You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday's live show - with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***)

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat
Where? Channel 861. When? 7pm. What? This:

7pm - Live coverage of Thursday's £1k Freeroll (part of the Freeroll Festival)
8pm - The Poker Clinic (Hand IDs and questions, please)
9pm - Sixty minutes of Master Cash hands
10pm - Top of the Pots
11pm - Highlights from the £12k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter

Plus, I need your help writing...

Sky Poker: The Musical

Which songs should feature in this fictitious show? Perhaps we could butcher a classic from 'West Side Story'...

"Gee, officer tikay, we're down on our knees,
'Cause no-one likes a fella who limps with seven-three!"

Or maybe the old man himself could sing a ditty from 'The Sound of Music'...

"I am sixty, going on eighty-three."

Over to you! Please make 'em clever and make 'em funny (as you can see, I haven't set the bar high). Don't forget: we need songs to introduce ALL the main characters, including Orford, Anna, Sarah and Carlo.

I should point out that there are prizes to be won. The four best "composers" will receive free entry into Sunday's Mini Primo.

E-mail: skyopen@bskyb.com
Twitter: #SkyPokerTV

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Just realised...

Our musical also needs a plot! Does anyone have any ideas? We need an entertaining storyline, filled with opportunities for our characters to sing and dance :)

• edited February 2013
    You've just realised that musical's need plots? Aren't you some sort of film critic, or something??

Just joking. I'm working on some sort of variation on the song "Fame!", entitled "James!"... Struggling to stop it from becoming a tad homo-erotic, though. ;)

I'll see what I can come up with before the show.
  • edited February 2013
    hi james and jen, here are some tracks from the musical: All In the Poker Musical which was recently playing in VEGAS.

I'M GONNA BAD BEAT YOU BOY
    I'M NOT A GAMBLER, I'M A POKER PLAYER
    SHE'S LOOSE AND AGRESSIVE AND PLAYS TOP PAIR
    THERE'S A DONKEY AT MY TABLE

casting of said songs are up to you,
    hope you have great show.
  • edited February 2013
    anna could sing
                           from a jack to a king,
                           from loniness to a wedding ring,
                           i gave orford  the best beat last night,
                           now im the king of his game,

for just a little while,
                           i thought that i might loooooooose the game,
                           but just in time, i saw, the leak in his play ay ay ay,

now im the king of his game.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    hi james and jen, here are some tracks from the musical: All In the Poker Musical which was recently playing in VEGAS. I'M GONNA BAD BEAT YOU BOY I'M NOT A GAMBLER, I'M A POKER PLAYER SHE'S LOOSE AND AGRESSIVE AND PLAYS TOP PAIR THERE'S A DONKEY AT MY TABLE casting of said songs are up to you, hope you have great show.
    Posted by ms-tree
    I'M GONNA BAD BEAT YOU BOY, JAULLIAN THEW
    I'M NOT A GAMBLER,I'M A POKER PLAYER TIKAY
    SHE,S LOOSE AND AGRESSIVE,AND PLAYS TOP PAIR, ANNA FOWLER
    THERES A DONKEY AT MY TABLE, RICHARD ORFORD
  • edited February 2013
    Should definitely recreate showgirls woth Tikay playing the main charecter
  • edited February 2013
    A couple of verses from Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from Les Mis for Orford.

"There's a grief that can't be spoken.
    There's a pain goes on and on.
    Empty chairs at poker tables
    Now my friends i'm bust and gone.

Here at SPT they talked of revolution.
    Here it was they lit the flame.
    Here they sang about `tomorrow'
    And tomorrow for me , Day 2 , never came"
  • edited February 2013

Looking forward to the show later, hopefully I'll be able to run strong in the freeroll and feature on TV!

Anyway, here's my attempt at the Sky Poker musical...

Cast:

James - Jeremy Potts (pun definitely intended)

Jen - Jemima Potts

Orford - Caractacus Potts

Tikay - Grandpa Potts

Anna - Truly Scrumptious

Carlo - Child Catcher

Then of course, the songs:

Chitty Chitty Tikay

Hushabye Tikay

Me Ol’ Tikay

Then there’s Tikay singing the roses of success (sarcastically)

I think I'm looking forward to the scene where Tikay gets taken away in his toilet and starts singing the posh, posh travelling life the most!

Have a great show!

