You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TV show thread

2»

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread:
    On cross selling/cross promotion. Completely vital, completely correct. I've probably missed the following and it's been going on for a while but I hope the other branches of Sky B&G and SkySports are cross selling Sky Poker to their customers as well.  A few Tweets can go a long way, SSNews tweeting Charlotte Jackson's appearances, SkyBet tweeting about the golf show etc, all help to get more members on the poker tables.
    Posted by TommyD
    I just checked SkyBet's Twitter.  Pleased to say it is going both (or all) ways and as I said I've been missing it.  Tweet about the show and a RT from sportinglife.com promoting the show and appearances.  As it should be and completely the way to go right now.

Pleasing.
  • edited April 2013
    Maybe it's my age Tommy (60), my grandkids say go on twitter grandad we will follow you err ? lol.
  • edited April 2013
    Maybe it's my age Tommy (60), my grandkids say go on twitter grandad we will follow you err ? lol.
    Posted by tomo_efc
    Very possibly Tomo, but then again I'm sure you will have ample opportunities to get into it if you want to.  It's the sort of thing that sounds silly if you describe it and you only get hooked if you use it.  It's a curious beast, but when I consider how very far technology and communication has advanced in the past couple of decades it staggers me.
  • edited April 2013
    the full twitter thing is weird, i use twitter but i only ver go onto it if i want to message someone, - think the last time was to congradulate tommy on tsp. once to contact show with a rub down to james as he spoke about tikay naked. the other times i use it is when im playing live staked as its the easiest way to stay close to stakers.
  • edited April 2013
    On cross selling/cross promotion. Completely vital, completely correct.  I've probably missed the following and it's been going on for a while but I hope the other branches of Sky B&G and SkySports are cross selling Sky Poker to their customers as well.  A few Tweets can go a long way, SSNews tweeting Charlotte Jackson's appearances, SkyBet tweeting about the golf show etc, all help to get more members on the poker tables.
    Posted by TommyD
    agree totally with the cross-selling arguments.
    and with the need to embrace the latest social media
    but one can be a little more sensitive with the treatment of one's existing fan base who may not want to / be able to move with the times - but are currently your biggest supporters.
  • edited April 2013
    the full twitter thing is weird, i use twitter but i only ver go onto it if i want to message someone, - think the last time was to congradulate tommy on tsp. once to contact show with a rub down to james as he spoke about tikay naked. the other times i use it is when im playing live staked as its the easiest way to stay close to stakers.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Everyone, from companies and corporations to the individual Joe like you and me now have two lives or presences.  The real world and the virtual.  Twitter can be the universal communication tool for that second life and to me might well turn out to be as important in human history as the creation of a universal currency when Spain first minted a piece of eight.
  • edited April 2013
    I remember when teletext was the bomb !

If you can communicate with it, then it becomes a marketing tool.

ashtag...what ?

• edited April 2013
    I think you're too positive on the fate of "Twitter". Ten years ago you would have said the same thing of "Myspace", five years ago "Facebook". There'll be another Social Media site to take over from twitter too.

I've never signed up to twitter, but have looked at a few peoples feeds. The amount of noise to genuine info is massive. How do people who follow large numbers of others wade through the sheer quantity of nonsense on it?
  • edited April 2013
    A big thanks for Tikay taking the time to give honest comments about the Channel

The shows are still entertaining, diverse and great fun to watch!

Anyone who doesn't have a genuine affection for the presenters, guests and analysts must be watching a different channel!

It is disappointing the show thread has been discontinued because amongst the humourous comments are often some gems of wisdom that can be read if you've missed the show, or if you've watched the show, and just want to read them again.

I am on Twitter, but to be honest can't be doing with tweets, retweets, following, liking or ha sh tags!

The shows are magic IMHO and the presenters bespoke for the job they do, 
    I'm just sad that the permanent record we had in one place, the forum thread, has been discontinued.

