You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GoodBye

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat

after having another awful day , im ready to call it a day.  I hate quitting at somthing i wanted alot but i think its the smart thing to do im fed up of thinking the wrong things, doing the wrong things and in general just being rubbish at poker.  The thing is iv spent alot of time lately on my game and taking away a few good mtt results im as bad as i was before, so how would i ever improve?

In the last month i finish 16th in ukops main event (£400), won 3k rebuy (£1200) and finished 16th in £33 bh (£112) all which i sat'd in for and im still not happy with my play because cash is what i want to be good at, and i love poker but i hate losing and being awful at somthing i tried so hard in. so its not even about money.

I sat there today playing 20nl, trying my hardest to play the best i knew off , and lost 2 stacks , not including the $50 i lost on another site in the money.  I sat that with a face like a slapped somthing and thought whats the point? this isnt enjoyable and prob for the first time i dont think i could become a winning player.

Last thing ! i must say a massive thankyou to the people on sky poker who constantly commented on my hands and offered support through the chat or through a pm, i appreciated that alot so thanks for the time out your grinding to do that! i wish everyone else the best of luck at the tables !

Comments

• edited May 2013
    From what you have said it sounds like your doing ok? but if you have the mindset that you need to win every single session you play then you are going to feel disappointed a lot.. it sounds like you maybe need to concentrate on improving your mindset and enjoying playing poker rather than being entirely results orientated? are you in profit on a weekly/monthly basis? because if you are then it would be silly to give up just because you went a few days without winning. Cash is the hardest game to master in my eyes and i have found myself questioning my game after a few losing cash sessions, but you just have to continue improving your game day in day out, but if your consistantly doing well at tournaments and enjoying taking down big cashes then i would suggest stciking to that unless your determined to make poker your full time job 

whatever you decide good luck
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to GoodBye:
    after having another awful day , im ready to call it a day.  I hate quitting at somthing i wanted alot but i think its the smart thing to do im fed up of thinking the wrong things, doing the wrong things and in general just being rubbish at poker.  The thing is iv spent alot of time lately on my game and taking away a few good mtt results im as bad as i was before, so how would i ever improve? In the last month i finish 16th in ukops main event (£400), won 3k rebuy (£1200) and finished 16th in £33 bh (£112) all which i sat'd in for and im still not happy with my play because cash is what i want to be good at, and i love poker but i hate losing and being awful at somthing i tried so hard in. so its not even about money. I sat there today playing 20nl, trying my hardest to play the best i knew off , and lost 2 stacks , not including the $50 i lost on another site in the money.  I sat that with a face like a slapped somthing and thought whats the point? this isnt enjoyable and prob for the first time i dont think i could become a winning player. Last thing ! i must say a massive thankyou to the people on sky poker who constantly commented on my hands and offered support through the chat or through a pm, i appreciated that alot so thanks for the time out your grinding to do that! i wish everyone else the best of luck at the tables !
    Posted by robbie1992

Your 21 and your giving up?? I was 36 when i started and it was a good few years before I started showing a profit (like when I came to sky 3 years ago). Cash is the hardest discipline to master on the site, theres much better players than there used to be, If your good at mtts focus on that. 

• edited May 2013
     Everyone has a bad day----everyone has a bad week---- most have a bad month-----some have a bad 6 months---think about giving up when you have a bad year imo

You are learning mate, if you want to get into cash games, it will cost you money to learn--- luckily, you are a good tournament player, so you can subsidise your cash games while you learn--- there seems to be a new breed of player emerging these days---- we all have to adapt--- they are sneakier than they were, and we have to find a way to combat this--- we will---- next week---lol--gl mate-- floppa whoppa!!
  • edited May 2013
    robbie how long you been playing cash for?

cash like others have said is the toughest but also the most rewarding if you stick at long term.Me personally took nearly best part of a year to start winning at cash a little more consistantly.Also as a said on your other thread get the mental game of poker sounds like it`s that side maybe letting you down m8 but gl what you choose to do.
  • edited May 2013
    Ditto to all above post. 
    Without sounding patronising, may i suggest you read the book, THE MENTAL GAME OF POKER.                             By Jared Tendler and Barry Carter.
    weather you play mtt or cash, it will change your outlook on the game for the better, and enable you to understand the losses and the fortunes of wining.

