You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker win rates?

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat
hey guys wonder if someone out there could help me out

I usually play around on average 60-70 hrs a month playing mostly 20nl cash and my average month is something 30-35 buyins in profit probably be more if never donked profits off in mtts that i never bink lol.

I would like to know how to work out how many bb/100 hands,bb/hr and hourly rate how it can be workied out.I`ve been told like 5/bb per 100 hands is a good win rate anything higher means your crushing your level is that right? but that seems quite a low number so would like to know how i`m doing againist the likes of this winrate.Also after I find out how to work all this out which one is the best to use.

thanks is advance liamboi11.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Well without your actual hand count it's impossible to say. An average hands per hour for 6max is around 70-100 depending on the table speed. If your playing a specific amount of tables at a time every time and know you exact profits for cash and hours put in you could work out a rough bb/100. Without an exact hand count and profit it's impossible to work out your true bb/100.

For your hours it's alot simpler £/hours = average :p
  • edited June 2013
    Well on the figures youve given me it looks like you get 0.5 buyins an hour.... so thats 50bb an hour....  Average of about 70 hands an hour and you average 0.7bb/hand.... which is 70bb/100 hands.

But maths was never my strong point.

EDIT - just realised this doesnt take into account multi-tabling.

Youd need the hand count or just divide 70 by the average number of tables you play...
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: poker win rates?:
    Well on the figures youve given me it looks like you get 0.5 buyins an hour.... so thats 50bb an hour....  Average of about 70 hands an hour and you average 0.7bb/hand.... which is 70bb/100 hands. But maths was never my strong point.
    Posted by gazza127
    I'm guessing he multi tables, to get 70bb/100 consistently you would have to be the world's biggest luckbox =)
  • edited June 2013
    That 50BB per hour tho is on the basis of 1tabling which

1) I know you don't do
    2) 50xBB per hour on 1table is a winrate that no1 in the world could maintain.

I've got a spreadsheet you can have where if you enter your sessions details it'll auto fill columns with your winrate etc
  • edited June 2013
    wouldn't worry about too much unless your pro

as long as your winning, all spends :)
  • edited June 2013
    Imo on a 6max table online you play about 80 hands per hour on average.

5bb/100 is a very decent winrate, and yeh 10bb/100 would be crushing. I know it sounds low but that's just the way it is, edges in poker are far smaller than people think. So if you're crushing 30NL regularly and 6table, then long term it's pretty good if you win say 1 BI per 3-4 hour session.... sucks doesn't it lol. Obv in reality it's more like sometimes yuo're 2 BIs down, sometimes yuo're 6 BIs up, but long term, that's the way it is in every format.

DYMs, if you crush you might have 10% ROI, so for every £5.50 game u win 55p and each one takes like 30+ mins and so on. Small edges in poker.

Obviously things change/reduce as you multi-table and that's why you gotta find that happy medium. This is a contrived example that probably would never happen cos a small increase in tables shouldn't do this to your winr ate BUT for example if you are running at 5bb/100 on 1table, then it's much better for your profit to be playing 2 tables if that means you only win 4bb/100 per table cos you're now winning 8bb/100, but if starting to 4table means your winrate drops down to 1.5bb/100, then you're only winning 6bb/100 now and so it's better to 2table (or get better at multi-tabling :p)

Also, when looking at things to do with winrates online, keep an eye out because a lot of things reference BB (as in big bet) because this was the norm when Limit games were most poker. Others refered to bb (as in big blinds) which is obv relevant to NL games and you.
  • edited June 2013
    5bb/100 sounds sounds small but in reality it isn't. at just 20NL thats £1/100 every hour, even if your only 6 tabling that's £5-£6 per hour tax free which is really good considering the stakes.
  • edited June 2013
    Alrite liam! I started taking note of every cash session earlier this year, i got a spreadsheet off the internet what works out all your total played hands, bb/100, hourly rate etc. Was pretty helpful for my game too seemed to do pretty well while recording all my sessions. Unfortunately since to a recent change in PC i havent got office (and **** paying loads for it) anymore so cant keep track anymore. If you wanted i could send you a link or to the website i downloaded it off.

As to your win rate this is a rough guideline......
    • 1 – 4 bb/100 = Great. A solid winrate if you can sustain it.
    • 5 – 9 bb/100 = Amazing. This is a very high winrate at any level. Consider moving up.
    • 10+ bb/100 = Immense. Very, very few have a winrate like this. You probably have a small sample size though.
    GL.
  • edited June 2013
    Alrite liam! I started taking note of every cash session earlier this year, i got a spreadsheet off the internet what works out all your total played hands, bb/100, hourly rate etc. Was pretty helpful for my game too seemed to do pretty well while recording all my sessions. Unfortunately since to a recent change in PC i havent got office (and **** paying loads for it) anymore so cant keep track anymore. If you wanted i could send you a link or to the website i downloaded it off. As to your win rate this is a rough guideline...... 1 – 4 bb/100 = Great. A solid winrate if you can sustain it. 5 – 9 bb/100 = Amazing. This is a very high winrate at any level. Consider moving up. 10+ bb/100 = Immense. Very, very few have a winrate like this. You probably have a small sample size though. GL.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    I downloaded a product called kingsoft spreadsheets its free and works exactly the same as excel and you can open up excel documents using it so if you still have it lying around you can just resume tracking using that spreadsheet.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: poker win rates? : I downloaded a product called kingsoft spreadsheets its free and works exactly the same as excel and you can open up excel documents using it so if you still have it lying around you can just resume tracking using that spreadsheet.
    Posted by benc
    Cheers mate!!!
  • edited June 2013
    cheers for responses guys I don`t have a speadsheet but i have been keeping track on my results for last 12 mths on a word document things like hours played,limits,profit/loss,bankroll starting that day,date,C4P and how many days a played in the monthand how many were losing and winning etc it is not as nice as a spreadsheet but I can understand it and it allows me to keep track of my results.

