You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

cash level

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
been playing a bit of nl50 recently and have notcied theres a guy on there who i know crushes the level, i presume its his sole income, but you never see him playing any other level, hes more than capable of playing nl100 or maybe above ( not that im his mother or anything and telling him what to do). i suppose some people just find there level and stay there.  anyone else like this and are just happy where they are and have no intention of moving up stakes, im not a cash reg myself but am watching a lot of videos on decues cracked to try and improve my cash game and i would love to play the nose bleed heights one day ( one can dream anyway).

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to cash level:
    been playing a bit of nl50 recently and have notcied theres a guy on there who i know crushes the level....
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Who you got in mind? :P If anything, it's a compliment, and just speculation anyway (even though airing on the side of caution and keeping it anon is always a solid move).

I'm currently sticking to just playing everything that runs on Sky, from 100nl thru 500nl, just to build my roll and take a variance free increase month on month. The next jump up from here is 1kNL on other sites, or trips to DTD for some deep Live Cash, and idm giving up a little value to take a low variance route and bank consistant wins til the BR gets really big.

But back to your 'crusher':
    Maybe the player in question uses his Cash grind to freeroll tournaments, and only moves up when he binks something so he stays versatile?
    Maybe he's a semi-pro who only looks to poker as a hobby and for some spending money on the side?
    Maybe he's risk averse, or can't detach himself from the money or variance, and wants to practice more at dealing with swings at comfortable limits?

There are so many reasons as to why someone doesn't move up in limits, and it's practically impossible to know without knowing more about the guy himself. Heck, maybe he's just a massive degenerate who bombs his winnings away in the pit games? Who knows!!

If I were to take a stab at it though? I'd guess he's just comfortable playing at his limit and consistantly booking W's. It's easy to get into a routine at a certain stake, and it can be really difficult to get out of your comfort level if that's all you've been used to for a while (even for a veteran/pro). It's quite possible he's using it as a form of income, and moving up could jeopardise his otherwise extremely good and predictably solid winrate. The challenge may not be worth much to him, more so than the money, and he's more than content to just enjoy poker at said level instead of pushing himself financially and mentally.

Again, who knows. Would love to see them come into the thread and give their own reasons though, or their plans for poker in the future.
  • edited May 2013
    The only reg player i can think of who plays 50nl and nothing else is a guy whose alias begins with L ?

If so he is a solid tight agg player who like the OP says does very well at 50nl and i think used to play higher but now stays only on that level.

Guess he thinks if its not broke dont try fixing it

Works for him anyways :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: cash level:
    The only reg player i can think of who plays 50nl and nothing else is a guy whose alias begins with L ? If so he is a solid tight agg player who like the OP says does very well at 50nl and i think used to play higher but now stays only on that level. Guess he thinks if its not broke dont try fixing it Works for him anyways :)
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    not me then!!!

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: cash level : not me then!!! (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Not yet Dev mate but one day no doubt :)
  • edited May 2013
    yeh i can kinda understand someone who plays NL50 lots of tablles becuse you can make some decent money and the jump to 100nl is quite big change in standard and even though he could beat it he may still not make as much money as from NL50. I know scotty77 played NL50 for ages before moving up.

On another note i know a guy who plays NL10 and crushes it, and i mean crushes always seems to have doubled up minimum when i look. Strange thing is he ALWAYS plays 4 x NL10 NEVER any tornys, sit and go or any other level of cah. Now i cant understand why he doesnt move up lol 
  • edited May 2013
    yeh i can kinda understand someone who plays NL50 lots of tablles becuse you can make some decent money and the jump to 100nl is quite big change in standard and even though he could beat it he may still not make as much money as from NL50. I know scotty77 played NL50 for ages before moving up.

