You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Sunday Night Live show thread- with Rich and Reds. (+ MTT seats to be won)

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Afternoon my fellow pokerers,

We have a live show for tonight starting at 7 on Channel 861 and streamed from this site- and taking you through it will be myself, Richard Orford... 

And uber-pro Redmond Lee...

And here's your show:

7pm-MasterCash coverage
8pm-Analyse My Play – live coverage from the early stages of the Primo. We'll mask the hands in this hour. So please fire in as many hand requests from the main event as you can.
9pm-Live coverage of the £30K Super Roller Semi satellite, which starts @ 8:30pm
10pm-More satellite coverage- this time from the SPT London Semi, which starts @ 9:30pm
11pm- Late-stage live coverage of the £10K Primo main event

Now, last night I enjoyed a free meal for two at my local posh gastropub which I won for my team coming first in the school annual quiz night. Oh yes, bring it! Which leads me on nicely to tonight's talking point, aside from all the poker...

What's the most notable thing you've ever won in a competition?

A fabulous gameshow style world-cruise? Or something really tatty and pointlless in the local jumble sale tombola? Were you crowned Scunthorpe Crossword Champion 1997 and won a book token? Or were you the only person who bothered to enter an obsure competiton and therefore took the first prize by default? etc etc etc.

Get your competition anecdotes in to us and the best 4 will, fittingly, win the competition and get freerolled into Tuesday night's mini Bounty Hunter. Let's face it, depending on your answers, it might be the best prize you've ever won :-)

And of course, even if you don't win, I'll still read out your name and story to everyone else watching at home, so please do take part and share in the show.

Get in touch by using this thread, emailing skyopen@bskyb.com, or tweeting #skypokertv

Lookig forward as ever to hearing from you all tonight and I'll see you later at 7pm sharp.

Did I mention I won the school quiz, btw..?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Best gameshow prize i've ever won. 

Since i dont have a best because their all pants (i think the best was a Robbie Savage football blunders DVD) I would like to share my worst. 

It was my last year of high school so 2006, i phoned up my local radio station. They done a daily geography (quess the city) quiz with no prize, which i always entered because it was fun. However on this night they ran a second quiz which was just to request a song. If your song was played you won. Basically you had to guess the DJs favourite song. Given that my local radio station always plays very poor quality music, i named a random britney spears song. I won, the prize a cd. Amount of songs i liked on the CD - None. Sadly i still have it gathering dust in a cuboard. It was that bad i can't even give it away. 
  • edited February 2013
     i once went to the church bingo with my mother,and bought a raffle ticket mine came out and i had a choice of tin of biscuit or a small paper bin so i chose the biscuits as i awas starving notany raflle after that so dont bother now
  • edited February 2013
    Hi both. The only thing I've ever won was a dundee cake In a school raffle (many moons ago) Sooo....... If I win something on tonight's show that will undoubtedly be the most notable competition win for me! (Go on Rich - give It to me - you know you want to :)  ) Have a good show
  • edited February 2013
    Liking the replies so far.

More please!

2 hours to the show...
  • edited February 2013
    I won a BETAMax video recorder once !!
    #useful
  • edited February 2013
    I never win anything.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: The Sunday Night Live show thread- with Rich and Reds. (+ MTT seats to be won):
    I never win anything.
    Posted by Machka

In the same boat mate. The only thing I have won is 56p in a snowball bounty hunter on Sky. It never got credited to my account though....it is an absolute fiasco that you and me never win on here Aaron.

#sortitoutorford
  • edited February 2013

Hi Rich n Reds,

As an utter pessamist i dont enter any competitions so you cant win much that way (although im a dab hand at the nigerian lottery which i never enter ....... i think the prince is entering me in it with the money ive lent him?!?) so the 2 mini entries ive won top the list (thanks orf).

Just wanted to hear Reds thoughts on the sky poker cash games first 2 episodes, does he wish he was sat at that table with Yong/Rastafish etc. Also whilst I have no problem at all with the style SKY are going for attempting to bring new ppl into the game, im not entirely sure the commentary is conducive to this, (we all know how smug James can be;) but they seem to be using alot of complicated poker terms and generally not explaining the action enough that i feel may be putting newbies off, thoughts?

• edited February 2013
    Some years ago (pre kids), me & my wife used to lie in bed on a Sunday morning and listen to our local radio station - Viking Radio. They used to have a quiz with six questions. The first person to phone in with all six correct answers won the prize. If no-one got six then the first to get five won......etc.

Generally four was enough to win it so we only chose to phone in if we got four or better.

One day, we both knew the first answer because we had read it in a quiz book the week before. Imagine our surprise when the same applied to question two..... & three......& four ................& five........& six. I made a quick grab for the "Marks & Spencer's" Quiz Book. Lo & Behold on page one the first six questions were the ones read out. Just a minute to look up the answers at the back and we won the prize within two minutes, a record.

