You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

50nl what to do on the turn when get raised is it a snap shove?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
FudleySmall blind £0.25£0.25£73.28ritz77711Big blind £0.50£0.75£61.73 Your hole cardsAK   david19119Fold    IDONKCALLURaise £1.50£2.25£47.21donfaz7813Fold    HachiKuroFold    FudleyCall £1.25£3.50£72.03ritz77711Raise £4.00£7.50£57.73IDONKCALLUCall £3.00£10.50£44.21FudleyCall £3.00£13.50£69.03Flop  810Q   FudleyCheck    ritz77711Check    IDONKCALLUBet £9.00£22.50£35.21FudleyRaise £18.50£41.00£50.53

Comments

• edited May 2013
    what are you up against?
    a made hand and/or the nut flush draw?
    there is even a straight flush draw to give a lower flush outs against you.
    not looking great for a shove imho
  • edited May 2013
    Hmm, horrible spot, imo we're only getting raised here by (unlikely) 2pairs , sets and NFDs which probably hold a pair too or at worst a GS like us.

Don't think we have any fold equity by shoving, and don't think we've ever got great equity against anything we're gonna see.

Having said that, if we get it in, we're getting about 2-1 on our money, right? someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's probably marginal imo between a fold or a shove. Interested to hear what better players than me say though.
  • edited May 2013
    Why bet the flop?  BTW we're not on the turn yet.

Have you got any reads or history with either player?

As played, you've got yourself into a tricky old spot of your own making.  I think it's a fold now just because they should be really nutted on this board to bet as they have.  Yes we have equity to improve but have no idea if our equity is to win the hand or not.
  • edited May 2013
    Sorry had to post again, that's how much I don't like betting this flop with this holding in a 3bet pot.  Such a 'take a free card' spot it's unreal IMO.

Without reads they look so strong, AcQx+ including two pairs, sets, straight with a club and made flushes.

Fold now and don't put yourself in these spots in the future.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to 50nl what to do on the turn when get raised is it a snap shove?:
    Fudley Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £73.28 ritz77711 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £61.73   Your hole cards A K       david19119 Fold         IDONKCALLU Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £47.21 donfaz7813 Fold         HachiKuro Fold         Fudley Call   £1.25 £3.50 £72.03 ritz77711 Raise   £4.00 £7.50 £57.73 IDONKCALLU Call   £3.00 £10.50 £44.21 Fudley Call   £3.00 £13.50 £69.03 Flop     8 10 Q       Fudley Check         ritz77711 Check         IDONKCALLU Bet   £9.00 £22.50 £35.21 Fudley Raise   £18.50 £41.00 £50.53
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    #pokerpro

such a lolstandard check back otf unless you're getting it in imo 

b/f is prob nut worst line
  • edited May 2013
    why flat pre
    why bet flop

• edited May 2013
    Dont really like the flat pre with someone else in the pot.
  • edited May 2013
    think i made a mistake not 4 betting pre 

tbh i am always betting this flop when it gets checked to me i have such a good hand i want to build the pot i wanna win a big pot not a small pot 
  • edited May 2013
    why bet the flop ? 

look at the flop its a standard bet on this flop imo i hit massive 
  • edited May 2013
    4 bet pre nit!

I would say leave names out but as you haven't, flatting pre is criminal.
  • edited May 2013
    i know i know curt your advice is always great as per 

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: 50nl what to do on the turn when get raised is it a snap shove?:
    think i made a mistake not 4 betting pre  tbh i am always betting this flop when it gets checked to me i have such a good hand i want to build the pot i wanna win a big pot not a small pot 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Then why is this even a question.  If in your opinion you have hit a massive flop why aren't you just getting it in?  Follow your plan through.

I don't like the plan, but if you have one then follow it.
  • edited May 2013
    You didn't answer the WHY you bet the flop, with an actual reason. Like do you expect to get called by worse, or are you trying to fold out better hands? which ones?

And what is your plan for if you get raised? If your plan is to GII to a c/r, then just do it and then there's no question here. Problem is you're gonna get c/r alot here and when you do, you are folding when you could have just took a free card or playing for stacks and almost definitely getting it in bad. The pot is already big and you can get stacks in over 2 streets if you need/want to.

Bet/folding the flop is horrible I agree, but I don't see any other option.
  • edited May 2013
    when i get raised the opponent could have 2 pair or a set   so if i shove im still not in bad shape yes im gambling which poker is more of a skill game but happy to take this gamble 

it turns out the opponent had ace 5 clubs so i was drawing dead 

every 1 saying 4 bet pre in hindsight yes i should of 

i watched a hand on tv last nite which i sky +  ages ago where jakally just called a 3 -bet with ak vs jj and flop came down   k x x redmond lee said he played it fine because jakally disguised the strength of hes hand a master class on how to play the hand that is what i was trying to do disuise the strength of my hand if i 4 bet it here its kinda face up 
  • edited May 2013
    Depends massively on your opponent though, some people won't even notice what you're trying to disguise. I don't know the opponents, but I'm guessing from Curt's response that these are the type we don't need to worry about our hard being 'face up'.

Also, I don't see how it's face up as AK, do we never 4bet any other hands apart from AK?
  • edited May 2013
    Lol Curt's advice is always great? He said 4bet. My dog could have said that. No offence to you Curt because you do post good advice but my god IDCU, take it out mate. 

b/f this flop is bad
  • edited May 2013
    and this is why i dont post my hands on here any more 

none of u have said why u shouldnt bet this flop why why why its a great flop for my hand when it gets checked to 

is it a check because u see the guy raise lol 

if i won the pot with the bet would u still say its a check on the flop :p
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: 50nl what to do on the turn when get raised is it a snap shove?:
    Lol Curt's advice is always great? He said 4bet. My dog could have said that. No offence to you Curt because you do post good advice but my god IDCU, take it out mate.  b/f this flop is bad
    Posted by percival09
    Big +1

BUT....

