You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Total Player 2?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Total Player 2?:
    Am I right in thinking that Sparse was one of the three finallists last time? I haven't seen him on Sky for a long time. Does anyone know what he's doing now?
    Posted by
    4EVERGREEN
    Yup.

These days, he has a job in the City, I believe, on a Trading Desk, which he loves, but it means early morning starts, so it has scuppered his poker for the time being.

He went to Vegas one year, purchased a full computer set up out there, dual giant monitors all that stuff, installed it in his Suite in Vegas, & just grinded cash for weeks on end. When it was time to come home, he left the whole lot there, in his suite!

I saw him somewhere quite recently, he is fine, & a really decent kid, I like him immensely.

He used to play the nosebleed cash games on Sky Poker, no game was too big for him.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Total Player 2? : They did last time, imo.  Pretty much unanimous win for Dan Brown, well deserved.  Probably had something to do with an incredible hero call he made where he called the guy's hand exactly down to the suits I think.  Then again, if I saw it today, I'd probably think it was standard.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Correct. He named the villain's hand precisely - K-8. (Spades, I seem to recall).

Oddly, Dan had EXACTLY the same hand, though different suits, obv, & got the villain off.

Dan came to Vegas with us, & Kelly (better half) came with him even though she was expecting their first child at the time, & it was tough for her, as it was so hot in Vegas.

First child "Thomas" was born a few months later, so life started to get complicated for Dan. He still plays on the Site, but not nearly so much.

The other finalist (as well as Sparce) was Nutter5932, who still plays regularly on the site, & I see him now & then at places like DTD where he wears ridiculously silly hats.  
  • edited June 2013

As you will probably have gathered by the OP, a new series of Total Player is in gestation & planning (not guaranteed to happen, but "likely"), but we genuinely want to listen to Community Feedback before we press the go button.

I would hazard a guess that if it happens, it will be in the Autumn or early winter.

• edited June 2013
    upper/middle/lower teir based league format would seem the best option.. to maybe find the final 5 or 6 players over 2 or 3 disciplines (cash /mtt / stt).. there could be mentors for easch but im sure each player would have something of their own to bring especially the highr/more experienced players.
    lots of things can be done with these teams inc tag team games, hu league formats (like nbc), leagues games etc etc 

the eventual winner can then be alongside julian until nxt year when the whole process starts again and a new 'sponsored player' (the new show title)
  • edited June 2013
    I was part of TP last time, even, though it was only for 1 round. Matt Broughton was my tutor, and he was great. We would bounce ideas off each other quite regularly over MSN when I was on lunch breaks. He was always up for talking and made himself very approachable.

On the whole, I think the promo was great, and for people to still be saying good things about it 3 years later proves that. I believe the prize was a buy in to a £100 SPT, a £1000 GUKPT and 10k WSOP main event. I may be wrong, and sorry if I am, but I don't think Sky covered Dan's travel costs to Vegas or hotel room? He seemed to travel separate to Vegas than the other VLV qualifiers and he felt a bit left out.

Like others have said, the final pick was done by the community and not by a panel of judges. Every other round it was done by the mentors.

The only other thing that was a bit tricky, was the mentors were having to watch all 6 of their players, and talk over MSN, while of course not being able to see their cards. Not sure how they could really coach at the time. I'd like to see maybe only 1 or 2 from each tutor group play on any specific night so they can get a lot more 1 to 1.

It would be great if the faces of Skypoker were the tutors, maybe Ryan, Redmond and Thewy? Although I'd like a 4th option and have 1 to 1 tutoring with Charlotte Jackson...

In regards to people saying lower players should be included, I'm pretty sure they were last time. I think the tutors got given a selection of upper, middle and lower players from all 3 disciplines. Those candidates were phoned up before hand and asked to send it 3 or 4 hands they felt showed their strengths, I.E making a big laydown or a big call. They then had to put a detailed step by step analysis on every hand so the tutors could get an idea of what they were thinking and who had the best thought patterns during the hands. Of course the more you wrote, the better chance you had of getting in.
  • edited June 2013
    I wasnt on your site when it ran last time although i did watch it some on the TV, The only thing I liked about it was the Ed Giddins input, without that I doubt it would work.

• edited June 2013
    Why have another promo like this when you have already kicked off the team sky poker concept..

