You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK facing 2 all ins. Call or fold??

edited July 2013 in The Poker Clinic
£11 BH , (i won the seat through the 7pm freeroll).

Only level 2, not noticed any maniacs at the table. Can i call here?, note that there are still 2 players to act after me!

Thoughts please.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
davelufc Small blind  15.00 15.00 1582.50
wi03 Big blind  30.00 45.00 1825.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

bar4004 Call  30.00 75.00 5127.50
chang698 Fold     
kebir Call  30.00 105.00 1470.00
heather222 Call  30.00 135.00 1355.00
davelufc Raise  210.00 345.00 1372.50
wi03 Call  195.00 540.00 1630.00
bar4004 Call  195.00 735.00 4932.50
kebir All-in  1470.00 2205.00 0.00
heather222 All-in  1355.00 3560.00 0.00
davelufc  ? 

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Meh, if you fancy a gamble go for it, it's pretty unlikely you'll be against AA/KK.

You got in through a freeroll, go win a flip and you're freerolling a profit with a decent stack :)
  • edited July 2013
    These two are overlimpers, so I'd be shocked if they had AA or KK. The only problem is that one could have one of your outs covered while the other has a pair.

Either way, I think the value is there for a call. Sometimes players limp AA or KK but how often do they overlimp with them? Not that often, I think, and there's loads of dead money.
  • edited July 2013
    Not easy
    limp Shove generally the near nuts
    over limp weakens the story
    but still ........
    No need to go to war at this stage
    I probably fold
  • edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Dave

Nice to see you got there through FR. TBH you need to catch and i'd be pretty sure that some of your aces or kings are involved here so feel your odds are less than they might be. I feel as its so early that taking a punt wouldn't be for me . I fold and prefer to drive the hands not look to catch as no doubt you needed to. Hope it went well m8.
  • edited July 2013
    Fold and high five a honey badger
  • edited July 2013
    I call here. 2 allins, and you're only really scared of AA/KK.

Admittedly, BL's point about one person having your outs covered with another having a pair is hugely likely. But it's also very very possible they have hands like 99-QQ, and are overvaluing.

I like your odds of an early triple up, with 2 bounties to boot. And with players to act behind that could get involved, hey- whatever, this is a dream spot IMO. You either bust and shrug, or get a massive chipboost that can let you dominate for the vast majority of the tournament, and give you a great shot at the win.

My point of view is it's far better to bust in the first level than let your chips bleed away and either end up bubble boy or just creeping in the money. You're way better off winning 1 in 10 tourneys and busting in the first level for the other 9, than creeping into the money 3/4 times out of 10 and never winning, and wasting many hours fruitlessly getting nowhere in tournaments.
  • edited July 2013
    I just cant get my chips in quick enouhg
  • edited July 2013
    Seems like a trivial fold to me.

If the two player behind us didn't cold call the iso then I'd be more inclined to call it off but basically its almost certain that some of your outs are gone.

• edited July 2013
    Why is it a trivial fold? Who says you *need* outs? Maybe you're the one taking their outs, if you're up against hands like AQ/AJ/KQ...I've seen shoves from worse. Or you could easily be up against two underpairs, again- people can shove any pair easily.
  • edited July 2013
    It's too much effort to explain why I'd fold and given the posts you already made you'd still not accept the explanation so I'm not going to bother.

The short version is basically: with the skill level of the typical player in these fields I can make an edge fold here. Having 40bb at bb30 is not much of an issue just a slight inconvieniance.
  • edited July 2013
    If you think you have >30% versus their range then it's a call

I feel nothing - it's just a maths game yo!
  • edited July 2013
    Cheers all, opinions seem split on this one!! I must admit, i was quite pleased when i saw the cards.

Fist pump turn card, then it all changed on the river... boooom!! Still got a bounty though.!!

davelufc Small blind  15.00 15.00 1582.50
    wi03 Big blind  30.00 45.00 1825.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

bar4004 Call  30.00 75.00 5127.50
    chang698 Fold     
    kebir Call  30.00 105.00 1470.00
    heather222 Call  30.00 135.00 1355.00
    davelufc Raise  210.00 345.00 1372.50
    wi03 Call  195.00 540.00 1630.00
    bar4004 Call  195.00 735.00 4932.50
    kebir All-in  1470.00 2205.00 0.00
    heather222 All-in  1355.00 3560.00 0.00
    davelufc Call  1275.00 4835.00 97.50
    wi03 All-in  1630.00 6465.00 0.00
    bar4004 Fold     
    davelufc All-in  97.50 6562.50 0.00
    wi03 Unmatched bet  257.50 6305.00 257.50
    davelufc Show
    • A
    • K

wi03 Show
    • A
    • Q

kebir Show
    • J
    • J

heather222 Show

Flop

Turn

• K

River

heather222 Win Three 4s 5765.00  5765.00
    davelufc Win Pair of Kings 540.00  540.00