As far as the prizes went. I have won more than my fair share but to be honest they weren't necessary. I'd happily pay a subscription to watch the show just for the banter and warmth!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread : Everyone, from companies and corporations to the individual Joe like you and me now have two lives or presences.  The real world and the virtual.  Twitter can be the universal communication tool for that second life and to me might well turn out to be as important in human history as the creation of a universal currency when Spain first minted a piece of eight.
    Posted by TommyD
    surrely facebook could be used in the same context then. just as popular, if not more popular than twitter, and you actually can have a conversation rather than snippets. 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread : If they are not already Clients, then they will not, by definition, be on the Community.   The Show still gets just as many e-Mails - we now push the e-addy HARD. Twitter? Well you say you don't understand it, which is fair enough. I think the Business does understand the very important role that Social-Media, in particular Twitter, now plays in ALL businesses. We must not ignore it, we must address it.   "Ask the Expert" & "Analyse Me Play" have NOT disappeared, but they are being moved to different nights, & freshened up.  "Poker School" is under review right now, & I'm not sure if it will return, when, or in what form.   It is disappears, then that will leave a free slot for something else..... 861 will never stand still, it will always change things around, & try to be better. It is working so far, as audience ratings have improved dramatically of late. Higher ratings achieve nothing but the massaging of egos though, as those higher audiences have to be turned into new players. That's the key.    
    Posted by Tikay10

great.  new people.  can we have more maxallys and fewer tommyds please?

(ps.  alan, just knew you'd be ok with this line.  big respect really)
  • edited April 2013
    so i have now hit follow skypoker on my unused twitter account - go with the flow as they say

i get a more like this button - press it and i see james hartigan but no other sky analyst/regular presenter

in fact most of the links are to rival sites/people!

sounds like sky needs to be doing a bit of optimisation to their tweet world - or whatever it is called

#bitembarrassing

• edited April 2013
    also #skypokers seems to be a Japanese tweeter - maybe worth a few pennies to buy that off them
  • edited April 2013
    My two-penneth for anything it may be worth..

I've had a SkyBet account for yonks, and a poker alias for a while but only really started playing just before Christmas. I started playing regularly because of two main factors: one - I came in after a few drinks and stumbled across the channel, and two - what I found when I got there.

It was a live show with Orford and Tikay, and I was struck by Tikay's enthusiasm. I enjoyed his mannerisms and views on hands, and that the pair of them were having a great time. Tikay plugged the forum and its poker clinic, and mentioned a DTD tournament which ran on Mondays for cheap where this great community got together and had a load of fun and banter. I loved the fact people could send their hands in and these guys would comment on their play, it seemed easy and accessible to all, and I wanted to hear my name on the show. So I got involved.

I checked out the lobbies the following day, and got back into the game I'd tried and fell out of love with 5+ years ago. I found the Poker Clinic in the forums and found confirmation of the things I'd been considering, and learnt loads more too (reading others' hand postings rather than placing my own). I came back to the channel and to my dismay it wasn't live every day!! I played some games, got involved in (some small) UKOPS events (this 'celebration of poker' that Tikay was particularly excited by), and I loved the buzz of it all. I got to learn names of regular players through watching the show, and to find these guys who are taking down tournmaments every day posting in the forums and writing diaries, I thought it was incredible (it is!).

SPT London came around, I tried many a satellite and eventually made it. I was then contacted by one of the forum teams and felt the full force of the community spirit that exists on Sky. It felt great. I attended SPT and got to see and meet all the familiar faces from the TV, and the unfamiliar faces behind the familiar aliases from the site.

I play far too much for my own good now, and I'm hooked on the show!

For me, this is the journey that Sky need to take today's non-member on. The first big barrier to all of that is that no-one appears to know the channel exists! It needs promoting in some way, whether this is through twitter or Sky Sports events I don't know, I'm no businessman. I personally found the cash game a little slow, I'd have preferred to hear more of the chat and banter, I also felt sorry for Norman Whiteside - it wasn't a normal (or easy) game to play - pre-flop raises were getting no respect (as they all just wanted to be involved and have fun, which is fine), but I imagine it achieved its objectives.

I had thought recently that the live shows had started to get a little samey with the same people sending in their hand requests, winning prizes etc and I'm not surprised to see a 'freshening up'. I now love the channel, and it doesn't need to reach out to me anymore, instead it needs to demonstrate to the target audience what is on offer, and start their journey. Promote the sign-up offer, promote the interaction, promote the community but also PROMOTE THE CHANNEL!!