The following week, we were ready. We had the quiz book at our side. In fact, we had all the phone number digits rung except the last one so we could get straight through. This time we won within 30 seconds courtesy of the answers to the first six questions on page two.

This continued for about six weeks but they didn't click on. Each week they moved on to the next page of the book & asked the first six questions.

Getting the prize involved visiting Viking's studio in Hull and collecting a bag of about a dozen records and freebies. The prizes were hardly worth winning but we just loved the fact that they didn't click on how we got the answers so quickly (they were tough questions).

Imagine our surprise on about the seventh week when we were all primed with page seven open but the questions they asked didn't match the questions on page seven. We had been rumbled. For some reason, I turned over the page & there was one of the questions on page eight but only one. As I looked across the page, I saw another one on page nine...then another on page ten etc.

Someone clearly thought that this would be enough to beat us. Ok, it slowed us down a bit but moving along one page to the next was hardly a major challenge.

After that they changed the pattern each week (there were several hundred pages in this book). One week they did multiples of five, another week square numbers (4-9-16-25-36-49) and even the Fibonacci sequence (look it up if you don't know what this is). It was no longer a quiz but a game to spot the pattern. It was like some sort of phony war. They knew we had the quizbook but rather than source questions from somewhere else they tried to see if we could crack their increasingly complex patterns.

In the end they broke us. We gave up. We lost interest and stopped ringing in. In fact, the first week we didn't ring in, someone won it with two correct answers (maybe most people had given up phoning) and the station got messages asking where we were. With ten minutes to go (it was a three hour show) I felt tempted to ring but resisted. It was time to creep back into the shadows.

It still makes me smile, which is all I have to show for it. That and a pile of vinyl by a load of no hit wonders.
  • edited February 2013
    Won a school haloween contest when i was 8, and the best place from the local schools got to go to go to the local council chambers to get some prizes (easter eggs) from the council leader.

There was me getting on the bus dressed as a blue rabbit with my Mum! I wasnt allowed to get ready in there. Worse still they insisted on taking pics of all winners with the provost.

Which ended up in the local newspaper, so every1 got 2 see it:(

On the bright side, got some free choclate:D
  • edited February 2013
    Once upon a time I won free entry to sunday night's mini primo..

This was a great prize, how long it lasts is still to be determined. (By the time u read this chances are it will have ceased to be, be a dead prize)

• edited February 2013
    The most notable thing I ever won in a competition, was a make over on the BBC fashion show Style Challenge.

A researcher invited my cricket team to an audition in London.
    The night before, the whole team indulged a little too much at a fancy dress party and only two of us woke up in time to catch the train to London.
    With myself dressed up in the loudest Hawaiian Shirt and my friend wearing dungarees that wouldn't have been out of place on the Beverly Hill Billies the train ride was an experience!
    When we eventually arrived at Shepherds Bush we walked into a room, full of hopeful contenders (freaks might have been a better description).
    Spoilt kids with their mothers, grown men tap dancing, one chap dressed as a clown and several probably just escaped from the local lunatic asylum.
    we didn't know whether to laugh, cry or pinch ourselves to wake up from this potential nightmare!
    To cut a long story short, we won a place on the first timed show, met John Leslie (Who was a very decent bloke!) had our hair cut by Trevoe Sorbie, our make up done by a professional (Teresa Farminer) who worrked with Madonna and our clothes selected by the fashion correspondent from the Daily Mirror Ollie Picton Jones).
    We still dont know whether we were selected because we were the most normal, or the biggest freaks!
    The day of the show went too quickly! The crew, researchers and presenters were a delight!
    The embarrassment however still lingers some 15 years later!

Have a great show guys!
  • edited February 2013
    Best thing I've ever won?  It's a toss up between Mondays nights main event from a free entry after coming third in the side event at the spt grand final side event and a life size Trish Stratus standee (check her out on google if you want to see how hot she is). I also won a Marti Pellow cd in a radio quiz once although I have tried to forget that one!  I also won free entry into the primo once for winning the best quiz ever done. Richard Orford's Disastermind. The hardest quiz every invented!  

