You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Timebank - yes or no?

Inspired by this thread (which seems to divide people)....

Comments

• edited August 2013
    A time bank would be good but not a long one. More than fifteen extra seconds would be too much.... and it would not be good in tournaments such as turbos, satellites or timed tournies.

It would be of some use in cash games and freezeout tournies with reasonably long structures.

So it's a qualified yes.
  • edited August 2013
    Anyone who needs more time then play less tables. Dont slow it down for everyone else.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no?:
    Anyone who needs more time then play less tables. Dont slow it down for everyone else.
    Posted by ajs4385
    How many tables do you play? I thought you played a fair few but maybe I'm wrong! I play 3-4 tables almost always which imo is not too many tables but given that I play fairly loose there can be times when I'm playing a hand on all 4 tables and sometimes it would be nice to have a couple seconds longer so I can make better decisions. Most of the time I'm fine though, so I don't think I should drop down the tables I play.

Obviously if someone is choosing to play 8-10 tables and can't manage, I don't have much sympathy for them! But a timebank would be good for times where you have an important decision to make and need a little more time to think. I think someone's suggestion of timebank being a reward for when you play quick is a good idea. That way, it won't slow down the games at all since people will want to make decisions quicker in general to give them time when they have a harder decision.
  • edited August 2013
    sometimes you are put in a really tough spot, and need more than 15 seconds to think about it. I like the way stars do their timebanks - you get a one off timebank, a few seconds at added at scheduled intervals, such that when its gone it slowly regenerates over time.

because the timebank isnt regenerated each hand you find it is only used when it is actually needed. if it was activated automatically it would give a few extra seconds for those that get disconnected too...
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by ajs4385
    what a dumb comment. 
  • edited August 2013
    id love a timebank, i usally never need to use a timebank but sometimes your put in a really awkward spot in an mtt and you just need a little bit longer before deciding what to do.
  • edited August 2013
    kinda undecided on this.

yes you get the few times where a little extra would be handy for the really tough decisions but I cant help thinking it would become abused, more so in tourneys around the bubble. I know h4h is there but that still doesn't stop people running the timer down every hand and if a timebank was there to be used it could become quite infuriating.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : what a dumb comment. 
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Hows it dumb my concern the games will be slowed down.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : How many tables do you play? I thought you played a fair few but maybe I'm wrong! I play 3-4 tables almost always which imo is not too many tables but given that I play fairly loose there can be times when I'm playing a hand on all 4 tables and sometimes it would be nice to have a couple seconds longer so I can make better decisions. Most of the time I'm fine though, so I don't think I should drop down the tables I play. Obviously if someone is choosing to play 8-10 tables and can't manage, I don't have much sympathy for them! But a timebank would be good for times where you have an important decision to make and need a little more time to think. I think someone's suggestion of timebank being a reward for when you play quick is a good idea. That way, it won't slow down the games at all since people will want to make decisions quicker in general to give them time when they have a harder decision.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    On average I am on 6 tables, playing highest 6 max cash games going most days for last 4 years. Never needed a timebank.

Whatever happened to you ivan. If i remember rightly you where a 1/2 reg back in 2009
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : Hows it dumb my concern the games will be slowed down.
    Posted by ajs4385
    thats like me now telling you to play more tables if you think its too slow with a timebank.
  • edited August 2013
    It doesnt affect me in the slightest if the games are slowed as I dont notice it as I multi table.

The ones who are affected are the 1 tabling recreational players who fund this site.

I highly doubt these players will be voting in this poll.

Any changes in software should primarily be made with people who spend money on poker in mind.
  • edited August 2013
    It doesnt affect me in the slightest if the games are slowed as I dont notice it as I multi table. The ones who are affected are the 1 tabling recreational players who fund this site. I highly doubt these players will be voting in this poll. Any changes in software should primarily be made with people who spend money on poker in mind.
    Posted by ajs4385
    so you're issue is that the one tabling recreational player who pays you're wages may get bored with a timebank and bog off to anther site.

i wouldnt worry about that because all other sites have timebanks so there not going stop playing on here because of it.

