You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold flop/ river?

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This was a hand from a cash game today, When i put in a continuation bet on flop and am reraised, I guess I should have folded? Didn't have any read on the player.

When i hit my king on turn, i'm not in love with my hand. Decide to call. When the flush comes out on River, i dont think he's rerasing me with a flush draw, but still I'm not in love with my set of Kings.

I was going to fold, but at this minute called, cause it wasn't a massive amount oppo had behind.
cfc74 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.59
dgw69 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.54
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

gunner421 Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £7.94
Frogmella Fold     
MADDOG22 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £2.65
cfc74 Fold     
dgw69 Fold     
Flop

LARSON7 Bet  £0.15 £0.45 £7.79
MADDOG22 Raise  £0.30 £0.75 £2.35
LARSON7 Call  £0.15 £0.90 £7.64
Turn

• K

LARSON7 Check     
MADDOG22 Bet  £0.45 £1.35 £1.90
LARSON7 Call  £0.45 £1.80 £7.19
River

• K

LARSON7 Check     
MADDOG22 All-in

Another hand, i think i'm ahead here, I posted a similiar hnd to this before and oppo had flopped the nut straight. I'm thinking im ahead here (due to previous play) Dont think I can fold here.

Cub28 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.06
nufc1966 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.49
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

tyrekicker Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.90
soundie Fold     
spursutd Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £3.83
Cub28 Fold     
nufc1966 Call  £0.12 £0.38 £2.37
tyrekicker Call  £0.12 £0.50 £2.78
Flop

• J
  • A

nufc1966 Check     
tyrekicker All-in  £2.78 £3.28 £0.00
LARSON7 Call  £2.78 £6.06 £1.05
nufc1966 Fold     
tyrekicker Show
  • J
  • Q

LARSON7 Show
  • K
  • A

Turn

• K

River

tyrekicker Win Straight to the Ace

Comments

• edited February 2013
    On the first hand it would be nice to have some reads on the opponent. What range do we give him for calling on the button, pre-flop? What range are we subsequently giving him for raising this flop? How often does he min-raise with air here?

If we're calling the flop raise because we think we have the best hand then we have to give him lots of draws or air. You say you don't give him credit for raising this flop with a flush draw, so why do you call? What makes you think he doesn't do this with a flush draw, anyway? If you're thinking he only does this with a made hand, then just fold. If you think he has air, then what's the plan on turn and river if we miss? Are we calling him down with AK-high?

On the turn and river, we have to think his raise on the flop was either with air which he's continued with or he had just a one-pair or two-pair hand that now we beat but he still thinks he can get value from, in spite of the flush coming in. That's unlikely. Be aware also, that his shove on the river is basically a pot-sized bet and so doesn't represent anything too unusal. However, with the action on the flop, unless you know this guy to be very bluffy, you should give him alot of credit for a hand.

Think about it from his point of view if he had 69 on the flop (the strongest flopped-hand we now beat): He's been called on the flop and the flush-draw has come in on the turn. Now he's been called again and his two-pair is counterfeited into (effectively) second pair with no kicker on the river. Does he really value bet all-in here?

The only caveat is that some of his air hands for raising the flop will contain a King that he value bets on the turn and river with. If you had a flush on the turn, you've played it very passively on the turn and river so he may be looking for some thin value from your 9 or pocket TT, JJ, etc. Again, though, it would be nice to have reads that your opponent is playing in position to allow him to bluff small on the flop. It does make some sense as that flop does nothing to help a raiser's range.

I think it's definitely a fold on the flop without reads. We should just give our opponent credit for something until we know more about them. In fact, if we think our opponent is making a move on us on the flop, we should still probably fold because it will be really hard to play the turn and river out of position to a player like that. Alternatively we can 3-bet the flop but we're doing so with a hand of little potential and we need to be able to continue on later streets to bluff off one-pair hands. The danger of doing this out of position to a tricky opponent would mean a fold is still probably better.
  • edited February 2013
    The second hand is just about the range you give your opponent for this shove. Some players just shove the nuts here and others shove a wider range including draws and combo hands.

If we think he has a wide range, then call. If he has a narrow range, fold. Obvious answer but I can't give you any other. Try playing around with pokerstove and various ranges and see how your hand fairs against them.

Definitely take a note that this player doesn't need the nuts to donk-shove the flop.