3 hands later.........   Ak = pants!!
    chang698 Small blind  20.00 20.00 2445.00
    Richie_L Big blind  40.00 60.00 2112.50
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

heather222 Fold     
    davelufc All-in  252.50 312.50 0.00
    wi03 Fold     
    bar4004 Fold     
    chang698 Call  232.50 545.00 2212.50
    Richie_L Call  212.50 757.50 1900.00
    Flop

• Q

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    Turn

• J

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    River

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    davelufc Show
    • A
    • K

chang698 Show

Richie_L Muck
    • A

chang698 Win Pair of 2s 757.50  2970.00
  • edited July 2013
    Meh unlucky, these are the kinda hands I'd expect to be against, at least one worse Ax and flipping V pairs and I'd be happy to take that given the situation.

You got a head though, and got in for free so that's an ROI of infinity :)
  • edited July 2013
    True Lambert, thought i was in with a shout!!

Just noticed my exit hand while i was getting HH for this post,  3 hands later!!!

Some chips missing as i limped into a pot with K 10 o/s in between!!! lol my bad.

AK = pants!!!!
    chang698 Small blind  20.00 20.00 2445.00
    Richie_L Big blind  40.00 60.00 2112.50
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

heather222 Fold     
    davelufc All-in  252.50 312.50 0.00
    wi03 Fold     
    bar4004 Fold     
    chang698 Call  232.50 545.00 2212.50
    Richie_L Call  212.50 757.50 1900.00
    Flop

• Q

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    Turn

• J

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    River

chang698 Check     
    Richie_L Check     
    davelufc Show
    • A
    • K

chang698 Show

Richie_L Muck
    • A

chang698 Win Pair of 2s 757.50  2970.00
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: AK facing 2 all ins. Call or fold??:
    Meh unlucky, these are the kinda hands I'd expect to be against, at least one worse Ax and flipping V pairs and I'd be happy to take that given the situation. You got a head though, and got in for free so that's an ROI of infinity :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah, I'd have made the call too. I think it's fine.

What does Scope say about your ROI if you've only ever played and cashed in freerolls?
  • edited July 2013
    Meh unlucky, these are the kinda hands I'd expect to be against, at least one worse Ax and flipping V pairs and I'd be happy to take that given the situation. You got a head though, and got in for free so that's an ROI of infinity :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    you're happy to bust 75% of time vs those specific hands?
  • edited July 2013
    Well I wouldn't be expecting the call behind so I would expect to be 3 way V the JJ and 44 in which case we're 35% to triple up. I'm not a 'bounty hunter' but we also get 2 x bounties so about £10 (I assume they haven't taken any heads themselves) which is a bonus on top of the fact we already have the right price.

As it is, we go 4 way so we're now 26-27% to quadruple up and take 3 bounties (so £15ish).

I'm not one for just pure gambling early doors in an MTT but we're getting the right price and imo if we're a good player and win this race, we're in with a pretty amazing shout of crushing, taking a lot of heads and going really deep.

It's close like, and I don't hate folding but if we're rolled I reckon we can go for it to build a stack. FWIW, even in £11 BHs, I've seen some just plain embarrassing all ins and all in calls even @ 15/30 for the purposes of chasing bounties so I wouldn't be a complete shock if we saw something like AK v 77 v QJ v AT and the like quite often.
  • edited July 2013

Shame I saw this late, I personally think this is a fold but not because of the two all ins but because of the two behind. Wii is shortened himself and called your raise he pretty much is calling regardless and then if wii calls bar should call regardless of cards as the value is beautiful. I'm surprised you only got one call behind here tbh.

• edited July 2013
    If anything the 2 callers behind makes this more of a reason to call because of the potential dead money in the pot. OK if they both call then it's going to be 5 way and less chance of winning, but if you do win you now have a massive chip stack. And with AK you should have more than your fair share of equity.
  • edited July 2013
    Fair point but it is an MTT you need to preserve your tournament life the risk is too great IMO
  • edited July 2013
    Easy fold, Can't believe people are even contemplating anything differently.

Why take a (certain) flip when you can find a better edge later on in the tournament... Unless the level of your skill is only 50% flips.

Then snap call I guess.
  • edited July 2013
    I think Im with Lambert on this one.

I play alot of these B/Hs...
    +1 on the point about strange all ins in an attempt to win bounties.