• edited August 2013
    It was my naivety in not knowing how timebanks work on other sites that probably bumbled my way into thinking that they should be 'earnt' by being quick normally.

For what its worth i only play small stakes but am pretty loose and i only play 4-6 tables depending on how the tables are playing at the time. I very very rarely need the timebank but a small delay sometimes when you're trying to work the hand out in a weird spot could make a big difference. Normally i am very quick with my decision making but i sometimes fold the winning hand due to not having enough time to work the hand back and figure out the villains range, stack etc. 

Dunno how it would be calculated but something like.....
    (decisions made in under 'x' seconds) x ('y' number of decisions made in under 'x' seconds) = 'z' seconds added to time bank up to a maximum of say 10 seconds.

As for it affecting bubble's then surely going hand to hand across the tables would be the way forward?

I understand ajs point of view also but if its worked out properly then it should'nt really slow it down that much. On the old software some players have worked out how to slow it down anyway. When the timebar turns red and creeps down. Happens alot in micro stakes stuff. Can be infuriating when the same player does it over and over again.

I think its well worth a trial if nothing else.
  • edited August 2013
    I know this is only for cash players at the moment but looking forward to tournies, imo, one 15 second timebank over a tourney that may last 3-4 hours seems like a good move to me. It is hard sometimes when it's for your tournament life, if you can you always want to make the correct decision and this would help.
  • edited August 2013
    It doesnt affect me in the slightest if the games are slowed as I dont notice it as I multi table. The ones who are affected are the 1 tabling recreational players who fund this site. I highly doubt these players will be voting in this poll. Any changes in software should primarily be made with people who spend money on poker in mind.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I'm a one-table recreational player and I have voted in this poll.
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by ajs4385

Hi mr selfish welcome back. It's good of you to be so focused on getting the best for sky as usual.

In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no?:
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : what a dumb comment. 
    Posted by THEROCK573

watch out he's a favourite and you'll get banned for pointing out obvious truths.

In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : Hows it dumb my concern the games will be slowed down.
    Posted by ajs4385

then why do you timebank down a tonne just 6 tabling? remembering ofcourse that you're yet to put any money in the pot on any kind of regular basis.

if anyone hasn't played with ajs imagine if you will howard lederer, and then hearing him complain about how nitty the games are....

In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : On average I am on 6 tables, playing highest 6 max cash games going most days for last 4 years. Never needed a timebank. Whatever happened to you ivan. If i remember rightly you where a 1/2 reg back in 2009
    Posted by ajs4385

you still haven't played a hand, nor have you gone past the flop with a set hence you've never thought about anything in your life. 8 ish seconds to make a move when you're potentially playing £1k pots is a joke.

Posted by ajs4385

are these the same people who pay your mortgage and you berate?

this ofc was a really good suggestion from someone desperate to help the site as usual

"dont like idea of timebank, if anything reduce time on decisions"

it's hard to decide how big to make it pre with aces and fold the rest that slowly isn't it.

It's lucky for the site there are such kind and generous intelligent regs piping up with their opinions, let us know when you stop sitting out at 6 max tables* saying 'you dont play hu when super multitabling because you know you don't like to mix your two vast skill sets'

*where the disclaimer is unless there's a non shoe tying opponent obviously

let us know when these 'biggest games on sky' run and how you sit there till the end and are always the last man standing rather than the one to leave within 1 second of a recreational player sorry mortgage payers chips being lost.
  • edited August 2013
    Yes here.

15 seconds would be fine, perhaps one per hour in a tourney

Cash could be, once used it takes 500 hands for it to be restored.
  • edited August 2013
    I defo think a small time bank is a good addition to the the new software, nobody is asking for ages just a little extra will benefit the majority of players.
  • edited August 2013
    Beaneh - dont know what your on about but I dont have a mortgage.
  • edited August 2013
    ok one good post out of 346. touche
  • edited August 2013
    The short amount of time given for decisions is the only thing that stops me playing at Sky every day and keeps me playing and raking at the market leading provider. I'm super serious. I find it veryhard to play my A-game when under this pressure.

