You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

VLV update

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Would be nice to know what these barriers that have prevented us playing this year have been
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update:
    Would be nice to know what these barriers that have prevented us playing this year have been
    Posted by FCHD
    my guess now is time. We're about to go into June which means by the time they do sats, the winner gets a visa its then past playing time 
  • edited May 2013
    Must be difficult booking a flight and hotel, A very sad day for skypoker.Means you have to play on another site to Sat in.
  • edited May 2013
    I think to just put a closed post up saying no package without any reasons behind it is not a way to deal with this.

First off they say logistics what paying entry fee and flights????????

So that will then lead to usual rumors from, are the site in trouble to or the site that incompetant that they cant book a package that every other site on the net will be offering.

Alternatively have sky had trouble with regulators so they cant book a package- because if you just say no package without reasons you are letting people think there must be major issues, if not be upfront with your customers so we know our money is safe on sky and why so soon after a reduction in the cash 4 Points payout now no Vegas!

This is not the way to respect your customers by just saying logistics as that excuse sound like my dog ate my homework!
  • edited May 2013
    I am at a total loss as to why there are logistical issues.Its been done in previous years and you've had a whole year to organise this one.Please just be honest with your customers ,you had us hanging on all year then NO were not doing It this year. What message is this sending.
  • edited May 2013
    they'll probally find a way to take 'team sky poker' tho ?!
  • edited May 2013

there could be a whole lot of legal issues thats stopping sky from running the vlv this year and its not just a case of booking flights and hotels.

im pretty sure the WSOP and all its trademark and naming rights are all held by a parent company, maybe the parent company has changed their terms with regard another poker room promoting its brand and vice versa thus stopping SKY from being able to use the name.

maybe there is a lot of new US law around online and live poker since this time last year thats maybe not made the news but is going on behind the scenes.

maybe what ive wrote is utter BS but just a different perspective

• edited May 2013
    No honesty aloud but this thread will be closed watch this space
  • edited May 2013
    It is a Valid point Tintin but why would ever other site on the net be running packages if that was the case and even if it was would you as Sky not want to tell your customers that
  • edited May 2013

Good afternoon.

I've just got Online, having been otherwise engaged offline this morning.

I'm quite happy to address this issue, such as I'm able, & will do so soonest, hopefully this afternoon.

This thread will NOT be closed, as suggested in one Post, unless it becomes non-compliant.

Bear with me please, whilst I clear my overnight e-Mails & messages etc, & I'll then reply properly.

Thanks.  
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks Tikay thats all we want just a honest answer of what went wrong as the majority of people will be able to accept something if were not fob off with "logistic problems"
  • edited May 2013
    Looking forward to a good reply Tikay. 

Also can you explain why the origional thread was snap closed, thus no genuine discussion could be created on that?
  • edited May 2013
    It is a Valid point Tintin but why would ever other site on the net be running packages if that was the case and even if it was would you as Sky not want to tell your customers that
    Posted by MRBURNS4
    im just trying to put alternatives thoughts out there. it could be a money thing. the license to use the name might have increased,other sites are willing to pay the increase but SKY might not think it fits in with their budget plan for the numbers it is likely to generate. who knows. just alternative thinking
  • edited May 2013
    Think this was expected by most as the satelites and the advertising for them normaly start months ago and peeps who are going can get start making their plans.

I was just wondering why there was such a hold up/delay with this announcement ?
  • edited May 2013
    gotta say, sad news - think it was a bit special going with Tikay and the TV coverage and all that.

Not many others can do the whole package like Sky can, think Sky has missed out on this one.
  • edited May 2013
    I assume it just doesnt make good business sense as theres external costs sky have to put up outiwth the prizepools and also the chance of tourneys not hitting guarantees.
  • edited May 2013
    Anyone fancy going anyway?  My mates just dropped out but I'm up for it. 
  • edited May 2013
    Anyone fancy going anyway?  My mates just dropped out but I'm up for it. 
    Posted by Donttelmum
    I will go DTM as soon as I take down spt brimingham 
  • edited May 2013
    OK, let's do this.

I'll start by reiterating the reasons, & what the current position is as to Sky Poker & WSOP 2013.
     Some of these reasons are Business matters, & as such confidential, so I won't be spelling it out precisely, but you should be able to get the gist of it.