+1 on the point about playing with a big stack in these tournies vs playing with a small stack. so much more likely to dominate, go deep and take alot of bounties. this is the decider for me. In bounty bunters the value of having a big stack is increased. If i lose, just buy into another and do the same again!

in a deeper stacked/slower/ no bounties tourney, it'd be a much easier fold.

• edited July 2013
    Easy fold, Can't believe people are even contemplating anything differently. Why take a (certain) flip when you can find a better edge later on in the tournament... Unless the level of your skill is only 50% flips. Then snap call I guess.
    Posted by ZD86

Sure, its high variance, but I still think its more profitable to be playing with a big stack and collect the bounties or busting over folding and grinding up a stack.
  • edited July 2013
    Wow... I can't believe this is even a thing, but here goes...

Do I want to enter a hand at this stage where I bust 75% of the time? If the reward is QUADRUPLING my stack and taking TWO bounties (a large portion of my entrance fee) then yes please!!! Every day of the week.

That is equity in action right there, you are being offered the perfect odds solely on chips if you had none in the pot already. With chips in the pot it swings further. With 2 bounties at stake it's a no brainer.

This doesn't even take into account the subtleties of having such a dominant chip stack when you win that you can bully people and cover almost anyone you enter a pot with, giving you a chance to tighten right up, play your premium hands, and stack people for more bounties.

The 3 in 4 times you bust REG FOR ANOTHER TOURNEY.

If it's the world series, or even a deepstack structure tourney, fold if you're insanely deep of course. You can afford to be patient and look for the perfect spot to get your chips in with no risk, and the reward of having a huge stack early stages is vastly diminished in those tourneys. But in fast BH structures a big stack early is worth a lot of risk. Some players simply ship all in every hand until they get called to either get a bounty and doubled stack early- I don't necessarily agree with that strategy, but you probably don't want to be TOO far from it either.
  • edited July 2013
    I've already said I think it's a call but I want to address another more general point about Bounty Hunters.

The bounties being added to the value of the call is a debatable topic. The fact is that each bounty you can claim at the start of the tournament is only worth roughly 1/3 of your buy-in. This means that the value of your own head is three times greater than the value of your opponents' heads. Just as importantly, making a call all-in risks not just your own head but the opportunities to win other heads in better spots in future. This should completely offset the apparent additional value of the bounty in any individual pot.

Therefore the value of a bounty should not turn a -cEV (Expected Chip Value) play into a +cEV play. Nor can it turn a slight +cEV play into a more +cEV play.

That's at least how I see it, meaning that the value of the bounties in this hand are irrelevant and we should concentrate solely on the cEV of the situation. I'm interested to hear arguments to the contrary, though.
  • edited July 2013
    @ deuceslive, i took a gander at your scope and well, it would seem taking early flips doesn't work for you does it? 

I'd take the 40bb and 4 tourneys open, then one tourney with ~160bb everytime. You seem to think having ~ 5k @ bb30 is going to be significant when in reality it really isn't that important. Just watch how often an early chip leader actually goes on to FT in these things, its not often unless they are just in super godmode obv.
  • edited July 2013
    @ deuceslive, i took a gander at your scope and well, it would seem taking early flips doesn't work for you does it?  I'd take the 40bb and 4 tourneys open, then one tourney with ~160bb everytime. You seem to think having ~ 5k @ bb30 is going to be significant when in reality it really isn't that important. Just watch how often an early chip leader actually goes on to FT in these things, its not often unless they are just in super godmode obv.
    Posted by NColley
    Exactly this
  • edited July 2013
    im with paul on this 1 dave i make the call
  • edited July 2013
    You're right, I haven't got a stellar tournament record. No arguments there, I have some leaks that need fixing- namely tilt related, getting bored when I'm not getting hands and starting to play too aggressively, levelling myself into hero calls and hero bluffs against people that will never fold, etc. I'm well aware of the fundamentals and advanced level of play, I just have to get myself to follow them. I also take prolonged breaks and take a while to ease myself back in.

But by all means, take the scope graph as something relevant to advice. If that's how you want it, both BL and Ivanovic agree with the call, and they're serious winning players. So their advice must be valid.

Regarding BH head equity, I agree with you BL that it's overrated, but I think it's still relevant. You say when you lose it stops you taking any further bounties- point taken. But when you win, you have a dominant chipstack that covers almost all your opponents, which means you have a much stronger chance of taking heads. Nothing worse than getting it all in and your opponent having 50 chips left, sparking the feeding frenzy resulting in someone else profiting from you busting them.

And if you think having a huge stack early in a BH isn't relevant somehow, then... well, whatever. The reason the early chipleader busts in these tourneys is because they play like an idiot and get lucky, but then have no idea what to do with the chips. If you get a good player that gets lucky early on, good luck getting those chips from them. They will carry on accumulating and bullying the table around unless they get unlucky.