You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

VLV update

2»

Comments

• edited May 2013

Think I've answered most questions, as best as I am able.

I don't want to go round & round, but if there are further genuine questions which have not been addressed so far, I'll deal with them tomorrow, as I'm hoping for a quiet night at home this evening.

Thanks.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update:
    The present position, as referenced in the official statement at the top of this board, is that Sky Poker are still trying to at least do something Community & Site-based for this year’s WSOP. Whether it will happen or not, remains to be seen. I know the rough outline of the plans, but not the fine detail, & I’d rather leave it at that for the moment, until the position becomes clearer. We very much hope it happens, & it has already been cleared by the Legal advisors. Now the nuts & bolts need finalising. We hope this can be announced very shortly.    Completely separate to that , there are some plans which have been finalised, these were agreed a few weeks ago, in early May.   Sky Poker will be sending a cameraman, & myself, to Las Vegas for the duration of the Main Event. We’ll be specifically following the Main Event, & concentrating on the “big names”, as well as Brits, and of course on any Sky Poker players who are in Vegas to play the Main Event. I know of at least 6 Sky Poker regular players who will be doing so. We’ll get numerous filmed interviews, available in almost real time here in the UK, these will be every day, & hopefully plenty of them. Dan the Producer arrives a few days before the Main Event commences, & we’ll shoot some footage in & around Vegas, then base ourselves at The Rio for the Main Event, from Day 1a, until just after the Cash Bubble bursts.    Personal footnote - I shall be heading out there in mid-June to play some poker for a few weeks before Dan arrives & “work” starts, I’ve barely played Live in the last 12 months, so I’m going to play a mixture of Events around Town.  This is not a business trip, but I’ll try & do Daily Blogs from the day I arrive, as I do every year, & I’ll do phone-ins to the Show.    Completely unrelated to Sky Poker, but it is possible I may play the Main Event, too, as a bunch of friends elsewhere have voluntarily offered to stake me. I never asked them, it just sort of got suggested by someone, & that set the ball rolling. That is currently in the balance, I have my fingers crossed, it is a 50/50 shot really, depending on various details. Nothing to do with the matter in hand really, but I wanted to mention it for the sake of completeness.   Next up, I’ll reply to the specific questions on this thread.          
    Posted by Tikay10

Without a doubt the VLV was the cup final of Sky Poker whether taking part in the Sats or railing the final.
    I stayed up late last year to rail Geldy who almost made it!
    Thank you for your efforts Tikay.
    I know you've tried your best for us!
    Do you think the barriers could be resolved by next year? or has the VLV hit the dust forever?

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : Without a doubt the VLV was the cup final of Sky Poker whether taking part in the Sats or railing the final. I stayed up late last year to rail Geldy who almost made it! Thank you for your efforts Tikay. I know you've tried your best for us! Do you think the barriers could be resolved by next year? or has the VLV hit the dust forever?
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    I am VERY confident indeed that VLV will return in 2014, but nothing in life is certain. Not sure I'll still be here at Sky Poker, given my age & all that, but you never know. Time will tell, which, read literally, is a tad worrying.....;)   
  • edited May 2013
    Could sky have not just advertised a ' Trip To Las Vegas' package (not mentioning WSOP) and just transferred the money to a bank account in the USA and bought people in when the team were over there themselves? 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : I raise. ;) As long as it remains compliant, the Thread will remain open.If it gets out of hand as to abuse & flaming, it will be up to the Mods to deal with it as they see fit.   Hopefully, we can all keep it civil, & if so, it will remain open.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have come out of my forum hibernation to keep an eye on this thread.  I will be doing everything I can to make sure this thread says open.  If this means deleting abusive posts and blocking members who produce such posts, so be it.

This is a very important subject for many of the members of this forum who justifiably have questions.  I also think Tikay deserves a lot of credit for addressing any and all such questions head on.

If this thread stays in the direction it is going, hopefully everyone will come to a satisfying conclusion.
  • edited May 2013
    It's a shame this is not happening but would probably have been out of my roll anyway. On a completely separate note Tikay, do you know how long you will be in Vegas? I am going out at the end of the Summer and it would be cool to bump into some Sky faces.
  • edited May 2013
    it,ll be worth not doing VLV just to see Tikay play the ME
  • edited May 2013

Thanks for the honest and concise answers Tikay.

