You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lets get back to poker, discuss...

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
hopp Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £32.59
stanley08 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £49.46
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

aBzScOt Call  £0.50 £1.25 £49.00
YogiTheDog Call  £0.50 £1.75 £69.48
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.00 £4.75 £124.93
troyg Fold     
hopp Fold     
stanley08 Call  £2.50 £7.25 £46.96
aBzScOt Fold     
YogiTheDog Call  £2.50 £9.75 £66.98
Flop

• J

stanley08 Bet  £3.50 £13.25 £43.46
YogiTheDog Call  £3.50 £16.75 £63.48
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £16.00 £32.75 £108.93
stanley08 Call  £12.50 £45.25 £30.96
YogiTheDog Fold     
Turn

stanley08 Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £31.00 £76.25 £77.93
stanley08 All-in  £30.96 £107.21 £0.00
DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet  £0.04 £107.17 £77.97
stanley08 Show
  • J
  • J

DOHHHHHHH Show
  • Q
  • A

River

• K

DOHHHHHHH Win Straight to the Ace £105.37  £183.34
After hitting the river here, the players at the table described me as a fish. Do u guys agree with this? I told the guys at the table I would post the hand on the forum and we could discuss it constructively here, hopefully with the input of TK n ed n James etc.

In the make your play this aft, I said a TAG player doesnt neccesserily have the hand, just coz hes described as TAG. If anyone looking at this hand from the outside, without knowing the hands, could put me on a hand, what would it be?? I got lucky yeh, but firstly it is obvious I wasnt fishing, n secondly, he who dares, wins!

DOHH

Comments

• edited December 2009
    well played mate you were the agressor and you got your reward.fish? i always thought the fish was the constant caller.think it was risky but heh ive already said you are a cracking player.gl dav
  • edited December 2009
    As you know dohhh, i am a very inexperienced player, imo the player may of got mad because you hit on the river. but then we all know it's a game of 5 cards an not 2!! you had 2 over cards all the way to the river. i personally may of folded on the flop, as the guy was calling you which would of indicated to me that he had jacks .... but then your a far superior player to me so i have no room to comment.

the important thing is you won ;)
  • edited December 2009

Thanx Dav, but Im seriously not after praise or aknowledgment here, but after annoying a few people again today, rightly or wrongly I just thought Id try and highlight a couple of things that cud help people, and also help me, that are actually poker related.

Firstly the importance of being aggressive rather than passive (with a strong starting hand)

And also, from my oppo's point of view, (lets presume he had been aggressive previously, he hadn't) The way to takle advantage of an aggressive image.

He's flopped top set, I love his call on the flop, he has the nuts, its fantastic. - But to check the turn???? He must move here, at least bet, Im bluffing, if he bets 15 quid, or shows any kind of strength, I have to go away! As I cant take him off the hand.

If hes been TAG all game, I might evel call him with A high! yes I do that sometimes, but hes so passive.

Raise, re raise, protect ur hand, or try and get me off mine!

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Lets get back to poker, discuss...:
    well played mate you were the agressor and you got your reward.fish? i always thought the fish was the constant caller.think it was risky but heh ive already said you are a cracking player.gl dav
    Posted by dav1964
    LOL Dave! Ronnie an Reggie strike again ;) just kidding VW just thought it was ironic that me an dave were first to reply after this afternoon's debate ;)
  • edited December 2009
    did u ever think u wetre ahead after the flop behave man ffs
  • edited December 2009
    its an open forum dohhhhhhh and within reason if no one annoyed no one and we all agreed with each other it wouldnt be much fun now would it? and with playing hands the way you played that one im in no hurry to play you on a cash table.lol dav
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Dohhhhh,
    There is a question here, that is what you would have done had Stanley pushed on the turn?
    Yes it looks a bit fishy but as someone else said you were aggressive and your opponent gave you the chance to catch your gutshot, by just calling. In poker you sometimes pay the price for patience and get out drawn.

col
  • edited December 2009
    did u ever think u wetre ahead after the flop behave man ffs
    Posted by DELTA
    Yeh I was in 2 mind wether to slow play my ace high or not.....

Theres more to the game than 'am I ahead or not' Delta.

I was hoping for constructive replies from people of all levels. - I got lucky, Ive obviously not posted this to show off how good I am I had 3 outs on the river and hit one of them.

I spose ud rather discuss chat box language, or bankroll management or freerolls or TKO, rather than ACTUAL poker hands from which we all, including me, cud learn from!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    I probably do exactly what you do here - Pre-flop that's obviously the right move. The action before you on the flop looks weak so I too try to punish it with a raise, it just gets called which is either great strength or weakness. The thing is that with a flush draw, even the nuts on that flop, which he has, needs to protect. A blank on the turn doesn't change that so the check confirms his weakness and I shove on him.

