You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

thought's...

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
A hand from NL10 cash game.

Thourghts on my play please.

Put him on QQ/KK. thourght only way i can win is by reppin the ace. Is it a supid bluff really?PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancejcleggy24Small blind £0.05£0.05£9.94ladyveeBig blind £0.10£0.15£2.48 Your hole cardsJJ   sighcallRaise £0.40£0.55£10.40SHANXTAFold    bobatFold    Poplar134Raise £1.00£1.55£9.83jcleggy24Fold    ladyveeFold    sighcallCall £0.60£2.15£9.80Flop  824   sighcallCheck    Poplar134Bet £1.00£3.15£8.83sighcallCall £1.00£4.15£8.80Turn  A   sighcallCheck    Poplar134Bet £1.00£5.15£7.83sighcallCall £1.00£6.15£7.80River  7   sighcallCheck    Poplar134Bet £1.00£7.15£6.83sighcallAll-in £7.80£14.95£0.00      

Comments

• edited February 2013
    think ur reads prob in the right region, in general when someone bets the same amount they did on the flop in this case £1 on flop turn and river. this normally means their hand strenth has stayed the same. i woiuld read this as they were pretty happy on the flop, bit of a scary card on the turn but still wanna bet for sum reason jus not as much as i dont have top pair now.. ans same on the river.. 

in some cases u might see them bet £1 on flop and turn but with what they think is the best hand on river they'll go all-in or bet larger themselves..

the only problem is that reppin just and Ace when someone has KK or QQ or a 'nice' hand.. they may jus click call.... best way to exploit lower limits id say is to value bet rather than bluff..
  • edited February 2013
    I can't see how you can put him on KK/QQ here, is he only 3 betting these hands pre. Especially in the blinds. It is likely he is pretty decent but surely you would have to include AK AQ JJ TT in his range here, even AJ 99 88.It wouldn't suprise me if he calls with and ace or a set here but guessing he actually had KK or QQ and he called

Edit: Also if I have KK or QQ on that river I would likely call
  • edited February 2013
    We have some showdown value dont check raise just check call.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi,

thanks for the help, looking back mabye I should have just called and hoped I was good.

My thinking is this...

PRE - I really hate when people do this, I feel its the exact amout where hes saying, i have a strong hand but please call me. I know i will get stick for this but I was very close to a fold. 

FLOP - obv love this flop. but cant raise as every hand folds i feel except the ones i loose to. Again I am very scared of the AA,KK,QQ but I feel i have to call.

TURN - he makes a bet which has to be called, can I fold here? I dont feel he has an ace.

RIVER - I feel I am behind here, and to call and him show QQ would annoy me as I feel like i could have taken him off it.

How would you play it? Just call down and hope your good? Fold?

I will reveal what he did when a few more people have commented.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: thought's...:
    We have some showdown value dont check raise just check call.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Hi,

yes this is what i was close to doing, i think i was trying to be too clever.

Just screamed KK/QQ to me and would have annoyed me if i call he shows that and i think that i should have gone with my read.

I mean he plays it exactly like alot of people here would play KK/QQ,

Small rasie pre/ small bet on a very nice flop/see ace and get scared, but dont want to show weakness by checking/ bet again on river as they are not sure what to do.

wth an ace im sure he best at least 1/2 pot on turn for a bit of protection/get more moeny in.

with a set i feel he bets more on river as hes missing out on so much value with such a small bet. also the way i have played shows i am check/calling down therefore for him to bet that small is unlikely
  • edited February 2013
    imo i think you have played the hand fine until river.

flop- is dry and quite safe unless he has over pair aa-qq which is possible but when you call his 3bet you should be happy with this flop so yeah I prob c/c see what they do on turn.

turn obv we don`t like the ace but his bet sizing is so small I ain`t folding.

river though i`m never c/r with a hand like jacks when there is a good chance you could be good just c/c.
  • edited February 2013
    lol i wouldnt be shoving river unlessim on tilit :P he would easily have a8 or ax but hit his kicker on flop... unless he is uber tight then not bad play. even still i can see he isint the greatest of players by the amount he is betting lol im callinf river not shoving
  • edited February 2013
    Think I might of 4b/f pre vs that sizing as disgusting as it sounds. OOP and without initiative it's going to be hard to be play JJ down the streets efficiently.

