You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I have decided to give up playing on the cash tables.
I do everything by the book. Only play the big hands. Put in the correct size bets and raises.
But still get called by the donks who manage to hit every time.
Mastercash is a great programme and I watch it every week to learn how to play the cash tables correctly, unfortunately the donks don't watch the program and will still call with any two no matter how you play your hand.
Never again will you see me on the cash tables.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Boycot playing the fish!

Only play people who are at a similar level or better than us.

That way our profits will riseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • edited December 2009
    I made this pledge about 12 times before finally giving it up 4 months ago

£700 up since...stick to nitty STT & MTT mate

Good luck!
  • edited December 2009

Cah is different to tournys, u cannot play "by the book" every hand is an event! theres no "correct way" to play any 2 cards! its like the warzone of poker, once u enter, stand up n be counted, or die!!!!!

throw ur instruction manual out the window, adapt or collapse!

DOHH

• edited December 2009

I don't play cash myself, but am fascinated by the strategy involved and have watched plenty of it at all stakes and levels.

As far as I can tell, it's far more common to play loose and raggy hands down the streets in cash compared to tournaments. So only playing big hands with "correct" size bets and raises is not I think an optimal strategy in cash.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
     Cah is different to tournys, u cannot play "by the book" every hand is an event! theres no "correct way" to play any 2 cards! its like the warzone of poker, once u enter, stand up n be counted, or die!!!!! throw ur instruction manual out the window, adapt or collapse! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    what you have said here DOHHHHHHH is absolute correctamundo.There is no rules in cash.dav
  • edited December 2009
    I intend to stick to the DYM sit 'n go's and maybe the smaller D/S tournaments when my BR allows me to.

I sit and watch a cash table for about 15 minutes before I play to work out the players and after I join they seem to change there play and go fishy. I cannot work out the reasoning behind the play of some players.

2p 4p cash table. Tonight I had KK on the button, three players limped, I raised it up 4 x BB and got 3 callers.
    Flop came 9 5 Q rainbow, Checked round to me, I bet 3/4 pot and get one caller. Turn comes a 7 non flushing. I bet all-in for £2.22 and get the call. He turns over 9 5 os. What was he doing calling my raise in the 1st place.
    I had not played any hands for about 2 rounds as I am a tight player.
  • edited December 2009
    watch the re run of master cash n ull see me collapse..well sort of....

The point I was trying to make is that cash game play,is so much more creative and personality based than tourny, theres ALWAYS an optimum play in a tourny, in cash u can 4 bet with 23 suited....n can flat call A 3 bet with AA, theres so many options! its great fun, and if u can make it pay, even better!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    4 x bb raise too small with 3 limpers esp @ 2/4p
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
    I intend to stick to the DYM sit 'n go's and maybe the smaller D/S tournaments when my BR allows me to. I sit and watch a cash table for about 15 minutes before I play to work out the players and after I join they seem to change there play and go fishy. I cannot work out the reasoning behind the play of some players. 2p 4p cash table. Tonight I had KK on the button, three players limped, I raised it up 4 x BB and got 3 callers. Flop came 9 5 Q rainbow, Checked round to me, I bet 3/4 pot and get one caller. Turn comes a 7 non flushing. I bet all-in for £2.22 and get the call. He turns over 9 5 os. What was he doing calling my raise in the 1st place. I had not played any hands for about 2 rounds as I am a tight player.
    Posted by apollo_11

SEEMS TO ME UR PLAYING BELOW UR SKILL LEVEL, SORRY BOUT CAPS JUST REALISED BUT CNT BE BOTHERED TO DELETE IT N TYPE IT AGAIN. LOL. ADJUST UR RAISe size according to who ur playing against. an overbet is a good move at lower levels, gl, Its one of those things i cnt rly help u with, u will suss it out for urself n just get a feel for it!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    4xBB is a standard open, however with 3 limpers you should be adding a limpers 'tax' of 1bb per limper.  So if I was in your position I would be making it 7xbb minimum.  In fact at those levels I would say just go to 10xbb.

But yeah maybe cash isn't suited to your skill set.  If you have a good record at DYMs stick to them.

• edited December 2009

You used to win but now its full of donks uve quit? course!
    GL bullying the small stakes players!
    Who u tryin 2 kid?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009

I dnt understand why u wud quit when the tables have become full of donks? Unless being a donk is now a compliment?