The way he's played it preflop - he calls and would have to expect to be up against 2 or 3 other players. With jacks that's already a bad move. After that though, despite him playing it a bit odd and a little gambly he doesn't do a heel of a lot wrong. In response to the original question - are you a fish? Obviously not - what like you WANTED the call on the turn?
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Dohhhhh, There is a question here, that is what you would have done had Stanley pushed on the turn? Yes it looks a bit fishy but as someone else said you were aggressive and your opponent gave you the chance to catch your gutshot, by just calling. In poker you sometimes pay the price for patience and get out drawn. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    If he shows any resistance im out of their col. There is an argument which suggest he plays it perfectly, He knows Im aggressive, and he knows I will bet it for him, so he has me in his hand and can do what he wants with me. And he did. Hoped that wud be a point that sum1 wud suggest....but obv not.

Just trying to get a proper poker debate going.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    GR8 DEBATE DOHHH WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD STRATEGY PLAY HOW U LIKE, ITS YOUR MONEY U CAN CALL, , PUSH FOLD OR DO CARTWHEELS TBH YYY DO PLAYERS CRITISISE EVERY PLAY ON HERE?

NONE OF US R PROS,,YET, OK U SAID U PLAYED IT AGG SO YESU GOT LUKKY BUT WE ALL GET LUKKY SOMETIMES..

WD DOHHH
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Lets get back to poker, discuss... : If he shows any resistance im out of their col. There is an argument which suggest he plays it perfectly, He knows Im aggressive, and he knows I will bet it for him, so he has me in his hand and can do what he wants with me. And he did. Hoped that wud be a point that sum1 wud suggest....but obv not. Just trying to get a proper poker debate going. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I take your point m8, but at that point the ONLY way you can win the hand is to push in the hope that he was on the draw or only one pair. My point is that with the flush and straight draw out there he HAS to bet. Yes he knows your an aggressive player but you do have the hands (sometimes lol), so he cant have any complaints for being greedy. I would rather take a pot of £76 than lose a £100+ pot by passive play.

col
  • edited December 2009

Villain paid for being so passive, & Hero was allowed to get there.

A metaphor for poker, really.

Dohhh did not do aything meritworthy as such, he was allowed to get there. If Oppo showed strength on Flop or Turn, I guarantee Dohhhhh mucks sharpish.

If you see a weasel sleeping.......
  • edited December 2009

Very true Col, I try and put myself in his position, on top set there - what wud I do against myself? and Im with you, the pot is big enough to win now, when limping pre then callin the pre flop raise, at this point, Id be happy with taking down a big pot on the turn. - I wud raise the flop against myself too - and probably pre as well.

Limp calling with jacks pre? do we? dont we?

Is it different against tight players? aggro players? what do u guys do? how do u play jacks?

3 limpers pre ur on SB with AQ? do u raise, or take a flop?

Help me guys! Its real life here, not a book!

Cheerz, DOHH

• edited December 2009
      For me your opponent played this hand horrendously. If you are going to play JJ then why is a Jack high flop not enough to reraise you with. After flatting the flop and checking the turn he is relying on you making all the betting and his set holding up.
      The key to winning any pot is to give yourself the most opportunities to win. You raised pre giving yourself 2 ways to win at that point. You then raised the flop and bet the turn, on each of these occasions you had 2 chances to win. That is having the best hand or making your opponent fold.Yes you were behind all the way but a good bet can easily beat a good hand.
       I find absolutely nothing wrong with your play in this hand, not my style of course, but your opponent decide to crank up the risk reward dial by slowplaying his monster and he got burnt by it. Standard play for a cash table the more you want to win the more you have to risk losing.
  • edited December 2009

Right on cue I was just gonna say wheres Talon when ya need him! lol

Good read as ever Talon. I wouldnt say it was hurrendous though. I see ur thinking, build the pot when ur ahead.

Id been here about an hour n half.....first hour I was Tag, been loosening up the previous 15/20 mins...it wasnt taken as red that Im gonna go nuts.....

Unless he has notes on me of course....

But I see his thinking...hes flopped the nuts, he cnt believe his luck,. (like i cudnt when I rivered the nuts).....n hes got me all in with 3 outs....so he can justify his play as brilliant! I wud if I did what he had. Its the thinking behind the play Im trying to get my teeth into....

Is it the optimum way to play it? In this instance maybe, but maybe not.