Regards Alan.
  • edited May 2013
    this is just silly mate, from what i can see from your stats there is nothing wrong with your game as far as mtts go, uve made a tidy wee profit from very few games so i dont no why the defeatist attitude. just leave the cash alone, i cant play cash games and ive accepted it and just play mtts.
  • edited May 2013

Robbie, I play an awful lot less than I used to. Once upon a time I played thousands of sit and go's in a year. Nowadays I play a short session every few weeks. On the other hand, I watch, discuss and think about poker a great deal more now than I ever used to. I enjoy that more than I enjoyed playing so much.

There's no need to just quit playing. Play however much you enjoy. Keep doing what you enjoy and think less about the money. Why not view the game as I do and not worry about ROI, BRM and what not? You don't have to be a grinder, you know.

• edited May 2013
    dnt make sense the post if u feel u aint that gd at cash stick to what u are gd at n have a edge so play mtts 

i am the same i feel i am more comftable with mtts to cash so i play mtts 
  • edited May 2013
    Iv read the mental game of poker it's a great book I agree but I'm just fed up of benign back at the same place in poker where I feel lost with my game. Fair play to u that can go through a long period of losing and believe ur goig to get better but I just don't have the belief or the method,Iv done the hard work and training sites and it hasn't happened and I was so determined to become a good player. I can't stand being worse then others, if rather not play, then play and lose.  Poker can be the most disheartening game lol

Iv been playing cash for about 2 years seriously, I was winning at 50nl but dollars on stars, went on a downswing so then come sky and played 20nlvwhile I work hard. But I still struggling and I'm just fed up I'm feel tired out thinking about it and what I can do.

I don't mind putting time, effort and money into poker, but I have to believe I can achieve somthing and I just don't anymore.
  • edited May 2013
     It will prove extremely difficult to improve your game with such a negative attitude mate--- cheer up a bit--have fun--- for flop sake--- then your game will improve all by itself--- innit
  • edited May 2013
    You dont just jump into 50nl or 20nl expect to win and quit if you dont.

You start at 4nl and move up when you can beat it over 20k hands or something, you then hit 10nl, you move up again after you beat that etc etc.

Too many players look for the big bucks too fast without putting in the spade work needed to get them there.
  • edited May 2013
    Im not entirely sure why you'd want to quit.  Maybe you aren't as good as you want to be, but then noone is... everyone wants to win every tournament.

Looking at your sharkscope, it doesn't make sense.  You're clearly a good MTT player.  I cant stand cash... I'm utterly useless at it.  I'm rubbish in DYMs aswell and turbos and timed tournaments... but they are different versions of the game.  I stick to MTTs because its what i'm good at.  Clearly youre the same.

On the flipside if youre not enjoying it then yes, I'd advise taking a break - theres no point writing it off altogether.  Take a month or two off without even thinking about poker and come back and play the odd game for fun and see what happens from there.  I've done that recently after a little downswing and have come back and have enjoyed myself since.  Poker is brilliant when you are winning... disheartening when youre not, but take it a little less seriously and i'm sure you'l be better for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: GoodBye:
    You dont just jump into 50nl or 20nl expect to win and quit if you dont. You start at 4nl and move up when you can beat it over 20k hands or something, you then hit 10nl, you move up again after you beat that etc etc. Too many players look for the big bucks too fast without putting in the spade work needed to get them there.
    Posted by calcalfold
    thats just not quite correct, you dont have to start off at nl4, my mam could beat that level and shes never played cards in her life, if he has the money then nl20 is soft enough to start out on!!
  • edited May 2013

I do ok at 20nl playing part time.

I had a bad time at the end of last year and felt the same as you.

I took about 4 months away from poker and came back and am winning again.

Try a short break rather than giving up completely.

