You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TV show thread

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
do we get a forum thread back, now the golf cross-selling has finished?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    It's stickied at the top but its closed.
  • edited April 2013
    first time i have watched the live show for a good while

noticed they are not asking for forum posts tonight just emails and tweets

tbh i had become bored of contributing every show (in before you all got bored reading it) but tbf there is only so much you can ask someone on a poker show after a while.

the show seems more strived to promotion now which i have no problem with. I would suggest a live show 3 times a week with the same 10 or 15 people contributing was not really a great positive to sky

• edited April 2013
    Being honest does it actually effect the ratings. I watched it, well i used the term loosely my tv was on it but i wasnt paying attention was just easier than giving up the remote the the misses. 

I mean how many people who want golf are randomly looking in the 800 digit channels on sky? 
  • edited April 2013
    I would like an explanation as to why the "official show threads" have now been marginalised in favour of emails and tweets? A thread on here is far more in the "community" ethos that Sky want to promote than either email or twitter
  • edited April 2013
    As you all know I hardly ever posted on the show thread (?) but I think it's a shame that they're going this way. I assume they think that increasing their Twitter presence will somehow boost numbers on the site. I don't know about that sort of thing, though...

It does seem likely that there will be fewer insightful poker questions sent into the show now. At least not so many from experienced players. Why do I care? I only sent in questions I already knew the answers to. :)

It's as though somebody has come along and broken my favourite toy. lol

Maybe they'll return to using the forum, maybe they won't. I'm sure we've all got other things we can be doing in the meantime.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh dear,

I had assumed that this was a one-off glitch maybe tied into the golf promotion on sky poker, but you are suggesting this may be a long-term change. I hope not. it's difficult to follow everything on screen live if you are multi-tabling at the same time, and the thread allows you to see others comments and therefore benefit from their knowledge, experiences and humour even if you miss it on-screen.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread:
    Oh dear, I had assumed that this was a one-off glitch maybe tied into the golf promotion on sky poker, but you are suggesting this may be a long-term change. I hope not. it's difficult to follow everything on screen live if you are multi-tabling at the same time, and the thread allows you to see others comments and therefore benefit from their knowledge, experiences and humour even if you miss it on-screen.
    Posted by GELDY
    Last week they weren't reading out any forum posts. On the Thursday the thread was open for hand ID's but that's it. Everything else was ignored. They say it's to get more twitter posts and e-mails.

I've said my bit on the sports betting shows. I'm not a fan but it seems they're here to stay too.
  • edited April 2013
    I've said my bit on the sports betting shows. I'm not a fan but it seems they're here to stay too.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Likewise I have no interest. However I do remember Tikay highlighting how expensive it is to air the SkyPoker shows, and if we need this cross-selling to finance the rest of it then I can understand that.

In Response to Re: TV show thread : Last week they weren't reading out any forum posts. On the Thursday the thread was open for hand ID's but that's it. Everything else was ignored. They say it's to get more twitter posts and e-mails.

But forcing us to use different social media to connect with the presenters seems unneccessary. I mean how many extra twitter followers will they get by making a handful of forum regs use it? And I'm sure the presenters can continue multi-tasking watching all the various incoming feeds.
  • edited April 2013

Hi Guys,

I'll try & address some of these points as best as I'm able.

I was asked the question yesterday - I think it was on the Team Sky Poker Thread, & I said.....

"....I'm happy to discuss, or try & explain, why the Show, & Show Thread, has taken a slightly different route of late, but I don't have time now as I'm prepping for tonight's Show, especially the 1 hour Golf Preview this evening.

We still welcome contributions & questions, & there may still be prizes, but we needed to change a few things. I'll try & explain why when I am next on the Community, tomorrow or Thursday. Don't suppose it will please everyone, but you know how it is......"

More to follow..... 
  • edited April 2013
    first time i have watched the live show for a good while noticed they are not asking for forum posts tonight just emails and tweets tbh i had become bored of contributing every show (in before you all got bored reading it) but tbf there is only so much you can ask someone on a poker show after a while. the show seems more strived to promotion now which i have no problem with. I would suggest a live show 3 times a week with the same 10 or 15 people contributing was not really a great positive to sky
    Posted by bugaloo
    You make a very valid point. It is never black & white (as to views & opinions, not the Show...) but you are sort of in the right ball-park there Bugsy.

More to follow.....