might try that kingsoft spreadsheets or lambert can you pm me the one you use if it works it out for me that be great.

also I usually play 6tables at one time cgoldie
  • edited June 2013

Would appreciate a PM Lambert with your spreadsheet, if that's ok.
     Thanks a lot.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah no worries guys. You can't send files via Sky PM, so could you both PM me your email address and I'll send it over tonight.

On the topic of MS Office being WAY too expensive, I second that and am way too tight to pay for it. There's also a piece of free software called Open Office (google it) that has an MS office equivelant of everything, so there's an Excel, Word, Access etc
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah no worries guys. You can't send files via Sky PM, so could you both PM me your email address and I'll send it over tonight. On the topic of MS Office being WAY too expensive, I second that and am way too tight to pay for it. There's also a piece of free software called Open Office (google it) that has an MS office equivelant of everything, so there's an Excel, Word, Access etc
    Posted by Lambert180
    The man knows that of which he speaks.
    I use OpenOffice, and also have a spreadsheet of monthly winnings if anyone wants one.

Solid thread imo.
  • edited June 2013
    MS Office is about the cost of one buy-in on a 25p/50p mastercash table.
  • edited June 2013

A question to those recording their sessions on a spreadsheet.

How do you know how many hands you've played per session on each table. 
     Is it simply a matter of physically counting all the hands one by one from your history.
     Or (please say there is) is there an easier and less tedious way.

• edited June 2013
    I took a snapshot of it, just so you can see what it looks like. Just for illustrative purporses I've highlighted some columns in red, these are the ones you have to manaually complete each session, everything else is auto filled by formulae.

As for number of hands, there are ways of doing it without just counting 1 by 1, but I still find it a bit too much of a pain and I'm lazy, so I just go on the assumption every session plays at 80 hands per hour. Sometimes it'll be more, sometimes less, but think 80/hour is pretty average.

http://tinypic.com/r/4hz7rl/5
  • edited June 2013

Looks ideal.

I've PM'ed you my e-mail address.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.
  • edited June 2013
     Looks ideal.  I've PM'ed you my e-mail address.  Appreciate the help.  Thanks.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    I've sent it :)
  • edited June 2013
    MS Office is about the cost of one buy-in on a 25p/50p mastercash table.
    Posted by FCHD
    Office for personal use is quite cheap these days
    and star office is good and free
    and smittys spreadsheet with his winnings is no doubt awesome
  • edited June 2013
    http://i44.tinypic.com/ohjlnq.png

Back when I used Excel, instead of OpenOffice
  • edited June 2013

Cheers Lambert,

Really appreciate.
  • edited June 2013
    http://i44.tinypic.com/ohjlnq.png Back when I used Excel, instead of OpenOffice
    Posted by Smitalos
    Bit below par post from you sir.

Your brags are normally amusing and have a little flair to them..
    Not, I won a load of dosh in January
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: poker win rates? : Bit below par post from you sir. Your brags are normally amusing. Not, I won a load of dosh in January
    Posted by Jac35
    Wasn't meant to be a brag. Was meant to be a demonstration of my Poker Accounts for those that might want a free copy.

If I really wanted to brag, do you think I'd use the one of me only winning 13k? ;)

(Ya see... THERE'S a brag :D)
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: poker win rates? : Wasn't meant to be a brag. Was meant to be a demonstration of my Poker Accounts for those that might want a free copy. If I really wanted to brag, do you think I'd use the one of me only winning 13k? ;) (Ya see... THERE'S a brag :D)
    Posted by Smitalos
    I'm sorry, you were being helpful and received critism.
    I was playing down the enormity of your usual winnings.
    I did consider that you must have had a bit of run bad that month.

• edited June 2013
    http://i44.tinypic.com/ohjlnq.png Back when I used Excel, instead of OpenOffice
    Posted by Smitalos
     That's a hell of a spreadsheet.
  • edited June 2013
  • edited June 2013
    Hi Liam 

If you want a free spreadsheet package, try Libre office. It is completely compatible with Microsoft. When you are signing up they ask for a donation. It's up to you whether you contribute or not. 

What interests me is how do peeps keep a tab on the number of hands played etc in a session, perhaps I am missing something. Seems like quite a manual task. Anyway heres a link and theres nothing nasty in this software. MS office is a rip off. 

• edited June 2013
    You can easily count your hands after each session. Say you play for for 3 hours, just look at you HH in say 45 min periods and add the totals. Takes less than 2 mins.
  • edited June 2013
    You can easily count your hands after each session. Say you play for for 3 hours, just look at you HH in say 45 min periods and add the totals. Takes less than 2 mins.
    Posted by splashies
    That sounds laborious given when I am cash grinding we are talking 6-8 hour sessions on 6 tables !