You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Football league winners 2013/4

edited September 2013 in Betting Chat
Just had my "to win the league bets"

Not included Chelsea who will win the Premiership.

Have gone for

Ipswich 20-1, dangerous as they are my team so will probably be doubly disappointed. However I am sure Mick McCarthy has got them sorted now and they were one of form teams as last season closed. Also he has got worse teams out of Championship.

Division 1 - Preston 16-1 who I did last year but now think this change of manager will work.  

Division 2 -Cheltenham 20-1 have done these last two seasons, surely their time will come.

Also included them in doubles and trebles.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    gl Father, bit too early for me to choose. Will wait for more transfer activity to happen before I commit.

At this early stage though my thoughts are Forest/Sheff U +(Oxford or Brizzle Rovers)

• edited June 2013
    Not sure who to go with in the Prem, with all the changes it could be very close!
    Championship I'm thinking QPR or Watford
    League 1 Sheff UTD or Wolves
    and League 2 Oxford (hate them!) or Cheltenham

No idea what the odds are yet, but I'll leave it a bit before I do any bets.
  • edited June 2013
    Think Newport County might be interesting at 35/1. Money is always a big factor and they have that lottery winner bloke backing them. Also along the same lines Pompey are as short as 4/1 and we are under very strict financial sanctions fron the league and have to pay off outstanding football debts before we can pay a penny in transfer fees. So although we are in the best position we've been in for a long time, our wage bill is set by the league and is well below many off the other teams who can budget to loose money where Pompey can't. 
  • edited June 2013
    You would have to think Chelsea are favourites for the Premier League but IF they actually sign Higuain and others, this could be the best chance Arsenal have had for years when you think of the top three all having new managers.

As for the Championship, I think QPR will be there or thereabouts and I can't see my beloved Leicester pulling up any trees (although i hope i'm wrong).

In League One, i think with Jackett in charge and they still have Premier League parachute payments, Wolves will walk the league and in League Two, i agree wiith an earlier post about Newport County. The Conference champs often do well in League Two straight away and I think they have the financial clout to aid them.

Only a few weeks to go! :)
  • edited June 2013
    bolton or charlton for Championship. notice walsall as one of the outsiders in league 1, can be backed at 40's, they were going great guns from Jan onwards i was thinking of them as winners at a price, unless someone who has better grasp of this division and or club can enlighten me if theres been any drastic changes?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Football league winners 2013/4:
    Just had my "to win the league bets" Not included Chelsea who will win the Premiership. Have gone for Ipswich 20-1, dangerous as they are my team so will probably be doubly disappointed. However I am sure Mick McCarthy has got them sorted now and they were one of form teams as last season closed. Also he has got worse teams out of Championship. Division 1 - Preston 16-1 who I did last year but now think this change of manager will work.   Division 2 -Cheltenham 20-1 have done these last two seasons, surely their time will come. Also included them in doubles and trebles.
    Posted by vaigret
    As  a PNR fan i.d never back against them but last year was just throwing momey down the drain. They dropped alot of recent years and reached an all time low (in recent times). Lost every decent player we had and had to play mainly the youth team, although some have come on i think they,ll do better this year but still can,t see them having the players or money to win it this season.

Hope i,m proved wrong tho - GL
  • edited July 2013
    Premier lge I will not bother betting on ab no value,I think stoke will struggle and 6/1 to get relegated I may be tempted.

Championship..I think reading at 10s are fantastic value ,Last yr they did ok and with them keeping the majority of there team and new additions I think they will be the champs,QPR will be there but not sure allthe changes they are going to go through will help there cause tbh.2nd spot I will punt on Leeds.

DIV 1..Wolves are worthy favs but again they will be making lots of changes and personally I don't think there as good as some believe,Posh will be in the mix but Bristol city are my tip to win with sheff utd and posh 2nd n 3rd.Another tip for me is Swindon to get relegated as the clubs financial affairs is in bits and at 5/1 that is value.

