You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cheap Buyin tournaments.

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
Why is there a lack of cheap cash tournaments on Skypoker? I play a site with a 60 seat 2c (1.6p) buy in, they are great fun and you can win as much as 50c (33p) YES 33P LOL.

Its just too expensive to play for fun on Sky an this is probably the reason most Skypoker players on Sharkscope seem to be £1000-£3000 in poop. The site I use just opens a 60 seat tournanment and when its full it starts and another one opens, so on so forth.

You could have 5p buyin, 10p buyin, 20p/50p etc and say pay the top 7 and prizes would be pretty decent for the recreational poker player. I can't really play on Sky as unless I'm missing something there are no multi table tournaments 30/40/50 plus constantly running for cheap.

I don't want to pay £1.60 for 1 game when that gets me 16  games else where. The prize money is not important its the playing of poker for a small stake I enjoy. I've been on Skypoker for maybe a month and I'm already £18 in the red and probably won't deposit anymore I'll just use my poker points on freerolls.

It's not hard for you trial a few 50 seat cheap buyins and see how it goes, or don't you have enough players? Or maybe they are on here I've just missed them?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I agree. I love SkyPoker but there has to be more variety! Both in buyin and tournaments. Simples.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Cheap Buyin tournaments.:
    Why is there a lack of cheap cash tournaments on Skypoker? I play a site with a 60 seat 2c (1.6p) buy in, they are great fun and you can win as much as 50c (33p) YES 33P LOL. Its just too expensive to play for fun on Sky an this is probably the reason most Skypoker players on Sharkscope seem to be £1000-£3000 in poop. The site I use just opens a 60 seat tournanment and when its full it starts and another one opens, so on so forth. You could have 5p buyin, 10p buyin, 20p/50p etc and say pay the top 7 and prizes would be pretty decent for the recreational poker player. I can't really play on Sky as unless I'm missing something there are no multi table tournaments 30/40/50 plus constantly running for cheap. I don't want to pay £1.60 for 1 game when that gets me 16  games else where. The prize money is not important its the playing of poker for a small stake I enjoy. I've been on Skypoker for maybe a month and I'm already £18 in the red and probably won't deposit anymore I'll just use my poker points on freerolls. It's not hard for you trial a few 50 seat cheap buyins and see how it goes, or don't you have enough players? Or maybe they are on here I've just missed them?
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    they are sit and gos what you have just described, sky dont get the numbers for them sort of games and as for there not being enough low stakes, theres plenty of them vcompared to the lack of high stakes games!!
  • edited June 2013
    The reason Skypoker does not and never will get the big numbers is because everyone thinks the site is a scam to make money. Add some small touneys, let them sit and fill slowly and watch the numbers increase.

Sky is a good brand but currently Skypoker is not good for the brand, Add some small stacks tourneys, and sit an goes. It does appear Sky want to keep their current user base at all costs, and checking Sharkscope tells you why. Its full of users happy to lose £2000 a year. Try to get the small stakes players in. The site numbers will double/tripple when word gets out Sky has 5p 10p 20p games.

A lot of online players don't like Skys "close" community and the same names winning time after time. Go on 888 theres thousand and thousands of players fromt the UK, Mention Sky to them and see what they have to say. Sky is meant to be good for its communtiy advice? I'v seen users who have lost thousands giving advice to players struggling. The advice is BET BIGGER ON THAT TURN...Yea and lose bigger. Lets get some nice small easy to play 20p 50 seat sit and goes.
  • edited June 2013
    Every Wed the games your looking for are running for afew hours cant remember the smallest stakes but I do remember playing on for 35p BH think it goes from that size up to a fiver I'm sure somebody playing on the site longer than me will let you know, but I do agree I would love to see these been ran every night even if it was only one or two a night for us that are just playing for fun
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments.:
    The reason Skypoker does not and never will get the big numbers is because everyone thinks the site is a scam to make money. Add some small touneys, let them sit and fill slowly and watch the numbers increase. Sky is a good brand but currently Skypoker is not good for the brand, Add some small stacks tourneys, and sit an goes. It does appear Sky want to keep their current user base at all costs, and checking Sharkscope tells you why. Its full of users happy to lose £2000 a year. Try to get the small stakes players in. The site numbers will double/tripple when word gets out Sky has 5p 10p 20p games. A lot of online players don't like Skys "close" community and the same names winning time after time. Go on 888 theres thousand and thousands of players fromt the UK, Mention Sky to them and see what they have to say. Sky is meant to be good for its communtiy advice? I'v seen users who have lost thousands giving advice to players struggling. The advice is BET BIGGER ON THAT TURN...Yea and lose bigger. Lets get some nice small easy to play 20p 50 seat sit and goes.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    a scam to make money??? please elaborate on this, i have no idea what anybody from sky gains from scamming players.
  • edited June 2013
    Anyway,

