You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Having a bad month? what to do

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Having  a bad time of it of late just getting coolers and getting sucked out alot 

Im am entering tourneys lately with no confidence of making the final table or crushing just waiting for the 1 hand that i lose on and am out of a mtt i feel like i am just clicking buttons without no thought process think this happens when on a downswing 

Do i have a lil break n come back frsher and more focused 

Or just keep playing and ride out the storm and i get a gd result soon 

Comments

• edited April 2013
    A few months ago you were talking about turning pro!
    Guess you should analyse what you were doing when you were on a roll and what you've been doing lately and try to find out whether you're doing something different or whether opponents have sussed your game!
    Try mixing your play up perhaps
  • edited April 2013
    I would suggest having a long break, say 3-4 weeks, and wait til you really have the urge to come back and play. watch some poker, read up some poker books, the more of that you do the more you will have the buzz to play yourself, and once you have the buzz back your confidence will come with that, and essentially your play should improve too, 

gl
  • edited April 2013
    lol 3-4 week break hell no id go mad im poker mad im thinking of a week break will do me good 

dunmidosh i still play it for a living as i have no job so poker is my income just feel burnout atm not enjoying the game i dnt think pople ave sussed me out as i always mix my game up depending on whos on my table 

i dnt think it helps that i hardly sleep most hrs sleep i get is 5 hrs even when im not onpoker i just cnt shutdown n sleep i go slep most days at 4am up at 9am i dnt think that helps me mentally think the reason i not sleeping is coz of all the silly hrs i am up playing poker 

think i need to get bk into playing snooker /pool or tennis summit else away from poker to keep my head ticking over 
  • edited April 2013
    Even just a few days off would help you imo mate.

Its very easy to let poker take over your life, try to get out and about more during the day and get a bit of sun on ya instead of poker turning you into a zombie.

Obvi we all know that if you want to make cash playing poker you have to put the hours in but not at the expense of it running your life.

Even if you play poker once you get back home at least your breaking the cycle of sleep/poker/sleep/poker etc etc etc.

Best of luck mate.

Daz.
  • edited April 2013
    cheers arazi make some good points there atm i just get up play poker have a few hrs break n play poker 

think ya right i need to do summit that gets me psyicallly drained so i can get a gd nite sleep i was thinking of getting a exercise bike but id rather go out n play tennis enjoy the sun thing is all my m8es work during the day so its hard having a tennis partner during the week 
  • edited April 2013
    my day to day is not alot tbh m8 i get up play poker lol need to go out more during the day but like i said my m8es all have day jobs so need to do stuff i would enjoy myself 

haha a good sh ag yeah that would be nice lol 
  • edited April 2013
    Looks like IDCU and Rock are meeting up! Have fun!
  • edited April 2013
    loool matt im solid solid as a rock lmao
  • edited April 2013
    Join the gym mate, get up there 1 hour an hour and a half a day.

It gets you out of the house, and will feel better after having done some exercise.
  • edited April 2013
    true larson deffo summit i am considering 

only exercise i am doing lately is weight lifting = picking up my beer glass every 2 mins to drink 

and running down to the off licence if its about 2 shut not really classed as a work out lol 
  • edited April 2013
    I couldn't survive without the gym at least 4 times a week.  Poker definitely fuels my workouts!
  • edited April 2013
    If yer unemployed you would prob get your local leisure centre for nout, or very little
  • edited April 2013
    do something else like suggested to break up your day

play less poker and study poker more, watch training vids etc.. Read up on strat, will give you a sense of something new in poker - poker is always evolving so stay ahead and keep your poker mind fresh

your stagnent so you feel bored with the game

downswings are for life so deal with it. it shouldn't affect you it's normal
  • edited April 2013

If your getting the money in ahead that is all you can do, as long as your are sufficiently bankrolled for the level you are playing you just keep going through it. If not then move down.

If you are getting frustrated I guess a couple of days off would make sense.

