You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll Builders!!

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Point of the post is im looking at the best way to effectivley build a roll to a certain level to which I can start making roughly £300-400 per month from pokers including rakeback/C4P etc.
Bit of background info been playing poker for couple of years nothing serious just splashing around different sites/formats/levels etc, never moving above micro stakes, I am looking to dedicate my time and effort into developing my game in one particular format weather that be cash,husng's, MTT's, I work full time so have about 10-15 hours a week in which i can dedicate to my poker including study.
My starting roll would be around the £100 mark.
So my questions are:

In peoples opinions what is the best format for me to concentrate on to build my roll

What sort of levels should I be starting at given my BR/experience

Do we think making £300-400 per month is realistic for someone who has never really played above Micro's but is committed to learning and developing as a player.

What sort of level do we need to get to to be achieving this Monthly return £10nl? 20nl?

Cheers in advance

Moon

Comments

• edited February 2013
    wee; its all about 90 skill 10% luck, never bet above your weight always play tight,
    the main thing is know your percentages and generally you will do fine until the final 20 of a main tournament

maybe look at getting into a mini and buiding your roll from there, if you get in the main its a bonus but you will be playing a lot of pros and take the loses as a learning experaince.

In Response to Bankroll Builders!!:
    Hi all, Point of the post is im looking at the best way to effectivley build a roll to a certain level to which I can start making roughly £300-400 per month from pokers including rakeback/C4P etc. Bit of background info been playing poker for couple of years nothing serious just splashing around different sites/formats/levels etc, never moving above micro stakes, I am looking to dedicate my time and effort into developing my game in one particular format weather that be cash,husng's, MTT's, I work full time so have about 10-15 hours a week in which i can dedicate to my poker including study. My starting roll would be around the £100 mark. So my questions are: In peoples opinions what is the best format for me to concentrate on to build my roll What sort of levels should I be starting at given my BR/experience Do we think making £300-400 per month is realistic for someone who has never really played above Micro's but is committed to learning and developing as a player. What sort of level do we need to get to to be achieving this Monthly return £10nl? 20nl? Cheers in advance Moon
    Posted by Moonlit81
  • edited February 2013
    1st off I'd say you need to decide what you're actually trying to achieve here. You start off saying you want to build a roll, but then you say you want to make £300 - £400 a month. Do you mean you will keep that profit in your account or cash it out? I can't see you making that sort of money to cash out each month with a £100 roll, the levels you would have to play would be too risky. £100 a month to start off would be a good realistic target, or just try to increase your bankroll and play higher levels meaning you have a better chance of making the £400 a month if you can beat that level.

CASH: If you want to play cash I would suggest starting at the bottom with a £100 roll. It seems quite tight, but otherwise if you are playing 8nl you only have 12.5 buy ins and that isn't really enough if you are going to be multi tabling.

MTT: I'd suggest the £2.20 or £3.30 games although you could get away with some £5 games thrown in as a lot of them are bounty hunters so you have more chance of getting some of your buy in back if you don't cash.

STT: £3 - £5 DYMs would be your best bet, if you have a good style and way of playing these it's harder to go on a long down swing than an MTT as you are only beating half the field each game.

Hope that helps a bit...
  • edited February 2013
    DYMs - good ROI = like 5% so @ £5.50s which you aint rolled for yet but not too far away you're making 27.5p per game so about 1500 games per month. You'd also get 7500 points for this which is about £180 I think. Not easy to sustain that ROI or get the volume in though.

Cash - good win rate = 6BB/100, so roughly 5BB/hour so @ 10NL you're making 50p per hour per table. So if you can 6table (£3 per hour) you need to put like 130 hours in per month, again not easy and to 6table 10NL and be withdrawing regular I'd say you want £500+

Hu SnGs are a very good way of building a roll imo and also quite easy to develop a winning style that will beat most fishy players on Sky.

Basically, to be making £300 - £400 per month, you're gonna need a roll much bigger than £300 - £400. I'd make your initial goal building a roll up to say £1000, see what you beat to get there and assess how much time you'd need to put in to make the money you are aiming at.

One thing to remember is, you can be the best player in the world and you will still have months were you lose or barely break even.
  • edited February 2013
    At this early stage in your poker dont focus on i plan to make £400 a month thats not how poker works noone can plan what there going to win or lose in a month.  The best players in the game have losing months.  Focus on enjoying the game and keep reviewing your hands and asking others for advise on how we can improve.  Poker just doesnt work like this.
  • edited February 2013
    Play for fun much easier. 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Builders!!:
    Play for fun much easier. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Pot kettle and black spring to mind sir!!
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Builders!!:
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Builders!! : Pot kettle and black spring to mind sir!!
    Posted by Moonlit81
    Exactly! Been there done that wore the t-shirt made the same mistakes. 
  • edited February 2013
    Very few people are skilled enough to make an average of £10 per hour playing poker, I'd estimate far fewer than 1% of the player pool. Before you can even think of taking off profits you'll need to build a substantially bigger bankroll. None of us can tell you which format will be most profitable for you, it varies from person to person, it's something you'll need to work out yourself. Good luck to you, but if there was an easy answer we'd all be doing it.
  • edited February 2013
    Concentrate on atually beating a game/level before you can even work our how much you can win

Once you work out per number of games or bb/hour then you increase volume to increase total monies

Your not even winning yet over a decent sample size

Meaning just because you have a good month doesn't mean it's sustainable

chill, win first think about total monies after - otherwise you may have to ask yoruself how much your losing per month

- if your playing micros you'll be lucky to win £200 a month
  • edited February 2013
    Hey moon,my advice would be take the game you most enjoy be it dyms cash or hu then dedicate your time to whatever you want to become good enough to make decent profit in, dont give yourself big goals straight away or grind away at a game just for the sake of it being a tiny bit more profitable. This time last year i decided i liked HU because it meant constant action and being able to get inside one opponents head etc, played a load of 2,10 turbos without much of a return, but learnt an awful lot and never had any real goals just to improve and get the the point where i was making right decisions more often than wrong decisions which will inevitably lead to profit. Good luck with whatever you decide.