You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUSNG Strategy post

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat

Morning all,

Just started to play the micro Turbo HUSNG and was looking for some advice/help on some of the different stages of the game. Although I still have a lot to learn I feel quite comfortable playing a 20+bb stack and playing the shove/fold game at 10bb and below, Its the 10-20bb stack that im really struggling to play.

I like to apply constant pressure to villain by raising alot of buttons but find at these stack sizes im raising alot getting called and then not sure weather to c-bet when I miss as if I do and get called again iv'e invested half my stack with nothing.

What about limping at these stages? is that a valid option? I know it can be an exploitable play but at the Micro's the games a very passive and we get to see cheap flops without investing much and the players are not good enough to exploit our play.

Can we raise/fold out of a stack size of 12-15bb or is this bad play?

Sorry for all the questions.

Moon

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Are you playing the 500 stack turbos or the 1000 stack turbos ?
  • edited February 2013
    Thought all the turbos have 1000? the hypers have 500?
  • edited February 2013
    There the 1000 chip starting stack turbos
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG Strategy post:
    Thought all the turbos have 1000? the hypers have 500?
    Posted by shaun09
    Yeah but i know some people call the 500 chip nes turbos. Just wanted calification. 

I think in this structure we can cbet early, infact id cbet often to get a feel for the oppo and let them get frustrated and shove into us when we have it. 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to HUSNG Strategy post:
    Morning all, Just started to play the micro Turbo HUSNG and was looking for some advice/help on some of the different stages of the game. Although I still have a lot to learn I feel quite comfortable playing a 20+bb stack and playing the shove/fold game at 10bb and below, Its the 10-20bb stack that im really struggling to play. I like to apply constant pressure to villain by raising alot of buttons but find at these stack sizes im raising alot getting called and then not sure weather to c-bet when I miss as if I do and get called again iv'e invested half my stack with nothing. What about limping at these stages? is that a valid option? I know it can be an exploitable play but at the Micro's the games a very passive and we get to see cheap flops without investing much and the players are not good enough to exploit our play. Can we raise/fold out of a stack size of 12-15bb or is this bad play? Sorry for all the questions. Moon
    Posted by Moonlit81
    All depends on your opponents!

How big do you open at this stage? Min raise is the best way to go.

Raising alot of buttons works if your opponent is folding alot.

If he's calling alot, then you can be more selective about the hands you min raise. And mix in some limps.

If your opponent is loose passive, and calling alot of your min raises, you can limp in some hands that you would normally raise, and min raise your hands that flop well more often, normally 2 high cards, TJ/TQ/JK/9Js/ 9T etc, as well as all big aces and pairs of course.

Unless he's calling your min raises pre and just check/folding loads of flops, then we can keep min raising our entire opening range, and cbet loads and win chips that way.

Hard to answer because there's so many things to think about.

Assess the type of player you are playing as soon as possible, then you can make assumptions about what's best until you've played enough to have solid reads.

How often does he fold to min raises?
    How often does he shove or 3bet over our min-raise?
    How often does he raise/shove if we limp?
    How does he play on the flop? Does he check/fold alot in raised pots?
    Does he check/fold alot in limp pots?
    Does he call down light?
    Does he call flops and then c/f the turn, or go with his hand anytime he makes a pair?
    Will he notice if we suddenly start limping weaker hands and raising stronger ones?
    If he notices, does he know how to adapt?

Limping is seen as weak in any other form of poker, it's a very very valid play in HU sngs, so it's certainly an option!

• edited February 2013
    I wish i had read that post when i was properly getting into grinding HU would of saved me alot of time and money lol when it clicked how important classifying my opponent was and not just thinking about myself and playing a default way i soon became a much better hu player. I have emailed you them pdfs by the way moon- i'm sure moshman goes over some ways of approaching different stack sizes although i can't remember specifically.
  • edited February 2013
    Cheers Dohhhhhhh that makes a lot of sense, guess there's a lot of adjusting and counter adjusting as we develop reads/tendencies??  Something that I definitely need to work and improve on.
    Just out of interest I know you have played alot of these games from your diary etc, in your opinion what sort of standard is the play on sky like up to and including the £5 level compared to other sites? and what would you class a decent ROI at the lower levels?

Benc- Yeah cheers mate got the PDF's some good stuff there, just starting reading Mental game of poker, plus downloaded some free vids from HUSNG.com, Think there could be quite a big edge to be had at these games particularly at the lower levels.

Anyways loads to think about and learn!! Cheers for the help guys.

Moon

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: HUSNG Strategy post:
    Cheers Dohhhhhhh that makes a lot of sense, guess there's a lot of adjusting and counter adjusting as we develop reads/tendencies??  Something that I definitely need to work and improve on. Just out of interest I know you have played alot of these games from your diary etc, in your opinion what sort of standard is the play on sky like up to and including the £5 level compared to other sites? and what would you class a decent ROI at the lower levels? Benc- Yeah cheers mate got the PDF's some good stuff there, just starting reading Mental game of poker, plus downloaded some free vids from HUSNG.com, Think there could be quite a big edge to be had at these games particularly at the lower levels. Anyways loads to think about and learn!! Cheers for the help guys. Moon  
    Posted by Moonlit81
    Sorry about the delay in replying moon.

First highlighted bit....

Yea there is quite alot of this involved, it depends on the stakes you are playing.

At the lower stakes, you will find that lots of opponents have very similar tendancies. They are mainly loose passive players. So once you work out a game plan for 1, you can use that as a default strategy for every new player until they give you reason to do otherwise.

Very few players will be competent and be good enough to adapt and adjust to your own style, and if you do encounter someone like this @ micros, it's normally quite easy to avoid them because the player pool is relatively big.

As you start moving up, obviously players will become more difficult to play against, but they remain loose passive in the main. You get some bad aggressive players too, they normally make themselves known pretty quickly (opening 4xbb, open shoving from the small blind, betting full pot on the flop all the time etc etc)

Then you can just make subtle adjustments.

Can count on 1 hand the number of players that have given me real headaches @ the £20 and under HU hyper games over an 18 month period.

Biggest enemy ofc is always going to be the 5% rake, and the insane varience.

------------

2nd highlighted bit.....

The standard on Sky as always is worse than other sites.

I'm going to be comparing my results accross a few sites on the diary tomorrow so keep an eye out.

Other sites have lower rake though, so a lower win-rate on other sites than on Sky, can result in the same ROI as Sky.

I'm also pretty sure that the superior software on other sites means that you get more hands in per blind level. Every little helps, when trying to reduce varience when you have an edge, playing more hands per 2 minute blind level is a plus.

------------

Decent ROI?

For turbo games, I'd say maybe 5% is very good, for hyper games, anything +ve is impressive @ 5% rake. I'd say 2/3% is awesome, and anything above that is amazing. I think probably anything above 4% for Hyper HU games on sky is un-sustainable long term.

Will be sending you and Benc a PM later today.

gl
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Moonlit81

I feel i can just add a little bit to the part what u ask about the players on SKY. As DOHHHHHHH said most players at the lower level are loose passive players, but if you want to have an even bigger edge, play in the evenings or early hours as you will be amazed how poor some of the players are, they really will call you off with anything. Its better than watching a comedy channel at times.
  • edited February 2013
    Cheers Dohhhhhhh

Sent you a pm bud