You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    well he fished then bud
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
      In my opinion the 2p/4p  cash tables are very hard to play on because of the chancers that play at that level. People who will call virtually any raise with any 2 cards in any position. Because of this it is almost impossible to get a read on the cards that these players have.  I am not talking about people playing hands like 45 or 87  but people who play Q2o or J4o.These guys are getting into the pot just hoping to get lucky. At the higher levels i can imagine that people will still call with these hands but with a purpose in mind and not just hoping to get lucky.   I see 2p/4p tables which regularly have 5 or 6 people seeing the flop. This is a very hard level to play against as the game just becomes luck based. Although i have not played at the higher levels i assume that the pure luck based play is not as rife and poker skill(which i do not possess at the cash game) will come more into play.
    Posted by Talon

i have played on 2p/4p tables an have not come across too many problems to be honest. But i am getting right into the cash game, what level would you suggest talon?
  • edited December 2009
    say play at 5 & 10 10 & 20 build a nice bankroll up then move up when  u ready to margatemaf
  • edited December 2009
    i think 20nl is where it becomes kind of like quarter-competent.

very easy level if you what you are doing tho but certainly not as many OMFG moments as 2p/4
  • edited December 2009
      Wayne the level to play at is the one decided by your bankroll. Using the rule of a minimum of 10 pull ups. I would suggest moving your way through the levels until you find the one that is best for you. Do not be too proud to go down a level if you have overstretched yourself. Also remember that it is possible to make more money at a lower level than your max if you can find the right tables.

The ideal table will be the one that you feel happiest playing. At the bankrolls that most of the players on this site have having fun is more important than making a load of money. If you can do both then all well and good. You have a job and that will give you all the stress you need the game needs to be fun
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for the advice guys! i am happy on the 2p / 4p as i have only just started playing cash tables so i will stick with what's comfertable i think an stay at micro level. Have got my bankroll from £20 to just over £90 and do not want to throw it away. But the cash tables are completely different an i really enjoyed them. The money is nice for sure, but i do want to keep enjoying my game so it's quite an easy decision really.

I may venture to 5p 10p, but only when i feel ok with it. As you said talon i have enough stress with my job on some days and don't want it at the tables too ;)

THANKS GUYS!!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : lolufold doesn't fish.  he makes the best descions 99pc of the time. thats why he has the sickest roll on site.  i wouldn't be surprised if his roll was like 1000BIs at 500nl when you are that rolled you can make these kind of high variance plays.
    Posted by scotty77
    500k br, thats insane.  what about sparce.  I have actually never seen him play he just seems to always be sitting at hi stakes hu tables on his own twiddling his thumbs
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : 500k br, thats insane.  what about sparce.  I have actually never seen him play he just seems to always be sitting at hi stakes hu tables on his own twiddling his thumbs
    Posted by OMahonyO
    lol...so true
  • edited December 2009
    hi, you say that you only play premium hands so do'nt you think the rest of the table see this. right or wrong you are going to be called by poor hands as the implied odds you are giving( as other players know you will bet out) when you are called makes it sometimes worth calling you to see the flop especially on the low stake tables as the bet is not financially prohibitive. Think about it on a .02/.04 table 4 times the bb is only .16 and if you hit you know that the return will be pounds. This type of play will eventually see you go broke if done all the time, but on the occassional gut feeling can be profitable.  
  • edited December 2009
    hi, you say that you only play premium hands so do'nt you think the rest of the table see this. right or wrong you are going to be called by poor hands as the implied odds you are giving( as other players know you will bet out) when you are called makes it sometimes worth calling you to see the flop especially on the low stake tables as the bet is not financially prohibitive. Think about it on a .02/.04 table 4 times the bb is only .16 and if you hit you know that the return will be pounds. This type of play will eventually see you go broke if done all the time, but on the occassional gut feeling can be profitable.  
    Posted by st4r
    No, I dont think the rest of the table sees this and most players at 2p/4p know nothing about implied odds.  The actual monetary value of a bet and raise should make no difference.  It should be thought of in terms of big blinds
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : 500k br, thats insane.  what about sparce.  I have actually never seen him play he just seems to always be sitting at hi stakes hu tables on his own twiddling his thumbs
    Posted by OMahonyO
    hes been around on iPoker for a long time before he came to Sky too.  I only noticed him on Sky about a year ago.