DIV 2..Well this is hard,Oxford have chances with there good squad and think Newport will do ok but my tip is Fleetwood now they have had one yr in the lge,Southend I HOPE will be in the mix and I can see Plymouth being up there this year.

FA CUP...Arsenal v Man city

LGE CUP..Chelsea v Aston villa

CHAMPS LGE FINAL...Bayern v Chelsea
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Football league winners 2013/4:
    Premier lge I will not bother betting on ab no value,I think stoke will struggle and 6/1 to get relegated I may be tempted. Championship..I think reading at 10s are fantastic value ,Last yr they did ok and with them keeping the majority of there team and new additions I think they will be the champs,QPR will be there but not sure allthe changes they are going to go through will help there cause tbh.2nd spot I will punt on Leeds. DIV 1..Wolves are worthy favs but again they will be making lots of changes and personally I don't think there as good as some believe,Posh will be in the mix but Bristol city are my tip to win with sheff utd and posh 2nd n 3rd.Another tip for me is Swindon to get relegated as the clubs financial affairs is in bits and at 5/1 that is value. DIV 2..Well this is hard,Oxford have chances with there good squad and think Newport will do ok but my tip is Fleetwood now they have had one yr in the lge,Southend I HOPE will be in the mix and I can see Plymouth being up there this year. FA CUP...Arsenal v Man city LGE CUP..Chelsea v Aston villa CHAMPS LGE FINAL...Bayern v Chelsea
    Posted by est1967
    I mentioned this in a different thread I started. They have started to sign a few players now, but they are all premier league youngsters who are unproven. Could go either way, but I expect downhill.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Football league winners 2013/4 : As  a PNR fan i.d never back against them but last year was just throwing momey down the drain. They dropped alot of recent years and reached an all time low (in recent times). Lost every decent player we had and had to play mainly the youth team, although some have come on i think they,ll do better this year but still can,t see them having the players or money to win it this season. Hope i,m proved wrong tho - GL
    Posted by MP33

Last year I backed them because a Tranmere supporter told me they nicked all their best players, what happens Tranmere did a lot better than Preston, Hoping this year you are wrong and that you and I will be pleasantly surprised LOL
  • edited July 2013

Wolves 7/2 to win a very very very very poor league 1, still getting parachute payments, and have brought in a really good manager, getting rid of that moron Saunders, who should never get another job at a football league club.

Reading 8/1 for c'ship for me, good club, good squad, always there or there abouts, Adkins knows how to get a team out of the division.  

No idea about league 2, will prob end up filling my quadrouple w/ Norhtampton again when Splashman convinces me they're guna go all season unbeaten.

Chelsea for the prem! Obv!!! :D
  • edited July 2013
    Wolves 7/2 to win a very very very very poor league 1, still getting parachute payments, and have brought in a really good manager, getting rid of that moron Saunders, who should never get another job at a football league club. Reading 8/1 for c'ship for me, good club, good squad, always there or there abouts, Adkins knows how to get a team out of the division.   No idea about league 2, will prob end up filling my quadrouple w/ Norhtampton again when Splashman convinces me they're guna go all season unbeaten. Chelsea for the prem! Obv!!! :D
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    As it stands we probably will make the playoffs at best.

HOWEVER!

Our local football writer has hinted at some HUGE news to be announced from the club on Thursday morning. He said it will change the club forever and is really, really, really good news.

Now, the rumour mill is in overdrive on the fans forum. I'm sure you can imagine most of it is way off the mark but someone on there is probably right.

We are currently 16 to 18/1 to win the league. If the news will affect things in the short term then I'm piling on when it comes through. If it's more long term good news then I'll probably leave it (ie stadium development) 

Anyway, hopefully I'll hear what the news is before the bookies, and if it lives up to all the hype, then we can all pile on :D

Like I said, as it is we will probably make the playoffs, so if the news will dramatically improve us on the field immediately, then 16 to 18/1 is massive value.

