You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Possible Return to sky poker

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
Ok so first of all :) hello again people

Why i have returned.......

Well i have now been playing poker for just over 2 years, and i am finally a winning MTT player, atm im specialized in low stakes, small MTTs with 60-100 people in it, and i remembered sky poker was my cryptonite, every descent hand i had i would get it all in and they would catch there draw, so, with my new knowledge on how to play against these people, i would like to see if i can do well in some of the smaller Sky Poker tournaments :) 
I have ballances on 3 different sites, and even though i wont bring it across, i will however deposit a small ammount and use a combined BR to decide on my BRM, which over the past 2 months, i have been following GaryQQQs BRM rules, and with great succession

so even though i have only deposited £20, my actual ballance is £163
therefor im starting with £2 - £3 MTTs

A few leeks that i have repaired since the last time i was on SKY
1..... play much less hands
2..... Less bluffing just cus i know they dont have a big hand (They cant let it go)
3..... MTT selection (not just following a BRM, but also making sure they are slower paced allowing for less races for my stack on mediocre hands)

Comments

• edited February 2013
    every1 comes back!!!!
    i left 4 diff reasons but every1 comes back1 

• edited February 2013

Good luck sir!
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Sillymunch

First of all - Welcome Back

Its always nice to see a player return to the site with the confidence that they have improved their game and with the acknoweledment that they have repared a few leaks.

Keep us up to date on your progress. Can't go too far wrong listening to GaryQQQ's advice on BRM, especially in small stakes MTTs so just keep that in mind when if you suffer a little variance and all should be well.

Best of Luck m8
  • edited February 2013
    Ok so heres my update :)
    SKY POKER has the worst poker players i have ever seen in here

im £10 down already and lets see why :)

Hand 1 : This one i could of avoided pre, but 1 player re raised me twice in a row and then shoved any flop
    i get they are trying to make a move, but i could see what she was doing, so when i saw the flop and i was way ahead i knew i had to call, she ended up doing it King high with 3 kicker, and only the king could save her, and she rivered it. (12% chance when money went in)

Hand 2 : This one was unavoidable, i hit a 2 pair on the flop, i raise it up and get a caller, raise the turn and get it all in, and he calls, only 8 outs for the flush draw and he hits it (16% chance of winning it when all money went in)

Hand 3 : This one again unavoidable, i hit 2 pair again on the flop, i raise it on the flop, raise it up getting it all in on the turn and again he calls, this guy got runner runner flush (on the flop he had 8% chance of winning, on the turn when all the money went in 20% by the turn)

Hand 4 : Definately unavoidable. i see a cheap flop with a pair of 3s, i hit my set, guy raises it so huge i know its going all in, there is a king and a 6 on the board, and BOOM he calls my all in with a pair of 5s, and yes again he hits his set on the river (8% chance he would hit it by the river when the money went in)

all 4 times i was way ahead when the money went in, and im not gonna blame sky poker, but the standard is really really bad, and if i do stay i have no doubt ill be able to win a fair bit, but wow the people that play here are soooo awful lol RANT over
  • edited February 2013

Hi Sillymunch, a good idea might be to post some of your hands in the Poker Clinic to get other people's opinions. Especially as the people that frequent there (and are more than happy to share their advice and opinions) know Sky Poker well.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited February 2013
    I would love to post my hands however the 4 aformentioned hands would be pointless to post 

the response i would get is 

Hand 1 : fold pre... fold pre.... and fold pre lol

Hand 2 : they may say "raise more once you hit, but all the money went in before he had hit, so thats a mute point

Hand 3 : again they might say "raise more on the flop" but again money went in when i was way ahead

and finaly Hand 4 : they would say "its a cooler xD

ive used the poker clinic in the past and i totally agree, the guys know what they are doing to get maximum value from there hands and the advice they used to give me was what helped my game become what it is today, and if anybody ever asked me i would tell them to use the poker clinic because its the best place for advice, today is just down to varience, and thats bad being my first day, but like i said i dont blame sky poker, the more bad players you have on a site the more varience will affect us, and we need these people to play like this so we can run deep in the MTTs

In the 2 MTTs where i was over 90% favourate to win the hand if i had won the hands i would of had 13k chips, and sailed to the final table as long as i dont play stupidly and overplay my hands and once your on the final table thats where you can play some real poker :)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Possible Return to sky poker:
    I would love to post my hands however the 4 aformentioned hands would be pointless to post  the response i would get is  Hand 1 : fold pre... fold pre.... and fold pre lol
    So then in actual fact the losses WERE avoidable.