When I've done that, I'll reply to the specific questions in the thread.

All that may take me a while, so it would be really appreciated if you could please be patient with me, & let me complete my replies, before posting further questions, otherwise we'll be going round in circles.

Thanks.
  • edited May 2013

Firstly, the Business really wanted to do VLV again this year.

It is a good brand for the Business, raises our profile, generates a lot of traffic & interest via Satellites, & creates enormous Community interest & fun. It is also a bit special to be able to take a little Team to Vegas each year to live the dream.

So they really wanted to do it, & did everything possible to get it sorted.

The complications had nothing whatsoever to do with booking flights or hotels, that is easy.

The problem this year arose specifically around the fully-compliant transmission of the cash to the cage at The Rio.

The two parties - SB&G (Sky Betting & Gaming), & CE (Caesars Entertainment, who own The WSOP brand & The Rio), had conflicting arrangements as to payment for services, & it was not possible to resolve these in time. It was most certainly not for want of trying.

These days due to Online Gaming matters in the USA, of which you will be aware, it is really quite complex for European facing businesses to arrange transfers of large sums of cash to Corporations based in Las Vegas in a legally compliant manner.

All this was around the turn of the year, & early 2013. Eventually, as I have reported on this Community twice previously, the problem landed on my desk to sort.

Did I want to sort it? You bet!

For me, VLV is almost the highlight of my year, I absolutely love it to bits. I rail all the VLV Finals on Sky Poker, run the VLV Thread, speak with the VLV winners on the Monday morning, write to them with Updates, meet them all at the Airport, look after them, & generally act as water carrier & bottle washer. Then I do the Blogs & Live Updates, & interacting with everyone at home, from Vegas, is as much fun as it gets.

And so, once the problem dropped on my desk, I tried my best to resolve it, if for no other reason that I really wanted us to do VLV this year. That, I hope, is obvious.

My best efforts failed, we could not resolve the problems, and all of us were very sad about that.

I shall be in Vegas myself (more of which later) & whilst there I've been tasked with meeting the CE Execs face to face & resolving the payment transmission issues, so that Sky Poker can resume VLV in 2014. I am not one who intentionally makes promises I can't keep, but I'm very confident indeed that I can get it sorted, & that VLV will resume, with all the attendant fun, in 2014.

So there it is. We tried, it was then passed to me, & I tried, but it proved impossible eventually, which is a real shame. It was in the interest of the Business, & myself, to sort it, I hope you can see that.
  • edited May 2013

The present position, as referenced in the official statement at the top of this board, is that Sky Poker are still trying to at least do something Community & Site-based for this year’s WSOP. Whether it will happen or not, remains to be seen.

I know the rough outline of the plans, but not the fine detail, & I’d rather leave it at that for the moment, until the position becomes clearer. We very much hope it happens, & it has already been cleared by the Legal advisors. Now the nuts & bolts need finalising. We hope this can be announced very shortly. 

Completely separate to that, there are some plans which have been finalised, these were agreed a few weeks ago, in early May. Sky Poker will be sending a cameraman, & myself, to Las Vegas for the duration of the Main Event.

We’ll be specifically following the Main Event, & concentrating on the “big names”, as well as Brits, and of course on any Sky Poker players who are in Vegas to play the Main Event. I know of at least 6 Sky Poker regular players who will be doing so.

We’ll get numerous filmed interviews, available in almost real time here in the UK, these will be every day, & hopefully plenty of them. Dan the Producer arrives a few days before the Main Event commences, & we’ll shoot some footage in & around Vegas, then base ourselves at The Rio for the Main Event, from Day 1a, until just after the Cash Bubble bursts. 

Personal footnote - I shall be heading out there in mid-June to play some poker for a few weeks before Dan arrives & “work” starts, I’ve barely played Live in the last 12 months, so I’m going to play a mixture of Events around Town. 

This is not a business trip, but I’ll try & do Daily Blogs from the day I arrive, as I do every year, & I’ll do phone-ins to the Show. 