Will post as soon as I know.
  • edited July 2013
    I did the handicap betting last year where every team was either 15/1 or 18/1 depending on the size of league.
    Man Utd, Hull and Kidderminster did the business for me
    Man Utd was the first scratch team to win in all the time i've taken part!
    Normally discount the first 15 in the handicap and choose one from the remainder
    I placed a 5p e/w lucky 31 (1/4 odds 1,2,3,4) and picked up over £200 would have been double that but Kidderminster dead heated with newport county
    This Year my teams are
    Norwich
    Huddersfield
    Carlisle
    York
    Dartford
    All receive massive starts on the favourite teams and downhill with the wind behind them give me a sporting chance of placing
  • edited July 2013
    Just copying and pasting my bets for the season on here froma prevoius thread so i can keep a  count how much i,m losing

1st bets for season - To early for top goalscorer betting yet as mine normally get injured anyway before the start

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    Barclays Premier League
    ChelseaWinner 2013/143.5£15.00£37.50

On Skybet

£15.00
    1. Premier League Winner 13/14Chelsea @ 5/2

Maybe not to early for a punt on top scorer . had him last year and his season got disrupted when moving from Newcastle where he was on a run of goals and misssed out vital games for them after the move. 

In his first full season he will be up there unless he gets injured . also fancied Sturridge in his 1st full season at Liverpool and with Suarez already missing games looks like a chance but only 17/1. RVP fav as always 4/1 - due an injury tho

laced (matched)Order by Matched Date

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    Demba Ba46£2.00£90.00

Demba Ba46£2.00£90.00

Demba Ba44£3.00£129.00

• edited July 2013
    Well the news for Northampton Town has broken..............

Keep your money in your pockets :D

It is fantastic news for the club. Redevelopment of the ground will take place (after 8 years of rejection) to enable us to generate 24/7 income on the site. This includes a hotel built on the ground.

So that is fantastic news for us in the long run, but won't impact straight away on the pitch.

Secondly, COVENTRY CITY WILL BE PLAYING IN NORTHAMPTON for the next 3 seasons. I'm not fussed either way by this news, but it will increase our income over the period.

Really feel for the Coventry fans though, I can't imagine they're happy about it.

Still at least I can watch some league 1 football next season :D

• edited July 2013
    Premier League = Man Utd

championship = Nott'm Forest

League One = Wolves

League Two = Portsmouth

You heard it here 1st folks
  • edited July 2013
    Premier League = Man Utd championship = Nott'm Forest League One = Wolves League Two = Portsmouth You heard it here 1st folks
    Posted by courtswans
    Sorry mate Man u no chance
  • edited July 2013
    Right I've done my picks for the season.

First off, Bury @ 40/1 (skybet and Coral) to win league 2 is unreal value. They've signed 11 players so far, a few of whom wiould walk into most teams in the leagues. I expect them to score lots of goals this year.

Hughes and Cameron as a back two is the best partenrship in the league. 

Other signings of note, John Rooney, Chris Sedgewick, Tom Soares, Andy Proctor, Gareth Roberts and Ashley Grimes.

Champ - Bolton 9/1
    League 1 - Sheff U 10/1
    League 2 - Bury 33/1 (can't get the 40's on sky as I'm excluded)

£5 treble is worth ~ £17,000

£10 treble on all 3 to be promoted worth ~ £1700

But get on Bury, 

Donut where are you? Do you agree?

*personal note for where I've placed the bets, coz I'll forget (BF + BV)

• edited July 2013
    Man city defo winning prem unless man.u buy bale !

Fancy QPR to smash champinoship, maybe 100 points?

Mk dons my pick for promotion in League 1.  Solid

Portsmouth almost guranteed to win league 2.

England to win world cup.  Why not eh'  Wilshere the key man.

