You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

folding AA

Comments

• edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA:
    Paul out of interest, what is the probability of Aces holding against two PPs, say KK AND TT?
    Posted by bbMike
    It depends on suits but AA is a 66% fav v those 2 hands.
  • edited July 2013
    Sounds like a good fold then FlashFlush in that SPT! I'll add this to the discussion then, who when they are dealt AA has to consider their move and then get a sinking feeling until the hand plays off and you win. However when being dealt KK, there is no such drama and it's an immediate all-in because in your experience you very rarely lose with Kings! That's my story with Aces!
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    Lol I can honestly say I dont get this at all. Give me AA over KK any day of the week :)
  • edited July 2013
    Here's 1 for you... AA v QQ v 6h,7h

AA is 60%

If there is an Ah and a Qh shown you are still 20% chance with 6,7 and only 18% with QQ
    If neither of their pair's have hearts you are as much as 22% with 6,7 and the QQ is 17%.

OK that's off topic slightly, but they are interesting figures that you can get from that site.
  • edited July 2013
    Boom! 66% - I nailed it (nearly)!  So I posted a valid question, which was querying whether anyone's responses would change if more people were all-in in front of you.  Your win % is decreasing, but obviously there's a chance to accumulate a serious serious stack.

e.g. only 56% against AKs, QQ and TT.

Looking at that particular example it's never a fold! But what about 5 all-ins just outside of cashing positions??

• edited July 2013
    Here's 1 for you... AA v QQ v 6h,7h AA is 60% If there is an Ah and a Qh shown you are still 20% chance with 6,7 and only 18% with QQ If neither of their pair's have hearts you are as much as 22% with 6,7 and the QQ is 17%. OK that's off topic slightly, but they are interesting figures that you can get from that site.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Interesting, and thanks for the link tip, very useful.

We might yet get an interesting debate from this thread!!
  • edited July 2013
    Lambert, I wish Aces were as lucky for me too. When players go out with Aces, you'll see people writing, "Curse of the Aces again" or similiar. Never hear that about Kings though.
  • edited July 2013
    That's purely because people get AA and think 'ok I've won the hand now'. People seem to think AA are just unbeatable, that they'll win 100% of the time, or that you can do all kinds of stupid stuff like limp to disguise them, then wonder why the guy in the BB who got a free flop with 8To has knocked them out.

People know KK can lose quite easily cos any Ax has a pretty good chance of winning.
  • edited July 2013
    Here's a fold AA pre-flop scenario for you;

In a DYM it's the bubble, you are on the BB with 2970 chips. Your three opponents all hold exactly 3010 chips each. The UTG player shoves, then the button and the SB both call.

It would be foolish to call with your AA. If you fold you will cash unless there's an extremely unlikely 3-way chop, something that'll probably only happen if all three of them play the board. Then even if they do chop you're still alive with 2970 chips less one big blind. Your elimination on the bubble is many times more likely if you call with your aces than if you fold.
  • edited July 2013
    if you ever folding AA pre in an mtt you need to retire. i wouldnt fold them under any circumstance no matter how big a tournament or whether i was on the bubble. play to win or go play a dym in my opinion.
  • edited July 2013
    the rock u would fold in a sattelite if top 10 qualify and 11 left 

and ya 2nd in chips and ya sat next to a guy thats got u covered there would be no need to play the hand u locked up ya seat  certain scenarios u can fold aa that is 1
  • edited July 2013
    the rock u would fold in a sattelite if top 10 qualify and 11 left  and ya 2nd in chips and ya sat next to a guy thats got u covered there would be no need to play the hand u locked up ya seat  certain scenarios u can fold aa that is 1
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    yeah in a sat in certian situations but never ever in a gtd mtt.
  • edited July 2013
    yeah well in a wsop bubble i would :p 

• edited July 2013
    I know this has morphed a bit from the OP, and now we're back to 'if you're folding AA pre anywhere but a satellite or other flat pay structure the you're out of your BR depth' yawn statements, I'll have one last go at trying to make it a tiny bit interesting...

