You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Tournaments! FREE Tournament entry to be won!!! Go to Page 2 for todays Free tournament offer!

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat

Hey everyone,

In line with Community Week, for the next 3 Wednesdays, we will be trying a variety of Omaha tournaments, to see what you guys think, and to see if any of them could become a permanent fixture in the schedule.

The tournament schedule will be as follows:

- Tonight- 7:30pm- £100 Guaranteed Omaha Bounty Hunter- £2.20 buy-in
-Wednesday 1st May- 7:30pm- £100 Guaranteed Omaha Re-Buy- £1.10 buy-in
- Wednesday 8th May- 7:30pm- £100 Guaranteed Omaha Hi-Lo Re-Buy- £1.10 buy-in

There will be a Freeroll into tonights Omaha tournament at 3pm giving away 20 free seats.

I have opened this thread for any thoughts or tips on how to become a good Omaha player...!

The best 3 pieces of advice (decided by myself) will win a free seat into tomorrow evenings mini event at 8:15pm.

Let us know if you will be playing tonight, and how the tournament played out :)

Thanks a lot,

Joe

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In b4 the "AAxx is only 1 pair" comments.

Mine...

Don't undervalue AAxx pre flop.

It's the nuts and if the action allows you to get the stacks (or most of your stack) in before the flop, do so! Especially if they're 'good (pretty) aces' 

edit* can't play the mini so u can have this 1 for free ;) 
  • edited April 2013
    Don't tilt !!!

You will get outdrawn lots of times !
  • edited April 2013

1)If you can not take 'bad beats' in Holdem, without going off on a full blown tilt melt down,........stay away from Omaha.

2)Remember the saying 'it is not over till the fat lady sings'. Most hands are won on the river and not pre/on the flop.

3)Dont listen to Doh's x 7 advice.

• edited April 2013
    working out what your opponent might have is even more important in Omaha than in HoldEm - as they often have it!
  • edited April 2013
    Don't claim to have the nut draw with just the bare ace of hearts !
  • edited April 2013
    Never enter a Omaha High-Low hand without trying to win both parts of the pot.

Beware thinking you've got the low half locked up if you have the nut two low cards to go with the ones on board, quite often someone else has the same two cards and you only end up with a quarter of the pot
  • edited April 2013

1/ Patience
    2/ Patience
    3/ Patience

• edited April 2013
    Don't play too many hands, hand selection is very important

Play pots in position, position is hugely important

Play good hands strongly, nut hands on flop and turn can often be outdrawn down the streets

Dave

• edited April 2013
    1) PLAYING IN POSITION 

2) ACES ARE NO GOOD ITS ONLY 1 PAIR 

3) PLAYING DOUBLE SUITED CARDS IS A MUST 
  • edited April 2013
    1) DON’T SLOWPLAY. 

Slowplaying is a big NO NO NO in Omaha. You will put yourself in unnecessary spots and end up losing a pot when you could have bagged it easily. So when you have a strong hand, BET IT.  Opponents are more likely to call with worst hands or worst draws than Holdem.

2) Aim for the nuts. 

When playing multi-way pots we have to aim for the nuts. A 10high flush will win us the pot in most cases in Holdem, but is almost never good at Omaha.  

A set over set situation is more likely to occur in Omaha so try to have the bigger set in order to stack your opponent. 

3) Omaha as we have said is a postflop game so everyone tries to see as much flops as possible. Because of that, limping is completely fine in PLO but raising in some spots it’s accepted also. Most of the time at least 4 players will see a flop. Our aim shouldn’t be to try creating a heads-up situation. That’s never going to happen.
  • edited April 2013
    My best piece of advice is ALLWAYS check what hand you have, and what hand others could have (esp multi-way pots).

And remember you have to play 2 of your own cards.

So many games i have played and players don't understand the basics, but if you fear the worse and be aggressive on the nuts you will be ok.
  • edited April 2013

1) Try not to have any 'dangly' cards in your 4 cards dealt to you, that don't really fit with anything else in your hand. Look at the potential of all 4 cards and how they will interact with each other to make straights, full houses, flushes, 4 of a kind etc.

2)  If you are dealt three of a kind - probably best to fold.

3) Yippee I've registered.
  • edited April 2013
    Evening all.

I had hoped to play this, in fact I even Registered, but some business matters arose which need my attention, so it's unlikely I will arrive before I blind away.

Sorry - but enjoy my chips!

• edited April 2013
    I played this, and got lucky enough (didn't feel I played particularly well, will review hands later) to cash and take a couple of heads so doubled my money,

However, I don't think the combination of Pot Limit and Bounty Hunter works particularly well together.

Can't play next Wednesday but I hope to give the High-Low on 8th May a go. I feel that's a better a game for me anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    Just saw this on the net, and i think best way to understand OMAHA.

Omaha Poker Tips 1: Slow and steady is the wrong way to go.

Delayed tactics in order to allow more money to be included in the pot during omaha poker is like a person signing his or her own death sentence. Unlike Texas Hold'em Poker, each of the players on the table that have additional two cards can be used to create a higher combination. If you delay, using your hand immediately through checking or simply matching the bet of the previous player, you are in fact creating a situation where your opponents would be able to create the combination that they are aspiring for. In Omaha poker, the more aggressive you are in the manner you play, the higher the chances for you to win the hand. This is because, compared to the Texas Hold'em version, Omaha Poker is a game suitable for aggressive players who can turn their cards as soon as possible.

Omaha Poker Tips 2: Bluff in your bets.

One of the most effective strategies in playing Omaha poker is to use betting to bluff the opponent. This would work better by bluffing your way in the game by raising your bets. This is because all players have more cards in their hand that they may use to combine with the community cards. As a result, the other players might actually call the raise, or would even decide to raise the stakes.