• edited April 2013

It is really quite hard to express some of these things in writing, with the constant danger that it will be taken out of context, & some hard facts have to be stated, not in any way intended to offend or hurt, but I'll be as direct as I can, to help get to the crux of things more quickly.

I think we ought to start with a hard fact - not intended to upset the applecart, but Channel 861 does not exist purely for the existing Client base. It is beyond imagination that it ever did, or could. It does not.

There is a good reason why other sites do not have a TV Channel - they are horrendously expensive to run, & the cost comes directly out of the Margin generated. Sky Poker is a relatively small room compared to The Big Boys, & THEY don't have a TV Channel. There is a reason for that. Cost.

Channel 861, if it existed ONLY to serve our existing - & very important - Community - would close tomorrow. A Channel simply cannot be monetised from the existing Community alone. 

It addresses several Target audiences, one of them is the Community, another, just as important, is potential new Clients. Sign-Ups, Acquisition. To continue to grow, the Business MUST seek new Clients all the time.

The balance had got a bit skewed, with more Community emphasis at the expense of less New Client emphasis. That has now been addressed. 

We know not all the existing Community enjoys the "Sports Previews", but the whole idea of them is to try to encourage a new, wider, audience, particularly those who do not currently either use Sky Poker, or even play Poker. They are key. To the best of my knowledge, these Sports Previews will continue, as they are performing their intended role. Over a 12 month span, I would expect, roughly, 8 or 10 of them, for the very biggest Sporting Events. Does not seem too onerous to me, 10 or 15 hours per annum.  

Cross-sell (to other parts of SB&G) is ALSO very important, they address that too.

The future of Ch 861 remains, as far as I know, secure - but it HAS to give more emphasis than previously to a wider audience.      
  • edited April 2013

Show Threads, Questions, Community Prizes.

The Presenters have been asked to give more emphasis towards helping Promote Sky Poker to a new & wider audience. By definition, none of them are Community Members.

So that is why they are not now generating Show Threads inviting questions & comments. They now invest that time in working up their Promotiuon ideas.

If you have a question for the Show, fine, start a thread, send an e-Mail, or Tweet, ask the question, and it MAY get answered. It has never been the case that every question is answered, no Show does that, ever, anywhere, but there seems to be a perception that we must.

The Budget for Free Prizes etc has NOT been amended, reduced, diluted. Presenters & Analysts, under the guidance of the Producer, can still give away as many Prizes as they always have. But not doing it robotically, "every Show must have £x worth of Prizes", we want to spend that money wiser, & wider.

So there is NOT a block on questions for the Community, but we are just trying to get a better balance of how the cost is spent, & the benefit it accrues.

It really is appreciated that the Community cares about the Show, & the Community will always remain one of the target audiences.

I hope that helps to answer some of your questions, & I'm happy to field further questions if need be.

I do happen to think that we, as a Business, may have communicated this better before it was implemented, but at least it has been done now, openly & honestly.  

• edited April 2013
    It's great that SKY have woken up to the fact that YOUR USP is the TV channel and to use this to attract new customers should be a number one priority...

I mean how times can you watch AAvQQ !

Make it intresting....get Channing on more....

Appeal to a wider audience..drag them in Tikay.....drag them in....

• edited April 2013

Sky Poker Cash Game

Probably best to mention that whilst discussing the Channel, too.

Some liked it, some not so much, but that was quite specifically designed with a very sharp focus on a wider & new audience which we achieved through it being aired on Sky Sports every week. In that respect, & what it achieved, it was a major success. 

The Community - or some of them - enjoyed it too, to a lesser or greater degree, which was pleasing, as we hoped that would be the case.

The next one is in the advanced stages of planning, & is likely to be recorded within the next three weeks. The Studio is booked, ditto the Crew etc. It will be along the same lines as the previous series, but with, for the most part, different players.

We were frequently asked "why does it not include regular Community Members"? Yes, we'd like it to, & yes, it is possible, it might. But......it is aimed at a wider audience on Sky Sports. A regular Community Member here, on the site every night, does not, by definition, necessarily make good or watchable TV for a Sky Sports audience.

We used to have a lot of Guests in from the Community, we respect them, & their loyalty to the Business. But many of them "froze" in front of the TV Cameras. That does not serve either party very well, & would not tick many boxes over at Sky Sports. 