Have a great show and to everyone else. Run well and remember that poker is fun and above all, please enjoy yourselves 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: The Sunday Night Live show thread- with Rich and Reds. (+ MTT seats to be won):
    Best thing I've ever won?  It's a toss up between Mondays nights main event from a free entry after coming third in the side event at the spt grand final side event and a life size Trish Stratus standee (check her out on google if you want to see how hot she is). I also won a Marti Pellow cd in a radio quiz once although I have tried to forget that one!  I also won free entry into the primo once for winning the best quiz ever done. Richard Orford's Disastermind. The hardest quiz every invented!   Have a great show and to everyone else. Run well and remember that poker is fun and above all, please enjoy yourselves 
    Posted by cenachav
    Can i borrow this for a weekend? 
  • edited February 2013
    Readers Digest informed me of a big win once!
  • edited February 2013

i entered a beauty competiton,first prize was a full makeover-hair,sauna etc.etc.. looked nice,and so when i won 4th prize i was happy , i turned up at the salon on to find my prize was a free coffee enema,being stupid i didnt understand but i thought it was some sort of relaxing pampering..... was none to happy when i was shown into the treatment room....to see a lady with a big tube and a pair of rubber gloves........
  • edited February 2013
    why is the 15k final table not been shown from thursday we got to final 4  before time was up on show would have like to see myself win it as it was my second main event win in a week friday and thurs oh well have to win the primo tonight ... lol ... av a great night all ...
  • edited February 2013
    I think the first time I ever won a competition on Sky, was an entry to the main event (way outside my normal bankroll).
    7:30pm - turn laptop on, open Sky, make sure everything was ready, no distractions, buzzing for the tournament.
    7:57pm - watch the 3 minute countdown in the lobby, then mash the "launch tournament" button so I didn't miss anything
    8.00pm - Shuffle up and deal - Lets do this!
    8.02pm - Kings into Aces. Competition prize lasted a whole 2minutes!

• edited February 2013
    hi guys hope you have a good show tonight I`ve luckboxed my way into the primo tonight no played this mtt in a while so some run good would be nice please lol.

also cenachav +1 for trish stratus in my eyes she`s that one that got away ha ha.
  • edited February 2013
    What's the most notable thing you've ever won in a competition?

I won a cinema ticket after sending in an STI sample for testing!
    I never used the ticket, because it felt a little bit dirty.

Luckily I came back clean - hurrah! :)
  • edited February 2013
    I've won £10 for "Second Prize In A Beauty Contest" a few times...
  • edited February 2013
    Hand ID #0623509102

Even though I won this hand, still not sure if I played it right. What is the best course to take facing the raise on the flop - was thinking about laying it down as this could be a set, but could be a raise with AK etc on a board that is unlikely to hit me. In the end went with the re-raise (essentially putting him all in), and was surprised to see the A4 turned over...
  • edited February 2013
    my best prize was winning free entry into a main event through your tv comps twice in a week. and winning a good prize in the tourney itself
  • edited February 2013
    Hand ID #0623509102 Even though I won this hand, still not sure if I played it right. What is the best course to take facing the raise on the flop - was thinking about laying it down as this could be a set, but could be a raise with AK etc on a board that is unlikely to hit me. In the end went with the re-raise (essentially putting him all in), and was surprised to see the A4 turned over...
    Posted by WWFCBlue
    Thanks for the request, where is this hand from?
  • edited February 2013
    Back in 1996 at Primary school (I can remember it being 1996 as this competition took place at the same time as Euro 96!) I came 2nd in the schools handwriting competition. A page of A4 writing was put up of each student at the village fete and people at the fate had to vote.If you looked at my handwriting now you would wonder how that was ever possible but it did happen! I cant remember what the prize was but it must have been something school related.
  • edited February 2013
    wanna show this cooler from primo

Hand History #623524674 (20:47 17/02/2013)
  • edited February 2013
    WON Main event in Las Vagas, 2 Million on lottery, a World cruise.
    And the part of Billy Liar in the school play.

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: The Sunday Night Live show thread- with Rich and Reds. (+ MTT seats to be won) : Thanks for the request, where is this hand from?
    Posted by Sky_Louis
    Sorry was from todays primo
  • edited February 2013

Further to the SPCG commentary discussion i take your points and dont think it should be dumbed down to the lowest level of explaining everything i just felt at times they were saying stuff in the same way as an ept show such as "ryan is open ended" etc, im just worried that the number 1 reason ppl dont take to poker is that they find it confusing and its about striking that balance, i agree its very tough to find the happy medium.

But really it all boils down to Hartigans voice .... it suggests how proposterous it would be that anyone should not know what he means / agree with him ;) love james really

• edited February 2013
    Hi Guys,

Enjoying the show.  I've finally got around to watching the first live cash game this morning and really enjoyed it.  I have a question for Reds tho.  in live play do you not have to show a losing hand?  I (think) I noticed a hand where Rob Yong was bluffing and Neil Channing at showdown showed his winning hand and Rob seemed to just mucked his. Is this normal?  Also, could Neil have insisted on seeing Rob's hand?  Just curious as I don't play live.

p.s. I won £50 worth of Jessops gift vouchers for a picture i entered in a competition at Xmas. Jessops went bust the day before I could spend the vouchers! :-(