You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Betting to induce with weak s/d value

Pretty cool hand i thought i'd post, just to show that you don't need the nizzuts to be betting to induce.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
v Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £149.60
LadyFingrs Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £510.10
  Your hole cards
  • A

v Raise   £3.50 £5.00 £146.10
LadyFingrs Call   £3.00 £8.00 £507.10
Flop

LadyFingrs Check        
v Bet   £6.00 £14.00 £140.10
LadyFingrs Call   £6.00 £20.00 £501.10
Turn

• K

LadyFingrs Check        
v Check        
River

• K

LadyFingrs Bet   £11.00 £31.00 £490.10
v Raise   £33.00 £64.00 £107.10
LadyFingrs Call   £22.00 £86.00 £468.10
v Show

LadyFingrs Show
  • A

LadyFingrs Win Two Pairs, Kings and 9s £85.00   £553.10

Comments

• edited December 2009
    nice play, im taking it for granted you were more than familiar with this villian..

what was your play had he barrelled the turn??
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Betting to induce with weak s/d value:
    nice play, im taking it for granted you were more than familiar with this villian.. what was your play had he barrelled the turn??
    Posted by royal_hugo
    Call, I feel like alot of his non K s/d value hands probably check behind the turn, but Kings are really standard barrel cards, so I feel im good a large % of the time + I have NFD so, yeah.

When he checked behind, if the river bricked, i would c/f.

Though this villain was particularly insane, I feel this is prob good against any thinking player capable of making non-standard plays.

• edited December 2009
    Forgive my ignorance here. When you say betting to induce, I take it you mean to induce a bluff.  I have gone over and over this hand in my head.
    This river bet just looks like a value bet.  Were you pleased when villain raised?  I wouldnt have been and it would be an uncomfortable call.
  • edited December 2009
    Did you put him on a three that had been counterfeited?

In HU cash would you expect a reraise bluff on the river?  In MTT F/O I would give the check up to induce a river bluff to represent a value bet.

BTW I watched you play HU 0.5/1 the other night and was impressed when you had a player on tilt who was giving you 100 quid at a time, that you initiated a conversation with him and asked him if he wanted to carry on you would be there for 20 mins.  He calmed down a bit a took a little back, you certainly didnt hit and run!  So I guess I am saying is you practice what you preach.
  • edited December 2009
    Was sure you had an underpair to the board and would be forced to fold your 6/7/8 high! Very good line to take, lucky I didnt barrel turn because we'd have played for stacks!
  • edited December 2009
    Forgive my ignorance here. When you say betting to induce, I take it you mean to induce a bluff.  I have gone over and over this hand in my head. This river bet just looks like a value bet.  Were you pleased when villain raised?  I wouldnt have been and it would be an uncomfortable call.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    No, it was not a value bet as such, it was a bet to induce a bluff because alot of his "check behind" range on the turn gets counterfeited on the river, as do a decent amount of my c/c hands on the flop.
  • edited December 2009
    Was sure you had an underpair to the board and would be forced to fold your 6/7/8 high! Very good line to take, lucky I didnt barrel turn because we'd have played for stacks!
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    Don't get me wrong, I like your river-raise, but I think you should have made it a little smaller, because if im b/f it doesn't really matter how much you raise on that board, my b/f range is like, <8 high, so you give yourself a better price on the bluff.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Betting to induce with weak s/d value : No, it was not a value bet as such, it was a bet to induce a bluff because alot of his "check behind" range on the turn gets counterfeited on the river, as do a decent amount of my c/c hands on the flop.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    ok ty.  I`m pretty bad at hu so I like reading these posts from bigger players.

Why did you opt to bet this river instead of c/c?,  surely by betting you are giving v a chance to fold?, and if he is insane like you say, with no s/d value he is bound to bet.

What I mean is there must be a far greater chance he would bet when checked to than raise when bet into?  You mustve had super reads on this v to make this play +ev,

or not I dunno.  Maybe I dont know what Im talking about lol. 

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Betting to induce with weak s/d value : ok ty.  I`m pretty bad at hu so I like reading these posts from bigger players. Why did you opt to bet this river instead of c/c?,  surely by betting you are giving v a chance to fold?, and if he is insane like you say, with no s/d value he is bound to bet. What I mean is there must be a far greater chance he would bet when checked to than raise when bet into?  You mustve had super reads on this v to make this play +ev, or not I dunno.  Maybe I dont know what Im talking about lol. 
    Posted by OMahonyO
    But my percieved betting range on the river out of hands that get to the river this way are, K's full a very small % of the time, and Pairs smaller than 9's, and maybe some weird OOP floats, so vs a villain comeptant enough to assign ranges and act accordingly, he's going to be bluff raising here a tonne.

I'm not saying c/c is not +EV, I'm saying b/c is more +EV