A couple of Vegas related questions from me.......

1) a) Is the Sky sponsored Pro, Julian Thew, being bought into the main Event either partly or in full by Sky Poker?
        b) Will Sky Poker be investing in yourself when you do finally decide to play the big one?

If either, or both, of these can not be answered, I fully understand.

2) With the opportunity now gone for players to go to Vegas via Sky Poker, can/will they now look into doing some online sats for UK based live bigger tournaments?
  • edited May 2013
    .   The problem this year arose specifically around the fully-compliant transmission of the cash to the cage at The Rio. The two parties - SB&G (Sky Betting & Gaming), & CE (Caesars Entertainment, who own The WSOP brand & The Rio), had conflicting arrangements as to payment for services, & it was not possible to resolve these in time. It was most certainly not for want of trying. These days due to Online Gaming matters in the USA, of which you will be aware, it is really quite complex for European facing businesses to arrange transfers of large sums of cash to Corporations based in Las Vegas in a legally compliant manner. All this was around the turn of the year, & early 2013.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Was a bit gutted as my brother happened to be passing through while i was there but decided not to go a cpl of months back when i realised it wasn,t unlikely to be on - wil save some money tho

Ruddy politics - What you gonna do? as Tony soprano would say. Nothing you can do about it now for this year

For some added interest and looking on a positive note i think yo
    u shoud definately play the ME . You say 50/50. You might not get another chance. And you could fold your  way to day 4

EDIT - An idea for a new tournie - Win a peice of TK for ME
  • edited May 2013
    Could sky have not just advertised a ' Trip To Las Vegas' package (not mentioning WSOP) and just transferred the money to a bank account in the USA and bought people in when the team were over there themselves? 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    I was thinking the exact same thing. .
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by BrownnDog
    This would be fine if it was a bunch of mates organising the trip off their own back, but I would imagine there are rather more hoops to jump through when you're part of a multi-national organisation wanting to take a fully branded team and a camera crew to the worlds largest poker tournament.
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Hi Lewis, (ditto Jonjo).

f that were possible, we would have done so, but it was not. All avenues were explored, please be assured

Incidentally, VLV has NEVER been advertised, not ever, as offering a seat into a WSOP Tournament. That would not have been permitted. Legalities are often down to interpretation of laws & guidelines, & the complication with the WSOP specifically comes under "Sky Poker must not be seen to promote overseas Gaming". Which, if you think about it, is quite a wide, broadbrush, requirement, subject to various interpretations.

Edit: BOOM! Slykllist has answered the question better than my ham-fisted attempt.

All the comments & suggestions are taken in good heart, but please accept we tried everything. Fingers crossed, 2014 it will resume, but in the interim, there are tons of other Sky Poker exclusive Promotions, enhancements, bells & whistles in the pipeline.  

• edited May 2013
    Tikay,thank you very much for your detailed explanation on this issue.I just wish the original post from Sky Poker had outlined some of this. It seems you have had to spend most of the afternoon sorting this.

Aplogies for that.

Im sure you would of rather spent the afternoon reading Great British Branch Lines of the 50s. ;)

Thanks again
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : This would be fine if it was a bunch of mates organising the trip off their own back, but I would imagine there are rather more hoops to jump through when you're part of a multi-national organisation wanting to take a fully branded team and a camera crew to the worlds largest poker tournament.
    Posted by Slykllist
    I can only assume you have experience working with a laerge multi-national organisation!

There is much to be said for working for a small Company, I spent my life running them, & we were nimble of foot & could duck & dive a bit. Very big Companies, not so much, but they have advantages that small independents don't have.

Swings & swongs.  
  • edited May 2013
    Tikay,thank you very much for your detailed explanation on this issue.I just wish the original post from Sky Poker had outlined some of this. It seems you have had to spend most of the afternoon sorting this. Aplogies for that. Im sure you would of rather spent the afternoon reading Great British Branch Lines of the 50s. ;) Thanks again
    Posted by REDARROW61
    You may not believe this, but I think that is a terrific Post, because you seemed a little cross earlier, & I'm very grateful, thank you.