Wild stab in the dark says you limped in with 2 random cards because it was cheap.

Am I close?
  • edited February 2013
    nope, i was BB and they limped in, im not gonna try fancy stuff against these guys, so i just check, i hit two pair on the flop, i raise it up, and get a flat call, no donk bet as there was no preflop agressor, i have to believe my hand is in front, so i continue the agression, nothing at all ever told me i was behind, and at no point was i behind when i put money into the pot myself
  • edited February 2013
    and again LMAO, another MTT, early on in the tourney, i have suited connectors in position, i see a cheap flop cus im in position, and get an open ender, obv im going to raise in this spot and somebody else shows some agression, i see one more card and hit my straight, happy days, the board has now flushed but cus of the agression post flop i have to believe that she wasnt trying to buy the pot with a flush draw, if she was she would of shoved, so all the chips are in and she shows me a set 2 2 2 happy days, all i have to worry about is the board possibly pairing, or so i thought xP she rivered the 2 lol there was a 2% chance that was going to happen, only other way she was winning was a full house 18% chance of her hitting the full house as we are on the turn im a huge overdog, but luck didnt go my way xD
  • edited February 2013
    Sounds as if you are playing fine, keep with it.
  • edited February 2013
    And what about all the times the variance goes your way? This sounds very much like selective hand choosing to me.

Anyway, for the above hands, surely you want these calls when you are say 75-85% favourite?
  • edited February 2013
    the varience hasnt gone my way yet, i only returned today, played 4 tournaments, im not nitpicking, i chose the key moments, i got 1 Bounty when i had A A, and doubled up, i then sat calmly for a while, thats when the varience went downhill :) its a extremety of a bad first day, and had a nice chat with the rest of the table after the unfortune events.. what i have posted on here is just my first day and nothing more.
  • edited February 2013
    Welcome back to the site. One thing iv head many times is... "Dont go broke in an unraised pot"
  • edited February 2013
    this thread could be epic
  • edited February 2013
    Welcome back to the site. One thing iv head many times is... "Dont go broke in an unraised pot"
    Posted by shaun09
    ^^^this^^^^
    please read the poker bible!
  • edited February 2013
    Posted by Jac35
    I agree, this thread has potential

GL at the tables sillymunch
  • edited February 2013

Only in poker would players complain about supposedly BAD opponents!

• edited February 2013
    Only in poker would players complain about supposedly BAD opponents!  
    Posted by Tikay10
    ^^^^^this
  • edited February 2013
    nope, i was BB and they limped in, im not gonna try fancy stuff against these guys, so i just check, i hit two pair on the flop, i raise it up, and get a flat call, no donk bet as there was no preflop agressor, i have to believe my hand is in front, so i continue the agression, nothing at all ever told me i was behind, and at no point was i behind when i put money into the pot myself
    Posted by sillymunch
    How on earth would the poker advice be to fold pre if your in the Bb?
  • edited February 2013
    Btw like your diary thing and your honesty but in all seriousness nothing in the world is more annoying / boring than somone complain about how the constantly run bad 
  • edited February 2013
    Best of luck to you. Ouch @ yesterdays results.

