You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

scotty77 crushing UKIPT

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat

After Day 1a of UKIPT, Ryan sits in 11th place with a very tidy stack.

Benjamin Jackson United Kingdom 197700
Philippe Souki United Kingdom 159800
Mathew Perry United Kingdom 137900
Mark Gardner United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 136000
Adrian Veghinas Romania PokerStars Qualifier 123600
Patrick Simcoe United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 118600
Timothy Clarke United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 110800
Scott Shelley United Kingdom PokerStars Player 109300
Arkady Kielman United Kingdom 102300
Tristan Taylor United Kingdom PokerStars Player 101200
Ryan Spittles United Kingdom 100200

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Go go Ryan!!

I'd be worrying about the the Friends actor currently in third though.  I mean, could he have any more chips?
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to scotty77 crushing UKIPT:
    After Day 1a of UKIPT, Ryan sits in 11th place with a very tidy stack. Benjamin Jackson United Kingdom 197700 Philippe Souki United Kingdom 159800 Mathew Perry United Kingdom 137900 Mark Gardner United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 136000 Adrian Veghinas Romania PokerStars Qualifier 123600 Patrick Simcoe United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 118600 Timothy Clarke United Kingdom PokerStars Qualifier 110800 Scott Shelley United Kingdom PokerStars Player 109300 Arkady Kielman United Kingdom 102300 Tristan Taylor United Kingdom PokerStars Player 101200 Ryan Spittles United Kingdom 100200
    Posted by Tikay10
    We would expect nothing less from him. :D Great player. I know its early but TID!!

Wow dint know Matthew Perry plays poker lol and if you was joking and its not him, then silly me :P i googled him and see him playing poker xD
  • edited March 2013

Nice going, would be great to see Ryan take it down.

I don't know too many names on the Uk live circuit, Ryan Spittles, Julian Thew, Tony Kendall and Paul Jackson and then I'm struggling..... Richard Orford?

So raised eyebrow's from me at the name at the top of the leaderboard, as I believe that's Paul Jackson's son?

Paul has been my favourite guest analyst on the Sky shows, I like his honest appraisals and for me anyway, always put's across his thought process and explanations very clearly, I've had an 'aah now I get it moment on more than once occasion listening to Paul Jackson'.

You obviously have to have the game and attitude in your own right, but in the world of poker having a father and mentor like Paul Jackson must be worth a few extra starting chips.

If the Benjamin Jackson at the top of the UKIPT leaderboard is not related to Paul Jackson, well all I can say, 'Paul Jackson's son will do very well in a big poker tournament one day' :)

• edited March 2013

Hi Darty,

Yes, Ben is Paul's son, & a very exciting prospect, too.

He already has a few nice cashes to his name, though he had a bad experience at Blackpool a year or so ago when he won a GUKPT event & got mugged on the way back to his hotel. They stole his bag, thinking it contained the £20,000 or whatever he won, but all it contained was his dirty washing! He runs good....

I agree as to his Dad's ability to explain, in a way we can all understand, the basic thought processes needed in poker. Paul keeps things VERY simple, & I don't think I know a soul in poker who teaches the game better, with the possible exception of Simon Trumper when he talks about Omaha. 

Maybe we should get Paul back on the Show again soon.

Paul has a daughter - Kelly - who is also incredibly good at poker, one of the best young female players I can recall seeing in recent years.  

• edited March 2013
    Ryan spittles and Ben Jackson ftw

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: scotty77 crushing UKIPT:
    Hi Darty, Yes, Ben is Paul's son, & a very exciting prospect, too. He already has a few nice cashes to his name, though he had a bad experience at Blackpool a year or so ago when he won a GUKPT event & got mugged on the way back to his hotel. They stole his bag, thinking it contained the £20,000 or whatever he won, but all it contained was his dirty washing! He runs good.... I agree as to his Dad's ability to explain, in a way we can all understand, the basic thought processes needed in poker. Paul keeps things VERY simple, & I don't think I know a soul in poker who teaches the game better, with the possible exception of Simon Trumper when he talks about Omaha.  Maybe we should get Paul back on the Show again soon.   Paul has a daughter - Kelly - who is also incredibly good at poker, one of the best young female players I can recall seeing in recent years.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Please arrange this soon as. Best peice of poker advice i've heard came from Mr Jackson.
    Summat along the lines of 'let them hit their 10-1 shot.It only encourages them to do it again and you'll make more money in the long run'.
  • edited March 2013
    Thank you all.  Played really quite ABC all day.  Think I had KK/AA/AK all just once and other than that it was just adding to my stack here and there with nothing much at all.  Great struture but because of the amount of players they are expecting on the 3 start days (200 yesterday, 400ish today and 400 same from Thursday) they had to add in 2 extra levels to make sure they had enough room for everyone who makes day 2.