On another note i know a guy who plays NL10 and crushes it, and i mean crushes always seems to have doubled up minimum when i look. Strange thing is he ALWAYS plays 4 x NL10 NEVER any tornys, sit and go or any other level of cash. Now i cant understand why he doesnt move up lol 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to cash level : Who you got in mind? :P If anything, it's a compliment, and just speculation anyway (even though airing on the side of caution and keeping it anon is always a solid move). I'm currently sticking to just playing everything that runs on Sky, from 100nl thru 500nl, just to build my roll and take a variance free increase month on month. The next jump up from here is 1kNL on other sites, or trips to DTD for some deep Live Cash, and idm giving up a little value to take a low variance route and bank consistant wins til the BR gets really big. But back to your 'crusher': Maybe the player in question uses his Cash grind to freeroll tournaments, and only moves up when he binks something so he stays versatile? Maybe he's a semi-pro who only looks to poker as a hobby and for some spending money on the side? Maybe he's risk averse, or can't detach himself from the money or variance, and wants to practice more at dealing with swings at comfortable limits? There are so many reasons as to why someone doesn't move up in limits, and it's practically impossible to know without knowing more about the guy himself. Heck, maybe he's just a massive degenerate who bombs his winnings away in the pit games? Who knows!! If I were to take a stab at it though? I'd guess he's just comfortable playing at his limit and consistantly booking W's. It's easy to get into a routine at a certain stake, and it can be really difficult to get out of your comfort level if that's all you've been used to for a while (even for a veteran/pro). It's quite possible he's using it as a form of income, and moving up could jeopardise his otherwise extremely good and predictably solid winrate. The challenge may not be worth much to him, more so than the money, and he's more than content to just enjoy poker at said level instead of pushing himself financially and mentally. Again, who knows. Would love to see them come into the thread and give their own reasons though, or their plans for poker in the future.
    Posted by Smitalos

im not name dropping but i would say you know who i mean, he dosent play tournaments, hes constantly just on nl50, i doubt he even sleeps and has a microwave and and a bucket by the side of his computer. i would think he dosent move up because of like you say he could jeporadise hes good and predictable win rate. 
    i have faith in him though make the move up, haha

• edited May 2013
    In Response to cash level : Who you got in mind? :P If anything, it's a compliment, and just speculation anyway (even though airing on the side of caution and keeping it anon is always a solid move). I'm currently sticking to just playing everything that runs on Sky, from 100nl thru 500nl, just to build my roll and take a variance free increase month on month. The next jump up from here is 1kNL on other sites, or trips to DTD for some deep Live Cash, and idm giving up a little value to take a low variance route and bank consistant wins til the BR gets really big. But back to your 'crusher': Maybe the player in question uses his Cash grind to freeroll tournaments, and only moves up when he binks something so he stays versatile? Maybe he's a semi-pro who only looks to poker as a hobby and for some spending money on the side? Maybe he's risk averse, or can't detach himself from the money or variance, and wants to practice more at dealing with swings at comfortable limits? There are so many reasons as to why someone doesn't move up in limits, and it's practically impossible to know without knowing more about the guy himself. Heck, maybe he's just a massive degenerate who bombs his winnings away in the pit games? Who knows!! If I were to take a stab at it though? I'd guess he's just comfortable playing at his limit and consistantly booking W's. It's easy to get into a routine at a certain stake, and it can be really difficult to get out of your comfort level if that's all you've been used to for a while (even for a veteran/pro). It's quite possible he's using it as a form of income, and moving up could jeopardise his otherwise extremely good and predictably solid winrate. The challenge may not be worth much to him, more so than the money, and he's more than content to just enjoy poker at said level instead of pushing himself financially and mentally. Again, who knows. Would love to see them come into the thread and give their own reasons though, or their plans for poker in the future.
    Posted by Smitalos
    This sums me up to a tee.
  • edited May 2013
    Your preception of how good someone is and how much they make is not always reality. Just because someone has 5 buyins on one table does not mean theyre ahead for the day. Just because someone crushes nl50 does not mean they will crush 100nl. Im not sure on player pools but im guessing 100nl is the lowest some of the good regs go so it might be worth it in his mind just to avoid that stress and play nl50 with a decent winrate.
  • edited May 2013
    He is probably playing for fun, gangster rapping pays well dont ya know
  • edited May 2013
    oh is that who were talking about? It makes sense now. Last time i played him he acted like a baby.
  • edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
    He is probably playing for fun, gangster rapping pays well dont ya know
    Posted by calcalfold
    What a Ludacris statement.

;)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: cash level : What a Ludacris statement. ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    crushes? really?
  • edited May 2013
    im only presuming he crushes, maybe he dosent, this wasnt a post dedicated to him anyway, was just using him as an example. i was just wondering why some people chose not to move up when they obviously beat there level and have done for some time!!!
  • edited May 2013
    yea not takin anythin away from anyone but for someone that doent wanna play when u sit with them  them, ivery much doubt they crush the game...