• edited December 2009
    because donks always get lucky omfg last night i got rivered the donk had AK I had QQ and booom A river.

its so rigged it never happens in my once a month home game
  • edited December 2009
    people play with more junk in cash cos its cheap.

When you get the goods, bet and bet hard.

Make them pay for their draws
  • edited December 2009

Im not saying ur wrong at all! Im just amazed u see this as a negative? lol Surely its all in ur favour, tighten up, n let the money come to u, rather than having to work for the money! I think ya crackers for giving it up especially if ur a compatent player, as u must be to have been playing at quid 2 quid!

More donks the better, easy money! (btw Im one!) Ill bet 70 quid to see if u can fold ya top pair !

lol

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    Dohh,the point im making m8 is IMO cash games now are flooded with lucksters trying to make a easy buck,whereas before it was a game of mainly skill on cash... i dont mean this in a derogatory way to "donks" what i mean is i dont wish to use my money for lotto anymore,what they do with theres is their business. Ive played on-line for quiet a few years m8,and have seen the change in play,if im wrong,then sobeit.
    Posted by fitzer14

I really dont understand this post. Surely you want cash tables flooded with lucksters.  The more the merrier.  The bottom line starts hurting when they start learning.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
    I have decided to give up playing on the cash tables. I do everything by the book. Only play the big hands. Put in the correct size bets and raises. But still get called by the donks who manage to hit every time. Mastercash is a great programme and I watch it every week to learn how to play the cash tables correctly, unfortunately the donks don't watch the program and will still call with any two no matter how you play your hand. Never again will you see me on the cash tables.
    Posted by apollo_11

btw, how long were you playing for.  how many tables and hours etc is this sample.  It is impossible to lose here at these stakes if you are playing abc by the book and using correct bet sizes.

Maybe you just didnt play for long enough to iron out the variance
  • edited December 2009
    had a few beers and read this and decided to write a reply...going back to the original post u say that u do everything by the the book and only play the big hands? what book have you been reading?? because i would throw it in the bin seriously!! cash poker does not work like that!! sitting around waiting for the premium hands and expecting to clean up is such a naive beginners strategy and it will not work in a game of competent players. sure these big hands such as AA KK QQ AK will win you lots and lots of pots and they are profitable, the only problem is the pots won are ALOT SMALLER than the ones they lose!! why?? because experienced cash players wont put alot of money in a pot unless they can beat a hand like top pair good kicker!!....
    cash poker is totally different to tourney poker and hands such as 45, 78 etc are not such a disadvantage to the premium hands and i will call or re-raise all day long with them against players who i consider 'rocks' like yourself (and yeah i will get called a fish lol) and see a flop, and then choose to get involved or not depending on whether i hit a big hand or have a draw to a big hand!  sure mostly the flop will miss me and i can let the hand go for a small price, however when i do make a hand i can then aim to take your whole stack which could be a monstrous payoff for a small investment!!...remember in cash poker big pots are won when big hands collide ie fullhouse, flushes,straights, trips....(how many of these normally come from premium starting hands?)...a good player in a cash game does not wait for premium hands, he can play more hands and some of these hands will be the so called weak hands which by many would be routinely dumped in the muck!
    obviously your not throwing away a pair of kings or AK before the flop but you MUST mix your good hands with an astute selection of other hands (10-9 offsuit, 7-5 suited, four-trey offsuit etc etc) not only are these hands not as weak as they appear but they are infact the hands which will most likely win your opponents whole stack!!...
    i honestly hope this makes sense lol because like i said im drunk! but i just wanted to put my point across...
    Andy
  • edited December 2009
    I dont like losing players calling people donks etc... if you cant beat them in the long run you are a donk/fish yourself. Don't just shove and be surprised when they call with 2 pair, your KK is guaranteed to win every time. Poker involves adjusting to the players you are up against, you play micro stakes so i recommend a TAG style... play picture cards and aim to outkick your opponent when they can't fold a weak top pair after 3 streets of betting. Fold even some of the stronger hands out of position, remember its not just that you can C bet etc in position, you can also maximise your profit more easily each hand using position by knowing how much to value bet etc.
    Just play ABC poker.
  • edited December 2009
     like  u say ur drunk, online line  play (in my experiene) requires a little patience,( even if its playin 3 hands every half hour.... the very few cash games i've played, need you to play with the of the flop and then make a decision,,, might seem the the same .. but in reality totally diferent     
  • edited December 2009
    fitzer... im thinking players have got better, uve stayed the same, now you cant win... probably playing outside your bankroll thats why your feeling like your gambling with your roll... drop down a few limits.
  • edited December 2009
    they will not lay down they aces or draws on here my god is this what poker comeing to
  • edited December 2009
    fitzer... im thinking players have got better, uve stayed the same, now you cant win... probably playing outside your bankroll thats why your feeling like your gambling with your roll... drop down a few limits.
    Posted by BlackFish3

