You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

b/r mess

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
as most of you no im constantly moaning about poker.  I never improve and basically im rubbish lol today i sat down at 10 30 pm determined to win.  I lost a stack on a 7 6 5 3 Q board with 77. a stack when i 5 bet into AA with AK, and then quit thinking its pointless playing now cause i wasnt good enough to start with and now im 2 byins down in 20 mins lol trying not to be negative i went back with only 2 tablles when somone kept shoving £15 all in near enough every hand.  I got fed up called with kj and was onvinced id be paided back for nevefr getting no rewards, he had 55 perfect double up,,, not it was over by the turn. so thats 3 byins

now my balance is £310, , £90 down on my initial deposit.  I wanted to quit about a month ago because im awful and i spend alot of time on my game which makes it worse im awful which then makes me very unhappy when i lose.  Would do you do with your br if ur me? shall i just withdraw it and get my account closed on sky, im so fed up its unreal. 

This isnt a rant, im not unlucky and i dont run bad im just not very good, hence why i think it will be impossiable to gain back £90.  Suggetions anyone?

Comments

• edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
    Simple

Cut your losses.
    You don't enjoy your hobby and it costs you money.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, if you're not enjoying it there's not much point. But I like IDCU's idea. If it's the loss of the buy-ins that's getting on your wick just play £1 or £2 deepstack MTTs, loads of poker for your money and when you FT the return gives you a good feeling.
  • edited May 2013
    Have you worked your way up at cash or did you start out at 20nl? i would reccomend moving down to 10nl and building up to 500 to get some confidence back then you can gradually ad a table of 20nl untill you build up more profit then move back up permenantly, post loads of hands in the clinic spend loads of time watching vids /reading up on cash strategy.
  • edited May 2013
    you cant beat cash games and you have done ok in mtts, theres your answer staring you in the face, dont be stubborn, i watch videos on cash games on deuces cracked all the time but im still a losing player in that format, no shame in playing what your best at it and at the moment cash just maybe isnt for you!! gl what ever you decide.
  • edited May 2013
    As above ^^^ play to your strengths.

Or if you really wanna get good at cash, start getting a ton of practice in at the bottom. You could have had them exact same 3 hands at 4NL tonight but said, I lost £12 through flips/coolers/bad beats (w/e), so what, I'll come back tomorrow. But when you're losing £90 out of £400 it's painful.

I know some say the money doesn't mean much at the low levels, but sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes it's a good thing, that you can get it in JJ against KT and you don't even care what the result is, you know you did the right thing and that's the end of it. You can't always disconnect yourself like that when the amount at stake means alot to you.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah I think ill cut my losses, i get so down when I lose and I lose often it's not enjoyable. Benc Iv done that and my play doesn't improve. No started at 50nl I won, then lost then played here on 20nl. But my play is bad how can I win back that amount?

Mtts are time consuming, low money apart from top places and boring 
  • edited May 2013
    i watch cash games all the time on you tube etc doesnt make me better at cash then mtts im a much better mtt player and i prefer mtts to cash so win win :)

your better at mtts then cash so do the same stick to what ya good at dunno why u dnt like mtts and ya good at em 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to b/r mess:
    as most of you no im constantly moaning about poker.  I never improve and basically im rubbish lol today i sat down at 10 30 pm determined to win.  I lost a stack on a 7 6 5 3 Q board with 77. a stack when i 5 bet into AA with AK, and then quit thinking its pointless playing now cause i wasnt good enough to start with and now im 2 byins down in 20 mins lol trying not to be negative i went back with only 2 tablles when somone kept shoving £15 all in near enough every hand. i  got fed up called with kj and was onvinced id be paided back for nevefr getting no rewards, he had 55 perfect double up,,, not it was over by the turn. so thats 3 byins now my balance is £310, , £90 down on my initial deposit.  I wanted to quit about a month ago because im awful and i spend alot of time on my game which makes it worse im awful which then makes me very unhappy when i lose.  Would do you do with your br if ur me? shall i just withdraw it and get my account closed on sky, im so fed up its unreal.  This isnt a rant, im not unlucky and i dont run bad im just not very good, hence why i think it will be impossiable to gain back £90.  Suggetions anyone?
    Posted by robbie1992
    fix this leak things will improove
  • edited May 2013
    Hey Robbie,

Like someone said if your not enjoying it, then stop playing.

But from your posts you do want to play, you are just sick of losing. If you end up going on to chase losses, the losses will just mount up.

Benc made a really good point, go down to 10nl, and beat that level before you move back up 2 20nl.

Look at your hand history after a session. Look at the biggest winning/ losing hands and any good points of negatives. Most importantly be patient.

If you decide to keep playing at 20nl, do you suddenly think the wins will start mounting up?

At the end of the day, do what is right for you, if you want to keep playing 20nl do that, but be prepared to accept the lossess as well as wins.