On which note, you may well ask how I have got away with it for so long. I'll have to swerve that one, & just keep bluffing. I'll get called eventually.   
  • edited April 2013
    It's great that SKY have woken up to the fact that YOUR USP is the TV channel and to use this to attract new customers should be a number one priority... I mean how times can you watch AAvQQ ! Make it intresting....get Channing on more.... Appeal to a wider audience..drag them in Tikay.....drag them in....
    Posted by rancid
    Now why did it take me an hour, & all those words, when you encapsulated it in a few sentences?

Re-arrange these words.

Plot the lost has fella the old.
  • edited April 2013
    +1 Rancid.

The channel is a great plus that adds to the whole 'package' Sky offer. It's what drew me in, and is definitely a large contributing factor for why I'm still playing here years later.

I'm not a big sports betting man... well that's a slight understatement, I've probably placed about 2 bets in my entire life time and that's only been on the Grand National because I lived next door to it. So naturally, I'm not enthrawled by some of the segments, but it doesn't really bother me. If it helps fund the channel so it continues running forever then that's great, if it encourages more people to take up the game of poker on Sky (which I'm sure it will) then that's even better.

I definitely agree with the prizes thing too, sometimes it was like they'd announced they were giving 4 mini seats away, so they HAD to give them to someone regardless of the amount/quality of input.
  • edited April 2013

I don't think I need to talk again about the whole sports betting show issue.

To address the forum thread change: I'm not sure of the logic behind it. Surely people are more encouraged to get involved for the first time if they see and hear lots of other people getting involved. Reducing the volume of viewer comments by removing the forum would seem to discourage, not encourage, interaction from new viewers. There can't be much debate that the volume of viewer comment has reduced in the last week as a result of this. Twitter and e-mail comments weren't ignored in the past anyway.

It has to be said that I don't use or really understand Twitter, so there may be many things I'm not aware of about it.

So I'm not sure this is a change that will boost contributions to the show from new players. I know it's unlikely that I will be getting involved much in future, which is a shame for me. I'm sure everyone else will be happy to see the back of my show comments. :)

There is also the matter of the apparently disappearing Poker School, Ask the Expert and Analyse My Play shows. These seem to be gone from the schedule, which is disappointing to those of us who enjoyed the more focused attention these brought on viewer interaction. By this I mean that I am disappointed. Many have complained since the show format was changed last year, so maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that these shows were the best of the week.

• edited April 2013
    I love all the new stuff! Cant wait to see more.

The cash game was really good, need to make sure Rob is playing though!

Also is there any chance of getting it more alongside SkySports? Like The F1 channel is? Also whenever i see sky poker advertised it doesnt really use the TV Channel to its advantage - in fact i dont think it even mentiones it?! Also doesnt sem to menton any of the great Promos like Golden ticket aimed at the recreational player?

Keep it up.

• edited April 2013
    +1 Rancid. The channel is a great plus that adds to the whole 'package' Sky offer. It's what drew me in, and is definitely a large contributing factor for why I'm still playing here years later. I'm not a big sports betting man... well that's a slight understatement, I've probably placed about 2 bets in my entire life time and that's only been on the Grand National because I lived next door to it. So naturally, I'm not enthrawled by some of the segments, but it doesn't really bother me. If it helps fund the channel so it continues running forever then that's great, if it encourages more people to take up the game of poker on Sky (which I'm sure it will) then that's even better. I definitely agree with the prizes thing too, sometimes it was like they'd announced they were giving 4 mini seats away, so they HAD to give them to someone regardless of the amount/quality of input.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yup. We have to find 4 winners.

That makes no sense really.

As far as I am concerned, the Analysts & Presenters have the right to give as many or as few as they see fit, constrained not by the requirement that four prizes MUST be given, but giving where & when it feels & seems correct.

It all comes from the same budget, too, so if less prizes are awarded on the Show, then more money is available for day to day Prizes on the Community. I spend more time on the Community than the other 861 crew, & so I'll certainly be ensuring that the Community gets plenty of prizes. To be fair, it always has, & I don't think anyone could reasonably argue otherwise.  

• edited April 2013
    Yeah I actually really enjoyed the cash game. Obviously it wasn't  all the most serious game (but do ya really wanna watch that all the time?), but there were still a few interesting spots throughout and ultimately it was just god fun watching.

I'll be looking forward to the next one anyway.

