You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bliss of a pot limit tournament.

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Won a pl mtt tonight and it was so enjoyable.

No shove and hope for the best betting, pots could be built up gradually with tactical betting on all five community cards.

Only a 12 man field but took hour and a half to play.

Would be nice to see more pl or limit tourneys or sng as it does take away the (sometimes donk) all in where you can be unlucky and knocked out.

Well played to Donnab who really was down to a chip and a chair but came back to take 2nd place.

Comments

• edited December 2009

If a no limit tourny is for donks, then limit  must be for fish! -  Becomes a game of cards rather than a game of poker.

Dnt think an all in move is a donk play, sometimes an all in call could be classed as this.

Congrats on ur win, DOHH

• edited December 2009
    I like no limit and pot limit. They both have their advantages. As achill says you dont get muppets who go all in with 2 7 which i lost to when i pushed all in with my AA on a tournament once. 7 2 called and flopped two pair. i couldnt believe it.

Anyway i also dislike the pot limit because you cant bet massive with the absoulute nuts
  • edited December 2009

In limit I find hands like AA get beat far more often because you cant bet people of the bet so they are calling with silly hands more often.

I do play pot limit now and again but find theres far more fish in it than NL

Congrats on your win tho :)

Gareth

• edited December 2009

Well done Achill!

I must try & play a few of these Pot Limit Tournaments.

Pot-Limit is not terribly popular amongst the younger shove-monkeys, but it's a much more skilled version of Texas Hold 'Em than No-Limit. It's hard to find Live Pot Limit Events, too, but I won a few nice Festival Pot Limit Events when I was doing the Circuit, & I adore the game. The "No-Limit" advocates are hopelessly at sea with Pot Limit, as you need to take flops, & play down the streets much more than in No-Limit, & they struggle dreadfully with proper bet-sizing. Try playing 4-4 OOP in the ealy stages of a Pot-Limit Tourney - that's some neat trick!

Conversely, I don't enjoy Limit poker, but it's rarely played in the UK anyway.

By the bye, Omaha Tourneys & Cash are almost exclusively Pot-Limit.
  • edited December 2009
    when if ever will omaha be coming to the site tikay?

thanks
  • FBSFBS
    edited December 2009
    We had  cash Pot Limit Round of Each at my local club last week...

IMHO it was a far better game than the usual All In shove fest of NL Hold Em ... even though I did end up a loser :(
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Bliss of a pot limit tournament.:
    when if ever will omaha be coming to the site tikay? thanks
    Posted by barnsie
    They don't give firm dates barnsie, because if they miss them, they get castigated.

Suffice to say it's in the late stages of Testing. I "had a play" on it (the Test Site) a few weeks back, & I was incredibly impressed - & excited - by it.

But they have to ensure all the bugs are ironed out before they release - poker players are unforgiving when things go wrong, so it's best to get it right. It's the nature of intricate software architecture that when you fix one problem, something else pops up elsewhere as a sort of collteral action, so it's being thoroughly tested.

But...."sooner than you think".

That applies to some other vey big changes & improvements to the Site, too. All of which will find wholesale approval if I'm not mistaken.

Things will look very different very soon......

Please don't press me further on his, I'll get in trouble with Suit-City, but BIG things are in late-stage progress.
  • edited December 2009
    We had  cash Pot Limit Round of Each at my local club last week... IMHO it was a far better game than the usual All In shove fest of NL Hold Em ... even though I did end up a loser :(
    Posted by FBS
    It - Pot-Limit - is a truly wonderful game FBS, so much more depth to it.

No-Limit has been in vogue for a good while now, because anybody can play it, but to master Pot-Limit is a whole new ball-game. Less muscle & shovel it in, a lot more thinking.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Bliss of a pot limit tournament. : They don't give firm dates barnsie, because if they miss them, they get castigated. Suffice to say it's in the late stages of Testing. I "had a play" on it (the Test Site) a few weeks back, & I was incredibly impressed - & excited - by it. But they have to ensure all the bugs are ironed out before they release - poker players are unforgiving when things go wrong, so it's best to get it right. It's the nature of intricate software architecture that when you fix one problem, something else pops up elsewhere as a sort of collteral action, so it's being thoroughly tested. But...."sooner than you think". That applies to some other vey big changes & improvements to the Site, too. All of which will find wholesale approval if I'm not mistaken. Things will look very different very soon...... Please don't press me further on his, I'll get in trouble with Suit-City, but BIG things are in late-stage progress.
    Posted by Tikay10
    waits with baited breath...................OMOHA....i love the game
  • edited December 2009

I wonder how long it takes to adapt a NLHE game to play Omaha. Ive never played omaha before, apart from half an hour on a play money table, which doesnt count coz every1 goes all in every hand.

Anyone been thru the transformation from NLHE to Omaha? How long does it take till you can play to a decent standard, grasp the starting hands etc?

Whats the best hand in omaha? is it  AK suited twice?

Complete omaha novice, wud like to learn tho.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you guys.

I did'nt post thread to brag about the win just how enjoyable playing pot limit was.

Did'nt think there was anything but no limit on here and came across this purely by chance seconds before it started.

Will be looking out for them from now on.

achill
  • edited December 2009
    I wonder how long it takes to adapt a NLHE game to play Omaha. Ive never played omaha before, apart from half an hour on a play money table, which doesnt count coz every1 goes all in every hand. Anyone been thru the transformation from NLHE to Omaha? How long does it take till you can play to a decent standard, grasp the starting hands etc? Whats the best hand in omaha? is it  AK suited twice? Complete omaha novice, wud like to learn tho. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We will do some basic Omaha strategy threads to help those who have not played it before.

Starting hand values do not really transfer across from Texas to Omaha.
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you guys. I did'nt post thread to brag about the win just how enjoyable playing pot limit was. Did'nt think there was anything but no limit on here and came across this purely by chance seconds before it started.   Will be looking out for them from now on. achill
    Posted by achill
    I know theres one at 9.05pm i think its every night £$50 guaranteed only played it twice like you i won it first time, next night I thoguht id do well again but failed misserably
  • edited December 2009
    Hi 35suited

Had a good look and there were 3 tonight, played in the 22.05 one and cashed again so i'm well happy.

Really good play on the bubble from last 4 players.
  • edited December 2009
    I wonder how long it takes to adapt a NLHE game to play Omaha. Ive never played omaha before, apart from half an hour on a play money table, which doesnt count coz every1 goes all in every hand. Anyone been thru the transformation from NLHE to Omaha? How long does it take till you can play to a decent standard, grasp the starting hands etc? Whats the best hand in omaha? is it  AK suited twice? Complete omaha novice, wud like to learn tho. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    From my limited experience not very easy, although to be fair, i haven't tried too hard.

Have a mate who's a much better PLO player than he is NLHE, as i'm a much better NLHE player than I am PLO. But despite hours of drawn out conversation covering many different angles and opinions from both types of the game, the vast difference in our ability remains!

Although the twice weekly cash game we have at our local club is NLHE so it's not all bad!
  • edited December 2009
    its a game that takes a little while to learn but once you have you will enjoy it massively

this is good news tikay, i am not silly enough to realise that holdem isnt + ev for me anymore as i dont put enough hours in and the standard is miles better than 5 years ago, i do profit from omaha live and online and will certainly be putting in some hours here when omaha becomes a fixture.

thanks for your reply
  • edited December 2009
    well done achill