OK, couple more replies, then that book comes out.

Ooohhh....

• edited May 2013
    It's a shame this is not happening but would probably have been out of my roll anyway. On a completely separate note Tikay, do you know how long you will be in Vegas? I am going out at the end of the Summer and it would be cool to bump into some Sky faces.
    Posted by BUFC
    I will be in Vegas from June 14th to July 14th, the first 3 weeks playing various PLO8 Tourneys, including one WSOP PLO8 jobbie, & the last week or 10 days doing stuff with Dan for Channel 861.

I mentioned earlier the possibility that I may play the Main as part of a private arrangement with friends elsewhere, & & sought permission from Ch 861 to do so, if it were to happen, & they agreed readily.

I've never been able to play it all the years I have gone there, & been very happy to be the "Updater & Chef D-Equipe & Water-Carrier" for the VLV Team, so if it happens, it'd be quite something. We shall see.

As far as I am concerned, if you or any other Sky Poker players are in Vegas during that period, you'd be very welcome to run with us, hook up & maybe play some poker together. Several of the lads have already booked for at least part of that period, so fingers crossed, we'll spend some time chilling together in Vegas.    

• edited May 2013
    Thank you Tikay for a full and honest response and I can fully understand where issues are now. Of course its something we will all miss this year but I am sure you guys will come up with something to keep us poker addicts happy even if its just a special event at sky while the wsop is on.

Good luck out there and hope you run well again. If you make the FT maybe a Sky onesie should be created so we get the brand across. Lol Tikay in a onesie sure the community would pay for that to be made for you :)
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Was along the same line of thinking I had. So i'll tweak this slightly...

Why not just advertise purely as a "Trip to Las Vegas" package, with 'spending money'? Book a few hotel rooms a stones throw away from the Rio, and deposit the remaining winnings in the player's account so they can take it out themselves and play whichever events they choose. At the very least, could this not have been done with TSP?

Basically, just run the satellites and promotion as usual, give the player the MTT portion winnnings, then meet-up back out there to slap a few patches on, and boom. Your Uncle is a gentleman named Bob.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the honest and concise answers Tikay. A couple of Vegas related questions from me....... 1) a) Is the Sky sponsored Pro, Julian Thew, being bought into the main Event either partly or in full by Sky Poker?     b) Will Sky Poker be investing in yourself when you do finally decide to play the big one? If either, or both, of these can not be answered, I fully understand. 2) With the opportunity now gone for players to go to Vegas via Sky Poker, can/will they now look into doing some online sats for UK based live bigger tournaments?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    All plans are subject to change & review Alan, because as I noted earlier, there is a Plan C being hatched, but the current position is quite clear.

1a) No. Julian wil be flying home BEFORE the Main Event starts.

1b) I would doubt that, money spent by the Business has to be justified, so unless an "angle" presented itself which satisfied that, no. 

2) Fingers crossed, we have something very exciting lined up along those lines, & exclusive to Sky Poker, too.

I know the VLV thing is a disappointment to many, but it is just one of scores of Promotions which Sky Poker run annually, & the ideas factory upstairs has been very busy indeed recently. I'm delighted to say that many of these tasks have been delegated to me, which is what has occupied me so much this year.

The next Sky Poker Cash Game is also close to final Edit, & will be transmitted in late June, fingers crossed. It was recorded in late April/early May, & the whole thing aged me about 70 years, it stressed me to death, I've never done anything so stressful in my whole life, but we really did get some terrific stuff, & I hope it will be worth it.    
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : Was along the same line of thinking I had. So i'll tweak this slightly... Why not just advertise purely as a "Trip to Las Vegas" package, with 'spending money'? Book a few hotel rooms a stones throw away from the Rio, and deposit the remaining winnings in the player's account so they can take it out themselves and play whichever events they choose. At the very least, could this not have been done with TSP? Basically, just run the satellites and promotion as usual, give the player the MTT portion winnnings, then meet-up back out there to slap a few patches on, and boom. Your Uncle is a gentleman named Bob.
    Posted by Smitalos
    Thanks Carlos.

If only......

