You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New football comp?

edited February 2014 in The Football Corner
Hi guys, 

The new football season is just around the corner and we're after your help!

As you all know, over recent years we have ran the popular 'Goals, Goals, Goals' competition where we have asked you to guess the correct score and 1st goalscorer of a selected Premier League game.

This year, we want you to come up with a NEW promotion we can run on matchdays.

The best suggestion will gain a FREE SEAT in a £10,000 Primo event.

We look forward to hearing from you...

Comments

• edited July 2013
    A comp with 10 matches with correct scores and first goalscorers every week top 100 prediction win a seat... thanks stick £100 in my account
  • edited July 2013
    Could run something different and instead of predicting scores predict number of bookings or orners etc  in the featured games.

This might encourage non football fans to have a punt as requires far less knowledge and is just a bit of fun.  Also shows the wode range of other options there re to bet on in a football match and do not just need to be a wizz at football knowledge to stand a chance.

Tie breaker could be the usual first goal - or even first booking time.

Another idea - but more complex - could be a sky poker designated fantasy football competition.  Could be really basic and just focus on clean sheets, asissts and goals scored in the prem league.  The highest scoring individual for the weekend could get a main event seat and then runners up - say 5 get a mini seat.
    Could offer a weekly / monthly / end of season prize to encourage regular entering with the prizes increased in stature (£11 seat, £33, SPT seat etc)  Could even make it something like 100 sky poker points to do a transfer etc.  (I would happily use mine for this as always get a crazy bad beat if delve into a free role haha)

To be honest anything that joins my two favourite passions side by side is a result in my opinion (Dont tell the mrs I said that - be all sorts of trouble ;-)

All the best
  • edited July 2013
    freeroll based on featured game with variable starting stack

+1000 correct result ie home win
    +1000 correct score ie 1 - 0
    +1000 correct first scorer

etc etc

could vary game type too, home win timed. draw bounty hunter, away win standard nl etc
  • edited July 2013
    I think just keep it as simple as possible so anyone can take part.

Call it 'Win, Lose or Draw'

You pick (for example) 5 matches from the weekend, everyone has to put in their guess as to whether it will be a draw, or which team they think will win for each match. Most correct guesses wins :)
  • edited July 2013
    Guess the time of the first goal scored in a particular match, closest wins, if anyone gets it exactly maybe the reward could be greater?
  • edited July 2013
    Some great ideas here guys!

We'll have to see how we can work them in tersm of admin but will get back to you before the season starts.

In the meantime, keep them coming!!
  • edited July 2013
    This idea could be abit time consuming for you guys at Sky but here goes.

Select a match for the weekend like you did for 'Goals, Goals, Goals' instead of the option of 1st goalscorer and scoreline, just have people select Home/Draw/Away. All those that get it correct put them into a freeroll for whatever the prize is. Edited posts obviously count as forfeits.

Edited: Sorry, didn't see Lambo had posted a similar idea. Just went to post straight away. 
  • edited July 2013
    Could do a season long comp to find the 'perfect' team. Eg, 5 points for goal scored, -3 goal conceded, -2 for yellow cards, -4 for red cards. 10 pts clean sheet, and then like 3 other aspects of the game eg, corners,shots on target, assists 5 points per event to who has the highest. The points would be given and taken from the teams playing each other directly not just awarding and taking points from nowhere.  bit complicated!! haha (brainstorm)
  • edited July 2013
    Also a 'good cop bad cop' one where player to be sent off and score in same game!
  • edited July 2013
    First Goalscorer and Time of first goal (e.g 0-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc), With a big prize for anyone who gets both. and Small prize for anyone who guesses one of them.

Also when predicting top goalscorer would be good to give a freebet at the skybet odds of the relevant scorer, to stop everyone predicting the same players.
  • edited July 2013
    A smaller version of the 'perfect team' one could be just done every weekend and teams are always against each other so points are taken from each other. The team that has the most points at the end of the weekend is that weeks perfect team.
  • edited July 2013

Double Game Prediction Competition

Pick a feature Saturday game. Predict the result. ie home win/away win/draw.
    All those correct will then have to predict the result of the Sunday selected game or Monday night game/mid week game.

Actually, selections could also be made at the same time and then the thread can be 'locked' by the Sky employee before KO of the 1st selected game.