1. With 3 players all-in, and knowing you're just 55% to win but would scoop 4x your stack do you ALWAYS snap call in an MTT?

2. Suppose your reads tell you due to betting pre one oppo DEFINITELY holds AA too. Can you find the fold here when he's all-in vs one other or are you happy to get a chop (taking 1/2 stack of other guy) vs a 20% chance you lose. Can you sit and watch the other guy take the pot if you fold?

Now I don't expect these questions to stimulate lengthy debate just trying to eek something else out of a thread that began 'I fold AA pre coz they always lose, and look it was a great fold'.
  • edited July 2013
    if you ever folding AA pre in an mtt you need to retire. i wouldnt fold them under any circumstance no matter how big a tournament or whether i was on the bubble. play to win or go play a dym in my opinion.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Congratulations, you have contradicted yourself again. That actually takes some doing!

In future you might be better to consider all eventualities that are theoretically possible before posting your viewpoint. It will save you either contradicting yourself, or having to add loads of caveats.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA : Congratulations, you have contradicted yourself again. That actually takes some doing! In future you might be better to consider all eventualities that are theoretically possible before posting your viewpoint. It will save you either contradicting yourself, or having to add loads of caveats.
    Posted by calcalfold
    here you go again mr big big mouth getting clever with people. the original post is about an mtt, not a satalite, 
    i said i would never fold AA in an mtt so where have i contradicted myself???
  • edited July 2013
    I fold AA everyday........... but not preflop ;)
  • edited July 2013
    OP..... LOL snap call

Folding AA in general, post flop, easy just click fold!  Pre flop, never unless already mentioned on bubble in a flat satellite structure.
  • edited July 2013
    Folding any hand in an MTT/SnG which is typically +EV, is always ICM dependant. Arguing the semantics is just stupid imo.

On the bubble of a DYM, when there's an all-in and a call in front of you? Yeah, almost definitely a fold.

In ANY cash game situation pre-flop? Almost never fold. (The Loose Cannon on The Big Game making arguably a correct fold pre-flop with Aces). See - Kelly Criterion

The stone-bubble of the WSOP ME, you have AA on an AVG stack, when the min-cash is worth more than your entire bankroll? Urgh, we're gunna be here a while.

Just like we say in life, guys.
    Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence.

Yes, there are situations where it's "right" to fold Aces pre. Just don't go making a habit of it, unless you hate money, orrrrrr... you're playing me. ty <3
  • edited July 2013
    I know this has morphed a bit from the OP, and now we're back to 'if you're folding AA pre anywhere but a satellite or other flat pay structure the you're out of your BR depth' yawn statements, I'll have one last go at trying to make it a tiny bit interesting... 1. With 3 players all-in, and knowing you're just 55% to win but would scoop 4x your stack do you ALWAYS snap call in an MTT? 2. Suppose your reads tell you due to betting pre one oppo DEFINITELY holds AA too. Can you find the fold here when he's all-in vs one other or are you happy to get a chop (taking 1/2 stack of other guy) vs a 20% chance you lose. Can you sit and watch the other guy take the pot if you fold? Now I don't expect these questions to stimulate lengthy debate just trying to eek something else out of a thread that began 'I fold AA pre coz they always lose, and look it was a great fold'.
    Posted by bbMike
    I had a good double with AA about 40 hands back and next time ive been dealt them in same tourney they've killed me so always stuck to the folding them if someone else as gone all in otherwise would of just 3x raise but folding them was right choice and in the end
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA : I had a good double with AA about 40 hands back and next time ive been dealt them in same tourney they've killed me so always stuck to the folding them if someone else as gone all in otherwise would of just 3x raise but folding them was right choice and in the end
    Posted by screwy27
    you actually are not wired up rite. this is so unbelievably stupid it hurts.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA : you actually are not wired up rite. this is so unbelievably stupid it hurts.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    so you win all the time with AA ?? i knock myself out of mtt more with it by going all in with it
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA : so you win all the time with AA ?? i knock myself out of mtt more with it by going all in with it
    Posted by screwy27
    no i dont win all the time with AA, thats just not possible, but you win a hell of a lot more times than you lose with it. not my opinion just a simple mathematic fact. say someone goes all in against you and you hold AA, you make the call he turns over KK, your round about an 80% fav in this hand why would you want to fold here??? becuase he wins 1 time in 5. cmon mate give your head a wobble.
  • edited July 2013