This could well be the case.

$1/$2 level is certainly not full of fish and lucksters these days.
  • edited December 2009
      In my opinion the 2p/4p  cash tables are very hard to play on because of the chancers that play at that level. People who will call virtually any raise with any 2 cards in any position. Because of this it is almost impossible to get a read on the cards that these players have.  I am not talking about people playing hands like 45 or 87  but people who play Q2o or J4o.These guys are getting into the pot just hoping to get lucky. At the higher levels i can imagine that people will still call with these hands but with a purpose in mind and not just hoping to get lucky.

I see 2p/4p tables which regularly have 5 or 6 people seeing the flop. This is a very hard level to play against as the game just becomes luck based. Although i have not played at the higher levels i assume that the pure luck based play is not as rife and poker skill(which i do not possess at the cash game) will come more into play.
  • edited December 2009

Okay Fitzer I fully understand your point about enjoying the game. Thats what it's all about I suppose, I hate low stakes games as I don't enjoy them, and end up donking off just to get out of them! So I do see where your coming from.

If playing bigger stakes has the same effect on you, then it could become alot more expensive.

You're gettin abit of resistance from a few people throughout this thread, but I do understand what ya mean now.

GL, DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    am them stakes they give a dam what cards there got call anything just  new players plus it was saturday might have been on the beers there keep saying dont happen at higher levels thats rubbish
  • edited December 2009
      In my opinion the 2p/4p  cash tables are very hard to play on because of the chancers that play at that level. People who will call virtually any raise with any 2 cards in any position. Because of this it is almost impossible to get a read on the cards that these players have.  I am not talking about people playing hands like 45 or 87  but people who play Q2o or J4o.These guys are getting into the pot just hoping to get lucky. At the higher levels i can imagine that people will still call with these hands but with a purpose in mind and not just hoping to get lucky.   I see 2p/4p tables which regularly have 5 or 6 people seeing the flop. This is a very hard level to play against as the game just becomes luck based. Although i have not played at the higher levels i assume that the pure luck based play is not as rife and poker skill(which i do not possess at the cash game) will come more into play.
    Posted by Talon

2p/4p is not hard to play as you dont need to get reads on people or put them on hands.  You just need to play ur own cards, bet big hands strong, never bluff and you are a guaranteed winner here.  Making your standard opening raises 5 or 6x bb should cut down on players per flop.  If it doesnt, then make your raises bigger.
  • edited December 2009
    Agree with OmahonyO.  The key to cash is to have the ability to constantly adapt to your table.

Some tables I will play super tight, others I will play superLAG.  And as Tikay said last night, if a certain player is giving you problems either move seat so you have position on them or simply stand all together and find a new table.

• edited December 2009
    onc saw lolufold win £1200 fishing with 89 diamonds  guy raised big preflop with kk lolufold called  nothing to worry about on the flop there was two diamonds  so guy with kk pushed all in £470  lolufold called it a diamond on the river  thats fishing  the high stakes
  • edited December 2009
    onc saw lolufold win £1200 fishing with 89 diamonds  guy raised big preflop with kk lolufold called  nothing to worry about on the flop there was two diamonds  so guy with kk pushed all in £470  lolufold called it a diamond on the river  thats fishing  the high stakes
    Posted by scrumdown
    lolufold doesn't fish.  he makes the best descions 99pc of the time.

thats why he has the sickest roll on site.  i wouldn't be surprised if his roll was like 1000BIs at 500nl

when you are that rolled you can make these kind of high variance plays.