I obviously also have personal fews on the current content, but I've rambled on way too long already.
  • edited April 2013
    My two-penneth for anything it may be worth.. I've had a SkyBet account for yonks, and a poker alias for a while but only really started playing just before Christmas. I started playing regularly because of two main factors: one - I came in after a few drinks and stumbled across the channel, and two - what I found when I got there. It was a live show with Orford and Tikay, and I was struck by Tikay's enthusiasm. I enjoyed his mannerisms and views on hands, and that the pair of them were having a great time. Tikay plugged the forum and its poker clinic, and mentioned a DTD tournament which ran on Mondays for cheap where this great community got together and had a load of fun and banter. I loved the fact people could send their hands in and these guys would comment on their play, it seemed easy and accessible to all, and I wanted to hear my name on the show. So I got involved. I checked out the lobbies the following day, and got back into the game I'd tried and fell out of love with 5+ years ago. I found the Poker Clinic in the forums and found confirmation of the things I'd been considering, and learnt loads more too (reading others' hand postings rather than placing my own). I came back to the channel and to my dismay it wasn't live every day!! I played some games, got involved in (some small) UKOPS events (this 'celebration of poker' that Tikay was particularly excited by), and I loved the buzz of it all. I got to learn names of regular players through watching the show, and to find these guys who are taking down tournmaments every day posting in the forums and writing diaries, I thought it was incredible (it is!). SPT London came around, I tried many a satellite and eventually made it. I was then contacted by one of the forum teams and felt the full force of the community spirit that exists on Sky. It felt great. I attended SPT and got to see and meet all the familiar faces from the TV, and the unfamiliar faces behind the familiar aliases from the site. I play far too much for my own good now, and I'm hooked on the show! For me, this is the journey that Sky need to take today's non-member on. The first big barrier to all of that is that no-one appears to know the channel exists! It needs promoting in some way, whether this is through twitter or Sky Sports events I don't know, I'm no businessman. I personally found the cash game a little slow, I'd have preferred to hear more of the chat and banter, I also felt sorry for Norman Whiteside - it wasn't a normal (or easy) game to play - pre-flop raises were getting no respect (as they all just wanted to be involved and have fun, which is fine), but I imagine it achieved its objectives. I had thought recently that the live shows had started to get a little samey with the same people sending in their hand requests, winning prizes etc and I'm not surprised to see a 'freshening up'. I now love the channel, and it doesn't need to reach out to me anymore, instead it needs to demonstrate to the target audience what is on offer, and start their journey. Promote the sign-up offer, promote the interaction, promote the community but also PROMOTE THE CHANNEL!! I obviously also have personal fews on the current content, but I've rambled on way too long already.
    Posted by bbMike
    FWIW I dont think you rambled on too much.
    I think you told it as you found it and more likely how most people find it!
    The only thing I think is missing is where you say it doesn't need to reach out to you any more. I think encouraging new members is paramount to building the site but those at intermediate stages of development still need encouragement to stay with the site.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Tikay. It's good to know the rationale behind changes even if they aren't (immediately) appreciated.
  • edited April 2013