I would have thought putting the effort and money into this and making it really something would be a better use of the marketing and analytical spend.  Come on sky, you've already started something, don't chop and change. 
  • edited June 2013
    Why have another promo like this when you have already kicked off the team sky poker concept.. I would have thought putting the effort and money into this and making it really something would be a better use of the marketing and analytical spend.  Come on sky, you've already started something, don't chop and change. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Who said we'd stop TSP?

Total Player would be extra not take anything from TSP or other promos.
  • edited June 2013
    To rephrase my point
    I would prefer any extra marketing budget going to enhance team sky poker than starting another promo
  • edited June 2013
    what even is TSP? what do you expect/hope it to achieve?

tsp doesn't even have any information on it anywhere on the homepage so it's not like you can even just look it up.

def dont want it to be another wishy washy prize/promo where it's not obvious what's been won etc  so prob best not to try and aim for some 10 year exclusivity contract as opposed to a few live comp buyins or w/e the prizes could be.

rather than having the old mentors why not use the tsp players as you already have them and they are obv incredible, and obv must do as they are told!

would hope for a league format, preferably doubles or w/e like I suggested before, and maybe even multiple formats ie 6max/hu not just a one off tourny where the person who holds with AA and wins a flip is suddenly the bestest.

got lots of ideas just cant remember what the old total player format fully was or do I have much of an idea of what tsp is currently meant to be.
  • edited June 2013
    what even is TSP? what do you expect/hope it to achieve? tsp doesn't even have any information on it anywhere on the homepage so it's not like you can even just look it up. def dont want it to be another wishy washy prize/promo where it's not obvious what's been won etc  so prob best not to try and aim for some 10 year exclusivity contract as opposed to a few live comp buyins or w/e the prizes could be. rather than having the old mentors why not use the tsp players as you already have them and they are obv incredible, and obv must do as they are told! would hope for a league format, preferably doubles or w/e like I suggested before, and maybe even multiple formats ie 6max/hu not just a one off tourny where the person who holds with AA and wins a flip is suddenly the bestest. got lots of ideas just cant remember what the old total player format fully was or do I have much of an idea of what tsp is currently meant to be.
    Posted by beaneh
    Well I'm a TSP player from the latest formation of it, and something tells me I'm neither incredible or capable of mentoring a lot of the better players on the site... although I could probably manage to mentor an up and coming 10NL player lol.

• edited June 2013

There is NO connection between TSP (Team Sky Poker) & Total Player.

The next Team Sky Poker renewal is currently in advanced stages of planning, with most of the basics agreed, & in place. An announcement will be made in due course. 

Total Player, as already explained, is currently under discussion, with a likely (but not 100% certain) timescale of late Autumn. It would differ markedly from the last one as to detail, & in many ways. Same basic logic though - identify the best.

Some of this, some of that, can't be bad......
  • edited June 2013
    On the contrary tikay
    If I may be so bold
    bit of this and that but if they don't reach critical mass for take off then why bother
    team sky poker arrived to a big fanfare but then fell dormant
    would have said extinct if not for your comments
    Imho if you are going to have something like this
    get it to critical mass
    get it to explode into the poker world
    make a big bang from it
    and then keep it moving

don't mind if it is tsp, total player or whatever
    but think big
    and make a sustainable difference with it
    I would rather one big effort to make something work
    than a bit of this a bit of that
  • edited June 2013
    There is NO connection between TSP (Team Sky Poker) & Total Player. The next Team Sky Poker renewal is currently in advanced stages of planning, with most of the basics agreed, & in place. An announcement will be made in due course.  Total Player , as already explained, is currently under discussion, with a likely (but not 100% certain) timescale of late Autumn. It would differ markedly from the last one as to detail, & in many ways. Same basic logic though - identify the best. Some of this, some of that, can't be bad......
    Posted by Tikay10

pinches of salt though. saying best and having it over a single mtt is pretty incredibly inconsistent.

why can there not be any connection?

and im sure you have some things you could help other players with lambert, even if its just moral support, chatting about hands with someone new deffo think a peer mentoring rather than just choosing tv channel guests would be best for the community aspect.
  • edited June 2013
    I think that, if the mentors were not simply going to be the show analysts, they shouldn't just be high-stakes players chosen from the site.

I imagine the mentors would simply be, as last time, three of the show analysts anyway. With Redmond Lee, Ryan Spittles and Richard Orford being the obvious leading contenders. However, if these guys were unavailable or were seen as inappropriate for whatever reason, it would seem best to actually pick players who have experience of coaching rather than just experience of winning.