If numerous winners, one gets picked at random for a large prize or all winners receive a poker tournament token up to a value of Sky's choosing.
  • edited July 2013

Hi,
        FOOTBALL BINGO

Give everyone a bingo card 5x5 with every space taken by a random chosen team. (middle one free).  Then you decide if they will win, lose or draw. Prizes for all lines up, down, corner to corner or the 4 corners. If you get full house then maybe a bonus prize like a Sky hoodie.

N.B just a quick note. do Sky want like last year lots of £10 winners or just 1 winner per week.

Cheers Eddie.

• edited July 2013

.....An after thought to my idea.

Perhaps actually go for 3 games instead of 2  and call it something like................

'Hatrick Poker'.......'Hatrick prediction game'.........'3 of a kind football prediction game'.
  • edited July 2013
    Sky to pick one match from each league:
    Premiership
    Championship
    League 1
    League 2
    Conference

We have to guess the correct result or score to win.
  • edited July 2013

I think there should be a fixed selection of games a week (6 games perhaps) and the punter has to guess the total amount of goals scored in all of the games, (for example, 27 goals scored in total) and if there is a tie, then golden goal, and the winner is the one who predicts when the 1st goal of the day is scored.

• edited July 2013
    to celebrate SKY BET sponsoring the Football League fromt his season onwards, think it's important to include Football League clubs in any weekly challenge. 

a 5 or 6 match 'mythical' list where as an example you pit a premiership club against a football league club based on the fixture list that weekend and you take HOW MANY GOALS THAT TEAM SCORES in their actual match , choosing HOME AWAY OR DRAW

e.g 

WEST HAM host Cardiff on Aug 17th in the Premiership, while Derby play LEICESTER in the Championship.

so the 1st mythical game on the list would be WEST HAM V LEICESTER. 

WEST HAM beat Cardiff 1-0 , while Derby and LEICESTER play out a 2-2 draw. 

for the purposes of this game, all about the amount of goals scored ONLY, you would have a mythical result of

WEST HAM 1 - 2 LEICESTER  

therefore anyone who has put down an away win in the context of this mythical fixture would win

you can mix it up and have teams from all leagues involved 

further examples

MAN UTD 3 - 1 Stoke       HARTLEPOOL 4 - 2 Plymouth       therefore the result is MAN UTD 3 - 4 HARTLEPOOL

Northampton 4 - 1 OXFORD UNITED   Swindon 0 - WOLVES 1    anyone who has marked this MYTHICAL GAME a DRAW would be correct as its OXFORD 1 - 1 WOLVES 

just something different and has no significant bearing on any teams results, just how many goals they can net! plus a chance to see some mythical fixtures which may not be possible in reality for a while yet! 
  • edited July 2013
    MYTHICAL MATCH LIST BASED ON ABOVE              

1      2      X 

LIVERPOOL V SCUNTHORPE                   2   
    NEWCASTLE V BRISTOL CITY                          X
    AFC WIMBLEDON V ARSENAL            1
    BURTON V WATFORD                                     X
    NORTHAMPTON V BLACKBURN                 2
    NEWPORT V MAN CITY                                   X

LIVERPOOL DREW THEIR REAL GAME V SUNDERLAND  2-2 , SCUNTHORPE WON 1 NIL, THEREFORE LIVERPOOL BEAT SCUNTHORPE IN THIS 'MADE UP' ENCOUNTER 2-1, AND AS I HAVE PREDICTED AN AWAY WIN THIS SELCECTION IS A LOSER TO ME , BUT I ENDED UP GUESSING FOR TALKS SAKES 3 CORRECT MYTHICAL RESULTS OUT OF THE LIST SO I'LL SEE WHERE I SIT COME THE END OF THE MATCHDAY WITH A SCORE OF 3/6 CORRECT

• edited July 2013
    All the posts have merits but this would be easier and could generate a bit of a rollover to create greater value prizes each week.

Easy option: Pick the Premier League matches that have the quickest goal scored and the latest goal scored (with 0-0 scorleines not counting).

A prize if someone gets both right and a smaller prize if someone gets one right - a rollover if nobody gets both answeres correct.

Hard option: Quickest and latest goals scored across all four English leagues, which would definitely get a regular rollover.
  • edited August 2013
    Something nice and easy please, so anyone with no real knowledge of the game can partake.

If it wouldn't be too difficult to compile guesses etc, how about this...