Thanks for the mention. My BRM rules won't help anybody win, their main purpose is to make it very difficult to go bust.
  • edited February 2013
    @Tikay :) thanks for the input lol, no in all honesty im not complaining about the hands xP i added the odds and everything to show how bad there plays were xP i started this as a genuine try at the tables and i just didnt get the cards today lmao, if im not racing a few times im never going to win an MTT, one of the tricks that i have learned about MTTs is only race when your about 80% favourate, so i will very rarely get it all in on the flop unless i have a top 10% hand unless of course they are giving me the correct odds to make the call, then i have to.....
    i also dont get my chips in if i just dont know where i am in the hand.
    90% of the time if im calling an all in, its cus i know or hugely have a feeling that im ahead

@Bolly. Dont worry the diary wont be a bad beats diary xP its just the way it worked on day 1, i had more bad beats then i did positive points, in fact the only positive hand was the one i have already mentioned :)

@GaryQQQ...... my stats on sharkscope will show you the difference your 40BI rule has made in my game, i give you and anybody else permission to check out my rescent results

I wont mention the names of the sites, but the usernames are sillymunchie, and Kingmuncher, my ROI was always 100-200% even when i was in minus' profit, but it was the BRM that cost me, when i won big i joined a bigger buy in, and eventually lost everything i won within a week :) nowadays its a nice steady fall with nice payouts when i do get to the final table
  • edited February 2013
    [QUOTE]@Tikay :) thanks for the input lol, no in all honesty im not complaining about the hands xP i added the odds and everything to show how bad there plays were xP i started this as a genuine try at the tables and i just didnt get the cards today lmao, if im not racing a few times im never going to win an MTT, one of the tricks that i have learned about MTTs is only race when your about 80% favourate, so i will very rarely get it all in on the flop unless i have a top 10% hand unless of course they are giving me the correct odds to make the call, then i have to..... i also dont get my chips in if i just dont know where i am in the hand. 90% of the time if im calling an all in, its cus i know or hugely have a feeling that im ahead @Bolly. Dont worry the diary wont be a bad beats diary xP its just the way it worked on day 1, i had more bad beats then i did positive points, in fact the only positive hand was the one i have already mentioned :)@GaryQQQ...... my stats on sharkscope will show you the difference your 40BI rule has made in my game, i give you and anybody else permission to check out my rescent results I wont mention the names of the sites, but the usernames are sillymunchie, and Kingmuncher, my ROI was always 100-200% even when i was in minus' profit, but it was the BRM that cost me, when i won big i joined a bigger buy in, and eventually lost everything i won within a week :) nowadays its a nice steady fall with nice payouts when i do get to the final table
    Posted by sillymunch

Hi Munchy.

Glad you took it as intended.

It was really addressed to poker people as a whole, & I'm a poker player. I've been playing poker a very long time, & I frequent 3 or 4 different Poker Forums, & have done for 10 or 12 years, so it is not a Sky Poker thing specifically, but.....

Even now, I struggle to understand why one of THE things I see & hear most frequently is poker players complaining about bad play by others. It just makes no sense to me. They should be bemoaning the fact that people make good plays. Note, incidentally, that we ONLY complain about "bad plays" or "bad players" when.....they beat us. 'Tis true!

When we beat players, we call them "lolbad", or "fish", when they beat us, they are bad players. Truly a go figure thing in my tiny mind. 

I buy a lot of staking action in players, too. Their Staking Proposals invariably say "it will be a soft field, full of Frenchies & Satellite qualifiers". Fine, an opinion they are entitled to. Then one of these terribad Frenchies makes a bad play & beats us & so we have a mini-chunter about how bad they were. It is all way above my intelligence, or lack of. ;)

You may have seen Ratsafish on the Sky Poker Cash Game. He gets roundly mocked by the purists for the way he plays, but he has cashed for around £250,000 in Tourneys in the last 18 months. Take away his losses, I bet he is still £150,000 to the good. How many of his critics can say that? Variance? Maybe. I'll take money in the bank over variance & purists all day long.

Andrew1947 was mocked by someone on here yesterday, rather rudely I thought. And yet he wins consistently, certainly more than those who deride him. Respect seems to be a forgotten value in poker. 

PS - "only race when 80% favourite" - that is not a race. A race is the generic poker term for a flip, or coin-toss, A-K v Jacks or whatever.  80% fave is, say, Kings v Threes. Pleased to hear you only get it in good though, you sound like me - a proper nit. And nits, another much derided group, rarely go busto.