• edited April 2013
    I don't think I need to talk again about the whole sports betting show issue. To address the forum thread change: I'm not sure of the logic behind it. Surely people are more encouraged to get involved for the first time if they see and hear lots of other people getting involved. Reducing the volume of viewer comments by removing the forum would seem to discourage, not encourage, interaction from new viewers. There can't be much debate that the volume of viewer comment has reduced in the last week as a result of this. Twitter and e-mail comments weren't ignored in the past anyway. It has to be said that I don't use or really understand Twitter, so there may be many things I'm not aware of about it. So I'm not sure this is a change that will boost contributions to the show from new players. I know it's unlikely that I will be getting involved much in future, which is a shame for me. I'm sure everyone else will be happy to see the back of my show comments. :)There is also the matter of the apparently disappearing Poker School, Ask the Expert and Analyse My Play shows. These seem to be gone from the schedule, which is disappointing to those of us who enjoyed the more focused attention these brought on viewer interaction. By this I mean that I am disappointed. Many have complained since the show format was changed last year, so maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that these shows were the best of the week.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    If they are not already Clients, then they will not, by definition, be on the Community.

The Show still gets just as many e-Mails - we now push the e-addy HARD.

Twitter? Well you say you don't understand it, which is fair enough. I think the Business does understand the very important role that Social-Media, in particular Twitter, now plays in ALL businesses. We must not ignore it, we must address it.

"Ask the Expert" & "Analyse Me Play" have NOT disappeared, but they are being moved to different nights, & freshened up. 

"Poker School" is under review right now, & I'm not sure if it will return, when, or in what form.

It is disappears, then that will leave a free slot for something else.....

861 will never stand still, it will always change things around, & try to be better. It is working so far, as audience ratings have improved dramatically of late. Higher ratings achieve nothing but the massaging of egos though, as those higher audiences have to be turned into new players. That's the key.    

• edited April 2013
    Yeah I actually really enjoyed the cash game. Obviously it wasn't  all the most serious game (but do ya really wanna watch that all the time?), but there were still a few interesting spots throughout and ultimately it was just good fun watching. I'll be looking forward to the next one anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    That was exactly how it was designed to be. We took some stick, which was a bit painful for those of us that worked hard to bring it to the screens, but it achieved EXACYLY what we intended it to, so we went home happy.  

We needed to convey to those who perceived poker as all serious, long faces, shades & hoodies that poker is intended to be fun, & bring a smile to the face. Poker, generally, really does need a PR makeover you know, it does not enjoy the best of reputations outside our insular world.

• edited April 2013
    Tikay i obviously has different views on different things to the channel im not going to argue that. 

However last night on the golf show you consistently advertised "odds checker" which i assume is a rival site. How does this help your current and future client base? 

Now id understand this if you went to sky bet. 

Secondly, going to the mastercash hour, you ended up showing a hand with KQ v Ax (i cant remember) they got Ace high and King hugh someone bet on the flop the other folded - this seemed like a very standard hand, surely there was better hands to show over 19 mastercash tables, or was it purely because that was a NL500 hand? 

Sorry to sound moany. 
  • edited April 2013
    Tikay i obviously has different views on different things to the channel im not going to argue that.  However last night on the golf show you consistently advertised "odds checker" which i assume is a rival site. How does this help your current and future client base?  Now id understand this if you went to sky bet.  Secondly, going to the mastercash hour, you ended up showing a hand with KQ v Ax (i cant remember) they got Ace high and King hugh someone bet on the flop the other folded - this seemed like a very standard hand, surely there was better hands to show over 19 mastercash tables, or was it purely because that was a NL500 hand?  Sorry to sound moany. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Oddschecker is not a rival site, it is very much part of (as in, "owned by") Sky Betting & Gaming. We want to promote as many of the "family" of companies as possible. That can't be bad for 861, if you think about it.....

One of the Guests (& some graphics) was from Oddschecker.

The other Guest was from SportingLife.com. That is also part of (as in, owned by) Sky Betting & Gaming.

The Betting Markets on the Graphics were provided by Sky Bet.

I don'y really know upon what basis the Mastercash hands were selected last night, but maybe the absence due to holiday of the regular chap - a really smashing lad, by the way, & Dan's # 1 Assistant - was the cause.