We all know the names of the better-known Sky high-stakes regs, but who's to say that Lol_raise, beaneh, style2737 or whoever would actually be good at this sort of thing? Possessing the knowledge and communicating it effectively require two very different sets of skills.
  • edited June 2013
    There is NO connection between TSP (Team Sky Poker) & Total Player. The next Team Sky Poker renewal is currently in advanced stages of planning, with most of the basics agreed, & in place. An announcement will be made in due course.  Total Player , as already explained, is currently under discussion, with a likely (but not 100% certain) timescale of late Autumn. It would differ markedly from the last one as to detail, & in many ways. Same basic logic though - identify the best. Some of this, some of that, can't be bad......
    Posted by Tikay10

is potential factored in?  #justasking

• edited June 2013
    How I would do it is have a group of 20 players and 5 mentors.  Have the mentors pick 10 players who are already very good and 8 players from the lower levels they think can improve into top end players then have the community vote on 2 wild cards to add to the 8.  The mentors then get 2 from each group drawn at random to mentor.  There are then a series of torunies and cash games both online and live with everyone playing at least one online and one live game before any elimination takes place
  • edited June 2013

Assuming this does all happen, can we be assured that we'll be given some idea of the criteria that will be used to identify the contenders?

It would be helpful to know what those criteria will be long in advance of the selection taking place, to allow players like me to really make an effort to be in a position to be considered... if we decide we want to do that. For example, if it's to be decided upon hands seen on the mastercash tables over the preceding months, some of us would need to get on those tables a little more frequently.

I'm not suggesting I will be interested but it would be nice to know how we can give ourselves a chance.

• edited June 2013
    Assuming this does all happen, can we be assured that we'll be given some idea of the criteria that will be used to identify the contenders? It would be helpful to know what those criteria will be long in advance of the selection taking place, to allow players like me to really make an effort to be in a position to be considered... if we decide we want to do that. For example, if it's to be decided upon hands seen on the mastercash tables over the preceding months, some of us would need to get on those tables a little more frequently. I'm not suggesting I will be interested but it would be nice to know how we can give ourselves a chance.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Big +1 to this.

I'd certainly be making a go for it, and would want to know how I need to go about getting 'seen'
  • edited June 2013
    I loved the last promotion  apart from one element

At last gasp the Sky Poker Community got to vote for their favourite.  Now, for the winner please don't take offense at this, but I felt that turned it into a popularity contest rather than the best player going forward.  

As it happens I think the best player did win it but that is not the point.  If we do it again we need to change the ending to something more dependant on Poker Skills 

That's my tuppence worth 

• edited October 2013
    so is this happening or not? 
  • edited October 2013
    My heart fluttered a bit when i saw this bumped up.

Thought there was an update.

Cheers don!

• edited October 2013
    Me too Gazza :(

Can't wait for them to try this again.
  • edited October 2013
    Just seen this thread. Gutted I missed the first one it was when I had dropped off playing poker for a while.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Total Player 2?:
    For those of you that remember Total Player from while back, we've been discussing it recently and it would be good to get your feedback too please... - What did you think of it? - Should we do it again? - What did you like? - What would you do differently? - How would you chose a winner? - What should the prize be? It would be good to get your thoughts as it might help us decide if we do it again and, if so, what the format is. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Less blue jumpers.

• edited October 2013
    I would like to see every level of player get an opportunity!

You could run a competition on the lines of the football league!

Premiere Div
    Division 1
    Division 2
    Division 3
    Division 4

Starts in spring finishes 6 months later.

Run qualifying sit and goes which are televised Jan - Mar to select ,say 60 people!
    Then from those 60 divide them into 5 teams of 12.(on points earned during qualifying events.)
    Then from April onwards run weekly Sat televised sit and goes to earn points.
    Then in Dec . have a fa cup type draw for the whole league to take part in.
    Who ever wins this will be the Total Player!
    And each division winner is awarded a championship trophy.
    It will make exciting television and also make sky a very popular site!

Should increase viewing figures and membership figures!
  • edited October 2013
    Cant remember much about the last TP promo but from what I do remember it was great viewing !!! My question is how would it work between tourney players and cash players ?? surely its not fair to just play tourneys because this is unfair on the cash grinders and vice versa, maybe open a few TP cash tables and see who is the biggest winner over a certain period of time, and for the tourney players some sort of league format ?? just my thoughts !!!