• edited May 2013
    Yeah I think 20nl is fine u want to make some money that's decent. All the things your saying is ur personalitys, my aim was to make money from poker and be good enough to play at a level I wanted, that's not happening and I don't enjoy poker when I'm losing, and I can't find a way to improve so I think I'd be better off not playing. It's not negative it's just a thought out solution, just because u play it doesn't mean ur going to get better it doesn't work like that there's no gtds in poker. That's the exact word disheartened, ill still watch and read about it..... I still need joe staple tons comments in my life haha

I think cash there's more money to be made. Mtts are very time consuming and not alot of money if u don't go very deep. It makes me more down then up and what's the point in playing when that's he case.

Thanks for all the opinions tho. That's why the forum is always helpful :)

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: GoodBye : thats just not quite correct, you dont have to start off at nl4, my mam could beat that level and shes never played cards in her life, if he has the money then nl20 is soft enough to start out on!!
    Posted by THEROCK573

Well you can start at it. If you beat it fine.

But op didnt, so should be starting at 4nl rather than giving up.

And that later comment is totally disrespectful to us 4nl ers trying to beat 10nl. shame on you
  • edited May 2013

Might be worth paying a coach to work with you for a few hours before ja cking it in altogether.

You must have a few quid left from all the MTT wins. You could use to employ somone as like a 'last chance' kinda thing if you really are serious about quitting, and not just on tilt/overreacting to a bad session.

Sounds like the 1 thing you haven't yet tried?

Might cost you £150 or so and not work out, but might be worth a go.

I know of a couple of people who offer this kinda thing specifically on sky low/mid stakes cash. There's probably others too.

gl in the future whatever you decide to do.

• edited May 2013
     If we lose at poker, I'm pretty sure it's someone elses fault
  • edited May 2013
     If we lose at poker, I'm pretty sure it's someone elses fault
    Posted by oynutter
    I blame the parents.
  • edited May 2013
    M8,I aint the best at the game,or ever likely to be but heres my tuppence worth.From whats been said above,you're a decent player and you're havin a bad run at somethin you aint beating.Fwiw stick to your strengths and go from there.whatever you decide,know that it doesnt begin and end with poker.
    Be good.
    Paul
  • edited May 2013
    stickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk with mtts n stay away from cash simples :)
  • edited May 2013
    Might be worth paying a coach to work with you for a few hours before ja cking it in altogether. You must have a few quid left from all the MTT wins. You could use to employ somone as like a 'last chance' kinda thing if you really are serious about quitting, and not just on tilt/overreacting to a bad session. Sounds like the 1 thing you haven't yet tried? Might cost you £150 or so and not work out, but might be worth a go. I know of a couple of people who offer this kinda thing specifically on sky low/mid stakes cash. There's probably others too. gl in the future whatever you decide to do.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This!

GL anyway as there is more to life then poker (dont tell dohhh)
  • edited May 2013
    FWIW, I'm exactly like you in the sense that I'm only really interested in playing poker if I can make alot of money from it. That's why I've worked so hard on my game over the years because while I do enjoy the game loads, it's all about the £££. Grinding up a BR is a slow process unless you do it with bad BRM and run good which can negatively affect your attitude to the game and your bank balance if you keep having to reload.

In before anyone says it... I'm not making a lot of money yet lol, but I'm slowly getting there. I can remember years ago when being +£10 was a really good day, now being like +£100 is a good day but it's all relative.

A great way to improve is to get a group of poker mates (ideally people who are at least as good as you if not better) and just talk about it. Videos and stuff are great but I don't think anything beats discussing it with other poker players and thinking abuot WHY you should do certain things.

Also like Dohh suggested, I've had coaching from one of the best (imo) players on the site, I can PM you details if you want, it was very reasonably priced for the standard of coaching. Definitely something I'd recommend.
  • edited May 2013
    Lambert,

What kind of format does that coaching take? I am very interested in getting some coaching to help with moving up.