Set up some low stakes tourneys lol, I see on Sharkscope THEROCK573 has won around £26'000 from this site, but some of use want to play for 26p lol.
  • edited June 2013
    Just to clarify,

I quite like Skypoker and would happily spend my $20/£13 a month here but it would be used up to quick as I'm crud lol
  • edited June 2013
    Anyway, Set up some low stakes tourneys lol, I see on Sharkscope THEROCK573 has won around £26'000 from this site, but some of use want to play for 26p lol.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    why do you keep going on about peoples winnings or losses, the subject is on low stakes tournaments and id like to know why people think sky are scamming people? ive given you the reason why sit and gos dont run and its to do with traffic, the run fast fast on other sites because they have lots of traffic because there european sites and not just a uk site like sky, sky poker has lots of tournament for small stakes, too many in my opinion,  id like more tournaments at the £55 - £110 if im honest.
  • edited June 2013
    Anyway, Set up some low stakes tourneys lol, I see on Sharkscope THEROCK573 has won around £26'000 from this site, but some of use want to play for 26p lol.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    im sure its agains forum rules to reveal my sharkscope stats without my permission but il let you off because i sometimes have embarressed out of line fish by doing so!! ha
  • edited June 2013
    Just to clarify, I quite like Skypoker and would happily spend my $20/£13 a month here but it would be used up to quick as I'm crud lol
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    why not just admit that your far too loose before January I was in a massive loss of over £180 but thanks to a bit of adjustment to my hand selection I now have over £300.
    all it takes is for you to stop calling suited hands raggy aces and start folding AA sometimes.
    basically you just need to be really tight aggressive
    as for cheap tournaments the freerolls are totally free already.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : im sure its agains forum rules to reveal my sharkscope stats without my permission but il let you off because i sometimes have embarressed out of line fish by doing so!! ha
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Whats the the point of making it agains't the rules? Surely anyone can go to Sharkscope and do 5 searches a day for free? I was using it to point out, of course you want high stakes, you play big to win big. I play small to lose small lol. You've also reset your stats which s fair enough, hide you loses most do it.

But in poker the play small to win/lose small should not be forgotten surely? I play "around $20 a month on 888 it can last me a while for instance last year I played all year for $80 and ended with a $12 profit and I'm happy with that( although sometimes I only manage around 5 hours in the whole month playing), small risk small reward. It is not easy to do that on Skypoker. I sometimes work 70/80 hours a week out of town so I'm never going to be a great player but I enjoy the small stakes.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : why not just admit that your far too loose before January I was in a massive loss of over £180 but thanks to a bit of adjustment to my hand selection I now have over £300. all it takes is for you to stop calling suited hands raggy aces and start folding AA sometimes. basically you just need to be really tight aggressive as for cheap tournaments the freerolls are totally free already.
    Posted by craigcu12
    I probably am "lose" but I enjoy that and at 10 or 20p in a 60 seater I can will be the the game for a good while and have some fun, I wont win but I won't really lose either. Anyway it seems its not happening. It would be nice for them to trial some 20p buy in 60 seaters, but as has been pointed out the site does not have the user numbers for this. But how do you increase traffic if everyone thinks they're a super poker expert and 4 games in a day could cost you £20? I would rather play 4 games for 80p.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm a couple of hundred pounds up, according to Scope. Am I allowed to post in the clinic? lol

The clinic isn't intended for pro's  to come on and tell you exactly what you should have done. It's there to help players, at all levels if they're interested, to flesh out their own ideas and build on their own understanding. If something is posted that isn't quite right, it's always challenged and that is for the good of all posters. I'd encourage any player that wants to improve to post their own thoughts on every hand in the clinic.

As has been said, the 60 seat format describes a sit and go. SNG traffic on sky is so low that it can take hours for a 6-max table to fill. 60 seaters would never fill.