• edited February 2013
    Tikay - Old Man River - paul robeson
    Rich - Poor Little Rich Boy  -  regina spektor
    James - Jimmy Jimmy  -  Conway twitty
    Anna - Annas Song  - marvin gaye
    Carlo - Fog On The Tyne  - lindesfarne
    Ryan - Fisherman Blues  -  waterboys
    Redmond - The Gambler  -  Kenny rogers
    Jen - American Girl  -  tom petty
    Sarah - My Sarah  -  thin lizzy

To be performed live on Britains Got TALENT !!!
  • edited February 2013
    Haven't worked the plot out but mine wuold be based around Paint Your Wagon with Tikay obviously playing Ben, the Lee Marvin character (he may need some practise at acting drunk)Carlos to play 'Pardner' the Clint Eastwood character if only for the delight of seeing him sing "I talk to the trees (but they don't listen to me)" and Anna to play the feisty 'shared wife'Ryan Redmond and Stuart could play themselves as goldiggers, James you can be 'Rotten Luck Willie' the saloon owner and Orford the preacher man.  I'm afraid the only female parts left for Jen, Sarah et al are the prostitues that Ben manages to kidnap (sorry Jen).
  • edited February 2013
    musicals arent my strong point. 

Gonna take a stab and say the plot could be Catz, replacing all the cats with fish. 

as for songs, since its now a musical song now, Queen "Dont stop me now" could be changed to "dont raise me now"

• edited February 2013
    As an amendment to the Don's post - I would like to hear the mighty Queen play;

"Donk stop me now"

Pity is that on today's play they always do...

In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    musicals arent my strong point.  Gonna take a stab and say the plot could be Catz, replacing all the cats with fish.  as for songs, since its now a musical song now, Queen "Dont stop me now" could be changed to "dont raise me now"
    Posted by The_Don90
  • edited February 2013
    Now we're talking James! This is my sort of area, I spend most my time writing songs haha. Thee one time we come onto musicals, I miss the opening two hours of the show as I'm busy with the production of one! However, I shall be with the show later on. Anyway my effort...

Carlo Citrone... Based on Joseph's Coat from Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat

He looked handsome, he looked smart,
    He had a massive Geordie heart,
    But he spent too much time on the sunbed,
    Stead of focussing on his poker instead.

He was orange and orange and orange and orange.....

Sorry Carlo, us northerners should stick together! 

Have a good show.
  • edited February 2013
    Mmmmmmmmmm Jen Mason.............What was the question again? :)

I think the plot should be based on Poker in Space aptly titled "Sky's The Limit" as in Sky Poker & Limit Holdem.

The story line is about a Team of Sky Poker Astronauts who arange the worlds first ever poker tournament in space caled the "USOP" (Universal Series Of Poker)

Songs......Mmmmm - "You Raise Me Up" by Westlife maybe? and the "Final Table Countdown" by Europe.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Guys

Got a hand for the clinic if possible please...

#627172434 (21:05 27/02/2013)

I have become more nitty recently. this was a rebuy too.. Mini open.....

The player BOSS, i respect as they have a good record and just won the superoller for 8k...

When i get check raised on the turn, i am narrowing their range to full houses and trips,  (54s for example) or 66... even A4...
    they can also have diamond draws i guess ( but unlikely) if they have pure bluffs, wp them!

I assume they see me as a fish, so i have just folded 1 pair here thinking it was usually behind. I will hate myself if they are value bettin worse aces!

I'm not gonna beat about the bush here... I just wanna see what they had.. ty :)
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Guys Got a hand for the clinic if possible please... #627172434 (21:05 27/02/2013) I have become more nitty recently. this was a rebuy too.. Mini open..... The player BOSS, i respect as they have a good record and just won the superoller for 8k... When i get check raised on the turn, i am narrowing their range to full houses and trips,  (54s for example) or 66... even A4... they can also have diamond draws i guess ( but unlikely) if they have pure bluffs, wp them! I assume they see me as a fish, so i have just folded 1 pair here thinking it was usually behind. I will hate myself if they are value bettin worse aces! I'm not gonna beat about the bush here... I just wanna see what they had.. ty :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Before this hand gets shown Greg mate can i just say Good Fold :)
  • edited February 2013
    THE PLOT

consists of 2 seperate stories,that fate brings together

Anna-the bride to be
    rhy rhy- her sweetheart
    tikay-the devious uncle
    carlo- her uncle.s hood

orford-the gambler
    jen- the gamblers long suffering wife
    redmond -the son
    yoyo-the banker
    anna wants to marry her childhood sweetheart,but her uncle forbids the marriage,as her fiancee,who is the son,of the man that gave her uncle,a bad beat in day 1A of the bakewell poker festival.Grudges run deep in derbyshire.So the only way they can marry if anna wins the wsop main event,to pay for her own dowry ,and wedding.