edit: and lolufold sits at the highest all the time.  one night he was 10 tabling, including 2 HU tables at 10/20 where he was like 10k deep on both.  think he had close to 30k in play just on the tables.
  • edited December 2009
    When I say I do everything by the book, I mean the way that it should be played according to the Mastercash program.

I did forget about adding a BB bet for each limper with my original raise in the hand quoted, but I still can't understand anyone calling with 9 5 os. He was the 1st caller so it is not as if he was priced in by the other callers.

I had been on the table for about an hour and after losing a small early pot with AK, I had slowly increased my money by about 30%.

I only play at the 2p 4p tables because it is within my BR. To play on the 4p 8p tables you need to have at least £100 in your account which I don't have.

I only play one table at a time due the the connection lag I get if I play more than one table, so I can watch the other players and their play.
  • edited December 2009
    From most of the replies to thes post, I assume that I must play cash games a lot looser than STT or MTT games.
    This is not my style of play and I would find it hard to adapt a looser style.
    I do OK on the STT and I will be sticking to them and the small D/S tounaments.

I hope that other players have learnt a lot from this thread, but I am not changing my mind about cash games.
  • edited December 2009

Surely if you where a manual follower you will get know where but if you adhere to certain rules and you  use the progressivly in your play over time it should work and in terms of these donks you say why not play specifically based on your chip stack and sure;y you will catch them out know when to make and break your flop

There obviously beating you for the reasonm of better calls have you ever thought of that
  • edited December 2009
    For what its worth, i have only just started playing cash recently. For the first week i was losing regularly. Then started playing very tight most of the time. In the 2/4 level thay will try to bully you with big raises, but you only have to win one big hand with a premium starting hand and then when you put in the right size raise they take you seriously, you can then loosen your range a bit, dont know if anyone read my recent thread on same subjet but am steadily winning, ok its not a fortune but it is a lot of fun trying to outwit these players who think they are the nuts!! (not saying i am that good, but if you are carefull you can get ahead) as per my post, started sat with £1 now up to £16 as i say its not a lot but i am not playing all day like some on there, only a few hours a day. You definately need to play each table differently, find i have to lose a few hands to define some peoples range.
  • edited December 2009
    fitzer... im thinking players have got better, uve stayed the same, now you cant win... probably playing outside your bankroll thats why your feeling like your gambling with your roll... drop down a few limits.
    Posted by BlackFish3
     Thnx for that Blackfish....."playimg outside my bankroll"???????????????
    how can i be when i no longer play cash??
    The bit i do agree with.........dont seem to be able to win like before.

So i STOPPED,how am i playing outside my bankroll??

Shall now remove my post,coz obviously nobody understands what i was saying
  • edited December 2009
    Okay Fitzer I fully understand your point about enjoying the game. Thats what it's all about I suppose, I hate low stakes games as I don't enjoy them, and end up donking off just to get out of them! So I do see where your coming from. If playing bigger stakes has the same effect on you, then it could become alot more expensive. You're gettin abit of resistance from a few people throughout this thread, but I do understand what ya mean now. GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
     Thanx for seeing both sides of the coin m8,unlike others i think you actually got the point i was trying to get across

Be lucky m8.

FITZ
  • edited December 2009
    Playing by the book will probably pay off in the long run, but there will always be people that play with more 'gamble'.
    Playing by the book may also make you more predictable on the table so your opponents can read you easier.
    Big hands wont get paid off and your bluffs will get called etc etc.

I see some incredible suck outs that you just have to take on the chin and know that eventually your play will win through in the end.
    Poker is a game of variance - just make sure that the downswings are short and have faith that your play is the best option.