I don't know what the business reasoning might be for having a 10p MTT on Sky. It might be worth their while, it might not. If you want a response from a Sky employee, I'd suggest bumping this thread on Monday morning.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : I probably am "lose" but I enjoy that and at 10 or 20p in a 60 seater I can will be the the game for a good while and have some fun, I wont win but I won't really lose either. Anyway it seems its not happening. It would be nice for them to trial some 20p buy in 60 seaters, but as has been pointed out the site does not have the user numbers for this. But how do you increase traffic if everyone thinks they're a super poker expert and 4 games in a day could cost you £20? I would rather play 4 games for 80p.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    just play poker on facebook if you arnt bothered about the money, and im far from a high stakes player, seen as you have checked my stats you will notice my average buy is something like £20.00
  • edited June 2013
    Ok, I give in.

No small multi table games on Sky as the site is too small. Back to 888, good luck folks. I do have some poker points left to play so you may fish me out soon if you're lucky.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Cheap Buyin tournaments.:
    Why is there a lack of cheap cash tournaments on Skypoker? I play a site with a 60 seat 2c (1.6p) buy in, they are great fun and you can win as much as 50c (33p) YES 33P LOL. Its just too expensive to play for fun on Sky an this is probably the reason most Skypoker players on Sharkscope seem to be £1000-£3000 in poop. The site I use just opens a 60 seat tournanment and when its full it starts and another one opens, so on so forth. You could have 5p buyin, 10p buyin, 20p/50p etc and say pay the top 7 and prizes would be pretty decent for the recreational poker player. I can't really play on Sky as unless I'm missing something there are no multi table tournaments 30/40/50 plus constantly running for cheap. I don't want to pay £1.60 for 1 game when that gets me 16  games else where. The prize money is not important its the playing of poker for a small stake I enjoy. I've been on Skypoker for maybe a month and I'm already £18 in the red and probably won't deposit anymore I'll just use my poker points on freerolls. It's not hard for you trial a few 50 seat cheap buyins and see how it goes, or don't you have enough players? Or maybe they are on here I've just missed them?
    Posted by OHIMGOOD

So you're trying to tell me these players are 1-3k in the swanny because there is no tournameny less than £1.60 - well there is 60p rouletes they run 5 past most hours. Thy get around 10-20 runners with £2 up top, ive won a few they are fun. 

Anyways so your blaming the fact that these players maybe just aren't very good(experianced) and therefore lose money is the fault of the buy in of the said mtt. 

The chances are these players would still lose money just at a slower rate. The odd one would develop into a decent player maybe start winning at very low stakes then move up and crush like the better players anyways. 

You have to remember most (98% or more) of poker players are losing players, that is the case on every single site in online poker and also accounts for live too. These players normally have a budget that they are happy to lose and uses as a 'entertainment' costs. Of coarse they can still win the primo the same as anyone else and make some money while they have that fun.  
  • edited June 2013
    Ok, I give in. No small multi table games on Sky as the site is too small. Back to 888, good luck folks. I do have some poker points left to play so you may fish me out soon if you're lucky.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    I'll bump it on Monday for you, if no sky peeps post here beforehand.
  • edited June 2013
    Do you think that 98% are losing players Don?
    I have absolutely no idea myself, just curious.
    Seems a very high figure
  • edited June 2013
    i think 98% is a little high myself but it will be somewhere in the >90.
    as for penny tournies unless they r super hyper turbos they just really aint worth the rake to sky... pennies maybe for over an hours server time, bandwidth + possible tech support issues etc etc.... its a business at the end of the day designed to collect rake and tourney fees.
  • edited June 2013
    Do you think that 98% are losing players Don? I have absolutely no idea myself, just curious. Seems a very high figure
    Posted by Jac35
    I think it would be close. 
  • edited June 2013
    i think 98% is a little high myself but it will be somewhere in the />90. as for penny tournies unless they r super hyper turbos they just really aint worth the rake to sky... pennies maybe for over an hours server time, bandwidth + possible tech support issues etc etc.... its a business at the end of the day designed to collect rake and tourney fees.
    Posted by TonyMT
    I understand Pennys tournaments might not make big money for Sky but it gets players on the site. Also, this place can be quite harsh to new/not so good players. Trying to play for fun and getting called DONK/FISH everytime you win is a pain. Especially when the guy calling it ya is on a 2 year long losing streak.

So in a lower priced tournaments me and my fellow donk's can play happliy without the good players skinning us and without the wanna be players constantly whinging at us lol. Its not easy entering a £5 tourney knowing you have no chance. An I don't want to learn variance, set mining, 3 bets,C-Bets,etc, I want to play for 20p.