• edited May 2013
    I havnt got a bad attitude or running bad or anyhing, I just look at the bigger picture and I don't think long term I can win, but while I'm young and not having to work 6 days a week and long hours I'm prepared to use my days tryin to improve and make money, because there's properly not going to be another point in my life where ill have this much time to focus on poker lol

Yeah but when u talk lambert u no what ur saying and are fully confident that ur answers are the correct ones u have good knowledge on the game, I just dont seem to have that. The coach thing ill definatly have a look at if u can pm the details , thanks Alot. 
  • edited May 2013

IMO you do have a bad attitude because

1) You can profit at tourneys it seems
    2) Have given up waaay too soon
    3) Have other options open ie 4nl, where there is potential to win decent money

FYI

The phrase dont quit at the first hurdle would apply. But you have quit after falling over on the way to the starting blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLYECIjmnQs
  • edited May 2013

I ont have a bad attitude, wiht respect, you cannot judge that fairly as you dont know my past poker history.  Theres been plenty of times i have thought im not going to be good enough, but i kept going.  Thats because i was joining a training site or pm players for advice, i had a plan of action that woul turn me from losing to improving player.  I have no plan, if i do the things i think ar correct i will lose today and tommorow and in the future.

Its nothing to do with attitude its about thinking of the situation in an intelligent way.  Does me being determined and playing on and losing my moneymean i have a good attitude? imo no it doesnt, it just means your niaeve to think anything would change. 

Iv had a long enough period playing to know my play is losing play, i watch enough poker and no enough to realise i do alot wrong in alot of situations.

I also do not want to play mtts, i dont find them interesting, i play them for abit of fun and for a change.  My main game i want to be is cash, i enjoy trying to consistantly play well and theres my aim to play well to consiscently win and beat the same players, that proves alot imo .

• edited May 2013
    Hi CalCal,

I assume with a decent coach then it'll be up to you really. In my case, we tried out a few different things, sometimes we'd just go through HHs, sometimes I'd watch him 6table cash and he'd explain the decisions he was making and why (via Skype etc) but mostly it was me 6tabling and him watching me play (screen sharing so he can see my cards).

Obviously he did not provide any advice during hands but after a hand is finished he might say 'why did you not 3bet pre there?', then we can chat about that while I'm playing on.

He'd watch for say 1 hour of me 6tabling, he'd be noting down any tendancies or specific hand IDs, then spend the 2nd hour discussing the specific hands he'd noted down and anything general he'd picked up on... was I missing out on spots to isolate limpers, was I not double barrelling on turns that are great to barrel, was I double barrelling on terrible turn cards to barrel, or whatever other leaks he's picked up on.

I got that when I was playing 10NL and I'm intending to get a bit more now that I'm playing 30NL. If nothing else, I can pay for it just out of my C4P and I only see that as a bonus anyway so it's like I don't have to pay for the training really.
  • edited May 2013
    Can i personally pitch in and say i dislike the single coach idea. 

I think its much more better to have a group of players, who discuss hands from eachothers sessions regular. I know a number of pro's have/or have been in groups with eachother. Infact one i played with live basically explained to me him and 6 or 7 other friends (who have since all turned pro) would have a weekly live game. After every hand the clock and action would stop and they would discuss the hand in detail. They would discuss literally every desision. 

They where once all average joes like most recrecional players. This combined with hard work has helped them develop into winning professional players. 

Im not saying try get into an exsisting group but even if you created your own with people who played the same level on skype or if you got together with some local players you know. 
  • edited May 2013
    Well depending on the coach I don't think it's worst thing in the world, I guess it depends what you want/how high you wanna go.

But yeah, I agree that a group of poker mates is a great (and free!) way to do it and it forces you to provide more input yourself and actually think about situations rather than just being spoon-fed answers to situtions. I did say that above, I only mentioned the coaching cos JJ had, and then CalCal asked about it.

It's only been the last probably 6 months (give or take) that I've been really discussing things in a group and during this time I got coaching too. Before that any discussion was virtually 100% 1-to-1 with Dohhhh and I constantly say this but he brought my game on in leaps and bounds in pretty much every single format.

FWIW, still think 1-to-1 coaching from a sick player is very beneficial.