/>>>  Can't wait till this time next year for the smug luck on my face.
  • edited July 2013
    man utd 9/4 prem, get on now before they buy fabregas and bale.
    norwich to be relegated 5/2
    QPR 11/2 championship.

• edited July 2013
    I would give you 5-1 on Man U, they will definitely not win it and as I have said before unlikely to finish in first four.
  • edited July 2013
    Just give u lot one tip..... Watford...... That's all I'm saying

Edit:- have to justify my statement. Zola has managed to secure the services of all last years Italian imports, AND has gained one or two extra, EVEN BETTER ones. 
  • edited July 2013
    I would give you 5-1 on Man U, they will definitely not win it and as I have said before unlikely to finish in first four.
    Posted by vaigret
    lol, 5/1 to win it and they wont finish in the top 4. had a few beers tonight???
  • edited July 2013

Posted by vaigret

Including ALL your horse tips, four candle ratings, in fact any post you have ever made related to sports betting this is the one I really hope you are right with!

Man Utd out of the top four would be hilarious!! :)
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Football league winners 2013/4 : Including ALL your horse tips, four candle ratings, in fact any post you have ever made related to sports betting this is the one I really hope you are right with! Man Utd out of the top four would be hilarious!! :)
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    He'll get one right one day Brrrrrrr lol..... 
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: Football league winners 2013/4 : He'll get one right one day Brrrrrrr lol..... 
    Posted by joesman1
    thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Ok pushing it for out of top four especailly if Liverpool sell suarez as I would then have to rely on Spurs and who can rely on them.

But I am very happy with 5-1 Utd , they WILL NOT, NO WAY, Not in a month of Sundays win the league in 2013 /14. The only person who has kept them on track last two years is Ferguson and he has gone.

Even With BEST, Law and Charlton they could not keep it up when they lost Sir Matt and the same will happen this time. The only hope for United is that this time they dont get relegated within 3 years like they did last time a legend left the stage. 
  • edited July 2013
    HAHA OBVIOUS BY YOUR POSTS YOUR ANTI UTD .  EITHER THAT OR YOUR COMMENTS MUST BE TONGUE AN CHEEK.  HAHA ON A SERIOUS NOTE WHO IS GONNA REALLLY CHALLENGE THE CHAMPIONS . I  CANNOT SEE LITTLE CITY OR ARSENAL......SPURS AN LOSERPOOL FOR EUROPA  SO I PREDICT UTD AN CHELSKI RUN AWAY WITH IT . BY ABOUT 10 POINTS 
  • edited July 2013
    I made a bit of a boo-boo with my bet's. League 2 I was going to go with Cheltenham, but picked the other local team Bristol Rovers by accident, lol. So here's my bets

Man City
    Chelsea

QPR
    Reading

Sheff Utd
    Wolves

Oxford
    Bristol Rovers

Also did relegation, this is what I've gone with...

Hull
    Villa

Barnsley
    Yeovil

Swindon
    Shrewsbury

Wimbledon
    Newport
  • edited July 2013
    HAHA OBVIOUS BY YOUR POSTS YOUR ANTI UTD .  EITHER THAT OR YOUR COMMENTS MUST BE TONGUE AN CHEEK.  HAHA ON A SERIOUS NOTE WHO IS GONNA REALLLY CHALLENGE THE CHAMPIONS . I  CANNOT SEE LITTLE CITY OR ARSENAL......SPURS AN LOSERPOOL FOR EUROPA  SO I PREDICT UTD AN CHELSKI RUN AWAY WITH IT . BY ABOUT 10 POINTS 
    Posted by dappadon
    Not anti United at all although since the days of Denis Law I am not such a big fan of them as I used to be.

Just realistic, it will take time, if he gets enough, for Moyes to rebuild a team and all the others look strong. I dont disagree with you re Chelsea. See my first post on this thread.
  • edited July 2013
    Hull
    Millwall
    Swindon
    Morecambe

All to be Relegated, £5 returns £1300.