On the subject of Ben Jackson he is an awesome player.  Played with him a lot over the last 2 years and has really really improved so much.  Really puts you in tough spots all the time.  Would be great to have the father/son combo on the show but sadly he won't be 25 for a good few years yet!

But yeah day 2 lets hope that I can keep adding to my stack!

• edited March 2013
    Hi Darty, Yes, Ben is Paul's son, & a very exciting prospect, too. He already has a few nice cashes to his name, though he had a bad experience at Blackpool a year or so ago when he won a GUKPT event & got mugged on the way back to his hotel. They stole his bag, thinking it contained the £20,000 or whatever he won, but all it contained was his dirty washing! He runs good.... I agree as to his Dad's ability to explain, in a way we can all understand, the basic thought processes needed in poker. Paul keeps things VERY simple, & I don't think I know a soul in poker who teaches the game better, with the possible exception of Simon Trumper when he talks about Omaha.  Maybe we should get Paul back on the Show again soon.   Paul has a daughter - Kelly - who is also incredibly good at poker, one of the best young female players I can recall seeing in recent years.    
    Posted by Tikay10

+1 to this also. He was a guest when I first discovered Sky Poker TV about 2 years ago and I thought he was brilliant. It'd be awesome to have him back on. :)

• edited March 2013
    Go go Ryan!! I'd be worrying about the the Friends actor currently in third though.  I mean, could he have any more chips?
    Posted by TommyD

Oh i see what you did there. Could I of sniggered any more? Also showing our age with old Friends gags. :-/
  • edited March 2013
    I would love to be on your show.
    Don't have a son called Ben though. Is that a problem?
    I have a cat called Oscar if that helps?
  • edited March 2013
    good luck to Ryan. Please dont do a Don as my uncle puts it. 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: scotty77 crushing UKIPT : Oh i see what you did there. Could I of sniggered any more? Also showing our age with old Friends gags. :-/
    Posted by mewillows
    very good tommy,

glgl ryan, that man's def up for a result sometime soon!
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to scotty77 crushing UKIPT : We would expect nothing less from him. :D Great player. I know its early but TID!! Wow dint know Matthew Perry plays poker lol and if you was joking and its not him, then silly me :P i googled him and see him playing poker xD
    Posted by shaun09

hi shaun, i am sure that you also noticed the english romatic poet in 8th place.

• edited March 2013

In Response to Re: scotty77 crushing UKIPT : hi shaun, i am sure that you also noticed the english romatic poet in 8th place.
    Posted by aussie09
    Hi Rob.

I know Scott Shelley (the poker bloke) quite well, but I was not familiar with Percy Shelley, as poetry holds no interest for me. But I saw your post & thought I'd better look this poet chap up, & it turns out he led a quite extraordinary life, though died very young in tragic circumstances.

Despite not living to be 30, he seems to have packed more into his life, especially travel (a very tiresome thing in those days) than most of us do in a lifetime.

Whilst perusing his work, I chanced upon this quite wonderful bit of prose. Unfortunately, I had to do a little creative editing to get it past the swear filter, but it does not harm the piece. 

It is called The Cloud 

I bring fresh showers for the thirsting flowers,
    From the seas and the streams;
    I bear light shade for the leaves when laid
    In their noonday dreams.
    From my wings are shaken the dews that waken
    The sweet birds every one,
    When rocked to rest on their mother's chest,
    As she dances about the sun,
    I wield the flail of the lashing hail,
    And whiten the green plains under;
    And then again I dissolve it in rain,
    And laugh as I pass in thunder.

How good is that?

