You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tricky Spot!

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all!.

For those who dont know I am doing a £200 to £2000 challange, see link below.

My question is whats the most profitable play in this situation?

My thourghts are:

1. Call pree is 100% fine
2. Bet on turn, hmmm not sure, am I getting called by worse very often with 5 people in the pot?
3. Odds to call really :/, just scared hell bet big on river and I have wasted £1.
4. Bets so small I have to call again.

I have left the result covered as i feel its a very results orientated hand whereby if i win I look a genius and if I loose i look a fool. :)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
eaturchipsSmall blind £0.10£0.10£25.10
sighcallBig blind £0.10£0.20£10.38
 Your hole cards
  • A

Sugar_PuffRaise £0.40£0.60£9.60
giggsy280Fold    
connolly08Call £0.40£1.00£7.90
HugeTunaCall £0.40£1.40£15.30
eaturchipsCall £0.30£1.70£24.80
sighcallCall £0.30£2.00£10.08
Flop

• A

eaturchipsCheck    
sighcallBet £1.00£3.00£9.08
Sugar_PuffFold    
connolly08Call £1.00£4.00£6.90
HugeTunaFold    
eaturchipsFold    
Turn

sighcallCheck    
connolly08Bet £1.00£5.00£5.90
sighcallCall £1.00£6.00£8.08
River

• K

sighcallCheck    
connolly08Bet £1.30£7.30£4.60
sighcallCall £1.30£8.60£6.78
connolly08ShowXXXX   
sighcallShow
  • A

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Fold pre

if not then you want more than top pair to continue or catch top pair and c/c - evalute turn

don't donk flop then check turn

a/p

call turn & river - result is irrelevant

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Tricky Spot!:
    Fold pre if not then you want more than top pair to continue or catch top pair and c/c - evalute turn don't donk flop then check turn a/p call turn & river - result is irrelevant
    Posted by rancid
    thanks for the post.

Not too sure about fold pre...but I see where you are coming from.

Flop i feel i have to put something in or it just gets checked round and people catch up. is 1/2 pot a donk bet?

and i 100% agree result is irrelevant thats why I left it out so people wouldnt be swayed by the result.

thanks again.

• edited February 2013
    have you not noticed the 4x UTG, this could easily be better Ax

u don't have to fold pre but would not get excited about a ace high flop

u lead at the pot on a dry flop, which is stroung - so when your called your probably behind
    basically when I say donk, it means you leading into the pre flop raiser

your better off c/c this flop, if it gets checked round on the flop then your ace is  probably good and you can v/b turn & river

no turn card that scares you, if someone does raise you on turn then it's an easy fold

• edited February 2013
    prob just be checking flop here he could have aj+ easily 
  • edited February 2013
    I fold pre with a 4x and all the callers
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the help. Mabye fold pre is best/safest option
  • edited February 2013
    depends what reads you have on the utg but most people have a tight range from here so yeah you could be easily crushed so yeah I prob fold pre but you are getting a good price

I don`t think I donk bet flop prefer c/c and see what happens turn.

but as played yeah think you have to call turn and river the bets are soo small to fold imo
  • edited February 2013
    Just fold pre. You are out of position in a 5 way pot with A,10 o/s. Apart from hitting a str8 or 2 pair this will rarely end well.

As played, the bets are so small compared to pot size you have to call.
  • edited February 2013
    The fact you showed your hand rather than mucking suggests you won the hand.

Pretty much as said above: I prefer folding pre-flop. Don't donk-lead the flop. Check-call instead, but be willing to lay it down to continued aggression.

As played, call down on the turn and river with the price you're offered. Take a note on the villain.
  • edited February 2013
    can call pre if there are some fish in the pot etc, can also squeeze sometimes, but i'm probably folding to an utg 4x

c/c flop to control the pot

flop and turn is fine and i don't see any tricky spots. it'd only be tricky if he'd bet more on either street

• edited February 2013
    For right or wrong, my learning was always that if there is a raise before you, you should only consider calling with hands that flop well, to avoid getting in spots where you are dominated but can't easily find the 'fold' button to escape.

Mainly, but not exclusively, this would mean restricting your calling to suited connectors and pocket pairs - these give you a good view of how strong you are on the flop, if you don't improve you can check/fold, if you do improve you can get a lot of money in and rinse players with top pair/over pair type hands - plus you'd really not mind playing multi-way because when you do hit, there is a better chance of one or more players being strong enough to pay you off.

For the good but more tricky hands, A10/AJ/KJ and even some of the higher suited connectors J10/QJ/KQ you should either raise or fold (with fold being a far greater consideration if out of position to the initial raiser). That way you either take the pot there and then, or better define the strength of the original raiser - ie if they 4-bet then most of the time A10 is a very easy fold as they are most likely to be super-strong, if they flat then there is more chance they may be playing a more speculative hand (pocket pair, suited connectors etc) and that if they don't get too aggressive on the flop then pairing your ten, or even your ace, can give you a bit more confidence that you are ahead.

Either way, the raise will hopefully drive out most hands and leave you heads-up where the decisions post-flop should be that much easier.

On that basis, I think I'd be folding A10 95%+ of the time, especially with 4 people to get a 3-bet past. If the original raiser calls then the odds are likely to look quite tempting for most of the other three players to also call, leaving us in a massively inflated pot with a problematic hand.

Of course, given that NL10 sharks like rancid and flashflush are likely to read this, I will completely deviate from that thinking whenever they are on my table and regularly be flatting their raises with A10os :)
  • edited February 2013
    Can't really add more to what shakinaces posted. If UTG is quite loose an a 3-bet (squeeze) can be quite good but in general I'd fold more often than not for the reason shakinaces posted.