But from comments made so far Skypoker not a approprate place for penny tourneys and the "comunty" don't want them, plus they can be played else where.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : I understand Pennys tournaments might not make big money for Sky but it gets players on the site. Also, this place can be quite harsh to new/not so good players. Trying to play for fun and getting called DONK/FISH everytime you win is a pain. Especially when the guy calling it ya is on a 2 year long losing streak. So in a lower priced tournaments me and my fellow donk's can play happliy without the good players skinning us and without the wanna be players constantly whinging at us lol. Its not easy entering a £5 tourney knowing you have no chance. An I don't want to learn variance, set mining, 3 bets,C-Bets,etc, I want to play for 20p. But from comments made so far Skypoker not a approprate place for penny tourneys and the "comunty" don't want them, plus they can be played else where.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    have you got no interest in becoming a better player then were you can compete and make cashes in the £5.50 games??? if money isnt why you play poker then why not just enter the daily free rolls which sky run!! anyway thats my final say on the matter, bedtime cos its time get wrecked at the marratime festival 2moro, see if i can put a whole in some of these poker winnings!!! ;-)
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : I understand Pennys tournaments might not make big money for Sky but it gets players on the site. Also, this place can be quite harsh to new/not so good players. Trying to play for fun and getting called DONK/FISH everytime you win is a pain. Especially when the guy calling it ya is on a 2 year long losing streak. So in a lower priced tournaments me and my fellow donk's can play happliy without the good players skinning us and without the wanna be players constantly whinging at us lol. Its not easy entering a £5 tourney knowing you have no chance. An I don't want to learn variance, set mining, 3 bets,C-Bets,etc, I want to play for 20p. But from comments made so far Skypoker not a approprate place for penny tourneys and the "comunty" don't want them, plus they can be played else where.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    tbh mate from lurking in these forums for a while i have learnt that most suggestions seem to be dismissed in an elitist manner, be it software improvements, security concerns or game changes.

variance says that u can win a £5 tourney :) anyone can run like god a bink.
    the best thing i can suggest is play the freerolls or buy in short @ 4nl.
    or if u really dont care about the money just find somewhere that offers play money.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : tbh mate from lurking in these forums for a while i have learnt that most suggestions seem to be dismissed in an elitist manner, be it software improvements, security concerns or game changes.   variance says that u can win a £5 tourney :) anyone can run like god a bink. the best thing i can suggest is play the freerolls or buy in short @ 4nl. or if u really dont care about the money just find somewhere that offers play money.
    Posted by TonyMT
    Genuinely surprised by this comment, sorry you feel that way but we respectfully disagree. We wouldn't have a forum if this was the case. We want to hear (and do listen to) what people have to say on the forum.
  • edited June 2013
    A couple more 1.10 tourneys everynight 5 or 7min blinds since the 6.50 speed has gone. Even without a GTD bit like the PLO ones. What have sky to lose with no GTD. The 1.10 deepstack just takes too long i can only play this once a week.
  • edited June 2013
    A couple more 1.10 tourneys everynight 5 or 7min blinds since the 6.50 speed has gone. Even without a GTD bit like the PLO ones. What have sky to lose with no GTD. The 1.10 deepstack just takes too long i can only play this once a week.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I agree with this post in a sense.

More £1.10 mtts of various formats can't be a bad thing
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : I agree with this post in a sense. More £1.10 mtts of various formats can't be a bad thing
    Posted by The_Don90
    People will play these i am sure of it. The roulette 60p ones can get over 30 runner just change the blinds to a bit more playable like 3mins. I like playing the 25quid GTD 1.10 at the weekend and they always break the GTD.

Also if people do well at these low Buy ins then they will put money in at a higher level so eventually it will go up the ladder.
  • edited June 2013
    Well, I tightened up my game played 2 60p DYM's won them both, They played like Poker once did iin the casino, if you're tight, patient and agressive on the weak players you'll win. But maybe it was just luck who knows. Would still like some low stake tourneys.No need to have £20GTD. I think they may be fun and popular.

Still had to fight the urge to "all in" with 9-6 suiited lol, or taking a pair of 3's down the street, reraising all the way lol.
  • edited June 2013
    1p rebuys  ftw 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cheap Buyin tournaments. : I agree with this post in a sense. More £1.10 mtts of various formats can't be a bad thing
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yeah lol, sift through my nonsense and the essence of this post is a good idea, at least for a trial....