Mr Shelley's tale is here....some really interesting stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Bysshe_Shelley
  • edited March 2013

yes, pretty good.  he shows promise but the great surprise is that he has abandoned all in order to play the UKIPT.

• edited March 2013
    Tikay,  Rob.  Time to take your pills boys ;o)

• edited March 2013
    GWAN Comrade Ryan!!!

ps. nice poem TK!!

tho I prefer summat a bit more Chest Pounding!!

Here's One fa Ryan......
  • edited March 2013

INSPIRATION!!!!

Once more unto the Baize , dear , Comrades once more;
    Or close the wall up with our HitSquad dead.
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of Poker  blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
    Disguise Your Hand  with hard-favour'd rage;
    Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
    Let pry through the portage of the head
    Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
    As fearfully as doth a galled Limp
    O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
    Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
    Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
    Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
    To his full height. On, on, you noblest HitSquad.
    Whose blood is fet from fathers that be Bluff-proof!
    Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
    Have in these parts from morn till even fought
    And sheathed their Pocket Pairs for lack of argument:
    Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
    That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
    Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
    And teach them how to  RAISE And you, good Squaddies,
    Whose limbs were, made on SkyPoker show us here
    The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
    That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
    For there is none of you so mean and base,
    That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
    I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
    Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
    Follow your spirit, and upon this Flop
    Cry 'God for Scotty77,
    SkyPoker, and The HitSquad!'

William Shakespeare & The Hitman

circa 2010

• edited March 2013

A quick "good luck" to Ryan, who returns today for Day 2 of this event.

I expect Ryan will tweet his progress, so if anyone sees how he is getting on, please try & update the thread, & if I get the chance, I will do so, too.

• edited March 2013

So many friends of mine are still in this, & I have got a bit of action in some of them, including Karl Mahrenholz, Richard Blacklock, & Keith "The Camel" Hawkins.

I also noticed that Jamie Burland, David Vamplew, Yucel Eminogu ("Mad Turk"), Andrew Hulme, & Tom Hall, good luck to them all.

The names above EXCLUDE qualifiers from Day 1c, which was yesterday. The field, in total, has been HUGE, which says something positive about the poker economy, & don't forget, it is followed next week by the London EPT.

Fingers crossed (many a slip twixt cup & lip) Channel 861 will be at the EPT on Monday for Day 1b, trying to get some player profiles & interviews, which will appear on the Channel in the coming weeks if all goes to plan.
  • edited March 2013

Ooh, must just mention the bestest-named qualifier into Day 2.....

Neophytos Neophytou

Gotta love him. Or her.
  • edited March 2013
    Ooh, must just mention the bestest-named qualifier into Day 2..... Neophytos Neophytou Gotta love him. Or her.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I would love instructions on how to pronounce that. 

gl to all, expessially Ryan 
  • edited March 2013

Come on Ryan...Juan time!

• edited March 2013
    Good Luck Ryan - TID
  • edited March 2013
    GL Ryan

Also noted David Docherty is through to day 2 with just below average. 
  • edited March 2013
    Go on Ryan!  We're very close to getting the funk out here.

Always nice to see the Mad Turk still knocking about.  He is unique.
  • edited March 2013

Good luck mate!......my mate is still in (Ashton Clayton) only 48 k in chips tho.
    Say hello if you come across him( and go easy on him!)

• edited March 2013
    Got a good table draw, with a lot of European shortish stacks.

And rather annoyingly, Ben Jackson but he is at the opposite end of the table.

248 left 144 paid so still some grinding to do! 
  • edited March 2013
    Got a good table draw, with a lot of European shortish stacks. And rather annoyingly, Ben Jackson but he is at the opposite end of the table. 248 left 144 paid so still some grinding to do! 
    Posted by scotty77

gooooooooooooooooooooooo Ryan. crush those european shorties (in a non-rasist and hieghtist way) 
  • edited March 2013
    noticed a number of ukipt early departured turn up to play the afternoon £50 freeze-out at the empire yesterday. quality of play was definitely higher/different than usual. 3rd and 2nd were a couple of brazilian mates. dealers were very tough to avoid collusion. 

as for the winner, woohoo, yes it is a brag post.

So come on Ryan. while i mop up the casulties you send them over and TID.