Omaha Poker Tips 3: Selective seating won't have an effect on your game.

In Texas Hold'em, where you are seated would often determines as to whether you win or lose in the game. But this does not happen in Omaha. No matter where you are, you can get yourself going to win. So wherever you are seated, you have good chances of winning the pot.

Omaha Poker Tips 4: Don't be blinded with the aces.

In poker, the most beloved card is always the ace card. When players obtain at least one ace in their hand, they begin to feel invincible and more confident. As a result, they tend to play rather carelessly, almost to the point of being complacent. Remember, each of the players holds four cards, so the odds that either someone may have one or both of the remaining aces (or all three if you're that unlucky!)

Omaha Poker Tips 5: Don't let him know what's in your hand

Study your cards well when you receive them. You should be able to mentally create the combinations without having to constantly glance on your cards. Constantly glancing on your cards would not only signal to your opponents that you are unsure of your bets. There is a possibility that the one beside you can have a very quick glancing eye to study your cards as well.

• edited April 2013
    Raise any 4 and hit every flop. Seemed to work for most of my opponents tonight.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Omaha Tournaments! FREE Tournament entry to be won!!!:
    Raise any 4 and hit every flop. Seemed to work for most of my opponents tonight.
    Posted by Giant811
    I think I had the player who knocked you out on my immediate right for about the first 90 minutes. He got some chips early and then proceeded to raise 99% of hands, and hit an amazing amount of flops (even when playing what looked like a complete bag of spanners pre-flop) and kept accumulating chips. By the time the table eventually broke, he/she had over 50K chips
  • edited April 2013
    my mum angie6108 only took it down :)  ask her for advice :)
  • edited April 2013
    My tip is a little silly!

Never forget you're playing Omaha!

The amount of times I've had full houses, straights, flushes and running flushes.
    Without hesitation shoved, and as the all in key is depressed realise I have to use two cards from my four not one!
    So I suppose concentration is the key to success not the all in button!
  • edited April 2013
    Best to play a hand where all four cards are relevant and if you do hit it will be the nuts or very close to it.

So for example play hands like 8,9,10,j or ak suited and 2 pair (say 10,10)

Avoid playing hands where one card is a rag (jj,q,3)

Also avoid chasing a flush which if you hit will be only 8,9 or 10 high because even if you hit it its likely someone else will have a higher one!

Research your opponent and their omaha play and this along with your cards and position will be your basis for decision making.

Ger 
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks everybody for your excellent input....! Very good advice across the board.

The winners of the free mini seat tonight are:

-Greekway
    -Mistree
    -Dunmidosh
    -Maxally

Thanks everyone,

Joe
  • edited May 2013
    Hey everyone!!!!

As promised, a new Omaha tournament will be trialed this evening

The £100 Omaha Re-Buy will take centre stage at 7pm with a cost of £1.10 initial buy-in and unlimited re-buys for 30 minutes with one add-on also available!

Let us know how the tournament played, and the best advice/suggestions, of how we can improve it for next time, will win a free Mini seat for tomorrow evening :)

Thanks a lot,

Joe
  • edited May 2013
    good stuff hope to play more omaha as their is not many tourments on here to play also have you thought about 7 card stud tourments these are great fun and make your brain work i play these on other sites and if you like omaha this is good fun but as on omaha good hands are out alot so becafeful but have fun
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks everybody for your excellent input....! Very good advice across the board. The winners of the free mini seat tonight are: -Greekway -Mistree -Dunmidosh -Maxally Thanks everyone, Joe
    Posted by Sky_Joe
    it was good and fair i think at 2.20 buy and no rebuys. also to have a guarntee of prize money gets more players. also bounty hunter omaha is good fun and people like bounty hunter tourments.perhaps have a omaha tourment every night so people could learn how to play game as their are always good hands out and more tourments the more players would learn game and then more players would play tourments.
  • edited May 2013
    The £100 Omaha Re-Buy will take centre stage at 7pm ...
     and the best advice/suggestions, of how we can improve it for next time,
    Posted by Sky_Joe
    start it on time!
  • edited May 2013
    1st time played as missed out last week, did ok and a great format to boot, hope sky bring this into the mtt schedule,  blinds at 10mins are great and rebuy and addon periords are great too.

i wouldn't change anything from this, the only thing i would like to add is that there should be more OMAHA mtt's. 

hope to play again next week BUMP (last week of trail)

Well done sky.
  • edited May 2013
    never played NLO before - didn't have a clue about bet sizing
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Omaha Tournaments! FREE Tournament entry to be won!!! Go to Page 2 for todays Free tournament offer!:
    1st time played as missed out last week, did ok and a great format to boot, hope sky bring this into the mtt schedule,  blinds at 10mins are great and rebuy and addon periords are great too. i wouldn't change anything from this, the only thing i would like to add is that there should be more OMAHA mtt's.  hope to play again next week BUMP (last week of trail) Well done sky.
    Posted by ms-tree

This.

Great fun, as always. But winning helps LOL, blatant brag.
  • edited May 2013
    Best bit of advice this week after playing this would be add on and rebuy
     to give yourself the best chance of cashing, hope to see you all next Wednesday for the final leg!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Omaha Tournaments! FREE Tournament entry to be won!!! Go to Page 2 for todays Free tournament offer!:
    Best bit of advice this week after playing this would be add on and rebuy  to give yourself the best chance of cashing, hope to see you all next Wednesday for the final leg!
    Posted by ms-tree
    If the trials continue to hit their guarantee and get a good response then we will keep the trial going for longer than the initial 3 weeks suggested...

Watch this space :)

Thanks for all your input!

Joe