Good luck to ya!
  • edited May 2013
    Well if you can't afford to lose the money you have deposited don't play with it. Play the game to enjoy it, if you enjoy cash go and play 4nl- if you are playing the game to make money then you need to get your head down and work really hard on your game, in the long term 3.5 bi in one session isn't really anything i have had -5bi,-4.7,-3.8,-3. +8, +5, +4.3, +2.3 and many more just this week, it hurt losing 5bi but not as much as it would of if i wasn't rolled properly playing higher than i should be, you have 40 bis for 10nl thats plenty drop down review every session, post significant hands, winning and losing in the clinic after your session and eventually with some work you will get there. Everyone has bad spells, it's how you deal with them and learn from then to become a better player- although if you don't enjoy the game i do agree just give up and find a more enjoyable hobby.
  • edited May 2013
    confidence (or a lack of it) can be a crucial aspect in poker. Get that winning feeling back, be it small mtts, 4nl or some DYMs. I bubbled the roller super sat yesterday despite entering the final table 2nd in chips and 5 seats up for grabs. I then played stupid on some 4nl tables out of frustration but came to my senses before donating too much money to other player. Moral of the story; play when feeling good, fresh and content and not when fed up or frustrated. All the best.
  • edited May 2013
    I just care to much, it makes me unhappy when I don't improve. Iv tried harder then anything in my life to be good at this , it's not about the money , obv it does matter I'm not a millionaire but it's more about the trying hard to get better at somthing I wanna be good at. The mtts I play will have to be poor ones with my br tho, maybe ill just go 10 nl :( mistakes are mistakes tho they will still happen there
  • edited May 2013
    You seem determined to get better at the game which is a good thing, you will eventually cut out the mistakes by taking the advice above and getting really solid feedback from people like borinloner, lambert, rancid etc in the clinic.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah I should of quit after losing 2 bi's, just feel like my br is messed up now. Yeh I always post hands and take there advice but I just don't have the same thoughts in the hand that they have, I don't no how to change this I'm running out of ideas
  • edited May 2013
    Robbie think your thinking about it to much, ive lost 6 flips tonight and had the best pre 4 times, but i keep inside
    my bank roll. And with a bit of luck will win the flips in the near future. You're better off than a lot of people in
    the world, just think of that and everythings not so bad, IT'S ONLY POKER. Enjoy.
  • edited May 2013
    rome wasnt built in a day
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to b/r mess:
    as most of you no im constantly moaning about poker.  I never improve and basically im rubbish lol today i sat down at 10 30 pm determined to win.  I lost a stack on a 7 6 5 3 Q board with 77. a stack when i 5 bet into AA with AK, and then quit thinking its pointless playing now cause i wasnt good enough to start with and now im 2 byins down in 20 mins lol trying not to be negative i went back with only 2 tablles when somone kept shoving £15 all in near enough every hand.  I got fed up called with kj and was onvinced id be paided back for nevefr getting no rewards, he had 55 perfect double up,,, not it was over by the turn. so thats 3 byins now my balance is £310, , £90 down on my initial deposit.  I wanted to quit about a month ago because im awful and i spend alot of time on my game which makes it worse im awful which then makes me very unhappy when i lose.  Would do you do with your br if ur me? shall i just withdraw it and get my account closed on sky, im so fed up its unreal.  This isnt a rant, im not unlucky and i dont run bad im just not very good, hence why i think it will be impossiable to gain back £90.  Suggetions anyone?
    Posted by robbie1992

Give up poker and concentrate on moaning!
    You've obviously got a talent for it! lol

But seriously, try and qualify for an SPT pretty sure you'd enjoy it and you'd learn from the experience!

• edited May 2013
    Yeah it's not the money on anything just the fact I think I'm going backwards, maybe I need to play more and just put the hands in. Hmmm not even sure.

I no can I teach  people how to moan and they teach me how to win? Haha I don't even mean to rant I'm just determined and frustrated lol yeah I will try qualify they sound like alot of fun
  • edited May 2013
    Hi mate I` m new to online poker not new to cards  (56 years old brag draw stud go tooled up 70s 80s car round the corner lol) you seem to play everyone's game but your own, the guys and girls  advice is sound watching videos sound but at the end of the day it`your way of playing that counts what advice you get on the forum is  from the hands that you have provided it`s  how these guys(girls) would have played them,your opponents will read these forums and note your lack of confidence in your ability and will take full advantage except advice but play your on game
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: b/r mess:
    Robbie think your thinking about it to much, ive lost 6 flips tonight and had the best pre 4 times, but i keep inside my bank roll. And with a bit of luck will win the flips in the near future. You're better off than a lot of people in the world, just think of that and everythings not so bad, IT'S ONLY POKER. Enjoy.
    Posted by tomo_efc
    yeah very true it is only poker there is a lot of people worse off, think im too emotional for the game, i cant keep stable confidence and emotion i wanna win all the time and in poker thats impossiable its a long term game, just not that confident im doing correct moves in the long term.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi mate I` m new to online poker not new to cards  (56 years old brag draw stud go tooled up 70s 80s car round the corner lol) you seem to play everyone's game but your own, the guys and girls  advice is sound watching videos sound but at the end of the day it`your way of playing that counts what advice you get on the forum is  from the hands that you have provided it`s  how these guys(girls) would have played them,your opponents will read these forums and note your lack of confidence in your ability and will take full advantage except advice but play your on game
    Posted by tut_tut
    wow 56 years and your not sick of it yet haha, i no but how can you ever go forward with your game if your not hearing more skilled players opinions.  I post hands for 2 reasons, one because i hate showing how bad i played hands so its a sort of encouragment not to mke mistakes and two because if i post enough hopefully when im playing it will be better players advice im thinking off.
  • edited May 2013
    I would not call a £90 loss from a £400 roll a mess at all! It's pretty standard for a recreational player. 
    You still have plenty to play with! As others have said, get back to basics and play what you are good at! And enjoy your poker!