Completely unrelated to Sky Poker, but it is possible I may play the Main Event, too, as a bunch of friends elsewhere have voluntarily offered to stake me. I never asked them, it just sort of got suggested by someone, & that set the ball rolling. That is currently in the balance, I have my fingers crossed, it is a 50/50 shot really, depending on various details. Nothing to do with the matter in hand really, but I wanted to mention it for the sake of completeness. 

Next up, I’ll reply to the specific questions on this thread.      
  • edited May 2013
    Must be difficult booking a flight and hotel, A very sad day for skypoker.Means you have to play on another site to Sat in.
    Posted by REDARROW61
    Yes, it is unfortunate, but it had nothing to do with booking flights & hotels, as I have explained.
  • edited May 2013
    I think to just put a closed post up saying no package without any reasons behind it is not a way to deal with this. First off they say logistics what paying entry fee and flights???????? So that will then lead to usual rumors from, are the site in trouble to or the site that incompetant that they cant book a package that every other site on the net will be offering. Alternatively have sky had trouble with regulators so they cant book a package- because if you just say no package without reasons you are letting people think there must be major issues, if not be upfront with your customers so we know our money is safe on sky and why so soon after a reduction in the cash 4 Points payout now no Vegas! This is not the way to respect your customers by just saying logistics as that excuse sound like my dog ate my homework!
    Posted by MRBURNS4
    I hope my replies have helped explain the position.

I was not around this morning, if I had have been, I like to think I would have explained it immediately, & as openly as I'm able.

• edited May 2013
    I am at a total loss as to why there are logistical issues.Its been done in previous years and you've had a whole year to organise this one.Please just be honest with your customers ,you had us hanging on all year then NO were not doing It this year. What message is this sending.
    Posted by REDARROW61
    My replies have been 100% honest.
  • edited May 2013
    Looking forward to a good reply Tikay.  Also can you explain why the origional thread was snap closed, thus no genuine discussion could be created on that?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don.

No, not really.

I have my own, personal views on how best to communicate with Clients, & how a Community best works, but they sometimes conflict with how the Business thinks & works. I'm certainly not suggesting they are wrong, but we just see things from different angles. 

There are always good reasons though. In truth, I don't know what they are, & I've no reason to ask.  

When I got Online & saw both threads, I contacted the Office in Leeds & asked permission to reply to it, which was readily granted. So I did.  

• edited May 2013
    In Response to post:
    Think this was expected by most as the satelites and the advertising for them normaly start months ago and peeps who are going can get start making their plans. I was just wondering why there was such a hold up/delay with this announcement ?
    Posted by MP33
    We were always hoping we could resolve the issue, but we eventually ran out of time.

There have been numerous commuunity threads about VLV, & I think I replied, or commented, on the majority of them.

• edited May 2013
    gotta say, sad news - think it was a bit special going with Tikay and the TV coverage and all that. Not many others can do the whole package like Sky can, think Sky has missed out on this one.
    Posted by rancid
    I think the way Sky Poker ran VLV, especially as to how we looked after everyone, met them at the Airport, had a welcome dinner, & generally were there for them throughout, was better than any other site that I have seen. Last year Thewy was with them all the time, what could be better than that? So yes, a shame.

Fingers crossed, if we can resolve the problems, VLV will resume next year, & there may yet be something this year, too.  

• edited May 2013
    they'll probally find a way to take 'team sky poker' tho ?!
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Not sure what that means, can you clarify, please?

The position is exactly as I have explained it, & there are no plans for any form of "Team Sky Poker" to be present.

Plans for the next Team Sky Poker adventure are currently well advanced, it will be similar, with variations, to the one we ran recently.
  • edited May 2013
    No honesty aloud but this thread will be closed watch this space
    Posted by CHILLIE
    I raise.

;)

As long as it remains compliant, the Thread will remain open. If it gets out of hand as to abuse & flaming, it will be up to the Mods to deal with it as they see fit.

Hopefully, we can all keep it civil, & if so, it will remain open.
  • edited May 2013
    I assume it just doesnt make good business sense as theres external costs sky have to put up outiwth the prizepools and also the chance of tourneys not hitting guarantees.
    Posted by offshoot
    No, there were no concerns on those issues.

PS - Well done on Sunday, &, to a lesser degree, last night!