Do you really think that if we gave the $10,000 to 6 or 7 different players & said "OK, there's the cash, see you in Vegas", then they'd all dutifully turn up?! I very much doubt they would, they'd use the cash for other stuff, which sort of negates the whole ethos of VLV, & would fundamentally change the way the VLV Satellites run, & who plays them. In efect, they'd just be a very top heavy MTT. We could end up with 7 winners & not one of them showed up in Vegas, or they'd bink another package elsewhere & use that instead.

I think we do it properly, as we always have, imo, or not at all.
  • edited May 2013
    Thank you Tikay for a full and honest response and I can fully understand where issues are now. Of course its something we will all miss this year but I am sure you guys will come up with something to keep us poker addicts happy even if its just a special event at sky while the wsop is on. Good luck out there and hope you run well again. If you make the FT maybe a Sky onesie should be created so we get the brand across. Lol Tikay in a onesie sure the community would pay for that to be made for you :)
    Posted by MRBURNS4
    Thanks Burnsy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "onesie"?
  • edited May 2013

OK, thats it for now, my dinner is ready, & then I'm gonna relax playing baby PLO8 DYM's for the evening. Nothing relaxes me more after a tricky day at the office. ;)

I'll pick up any other questions in the morning. 

Have a good evening.  
  • edited May 2013
    Wow everytime i move the page theres more to read. 

For your effort i would like to give you a duck, i dont have a duck so i found this on google :) 

I thought that one looked colourful 

Anyways, back to VLV cant denie im not disappointed, probably saved me a few bob, and at the risk of getting lucky explaining to the family im off to vegas can you baby sit please. 

I really do hope that something is sorted for next year. 

Will Sky be running a different promo instead throughout the summer months? 
  • edited May 2013
    thanks TK

no doubting your commitment, nor your communication skills

still it's a big #sigh
  • edited May 2013
    Something like this sir lol

If this dosent come out it shows how poor me and technology get on and yes before its said about as good as my game lol
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : I will be in Vegas from June 14th to July 14th, the first 3 weeks playing various PLO8 Tourneys, including one WSOP PLO8 jobbie, & the last week or 10 days doing stuff with Dan for Channel 861. I mentioned earlier the possibility that I may play the Main as part of a private arrangement with friends elsewhere, & & sought permission from Ch 861 to do so, if it were to happen, & they agreed readily. I've never been able to play it all the years I have gone there, & been very happy to be the "Updater & Chef D-Equipe & Water-Carrier" for the VLV Team, so if it happens, it'd be quite something. We shall see.   As far as I am concerned, if you or any other Sky Poker players are in Vegas during that period, you'd be very welcome to run with us, hook up & maybe play some poker together. Several of the lads have already booked for at least part of that period, so fingers crossed, we'll spend some time chilling together in Vegas.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the reply Tikay. I wont be in Vegas until the end of August so you'll be long gone by then! :(
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the honest and concise answers Tikay. A couple of Vegas related questions from me....... 1) a) Is the Sky sponsored Pro, Julian Thew, being bought into the main Event either partly or in full by Sky Poker?     b) Will Sky Poker be investing in yourself when you do finally decide to play the big one? If either, or both, of these can not be answered, I fully understand. 2) With the opportunity now gone for players to go to Vegas via Sky Poker, can/will they now look into doing some online sats for UK based live bigger tournaments?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thewy is only doing 2 weeks due to his family committments and is home before the ME starts
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: VLV update : Thewy is only doing 2 weeks due to his family committments and is home before the ME starts
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Yup.

At one stage, by sheer chance, we were booked to fly out on the same date, but then Ch 861 asked me to do the "Royal Ascot Preview" Show on Thursday 13th June, so I had to delay my departure by a few days.

If all goes to plan, I disembark at McCarron Airport at 2pm on Friday 14th, & will be playing the $600 PLO8 at Venetian which starts at 4pm. Oooohhhh....

• edited May 2013
    Thanks Tikay for the explanation and all the answers to the questions on this thread. I'm sure this is a service we wouldn't get on any other poker site.

None of the other "promos" come close to VLV for me as it's not just about trying to qualify but being able to follow the qualifiers progress in the biggest tournament in the world. Reading updates from a GUKPT or similar doesn't have the same ring to it!

Hope this returns next years, and have fun in Las Vegas.