Meh as played, and with given reads I think checking calling river is probably bad.. What showdown value do we have if we put villain on QQ/KK solely?? Villains needs to have at least some hand combos that we can beat left in his range. I think c/fing is never going to be too bad in this spot (other then seeming rather weak) or doing what you did is fine.

• edited February 2013
    If the range you give him for 3-betting pre-flop is AA, KK, QQ and big Aces, then you shouldn't be calling the turn. If you want to make your hand into a bluff then that's the spot to do it, though I think you should just fold at that point if that's his entire range.

The question I'd ask is about your plan on the river. When you checked, he has to bet exactly £1 to even give you the chance to check-raise. He only has a pot-sized bet back after the turn action so you have to know that he's so bad that he will only ever bet £1 or less. So what was your real plan when you checked the river?

I suspect you came up with this idea of bluffing only after seeing his bet. Were you just hoping he'd check back? What do we think his range for checking back the river is? He knows he probably can't win with KQ if he checks back so he probably bluffs with that, especially since you look so weak. So he probably only checks hands that beat us unless we're putting TT or worse in his pre-flop 3-betting range.

My point would be that if you check, thinking that he only ever bets £1, then you can't say that his range is weak for doing so. If he bets bigger with made hands, then why do you wait until the river to turn your hand into that bluff? Which hands are you representing when you check-raise this river? If you had two-pair or better, would you really check this river after his £1, £1, £1 line? I doubt you would check with those hands and risk him checking back, and I doubt you check-raise many Aces that you don't 4-bet with pre-flop.

Anyway, when you check-call the turn for £1, I think you're committed to check-calling the £1 on the river. This 7 has changed nothing and now your pot odds are 7:1. Seeing what he does this with will be worth that 10BB, in my opinion.

We need to have our plan on the turn, though, and calling that turn bet hoping that he checks back a blank river is bad as he probably only checks with something that beats us. If we're calling the turn thinking that we're going to turn our hand into a bluff on the river, I don't think we can do anything but open-shove the river. Checking is just so unlikely to give us a bluffing opportunity... I wouldn't like this idea but it seems the only way we can rationally call the turn to bluff the river. The alternative is that we're calling the turn because we think there's a good chance our JJ are good so we should be willing to check-call the river.

Just fold the turn, in my opinion. Sorry if this is a bit rambly. I think it makes sense but I'm pretty tired.
  • edited February 2013
    @Shaun09 - lol, i wasnt on tilt, just trying to be negreaneau i think ;). Yeh i dont think this player 3 bets with A8/88 pre. mabye i need to keep a closer eye.

@NColley - really dont like 4 betting. IMO at this level he has a strong holding when he 3 bets and then may call with QQ/KK then we get it in on the flop and i loose. Any hands like 1010 which i beat i think fold to a 4 - bet. mabye im wrong...:/

@BorinLoner - I think you are correct reading your post - thanks. :) Just the way he prices me in on all the streets makes me wanna call turn. Yeh if i call turn prob should just call river, just his bet sizing screamed KK/QQ to me as any other holdings bet bigger on turn/river.

I just feel I "had" to call on the streets - but I suppose as TK says you never "have" to do anything in poker.
  • edited February 2013
    does oppo fold ?

c/c down

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: thought's...:
    does oppo fold ? c/c down
    Posted by rancid
    he calls me and shows AA.

Makes sence tbh just think people would usually bet bigger on river as i look like i am in chek call mode.
  • edited February 2013
    I mean before you bluff ask yoursefl does oppo fold

If they never fold then why bluff

• edited February 2013
    i feel he folds QQ/KK