• edited May 2013
    yea not takin anythin away from anyone but for someone that doent wanna play when u sit with them  them, ivery much doubt they crush the game...
    Posted by LnarinOO

Bumhunters crush as a general rule.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: cash level : Bumhunters crush as a general rule.
    Posted by calcalfold
    This isn't a comment specifically about Ludacris, I don't really have much of an idea about how he plays but crush depends doesn't it.

I could crush 500NL if the only people I played were like 4NL standard.
  • edited May 2013
    this thread wasnt started so people could take digs at a player that i never even mentioned by name although most no the guy i was on about anyway.  just  used him as a n example because after playing him alot and him allways doing well and i no he has for as long as i can remember it got me thinking why some people dont move up and are just happy doing there thing.
  • edited May 2013

I play almost solely 50nl and would be considered comfortably rolled for higher levels but there are several reasons for not moving up.

1) its a big flipping jump.  I know this sounds stupid but it's literally double the stakes at 100nl and I really don't like the thought of losing ~5 buy ins at that level.

2) I'm happy with the job I have and want to (as sad as it sounds) move up the career ladder so therefore have absolutely zero interest in becoming a pro poker player

3) I have less chance of winning at the higher stakes...100nl and above are much tougher to win at (imo) and the majority of regs there are better than me. 

4) It would take a lot of effort to improve my game enough to be a solid winner and i simply don't have the time needed to make those improvements.  I have less than 500 c4ps this month due to being busy with work.

5) It's just a hobby for me... and that is something I am genuinely pleased to say.  After reading the thread about becoming a poker pro in the poker clinic I am incredibly grateful that poker was never a career prospect for me when I was 18 as I was potentially lazy enough to do something as dumb as that but now at 28 I know I would be regretting that decision.

Just my 2 cents but potentially there are other people in similar situations

• edited May 2013
    my name dont begin with L thanks for the kind words tho :)
  • edited May 2013
    I play almost solely 50nl and would be considered comfortably rolled for higher levels but there are several reasons for not moving up. 1) its a big flipping jump.  I know this sounds stupid but it's literally double the stakes at 100nl and I really don't like the thought of losing ~5 buy ins at that level. 2) I'm happy with the job I have and want to (as sad as it sounds) move up the career ladder so therefore have absolutely zero interest in becoming a pro poker player 3) I have less chance of winning at the higher stakes...100nl and above are much tougher to win at (imo) and the majority of regs there are better than me.  4) It would take a lot of effort to improve my game enough to be a solid winner and i simply don't have the time needed to make those improvements.  I have less than 500 c4ps this month due to being busy with work. 5) It's just a hobby for me... and that is something I am genuinely pleased to say.  After reading the thread about becoming a poker pro in the poker clinic I am incredibly grateful that poker was never a career prospect for me when I was 18 as I was potentially lazy enough to do something as dumb as that but now at 28 I know I would be regretting that decision. Just my 2 cents but potentially there are other people in similar situations
    Posted by huuuuume
    i can respect that, thanks for a reply on the topic in hand.
  • edited May 2013
    my name dont begin with L thanks for the kind words tho :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    haha, ur welcome
  • edited May 2013
    I should have kept my mouth shut, have ran awful all day.
  • edited May 2013
    I've always found that the higher stakes you play the easier it gets.

This is because people respect your raises more.
  • edited May 2013
    I've always found that the higher stakes you play the easier it gets.
    This is because people respect your raises.
    Posted by Simmy4k
    +1
  • edited May 2013
    yeh i can kinda understand someone who plays NL50 lots of tablles becuse you can make some decent money and the jump to 100nl is quite big change in standard and even though he could beat it he may still not make as much money as from NL50. I know scotty77 played NL50 for ages before moving up. On another note i know a guy who plays NL10 and crushes it, and i mean crushes always seems to have doubled up minimum when i look. Strange thing is he ALWAYS plays 4 x NL10 NEVER any tornys, sit and go or any other level of cash. Now i cant understand why he doesnt move up lol 
    Posted by sighcall

begins with C ? if so yeh he could prob same reason huuume said about difference in stake at risk. 
    to the outside a side up from 10 to 20 is small but it all about comfort zone. and lost buyins is very tilting for me anyway. 
  • edited May 2013
    I've always found that the higher stakes you play the easier it gets. This is because people respect your raises more.
    Posted by Simmy4k
    lol they respect your money more to.. haha 

i actually laughed abit to loud on this one.. alitte bit of wee came out hahah
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: cash level : lol they respect your money more to.. haha  i actually laughed abit to loud on this one.. alitte bit of wee came out hahah
    Posted by LnarinOO
     +1