continue as always.

The button raise with your flush, like others said nothing can be done about that, post flop the hand plays itself.

I just learned something tonight, dont tilt! I done it on sunday, and just went and done it again tonight. In future, ill just take a break after a bad beat.
  • edited February 2013
    Why are you opening 60-80% of hands otb when you don't even know whether getting in a flopped flush is right?

My suggestion is go back to basics, stop playing the way you think you're 'meant' to play.
  • edited February 2013
    That style been successful for me on here as far as Mtts are concerned.

But yeah I agree, especially as one tilty moment every now and again drives me to question everything im doing. 
  • edited February 2013
    what's the problem ?
    you open wide on the button, you flop the world with extensions - man up )

If you cry about these situations then don't open J6s and if u do get out flopped then ul

If your going to open wide and never hit top draws then don't be surprised that sometimes your going to lose to bigger draws
    The only thing you gotta work out is if your losing more than your winning.

Nothing wroung with opening button wide verus a loosey in the blinds, your going to have to c bet a ton anyway if your going to miss lots of flops
  • edited February 2013
    Nice hand River_fox ;)
  • edited February 2013
    Posted by RyanC7
    defo know this feeling haha