You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20NL - Calling turn w/ GS + NFD

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Can/should we call this turn bet. What line do we take throughout? I'm not even considering raising cos I don't think we get folds.

Assuming the 4 x 10s are outs and the 9 spades what do we think? I know I'm not getting the direct odds to call on the turn, but if we can get a decent V-bet through on the river or even stack him if he jams like this with his 2prs and sets obv I'll hold the nuts w/ the flush unless it's the 4s or Js that comes??

Or is this just leaking money?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shouting Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £15.50
Grafix Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £31.97
  Your hole cards
  • A

Tony826 Fold        
paddy27879 Fold        
CAPITALISM Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £19.10
shouting Call   £0.50 £1.40 £15.00
Grafix Fold        
Flop

• J
  • K

shouting Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £0.80 £2.20 £18.30
shouting Call   £0.80 £3.00 £14.20
Turn

• Q

shouting Bet   £2.00 £5.00 £12.20
Lambert180 Call   £2.00 £7.00 £16.30
River

shouting All-in   £12.20 £19.20 £0.00
Lambert180 Fold        
shouting Muck        
shouting Win   £6.65   £6.65
shouting Return   £12.20 £0.35 £18.85

Comments

• edited February 2013
    don't like it

if oppo got £18 back then it's ok

• edited February 2013
    When he calls your continuation bet on the flop, you know you're behind obviously at these stakes. Hes got a king minimum, possibly even KQ or KJ.

£2 to call on turn for a pot of £7, bit slim odds. Not a profitable call in the long run. But sometimes you just have to go for it!

• edited February 2013
    I'm not interested in 'just going for it' lol I wanna know if it's correct or not but I'm rubbish with comparing pot odds to equity.

If I assume my 13 outs are clean which is true against 2prs but I lose 2 outs against a set, then I am 3to1 to catch up on the river.

Assuming I can get £4 minimum out of him on the river, that means I will win a pot of £15 for the £2 that I put in on the turn. Obviously it's very rough and doesn't account for me sometimes splitting and other various outcomes but is this kind of in the right ballpark of thinking? and if so, does that mean the call is ok?
  • edited February 2013
    obviously you know you are not getting the correct odds but if you think your opponent will pay off a sizeable bet on the river I don`t mind calling turn but it defo depends on what you think of your opponent.

also I prefer your opponent to have a bigger stack so its possible to get his whole stack and win more possibly on the river

just my opinion but i`m prob thinking about it wrong way.
  • edited February 2013
    I think I prob call turn. Backdoor flushes are like goldmines.
  • edited February 2013

if you hit how much do you need to win to make it +EV

How much do you plan to bet on river if you hit and will you get paid and is it enough to make it +EV
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Calling turn w/ GS + NFD:
    if you hit how much do you need to win to make it +EV How much do you plan to bet on river if you hit and will you get paid and is it enough to make it +EV
    Posted by rancid
    That's my question Rancid lol, I'm no good at working it out so hoped someone else could do it/tell me how to do it.

I know I'm like 3to1 to hit assuming as I say my outs are clean.

Well obv in this spot, he's jammed so I'd call with my made hands and that's great, dunno if he'd jam 100% of rivers or what. If he checks the river though, I think I can squeeze £4+ out of him. I'd probably go something like £4.50.

FWIW, I hear what you're saying about him being deeper, but the pot by the river is only £7 and he's got £12 behind so nearly double the pot. Surely it doesn't matter too much if he has £20 or £100 left (99% of the time) cos unless he's a complete spewtard he's never gonn c/r the river then call my 3bet with worse (assuming I river the nuts) so I'm likely only gonna get a V-bet out of him whatever he has behind.  Please tell me why I'm wrong if I am :)
  • edited February 2013
    pm u

basically if you hit,  your hand is not very well disguised your implied odds are not that good

although depends a lot of oppo and etc.. but I would want to see more behind oppo for the times when oppo is bad and will stack with worse. Espcially if oppo somehow has the str or weaker flush, or just stacks sets/2prs.

• edited February 2013
    wouldnt call 3/4 pot on turn like 28% chance of making something by the river and even then you might not get payed off if you do
  • edited February 2013
    Well this is the debate loololollo... and it's 2/3 pot :)

Talking with Dohhh, I think this is right....

Assume 25% equity, so if I'm calling £2, that means I need to win £8 to make it break even.

I'm already winning the £5 already in there minimum if I hit, so if I get £3 out of him on the river when I think then it's BE and I'm pretty confident I can get more than that.
  • edited February 2013
    Well this is the debate loololollo... and it's 2/3 pot :) Talking with Dohhh, I think this is right.... Assume 25% equity, so if I'm calling £2, that means I need to win £8 to make it break even. I'm already winning the £5 already in there minimum if I hit, so if I get £3 out of him on the river when I think then it's BE and I'm pretty confident I can get more than that.
    Posted by Lambert180

Well this is it, how much can you get - if your hand is very well disguised then you have more of a chance of getting more and wouldn't that be even better if oppo got more behind if you really think oppo will stack - probably not but you get my drift

But here you hand is so obvious, maybe you have a better chance getting paid if you hit flush but it's not like you have a hidden straight. Would be so nice if oppo got btm str 910ss lol, cooler- but you would want more for nutz though init !

edit: think it's about £6.50 for break even - quick maths

So you basically want to stack oppo, how possible is that
  • edited February 2013
    Well the str8 is very open but I think the flush is very disguised, it's a BDF for one.

I don't think flatting the turn is always gonna be a hand like this.
  • edited February 2013
    Well the str8 is very open but I think the flush is very disguised, it's a BDF for one. I don't think flatting the turn is always gonna be a hand like this.
    Posted by Lambert180

At the point you call you have to win another £6.50 for the reminder of the hand.
    I am sure you don't take into account previous streets and what is in the pot already.
  • edited February 2013
    Yep call in this spot our hand is discuised if the backdoor flush comes in and we will get paid.