You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20NL - Free Flop from BB

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Did I play this fine?

What do you think of the donkbet and my sizing? What about my sizing on the turn.

I was happy with my sizing on the river but feel free to tell me where if it could be better.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CAPITALISM Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.40
Lambert180 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £24.03
  Your hole cards

shouting Call   £0.20 £0.50 £14.62
Grafix Fold        
Tony826 Call   £0.20 £0.70 £19.58
wullie1303 Fold        
CAPITALISM Call   £0.10 £0.80 £19.30
Lambert180 Check        
Flop

CAPITALISM Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £0.40 £1.20 £23.63
shouting Call   £0.40 £1.60 £14.22
Tony826 Call   £0.40 £2.00 £19.18
CAPITALISM Fold        
Turn

Lambert180 Bet   £1.10 £3.10 £22.53
shouting Call   £1.10 £4.20 £13.12
Tony826 Fold        
River

• J

Lambert180 Bet   £2.50 £6.70 £20.03
shouting Call   £2.50 £9.20 £10.62
Lambert180 Show

shouting Muck

Lambert180 Win Flush to the 10 £8.74   £28.77

Comments

• edited February 2013
    bet more on all 3 streets
  • edited February 2013
    Generally like the play.

Minor point, id bet a bit more. 3/4 Pot on flop, Pot on turn, Shove him all in on river.

Ultimately though its just a cooler turn card.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Free Flop from BB:
    Generally like the play. Minor point, id bet a bit more. 3/4 Pot on flop, Pot on turn, Shove him all in on river. Ultimately though its just a cooler turn card.
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    No offence but I think this is a bit results orientated. It's easy to say full pot turn and shove river when we know he has a set, but what happens when he has 88, 99 or loads of other hands? he just snap folds the river if not the turn.

Generally I never full pot apart from very rare circumstances, I'd never be full potting as a bluff either although granted balancing here probably isn't required.

It is a bit of a cooler but tbf, I'm never gonna let him get to showdown and win if he doesn't hit his 3 anyway
  • edited February 2013
    the hand is played fine maybe bet little more turn and river but other than that spot on.
  • edited February 2013
    when he calls the turn with 4 to a straight on board and flush possibilities imo i would prob bet more on river 
  • edited February 2013
    Yep bet bigger all 3 streets for value.
  • edited February 2013
    Definitely not a cooler. The other guy could have either raised pre-flop or folded the flop to avoid losing this much. It's only a cooler if neither player could avoid it. The opponent here only lost this hand because he played poorly.

Anyway, I would not lead out for half-pot into a limped pot. Generally it's tough to see how we're ever going to be bluffing air in this spot anyway so just bet bigger for value with your with your big hands and bet bigger with your semi-bluffs too. Balance your range between sets, two-pairs and draws.

Multi-way, you want to thin the field a bit anyway so make it 2/3 to 3/4 pot. I agree with not going full pot, though I always like ascending bet sizes through the streets. So after betting half-pot and being called on the flop, bet bigger on the turn for value when you hit and for added menace with your bluffs.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Free Flop from BB : No offence but I think this is a bit results orientated. It's easy to say full pot turn and shove river when we know he has a set, but what happens when he has 88, 99 or loads of other hands? he just snap folds the river if not the turn. Generally I never full pot apart from very rare circumstances, I'd never be full potting as a bluff either although granted balancing here probably isn't required. It is a bit of a cooler but tbf, I'm never gonna let him get to showdown and win if he doesn't hit his 3 anyway
    Posted by Lambert180
    What happens when he has other hands? You tell me.....?

Why never full pot? You're leaving loads of money on the table when you get big hands like flushes that way.
  • edited February 2013
    yah bigger all streets
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL - Free Flop from BB : What happens when he has other hands? You tell me.....? Why never full pot? You're leaving loads of money on the table when you get big hands like flushes that way.
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    Well on the flop he probably calls with most pairs (PPs and pairs with the board) if I got 3/4 pot so that's fair enough, although I did want to try to keep the pot multi-way tbh.

Others have said we want to thin the field... is it bad that I don't want to thin the field? It's unlikely we're up against a lot of danger hands for when I get there like 2prs + sets that can house up or better FD. Isn't it better to get 3-4 calls x 40p here than 1 x 60p?

The turn though, it's easy to say full pot when you see he has a set, but if I full pot I'll probably only get called by sets, some 2prs and 6x, but get folds from all random 1 heart hands, all 1 pair hands and probably some low OPs like 8s all of which I want a call from. Also betting small allows people to make a mistake by raising, but very few will raise a full pot bet here with hand I beat.

Again shoving the river when he's got £13 behind and the pot is £4, unlikely to get called by nearly all hands, might not even get a call from bottom set (although that's unlikely from most 20NL players) but I don't know he has a set remember.
  • edited February 2013
    pot pot pot

+ ya only feel bad because he turned a set.

• edited February 2013
    bet more all streets