kk was turned over and did AA  so that was the 1 in 5 so I was correct in folding them, and AA doesn't win 4 out of 5 ,and simple mathematics fact don't apply on here , how many times have your AA KK QQ lost to 23 or 56 78 or Q5suited ? more than what it wins, you like AA I don't

• edited July 2013
    kk was turned over and did AA  so that was the 1 in 5 so I was correct in folding them, and AA doesn't win 4 out of 5 ,and simple mathematics fact don't apply on here , how many times have your AA KK QQ lost to 23 or 56 78 or Q5suited ? more than what it wins, you like AA I don't
    Posted by screwy27
    lol, pm if you need to speak to a good doctor cos i know one, theres help for every one, you included.
  • edited July 2013
    I was going to try and be rational here and explain why you shouldn't fold AA, but judging by your replies you're just another player who is in the totally wrong mindset for poker and have no interest in listening to the FACTS that everyone is telling you so I'll save my time.

p.s don't fold AA preflop for gawd sake!
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: folding AA : so you win all the time with AA ?? i knock myself out of mtt more with it by going all in with it
    Posted by screwy27
    I'll put money on the fact you have been knocked out of tournaments more playing AA than you have been playing 7,2. Why? Because you will of gone all in with AA 100 times and maybe lost 20 (I bet you don't remember the 80 you won), yet you have probably never gone all in with 7,2 so have never been knocked out with it. Does it mean 7,2 is better? No... law of averages my friend.
  • edited July 2013
    Head....meet brick wall.
  • edited July 2013
    Think about the next sentence before saying what is the little luckbox on about.....If you win with AA v any hand all in pre, you have run above ev as a one off occurrence. People think its aces its the best hand they should win everytime.

From my experience, players who say my AA always gets beat fall into 2 categories

1. Selective memory, they forget the times they win with it
    2. They play their hand awfully as they have AA and it must win every time. This tends to mean they pay little attention to the flop and get carried away with AA quite often in a spot where its obvious to their opponent that they have a large pair in their hands therefore giving them great implied odds as they know it wont be folded.
  • edited July 2013
    I'll chip in. If we're talking an MTT, you can practically never fold AA pre-flop. There is an argument that when there are 6 all ins ahead of you - you are then below 50% chance of winning - I have never seen that occurrence, and will discount it as statistically so ulikely as to be ignored.
    If it's the WSOP main event bubble? Shouldn't you play every tournament the same - regardless of the buy-in? If you're playing a tournament outside your roll, you may play differently....substitute "differently" for "badly". Yes, you may have satellited in for a fiver, but that should not play on your mind. A chip is a chip - it doesn't know the buy-in. A double-up is a double-up. Go for it.
    The only exception I can see here, is the chip and chair, and 3 people are all-in and so you will probably min cash by folding the AA. Again, that happens vanishingly rarely, and we can keep our brains in gear (I once came 2nd in a Sky main event with 1BB when 4 people on my table went all in before the blinds got to me - yes, I'd have folded AA there).
    Of course, in STTs and satellites it's different. You play the chip-stacks, not your cards.
  • edited July 2013
    ok your all right sorry for folding it and being be proved right by folding...when you play on this site you get to learn it....but il say no more