If you look at all the top players graphs, you will see they all have swings, its just about remaining focussed and not letting it knock your confidence.
  • edited April 2013
    If you're playing too much cut out the BS games like the 60p bounty hunters in community night that win you £5.50 worth of DTD entries every week.

It's not like you grind loads is it, you play 20nl >>>> 100nl and have made priority once? The rest of the months you avg what 4/5k points?

Think you're painting a false picture about how much poker you actually play. 

Make your sessions shorter, but more intense. 

15 MTTs over an 8 hour period with an avg buy in of £1.50 for community night just because there's an 8/1 chance of you winning a free £33 mtt seat is not an effective use of your time. 

• edited April 2013
    Following on from what DOHHH said really structure your play for a sustained amount of time a month, 3months or 6 months and get some consistency going in the games your playing. At the moment it seems like your game selection is random and dotted around different game types and stakes which is pretty useless imo. If you follow a structure it is much easier realise the sort of ROI or BB/100/hr you can realistically achieve. You can always change up a bit for a few days within this time frame if you feel like it. 

As your a winning MTT player on the site I would advise you to focus most of your playing time on the B/H's (£5-£20), speeds and the main and mini events each night. There are tonnes of £5-£20 B/H's running through the day which are extremely soft and have small fields (£11-£22) so the variance will be pretty low and if your putting in decent hours you should be able to crush. 

Also try and set goals both long term and short term. It's pretty pointless in setting a long term goal without having lots of short term goals to help you get there. 
    A long term goal could be something like achieve an ROI of x in MTT's up to £22 over x amount of games by the end of the year. 
    A short term goal could be to hit x amount of points in a month, play x amount of hours on cash etc. Just avoid setting £££ goals (especially short term) as you will inevitably become frustrated if you fail, yet you could have played really good poker over that amount of time and just went through some unfavourable variance.
  • edited April 2013
    30bb punts at PLO100 dont help either
  • edited April 2013
    you're obv a recreational player, just have fun. if you're having a bad month then stop, simple. 

• edited April 2013
    Dont play for the sake of playing, i did last night and picked nothin up all night, then when i did got rivered.
    And instead of calling it a day played again, and lost again.
    You have to be in the mood and feel like you can run well and make the right decisions.
    Have a break.
  • edited April 2013
    You don't even need a gym membership, just go for a run, or go for a bike ride. Don't get a bike machine because you're still not getting out of the house.
  • edited April 2013
    Even start off by going for a 20-minute walk and build up from there if you have to.

And, as others have said, really look at the games you playing. For someone who is playing poker as their main source of income, you seem to have a rather scattergun approach to the events you enter. Concentrate on what is making you money long term, and study to get your game better
  • edited April 2013
    First off m8,look at the bigger picture if possible.You've played the game long enough to know its a swings and roundabouts situation you're in.You've also won enough in the time I've been on the forums to suggest you,re good enough.Mental toughness is the key imo.Something I'm gradually gettin better at lol.Dont sweat it m8,you'll get there.
    Be good as always.
    Paul
  • edited April 2013
    find a better site than sky. shouldn't be hard to do lol
  • edited April 2013
    lol coxy yeah fancied a spin up lol  cheers for the advice guys just need to do summit n get of my azz in the afternoon 

exercise is what i need feel more focused at nite n get good nites sleep and I WANNA ENJOY THE GAME AGAIN :)
  • edited April 2013
    thanks bignoise 
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    just take a break if you know your not playing your a-game but if you are playin a-game and gettin sucked out just drop down stakes and continue to play m8.

also they are obvious other things you enjoy doing other than poker just do them or start a new thing like going to gym,going for run/walk cooking I dunno only you know what you would fancy.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Having a bad month? what to do:
    Looks like IDCU and Rock are meeting up! Have fun!
    Posted by MattBates
    lets not get things twisted here batesy, i wasnt offering haha
  • edited April 2013
    also idonk, you have a sick roi so i cant understand why you dont play the main and 9pm events.
  • edited April 2013
    think im gonna start doing that play the main n mini everynite n just stay away from cash tables