What's better, b/f and feel stupid for forcing ourselves to fold OR, bet/GII knowing we're always in bad shape?
  • edited May 2013
    i am never checking this flop not ever 
  • edited May 2013
    and this is why i dont post my hands on here any more  none of u have said why u shouldnt bet this flop why why why its a great flop for my hand when it gets checked to  is it a check because u see the guy raise lol  if i won the pot with the bet would u still say its a check on the flop :p
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    IDCU - please a little more respect. you asked a question, and i'm sure most of the responses are very sincere

• edited May 2013
    and as played i prefer bet/fold than 3bet shove on the flop because i think the info i am getting is putting me behind most hands

calling the flop avoids that dilemma

but both are valid approaches
  • edited May 2013
    But we don't HAVE to bet Geldy. We have been given the opportunity to just check and take a free card when we have NO hand but a ton of equity. If we bet and get action, we're in trouble all the time, so why bet?

Donk hasn't explained why betting is better than checking.

P.S. Nice work on the ninja quote Geldy lol.
  • edited May 2013
    i appologise for my behaviour  dont help with some of these comments especially curts 

• edited May 2013
    given the pre flop action and the board texture how often do you think you're taking it down with this bet on the flop?

Obviously we haven't taken into account reads but personally i dont think you take this down very often with this flop bet and the occasions where you do get action i think you will be in bad shape a high % of the time. also, when you do get check/raised on this flop i think the equity you can expect to have is always really low...their line is never weak imo.
  • edited May 2013
    rofl

Pretty sure you'll always get shown a set/flush/AcX here if you get it in as played.
  • edited May 2013
    i appologise for my behaviour  dont help with some of these comments especially curts 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanks donk
    meanwhile this is why the clinic is good
    you asked a question, got the answer to your question, but got additional ways of thinking about the hand as well
    don't be defensive - and we are all learning from this so well posted
  • edited May 2013
    Lol Curt's advice is always great? He said 4bet. My dog could have said that. No offence to you Curt because you do post good advice but my god IDCU, take it out mate.  b/f this flop is bad
    Posted by percival09

Exactly this^

My advice was based purely on the fact of knowing the players and therefore straight forward and simple. If names where left out I would have tried to elaborate more on the hand. However I feel cant give an honest answer on the later streets because from my point of veiw, the biggest mistake was probably made pre flop. 
    Also others have already given good advice on the hand.

• edited May 2013
    well i dont know the players like u do your a reg at these stakes i rarely play cash 

only played coz i couldnt sleep n it was the 4th-5th hand in so no info 
  • edited May 2013
    Get it in pre flop
  • edited May 2013

Ok you've asked so I'll answer.

Reasons not to bet the flop when the action is checked to us.

1)  We've cold called a 3bet with action not yet closed behind us.  So we've already flagged up that we like our hand pre.  The original raiser has called a 3bet and a cold call, he too likes his hand.  The 3bettor has 3bet quite small so if they are at all competent then they too like their hand.  So we have the looks of three decent to strong holdings going to the flop.  This board nails strong holdings, it's layered and it's right at the top end.  So it's safe to assume that at least one and maybe both of the villains have at least a piece of this.

2)  The act of betting.  I take it we are semi-bluffing.  Let's break that down into two parts.  Firstly the bluff part, how much fold equity do we have by betting the flop?  Very little indeed, so little that I think the act of bluffing here is nearly pointless.  We are three way in a 3bet pot, someone else has a piece here quite often.  And a decent portion of the time they smash it.  I see TPTK+ here all the way up to and uncapped at flushes, straight and sets.  So little of the 3bet or the callers range is folding on this flop and I very much doubt there are brick run outs which they fold either if you plan to barrel all of the way.  So the bluff part of betting is ultimately pointless.

Move on to the second part of the semi bluff, betting our equity.  I'm a great believer in betting and ultimately at times stacking off on pure equity, because our percentage chance of winning a hand on the flop or turn is vastly more important than where our hand is on the rankings system at that time.  So how's our equity?

We have two overs, the nut straight gutshot draw and the second nut flush draw on a monotone board.  In a single raised heads up pot I would be quite happy with this situation, however we are in a three way 3bet pot.  The fact it is three bet means the likelihood of our flush draw being live is reduced as an Ace makes a large part of the 3bettors range and one of the last three is the club, factor in the caller then that makes it even more likely.  And that's not even counting all the hand combinations which smash this board and we don't match that great against.  There is a remarkable chance, a highly probably chance if we get action, that our best case scenario is eight clubs and three jacks to win the hand.  That's eleven outs, we're not favourite here in that case and I'm be pretty optimistic if I was to think this will be a frequent situation, a ton of the time we've lost our flush outs and sometimes they have the pair up joker.  I don't think our equity in this pot is that great in this spot.

So let's combine the two together.  Fold equity:-  Almost zero plus equity:-  Ok but dangerous if we get action.

To me this means if we bet and if we get action we are building a pot which someone else will win more than we win.  If we check the flop then we can assess the actions of the others to whatever the turn brings.  We have position, someone with a made hand will have to start putting money in, we might hit our flush, straight or even nut flush if the gin Ace comes down and we haven't invested money someone else will win more than we do.

That is my argument for not betting the flop.

Now please in future add any and all reads you have to get a much better amount of responses and take the names out.