You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU SNG Hyper - Facing a river shove, what to do?

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxSmall blind 20.0020.00505.00
step7Big blind 40.0060.00435.00
 Your hole cards

xxxRaise 60.00120.00445.00
step7Call 40.00160.00395.00
Flop

step7Check    
xxxCheck    
Turn

• A

step7Check    
xxxBet 95.00255.00350.00
step7Call 95.00350.00300.00
River

step7Check    
xxxAll-in 350.00700.000.00

1st game vs villain, so few reads-but not seen them doing anything too out of line.
Had seen them min raise Q2o pre, chk Qxx flop then check-raise me on 3 flush turn when i stabbed with a flush/gutshot draw with over card. So think I made a mistake here not leading to protect my hand, was planning to check raise shove the cbet that never happened! Donk leading is something I rarely do but think I need to get in the habit for Hypers.

The turn here is an obvious scare card but worringly they've set up (intentionally??) their stack for a pot sized bet on the river.

How should I react here on the river readless? Just concede I've fluffed the hand and move on to the next one? So many of my precious chips now in the middle :(

Should I have flatted T8s 11BB deep in 1st place?

Any comments on the hand appreciated as I seem to be hammered with river shoves a lot.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Maybe should of bet on the flop. He's obviously tryna rep the ace, whether he has it is a different matter.
  • edited February 2013
    not sure about pre, probably a fold
    you have not mentioned oppo raising frequency, what's oppo's range pre ?
    How does your hand fair versus oppo's range

flop is ok, leading the flop is never going to be good
    what would you be protecting against, overcards ?
    then why are we defending pre

now it's either a bluff or your beat

think at that level it's that simple

fwiiw probs just fold pre if it's early and it's the first game with oppo
    Build up more of a idea of how oppo plays before you start defending with 108s
    Because it's a 50/50 spot just call and make note - a book of info in that hand alone to be gained

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HU SNG Hyper - Facing a river shove, what to do?:
    not sure about pre, probably a fold you have not mentioned oppo raising frequency, what's oppo's range pre ? How does your hand fair versus oppo's range flop is ok, leading the flop is never going to be good what would you be protecting against, overcards ? then why are we defending pre now it's either a bluff or your beat think at that level it's that simple fwiiw probs just fold pre if it's early and it's the first game with oppo Build up more of a idea of how oppo plays before you start defending with 108s Because it's a 50/50 spot just call and make note - a book of info in that hand alone to be gained
    Posted by rancid
    Yeah but it's heads up? Not saying 10 8 suited is a great hand, but it's not the worst heads up. Can't just play premium hands.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to HU SNG Hyper - Facing a river shove, what to do?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance xxx Small blind   20.00 20.00 505.00 step7 Big blind   40.00 60.00 435.00   Your hole cards 10 8       xxx Raise   60.00 120.00 445.00 step7 Call   40.00 160.00 395.00 Flop     3 6 8       step7 Check         xxx Check         Turn     A       step7 Check         xxx Bet   95.00 255.00 350.00 step7 Call   95.00 350.00 300.00 River     2       step7 Check         xxx All-in   350.00 700.00 0.00             1st game vs villain, so few reads-but not seen them doing anything too out of line. Had seen them min raise Q2o pre, chk Qxx flop then check-raise me on 3 flush turn when i stabbed with a flush/gutshot draw with over card. So think I made a mistake here not leading to protect my hand, was planning to check raise shove the cbet that never happened! Donk leading is something I rarely do but think I need to get in the habit for Hypers. The turn here is an obvious scare card but worringly they've set up (intentionally??) their stack for a pot sized bet on the river. How should I react here on the river readless? Just concede I've fluffed the hand and move on to the next one? So many of my precious chips now in the middle :( Should I have flatted T8s 11BB deep in 1st place? Any comments on the hand appreciated as I seem to be hammered with river shoves a lot.
    Posted by step7
    Hi Step i was representing the ACE. If you bet on flop i would have folded i may have got you then but your a good player and you beat me in the end look forward to next time.
  • edited February 2013
    Calling pre is pretty terrible imo.

Once you get to 20/40 the effective stack is never gonna be bigger than 12xBB and often less, so you just can't be calling OOP with hands like that this look nice but you're just gonna check/fold so many flops

I'd jam pre tbh, you got plenty of FE against most players, and you will have good equity V his calling range anyway for the times he calls. Most people in these don't realise how bad raise/folding from 10xBB is and will do it at will.

As played, I donkbet the flop cos you can still get value from worse hands, protect your hand when he has 2 overs to our pair and you avoid the annoying spot where he just checks behind and a horrible turn card comes down and you have no idea where you are.
  • edited February 2013
    If calling pre i'm never checking that flop, i'm guessing you were going for a check raise but i would just lead out and commit myself or just jam. Gotta agree with Lambert i'm prob just jamming pre unless he has been limping most hands and now suddenly raises.

Just read again saw that you did plan to check raise flop and are aware of not donk betting messing up the hand once you have called.
  • edited February 2013

I'd probably c/c this down...

Would expect an open shove pre flop w/Ax hands, and a cbet on the flop also.

Players @ micro games are normally passive, but if you've already seen him min raise Q2o it suggests he's at least moderately aggressive/competent @ this level compared to most players....

Having seen him min Q2 it makes a jam pre a better option as Ben & Lambert have already said. (he has alot of mr/fold hands in his range, therefore we have significant FE as well as good pot equity v his calling off range)

Normally they limp/limp/limp and then min raise their entire stack off range, so you can jam tighter over a minraise than normal. But a Q2 open suggests a T8s shove here is fine.

I don't like donk leading the flop, we should expect cbets on this board almost always.

Villain did show he can play trappy in the Q2 hand, but that was when he has top pair.(the nuts) Who knows how he's gonna play the same spot when he has nothing (most of the time)? We dnt know yet............

I think you're going to be good a reasonable amount of the time, and I'm curious, so I call.

Make sure u make a good note after tho, whatever the outcome! (and maybe look for more passive/straight forward opponents in the future, there are 00's of em ;))

Sent u a PM yesterday btw step.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi S

Well t8s with 11BB's is a fold really but for a small outlay you may catch nicely so i'm ok with it esp as he is low too. However he has played tricky once before which you did well to notice. So what do you want to be able to push?  Flush draw with a pair or two pair. You've caught top pair and should bet as turn card is likely to create uncertainty.
    I feel that you missed the boat with no bet on the flop and should just fold myself. Now its time to either rer ai or ai if first into the pot with your reduced stack size and an appropriate hand.
  • edited February 2013
    Id probly fold and jam pretty wide the next hand as we have more fold equity.  As played lead out with stack sizes looking to get it in there is so many bad cards to see on the tur and with stack sizes its going to be really tough.  So i prefer leading out as played with the intention of getting it in.  Taking down our equity share in the pot.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HU SNG Hyper - Facing a river shove, what to do?:
    In Response to HU SNG Hyper - Facing a river shove, what to do? : Hi Step i was representing the ACE. If you bet on flop i would have folded i may have got you then but your a good player and you beat me in the end look forward to next time.
    Posted by spinky6108

Lol this hand wasn't against you Spinky! We've never played Hypers (yet ;) - looked forward to our next set of standard/turbo matches tho :)

Thanks for the opinions guys - I will digest and learn :)
    I reckon muck or shove pre next time and as played jam the flop, waiting for a bet from this villain was a big mistake and can't think of many cards after the flop I'm going to love. 

For the results orientated I called - figured small aces jamming pre and big ones cbetting to not let me draw on that flop. Villain showed up with K5o, Well played sir!