People enter their correct score prediction for any premiership game being played the day the comp is running.
    The person who wins the comp is the person who predicted the correct score with the highest odds. For example, someone picking Man Utd to win 2-0 at home [and they did] at odds of 2/1 would not win if someone predicted Cardiff to win 5-0 away [and they did] at odds of 100/1.

The prize being that whoever predicted the highest odds result which came in, would win the proceeds as if they had placed a £5 [or whatever] bet on said prediction.

Sure, most weeks, it'll be a 10/1 winner or thereabouts, but it's a real comp, with a genuine great prize when a fluke result comes in.

Of course, if SKY didn't want to have the possibility of paying out a £500 prize every week, then maybe the winner would win an entry to one of the major weekly tournaments.
  • edited August 2013
    Keep it simple name the first and last  teams to score in the Premiership
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: New football comp?:
    Keep it simple name the first and last  teams to score in the Premiership
    Posted by Telmison74
    Sounds familiar..... good idea! :)
  • edited August 2013
    Hows about a comp with local rivalry as the twist? 
    predict the number of goals each of these rivals will score at the weekend and have the total number of all five as your tie break

Arsenal & Chelsea

Manchester City & Utd

Liverpool & Everton

Cardiff & Swansea

Newcastle & Sunerland

For my example 
                           Arsenal 3 Chelsea 2 =         London 5

Man City 2 United 2 = 4      Manchester 4

Liverpool 0 Everton 2 =2      Mersey 4

Cardiff 1 Swansea 2 = 3       Wales 5

Newcastle 0 Sunderland 0 = 0 Toon &Tyne  0

Total goals = 14
  • edited August 2013
    My Theory is keep the name, but change the game!!

The New Goals, Goals, Goals

Simply predict the premier league match with the most goals.

Tie break - Guess the amount of goals in your chosen match

Rollover if more than one match has the highest amount of goals.

First posted entry wins.

edit, could even add in time of first goal to allow, as when big teams play at home to minnows, most people would probably pick them!!

Simples!! :-)
  • edited August 2013
    why not do something similar to lawro's predictions on bbc/ sky sports super 6? I.e get a selection of matches and then you have to guess the score for each match. if you get the result right you get 1 point and if you get the right score you get 3 points. person with most points wins.
  • edited August 2013
    Pick 10 teams in total.

4 teams to score 1

3 teams to score 2

2 teams to score 3

1 team to score 4

BIG prize for all predictions exactly correct. Smaller prizes for predictions scoring more than the amount predicted but at least that amount.

e.g U predict Arsenal to score 4 but they get 5 and all ur others come in then u win smaller prize.
  • edited August 2013
    Why don't you run a 'Last Man/Person Standing' competition. Everyone picks a Premier League team to win each week and if your team doesn't win you are eliminated. it goes on until the Last Man/Person is Standing! There will probably have to be some sort of tie breaker at the end. If it comes to it, you could predict the number of goals scored in that weeks games or bookings or something.
  • edited August 2013
    hi this is my 1st posting...
    i like dinmidoshes idea..but why leave out villa and west brom...plenty of us midlanders out there!!

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: New football comp?:
    My Theory is keep the name, but change the game!! The New Goals, Goals, Goals Simply predict the premier league match with the most goals. Tie break - Guess the amount of goals in your chosen match Rollover if more than one match has the highest amount of goals. First posted entry wins. edit, could even add in time of first goal to allow, as when big teams play at home to minnows, most people would probably pick them!! Simples!! :-)
    Posted by Mintman33
    Right guys, 

The above post is the WINNER! For the BRAND NEW "Guess the Goals" Here's what will happen (A seperate thread will be set up next week for you to enter):

We want you to guess which PREMIER LEAGUE game will have the most goals in it that weekend.

There is £50 in the pot which will be split between all the people who guess correctly (one guess per person

So the more people who guess correctly, the less return you will get, however, if you are the only person to guess it, you'll scoop the full £50!

What do you all think?

This weekend, for the Community Shield, we'll be running Goals, Goals, Goals as normal though!

We'll be setting the thread up very soon!

This is just a trial for now and we'll see how popular it is.

Mintman33 - You've been entered into this Sunday's £10,000 Primo!

Cheers,
    Jordan
  • edited August 2013
    I think your gonna get a lot of people sharing the £50 each week,i would of gone total goals scored over Saturday and Sunday's games.