I agree that it is totally different than tourny play
  • edited December 2009
    onc saw lolufold win £1200 fishing with 89 diamonds  guy raised big preflop with kk lolufold called  nothing to worry about on the flop there was two diamonds  so guy with kk pushed all in £470  lolufold called it a diamond on the river  thats fishing  the high stakes
    Posted by scrumdown
    this player is vital to such a small site's earnings(rake), if he runs poorly he takes his money elsewhere and the site loses a significant income,from what ive seen he runs exactly how i would expect for such a valuable customer.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : this player is vital to such a small site's earnings(rake), if he runs poorly he takes his money elsewhere and the site loses a significant income,from what ive seen he runs exactly how i would expect for such a valuable customer.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    w tf are you on.  yes he does generate a lot of rake but its a drop in the ocean for a site like sky.

if the cash for points system is say 20pc of rake, and lolufold gets 2k bonus/month, then he generates 10k of rake.  multi-national organisation fixing pokerz for 10k LOLZ.  also he plays mainly against other regs.  why would sky choose one particular reg to boomswitch and not the others.

why are people who are so thick allowed access to the internet.  actually just stick to area 51 with your mindless ramble.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : w tf are you on.  yes he does generate a lot of rake but its a drop in the ocean for a site like sky. if the cash for points system is say 20pc of rake, and lolufold gets 2k bonus/month, then he generates 10k of rake.  multi-national organisation fixing pokerz for 10k LOLZ.  also he plays mainly against other regs.  why would sky choose one particular reg to boomswitch and not the others. why are people who are so thick allowed access to the internet.  actually just stick to area 51 with your mindless ramble.
    Posted by scotty77
    you have serious issues outside of poker,get them sorted or your misery will never end.
  • edited December 2009
    theres no "correct way" to play any 2 cards! its like the warzone of poker, once u enter, stand up n be counted, or die!!!!! throw ur instruction manual out the window, adapt or collapse! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Aside from the first superflous setance, this post is kind of bad.

Of course there is a correct way to play your cards, otherwise everyone would perpetually be making mistakes.

And don't "throw your instruction manual" out the window, unless the manual happened to be written by an LOL_donkament player.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : you have serious issues outside of poker,get them sorted or your misery will never end.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    Don't be that guy.

Respond to a logical post with a logical answer or admit you're wrong imo.
  • edited December 2009
    OMFG HE FISHDE WIF 8 & 9 DIMINDS RIGGED
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks. : you have serious issues outside of poker,get them sorted or your misery will never end.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    Yeah his thetan levels are at an all time low I heard
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Why play on the cash tables when you do everything by the book and still get called by the donks.:
    I have decided to give up playing on the cash tables. I do everything by the book. Only play the big hands. Put in the correct size bets and raises. But still get called by the donks who manage to hit every time. Mastercash is a great programme and I watch it every week to learn how to play the cash tables correctly, unfortunately the donks don't watch the program and will still call with any two no matter how you play your hand. Never again will you see me on the cash tables.
    Posted by apollo_11
    you're telling me Apollo. It's just sick what the donks will call with. Personally i'm fed up of going in ahead and watching as some pleb hits his straight on the river after calling with 73o. Just played the hand that broke the camels back. KK on bb, raised 10 bb's, got a call. Flop 829 rainbow, bets 2x pot to put pleb all in, gets a call, turn and river both Aces, pleb's got A8o. Really p*****d me off that one, about the 12th today, had enough

Merry Xmas!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Apollo have sympathy for this thread but I don't think any different between cash or tournies other than you need a run of bad beats in a tournie.

Got my bankroll nice and high and then I have hit a terrible run. Almost evrytime I have been ahead when I put my money in and everytime i get a big call I end up seeing miracle cards to beat me.

I have looked at my play , i have looked at Tikays classes on position and the gap principle and I still keep getting rogered. Need a change in luck, which in the end you need to win however good you are.

And I ain't that brilliant but i also don't deserve somne of the bad beats I've been getting.