What you would not know is that there were serious technical challenges last night, which we overcome with some ad-libbing, & Rich Orford was not at all well.   
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread : Oddschecker is not a rival site, it is very much part of (as in, "owned by") Sky Betting & Gaming. We want to promote as many of the "family" of companies as possible. That can't be bad for 861, if you think about it.....   One of the Guests (& some graphics) was from Oddschecker. The other Guest was from SportingLife.com. That is also part of (as in, owned by) Sky Betting & Gaming.   The Betting Markets on the Graphics were provided by Sky Bet. I don'y really know upon what basis the Mastercash hands were selected last night, but maybe the absence due to holiday of the regular chap - a really smashing lad, by the way, & Dan's # 1 Assistant - was the cause. What you would not know is that there were serious technical challenges last night, which we overcome with some ad-libbing, & Rich Orford was not at all well.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ah this makes much more sense now. Amazing how big the BSkyB group is. 

Wasnt meant as a dig to the hand selector guy, i actually assumed its because there happened to be a high stake game on - i have nothing against high stake hands being shown. It just seemed a weird hand to choose. 

Rich didn't seem in great shape at all, he done well to soldier on. 
  • edited April 2013
    Dont use twitter and never will, have e-mailed in a few times, but it's so easy to just use the forum.
    I watched sky poker before i joined but never e-mailed, now i e-mail most shows.

So there might be lots of non members who watch the show but how many twitt or e-mail.
    So if members stop or slow down sending in messages, will the show suffer ? 
  • edited April 2013
    Dont use twitter and never will, have e-mailed in a few times, but it's so easy to just use the forum. I watched sky poker before i joined but never e-mailed, now i e-mail most shows. So there might be lots of non members who watch the show but how many twitt or e-mail. So if members stop or slow down sending in messages, will the show suffer ? 
    Posted by tomo_efc
    No, not at such, but that is not the idea.

The Show will only suffer if it fails to do the job is it designed to do.

Messages are an accessory to that, an ingredient which goes into the overall mix. 

We hope viewers will continue to send in e-Mails, Tweets, or ask questions via the Community.   

• edited April 2013
    I understand that viewers who aren't already players are not on the forum. The thrust of my point was that viewers are more likely to interact with the show if they hear lots of other people doing so, regardless of the medium used. Reducing the volume of established player contribution surely just reduces the overall volume. I don't see how it increases interaction from new contributors or new customers.

I understand why the Poker School might be shelved. After the first few months of the show, it was apparent that new topics were a bit thin on the ground and it also must be pretty difficult to find hands that are both interesting and display the ideas being discussed. I'm glad the other shows mentioned aren't being dropped, though.

The Cash Game was very good. I didn't agree with many of the criticisms at all. There was one I did agree with, though, and would hope could be avoided somehow in future. I don't hold Norman Whiteside's time at Man Utd against him and without wishing to disrespect him, he and some of the other sports stars were clearly out of their depth. It seems incongruous with the image that the show was trying to project to have this sporting "hero" knocked around by the pro "sharks". It made for pretty uncomfortable viewing to be honest. I really don't wish to disparage Mr Whiteside or the show but it might be better to... well... make sure the sports people have more of an idea of what they're doing. I'm not suggesting you should get rid of them and make the table full of pros but some of the players seemed to be almost total beginners.

Again, that may have been just my take on it and perhaps is not shared by the majority.

At any rate, I've been meaning to take a little forum holiday for a while. I enjoy posting here but it does take up alot of my time. Since the show thread was the thing that brought me to the forum, I'll allow this to prompt me to take that break. With the time it frees up I'm sure I can find something else to do... like teach myself a few new languages. :)
  • edited April 2013
    A quick comment on Twitter.  It is fast becoming THE global bulletin board.  Any company, particularly in the entertainment industry (which online poker is in), needs to get out in front on this and really build a presence (an audience or 'follower-base') on there.  I actually thought when Sky Poker recently got the @skypoker name from someone rather than continue to use the @sky_poker handle that this was absolutely huge.  Yes, I'm going mental about an underscore but it's pretty darn vital.  Just for appearances you look more professional if you have 'your' name on there.  I got lucky with my Twitter, I was the first me on there.

Unless they charge for Twitter in the future, or there is some massive issue with adverts/personal information, Twitter will become a part of pretty much everyone's life within a couple of decades at the most IMO.  Supporting evidence, everyone from Questiontime to guests on SoccerAm are being promoted with a hashtag.
  • edited April 2013
    On cross selling/cross promotion.

Completely vital, completely correct.  I've probably missed the following and it's been going on for a while but I hope the other branches of Sky B&G and SkySports are cross selling Sky Poker to their customers as well.  A few Tweets can go a long way, SSNews tweeting Charlotte Jackson's appearances, SkyBet tweeting about the golf show etc, all help to get more members on the poker tables.