Hope you run good, & get the lot Munchy. Easier against bad players though. ;)      
  • edited February 2013
    @Tikay thanks again :)
    I am not a full NIT, but i do believe in not overplaying my hands, especially in the low stakes, im quite happy to call raises in position with a nice speculative hand, but if im going to do that i have to have a reason or a read, its about getting small value out of small hands, and max value out of made hands, a good player will not allow for this, therefore if i sense somebody is making too many plays i aim to trap with speculative hands as long as i have the right stack for it, this is why when i have a great hand im looking to get paid off early on, and then keep a steady stack, sadly on this occasion it worked as i wanted it to, but my hands couldnt hold even though i had played them as agressive as i could, i would not change the way i have played, and in the last 2 months, i have made almost $400 profit purely on MTTs alone starting with $30, i have withdrew some of that, and thats why my ballance is now only $350, converting it into pounds my BR is now £200 approx, that is plenty, and i may have lost a lot of big hands that day but as stated, 80% of the time i have doubled up and in my comfort zone.

KNOWING how bad the players can be on sky, i should be able to do well in most tourneys, and for this very reason i want to stick around, especially with the low fields making varience less of a factor i can see myself doing well, so I look forward to my next MTT at sky :)

• edited February 2013
    Arent bad players where you make your money?
  • edited February 2013
    indeed they are bongo, isnt that the point i was making lol
  • edited February 2013
    on a further note to you tikay, i have learnt why its a frequent problem "you cant beat the low stakes because of the bad calls etc etc" 

Most of the time the reason people feel this way is because, they get AK and raise and somebody will call with something stupid and miss, then they get nothing from them, then you get the other times, when they hit and you overplay your AK

also there are two types of fish LAG fishes, and TAG fishes
    Somebody just rescently learning poker usually you will find is a lag, they play too many hands, cant let go of anything and are the most likely to bust you 1 in 10 times when you overplay your top pairs
    in cash obv you want them to keep making these calls because you will lose some, but you will win so much more

in Tournaments however if your too much of a TAG, then your chips dwindle and your forced to overplay your hand to double up, keep doing this your racing far too often, and you end up getting bad beat, now which do you remember the most, the ones that kept you in it, or the ones that knocked you out of it.

In a big MTT, you will never win if your racing too often with weak holdings, same goes for the ammount of times people call before the flop, if your calling too often, then your going to get outdrawn more often, and dont we always remember these times.

So what is the moral that we can take away from this......
    if your going to see flops with cheap holdings then dont overplay them after the flop, if you bet too agressively then your only getting called by someone who is beating you, or has a chance of outdrawing you, so control the pot better, and if at any point in time you dont know where you stand within the hand, just throw it away
    Its the only advice i could give people who complain about "how often a fish will knock them out"
  • edited February 2013
    Posted by Jac35
    IS EPIC!!!
  • edited June 2013
    BTW just so you guys are aware i hadnt given up on this return my bank wouldnt allow me to deposit anymore for some reason, but now its all good and i started this morning with £20
    After a few MTTs today i have managed to make £5.45 profit so now my Bankroll if you can call it that is sitting at £25.45.....

The first MTT was a very emotional roller coaster, i got to see a flop with a pair of 7s and hit my full house on the flop, somebody overplayed a pair of Jacks but the 9 hit the turn giving him 9s over jacks, very unlucky here as he only had 4 outs
    i was still in it and i had built my stack back up only to be let down yet again getting it all in with A Q v A 4 on the ace high flop, this time he had 3 outs and i was left dwindling, again i was still in it, i managed to make it to the final table but only the top 3 got paid, i found my chance to double up when i was dealt Q Q and got called by A 8 hitting his ace i was out right on the bubble

i didnt let this perfomance get me down, i played well but the decisions didnt go my way, so i loaded up another bounty hunter, this time the decisions went my way, there was a crazy person shoving all in on the bubble every hand, i called with a pair of 5s to find myself in a race against 6 10s showing me her range, and with 5 people to go i called her all in with A J only for her to this time have A A, i was again happy with my performance and decisions

my last MTT of the day was a deepstack. i was playing well, but then a chip leader bully was attacking me constantly i decided to fight back after hitting a open ended straight draw shoving it all in on the flop, i was also the pre flop agressor, he had called with K 8 and hit his 8 middle pair my hand didnt improve :(
  • edited June 2013