• edited May 2013
    hi Robbie,

being able to deal with losing sessions is all part of playing poker mate,and you need to accept that.
    if losing £90 from a b/roll of £400 is a problem for you,then you deffo need to drop levels.
    you say that you think winning the £90 will be impossible,why?

I think you should look at the big picture more.how are you doing overall since you first began?
    i'm assuming that you are in profit.
    I think your b/roll management is terrible and always has been,if i'm being totally honest,and this is where your problem lies,imo.
    losing a few buy-ins shouldn't make you feel like giving up
    with a b/roll of now £310 that's just about enough for nl10 nothing higher.
    yes,you could play higher obviously but i'll be reading another post just like this one again in another week or so.

you also need to decide where your heart lies,and play the game you enjoy the most.
    if cash really is making you unhappy at the moment why not try something else,even if it's just temporary.
    I felt unhappy playing cash a while ago,mainly because I was useless at it though and kept on losing,so I ended up playing dym's for a whole year.  lol

gl Robbie,
    :)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    sounds like varaince, tilt and bad play all rolled together
    if you can't taking beats then poker is not for
    you can't expect to win all the time
    get you money in good - that's all you can do
    the quicker you realise that the better instead of calling off with KJ
    your problems are in your head

play nl10 for a bit and regain some confidence and play better without being a tilt monkey

• edited May 2013
    If you.

a) dont enjoy it
    b) dont win

Then Quit!

Mabye you could just deposit 50 now and then play NL50 cash if u win u win and withdraw and enjoy it if u lose then u lost but enjoyed yrself?

• edited May 2013
    If you're not winning then that alone is not a reason to quit, as most of us are losing players, but if you're not enjoying it then definitely quit!

• edited May 2013
    I would not call a £90 loss from a £400 roll a mess at all! It's pretty standard for a recreational player.  You still have plenty to play with! As others have said, get back to basics and play what you are good at! And enjoy your poker!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    in fact, most of the time it's a win! (in all but cash earned)

i see a bit of the former don in you - has potential - will engage in hand discussions - but allows his bad times to overwhelm his good.

the don took a break but is now back with a vengeance

you need to find your cure for the emotional beats - could be a break - learning more - changing your game - giving up, whatever. you have potential but you need to find the way to make it work for you.
  • edited May 2013
    hi Robbie, being able to deal with losing sessions is all part of playing poker mate,and you need to accept that. if losing £90 from a b/roll of £400 is a problem for you,then you deffo need to drop levels. you say that you think winning the £90 will be impossible,why? I think you should look at the big picture more.how are you doing overall since you first began? i'm assuming that you are in profit. I think your b/roll management is terrible and always has been,if i'm being totally honest,and this is where your problem lies,imo. losing a few buy-ins shouldn't make you feel like giving up with a b/roll of now £310 that's just about enough for nl10 nothing higher. yes,you could play higher obviously but i'll be reading another post just like this one again in another week or so. you also need to decide where your heart lies,and play the game you enjoy the most. if cash really is making you unhappy at the moment why not try something else,even if it's just temporary. I felt unhappy playing cash a while ago,mainly because I was useless at it though and kept on losing,so I ended up playing dym's for a whole year.  lol gl Robbie, :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Fully agree, i used to  play with 10 byins at 50 nl get profit then withdraw , go on another site and do the same but dunno i want a proper br, its an achievement that some of you guys have built a b/r by being constitant week in week out, thats what i would like to do.  Ha i thought of you having a bad spelll with cash games last night and going back to sngs, maybe its just not for some people.  Think today im gonna relax, play 10 nl maybe just 2 tables and think properly about decisions.
  • edited May 2013
    sounds like varaince, tilt and bad play all rolled together if you can't taking beats then poker is not for you can't expect to win all the time get you money in good - that's all you can do the quicker you realise that the better instead of calling off with KJ your problems are in your head play nl10 for a bit and regain some confidence and play better without being a tilt monkey
    Posted by rancid
    yeah its just i dont know if long term i will always get my money in good, just seem to think the wrong things, i dont get it i spend alot of time off the table on poker so its strange.  Well done on winning back to back tourneys btw, thats some achievement very tough to do!