I have also just realised different tables have different timers. £4NL has about 12 seconds and £200NL has about 20 seconds. Can Sky please confirm I have measured this correctly and also tell us why they decide to give beginners less time?

The market leading poker provider spends lots of money researching it's market and believes time banks are needed.

In conclusion; PLEASE GIVE ME MORE TIME
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Timebank - yes or no? : I'm a one-table recreational player and I have voted in this poll.
    Posted by FCHD
    +1
  • edited August 2013
    Im interested to see if anyone at SKY has a view on this? You can see the results of the poll.... so what say you SKY??

• edited August 2013
    Hey guys,

Rest assured we have not forgotten about this thread, we are just leaving it open to suggestions for a little while longer so that everyone gets their say....

Some great feedback and thanks for your patience.

Joe
  • edited August 2013
    Re Time Bank. The new look is a huge improvement, however, the time allowed to think is much too short. especially after the flop.
  • edited August 2013
    Having played much of my poker on other sites recently it can be really frustrating when 60 second time banks are running down especially in the late stages of tourneys. However as a 1 or 2 table player a time bank of 15/20 seconds would be acceptable indeed needed if sky are to attract the multi table players.
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by ajs4385
    +1
  • edited August 2013
    Are people really defending a 10sec max on all decisions? For real?

'Oh you want a timebank for complex decisions? Just cut down your tables!'

How can anyone have that position itt. You do realise that we're not arguing for an increased timer, but a sizable reserve for difficult spots. How often do you see people complain of timebanking on other sites?
    'Argh I find it so tilting when people take up to an additional 15secs for tough decisions. It's bad for the game I tells ya!'
    -.-

You cut down your tables WHEN you're timing out in spots by pure accident.
    atm, I am (and I suppose many others) are forced to act poorly/time-out because of a difficult situation, not because of too many. The two are completely different.

Timing out b/c of a sheer No. of decisions DOES NOT EQUAL timing out b/c of  the complexity of difficult decisions.
    One involves pure speed of action. The other involves thinking critically incredibly fast.

Timing out pre/flop/turn/river = Cut-down tables
    Timing out in big pots = Use timebank (learn to think critically, quicker)
    [And idc how good you are, the complexity of some spots exceeds 10secs. Even Nanonoko will tell you that.]

Beaneh pretty much nailed the thread already anyway. Just mental how incredulous some claims are itt though. Mental.
  • edited August 2013
    Polls and opinions are rubbish. People actually using their own money to vote is far better. 

Seriously, one day of development for a time bank on one table limit (eg £1/2) as a trial and see who uses it and test whether it gets abused and adjustments can then be made.

As an uber low stakes player of 10p/20p I do not expect a time bank but then I seldom have a difficult decision when playing optimally is a, b, c. 25p/50p and higher it seems reasonable to have the option if used after trials.

I quite like the idea of playing 300 hands an hour playing 4 tables as that fits on my laptop and I do believe this may cause concern to people complaining about the slow hands, since I have to make extra effort to plug into additional monitors to maintain the hands per hour.
  • edited August 2013

My vote is a definite YES to introducing timebanks... I only play recreationally at low stakes but you do still find the occasional point where you just want a few extra seconds to call up player notes, replay the hand in your head and then make at least some attempt at a well-thought out response.

Can't see how 15-30 extra seconds every hour or so at a table can have a significantly negative impact on play?  Anyone that 'abuses' the time bank by letting it run down needlessly will just be shooting themselves in the foot when they get a tougher decision later on and have no time to think.

As an aside - if people want faster decisions, can't Sky just introduce turbo cash tables where everyone has a reduced amount of thinking time?  Can't say I'd want less time myself, but I'm old and slow, I'm sure lots of younger players (and gamblers) would be happy to play at a table where everyone gets no more than, say, 5 seconds to act.