No worries Geldy, & I'll reply further to all of the questions & comments where applicable as soon as I can clear my desk a bit, I'm a bit overloaded right now.
  • edited April 2013
    I think you're too positive on the fate of "Twitter". Ten years ago you would have said the same thing of "Myspace", five years ago "Facebook". There'll be another Social Media site to take over from twitter too. I've never signed up to twitter, but have looked at a few peoples feeds. The amount of noise to genuine info is massive. How do people who follow large numbers of others wade through the sheer quantity of nonsense on it?
    Posted by FCHD
    You don't wade through it,just follow Neil Channing, he retweets anything interesring on the entire Twitterverse.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: TV show thread
    Sky Poker Cash Game Probably best to mention that whilst discussing the Channel, too. Some liked it, some not so much, but that was quite specifically designed with a very sharp focus on a wider & new audience which we achieved through it being aired on Sky Sports every week. In that respect, & what it achieved, it was a major success.  The Community - or some of them - enjoyed it too, to a lesser or greater degree, which was pleasing, as we hoped that would be the case. The next one is in the advanced stages of planning, & is likely to be recorded within the next three weeks. The Studio is booked, ditto the Crew etc. It will be along the same lines as the previous series, but with, for the most part, different players.   We were frequently asked " why does it not include regular Community Members "? Yes, we'd like it to, & yes, it is possible, it might. But......it is aimed at a wider audience on Sky Sports. A regular Community Member here, on the site every night, does not, by definition, necessarily make good or watchable TV for a Sky Sports audience.   We used to have a lot of Guests in from the Community, we respect them, & their loyalty to the Business. But many of them "froze" in front of the TV Cameras. That does not serve either party very well, & would not tick many boxes over at Sky Sports.  On which note, you may well ask how I have got away with it for so long. I'll have to swerve that one, & just keep bluffing. I'll get called eventually.   .........................................great to hear a new live cash game is being recorded so soon very entertaining with some great play & chit chat with good variety of players also the program where the hands were analysed i felt was great tv & entertaining i to get a pro players mind set can only be beneficial to ALL players you cant keep em all happy all of the time but you can keep some people happy some of the time 
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited April 2013
    Hate to state the obvious but..

If there is more emphasis on getting new customers, how come you dont have any kind of advertising for upcoming poker tournaments etc during the 5 min breaks? Most of the "hot seat" items have been repeated to death, surely a few infomercials of what people could be winning etc would help promote the site?
  • edited April 2013
    Never realised oddschecker was owned by by Sky , I use it all the time and have copied and pasted odds from it onto forum posts, but never gave the name of the site as i thought it wouldn,t go down to well on here

I suppose i can now say what a  gr8 site it is with odds from everything from reality TV shows to all sports. A must see for all punters
    . Certanily the best odds comparison site i,ve used and i,ve used a few
  • edited April 2013

Morning all.

I promised to re-visit the thread, & try to answer all the questions.

There is a bit of an honesty problem here - if I had not explained the reasoning, the matter would have died away quietly, but I really like to explain why the Business, or Channel, do certain things. In doing so, it often throws up more questions than answers. 

In short,
    everything is done for a reason. 

Having said all that, I may be causing myself more problems, but let me just re-iterate a few things, & how the recent changes came about.....

• edited April 2013

I have explained WHY some things were changed recently - it was a matter of getting better balance between the different target markets that Ch 861 seeks to address.

Two of the most important ones are.....

The Community, & existing player base.

Potential new players.

Each requires a different approach, & the two had got out of balance recently.

And so......

• edited April 2013
    Tikay has sky ever considered an affiltrate programme? (hope ive worded this right)
  • edited April 2013

....we had a Meeting, in London, with most of the 861 "Talent", the Producers & Head of Channel, & some serious suits from Head Office.

The suits reminded us all why they invest so much money in the TV Channel, & suggested that we might need to get a better balance between the different targets. Fair enough.

Once the suits had gone, we sort of agreed between ourselves to make some changes in the short-term, to correct the imbalance.

Not necessarily permanent changes, but get things back where they should be.This might mean a temporary over-correction, won't argue with that.

So it was agreed that in the near-term, the "old-style" Show Threads would not be run, & we would concentrate more on a wider range of targets. 

There is nothing to prevent anyone starting a thread during or before a Show, & the Show WILL answer them, if they have time. Obviously, no Show can guarantee or promise to repy to every question, we never did or could, & never will, not all questions are worthy of TV time, or appropriate.

Questions can also be taken via e-Mail, PM, or Twitter.

Once we have corrected things, the Show Threads, old-style, MAY return.

We must never lose sight of one thing though. No Online Poker Site can justify the cost of a 24/7 Channel on its existing player base & Community alone. It would be wrong to suggest otherwise, it is a fact.

It's just balance, & the need to constantly evolve.

The feedback is really appreciated, thank you all.

• edited April 2013
    Tikay has sky ever considered an affiltrate programme? (hope ive worded this right)
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yes Don, Sky Poker & SB&G generally are fully up to speed on Affiliates.