Orford the luckless,and bad gambler,is running out of time as his house is at risk from reposession,he has even endentured his son,out to the local mine owner.If he cant save his home,and buy back his sons endetures.His long suffering wife(,the lovely jen) is leaving him,and may possibly fall into the arms of the banker,so his last ditch attempt is the wsop.

This is where the stories come together,and now there,s everything to play for.
  • edited February 2013
    I'd just like to emphasise that I have not in fact spent all day writing a musical based on the life of James Hartigan. That was a joke, although I've no doubt that "James!" would of course be a spectacular smash hit.

Anyway, a hand for the clinic if you're interested:

From last Thursday's Mini Bounty Hunter:

Hand History #624923942 (20:47 21/02/2013)

Pre-flop I wanted to charge the limper and take the betting lead against what should be a very weak limping range on the button. I didn't want to make up the blind and play out of position to both the button (who I have no history with) and TinTin who is a very good player. I figure that this raise, followed by a c-bet, should be very profitable in the long-run and 9Ts has plenty of value. What do we think, is it better just to make up and hope to see a multi-way flop? The implied odds can't be great against two weak ranges, right?

On the flop, I wish I'd bet a bit more and all sorts of draws come in on the turn but let's skip over that to the river, which is my real question: Should I continue betting and turn my hand into a bluff? I can make it really hard for my opponent to call without a big spade, after all. Is it better to check and hope for a cheap showdown?

Thank you muchly.
  • edited February 2013

You can put my hand last on the billing for the clinic if you have lots of them. I won't take it personally if it's left on the cutting room floor if time runs out.

• edited February 2013

The final table
     the devious uncle (will stop at nothing)
    the uncle,s hood  (do anything for a pound)
     anna                  (the bride to be??)

orford                 (the happless gambler)
    yoyo                   (the banker)
    redmond             (wants out of the mine,he has to win)
    the lovely wife      (secretly wants the banker to win) she,s had enough of donkey orford

hartigan the narrator

rhy rhy the analyst
  • edited February 2013
    Final table song choices

the uncle,my way

the uncles hood,  money money money

anna, im getting married in the morning

donkey orford,poker face ((in costume)

the lovely wife,i dont know how to love him

yoyo,the girl is mine

redmond,im nobody,s child

hartigan,viva las vegas

rhy rhy, the gambler.

Thurs & friday,s are my days off sorry guys

• edited February 2013
    I don't normally send hands in, especially hands i wasn't involved in but this hand was pretty crazy!

Hand History #627506059 (20:13 28/02/2013)
  • edited February 2013
    I don't normally send hands in, especially hands i wasn't involved in but this hand was pretty crazy! Hand History #627506059 (20:13 28/02/2013)
    Posted by jordz16
    Hi Jordz,

thanks for the request, where is the hand from?
  • edited February 2013
    The Don actually posted his KK hand in the clinic section and just about all of the responses agreed with Jen that the Small Blind's range was likely to be too wide to justify a fold.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Jen (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : Before this hand gets shown Greg mate can i just say Good Fold :)
    Posted by _ARAZI_

Ta.. turned out that way...
    just wanted to confirm my read on the player!

ty for showin it guys
  • edited February 2013
    regarding my previous post it was a hand from the £33 bounty hunter 
  • edited February 2013
    Turn on my QJ hand you showed was a misclick. Instead of hitting the 1/2pot button i accidently hit fold, which gives u every option but bet. I then felt i had to re-assess as a c/r seems spewy. 

So my passive play was in reaction to not being able to bet :( 
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for showing my 97 3 street bluff guys  NOT ! :)

not my finest hour lol
  • edited February 2013
    KJ hand was me getting stubborn. Just lost a big pot all in pre on a different table as a result didnt play it optimal. 
  • edited February 2013
    If there was to be a Sky Poker musical it would have to be 42nd Street!

Thats how many cards it would normally take to make my hand!

But with show numbers like

- Young and Wealthy
    - I only have fives for you
    - We're in the money
    - Lullaby of Broadways - by Julian Thew and Company
    - Shuffle off to buffalo
    - With Plenty of money and Thew

surely it's a winner?