Fascinating game innit :) lol

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    I don't think we ever limp-call jacks against more than one opponent preflop - we're looking for no overcards on the board, but if there's a king or queen against one opponent then ok, we'll take our chances and be wary - but against 2 you have to think someone's hit - in this instance he could have had 3. The only reason I can think to flat there is that you hate jacks so much you're just setmining
  • edited December 2009
    Right on cue I was just gonna say wheres Talon when ya need him! lol Good read as ever Talon. I wouldnt say it was hurrendous though. I see ur thinking, build the pot when ur ahead. Id been here about an hour n half.....first hour I was Tag, been loosening up the previous 15/20 mins...it wasnt taken as red that Im gonna go nuts..... Unless he has notes on me of course.... But I see his thinking...hes flopped the nuts, he cnt believe his luck,. (like i cudnt when I rivered the nuts).....n hes got me all in with 3 outs....so he can justify his play as brilliant! I wud if I did what he had. Its the thinking behind the play Im trying to get my teeth into.... Is it the optimum way to play it? In this instance maybe, but maybe not. Fascinating game innit :) lol DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Over time the way he played it will pay off more than not, but when it doesnt it invariably plays on your mind more. Why did i let let him in, and how can he bet with a gutshot, It is a fine balance between how you view success, in cash terms or did i, in that situation play optimally. Give a burglar an opening and he takes it, if you see what i mean.

I would in that situation raise with JJ to narrow the field and get a bit of info as well, but then i can put them down if an A or K comes.

col
  • edited December 2009

Back to the origonal idea of the post though, the beauty of a TAG/ and imparticuarly aLAG immage as opposed to a passive one, - Is alot of the time here my mate doesnt flop the nuts, he might flop top pair or a draw etc.

As long as we have position, we can play with them, tickle em, thump em (not literally), whatever we wanna do, whatever we wanna convince them we have, we can do!

Its like playing on a playstation (havent done that for 8 yrs) But I used to control my players with a joypad! lol The same here.

Sometimes Im gonna have the nuts, they pay! Alot of time im gonna have a hand (pair upwards), and gonna take others off their hands! Alot of the time I have nothing, but Im the only one who knows this, so its irrelevant!

After all that waffle....my point is....

Aggression surely will always beat passive play!!

DOHh
  • edited December 2009
    stanley08 played that hand perfectly all the cash went in with only the river too see and DOHHHHHHH had 4 outs
    The fact that stanley08 got a horrible beat doesnt change the fact he got his cash in good however he managed it

stanley08 played the player let him do the work and dohhhhhhhh sucked out - u need to get paid off with a top set and against an aggressive play sit back and watch him dig a hole

We replay that river 9 more times and we all say what excellent play by stanley08 playing the player

The picture that stanley08 painted was that he was on a flush or straight draw dohh bet the turn as stanley08 cannt call with a draw for 30 quid

Dohhhhh im not gonna call u a fish but be honest stanley08 out played u in this hand u have to believe he was on a draw and u tried to bully him out and fell into his trap

The fact that u got lucky doesnt change the fact - top play stanley08 - so so so very unlucky
  • edited December 2009
      I am firmly in the better to win a small pot than lose a big pot brigade. Maybe horrendously was a bad choice of words but to my mind he had 2 golden opportunities to take  a good size pot down, by reraising allin on the flop or by betting allin on the turn.If he had done either of these and you had called then he could rightfully called you fishy and complained about a badbeat but in this situation he opened himself up to a bad beat so it was more his play that caused it.
     I dont like the whole check on the turn because the board has become very draw heavy with 1 flush draw and 2 straight draw on offer. For me this is take the money and run territory. But i will add one disclaimer to any comment i have made, i am a really bad cash player so maybe my comments should be viewed with that in mind
  • edited December 2009

I agree millhouse! - He played it well in parts but very poorly in other parts.. I appreciate ur response. No1 can call me a fish tho, i didnt call once.

Pre flop i think he played it poorly, I wud do the same on the flop, but I wouldnt check the turn!

Well chuffed with ur reply, hope to hear more from u!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    DOHHHHHH, your after honesty so i will give it you, your play their in my opinion was just dreadful, i have watched you play a few times and i thought to myself very very loose and likes to get involved in every hand? you must have known you were way behind and thats why it was such bad play in my mind, just my opinion
  • edited December 2009

Talon u cannot possibly be a bad cash player if u understand the game as seem to!

Ure replies are always structured and justified with explanations, u wud make mincemeat of the cash games, I hesitate to say particuarly the lower levels, as I think they wud be BELOW your level and do u an injustice.

Unless ur either quoting a book, or suffer from huge adrenaline rushes that make u do crazy things, I really dont understand why u cannot beat the cash game!

Id like to come have a game with u at whatever level, and see whats going wrong, coz u obviously know ur stuff!

Get stuck in!

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    DOHHHHHH, your after honesty so i will give it you, your play their in my opinion was just dreadful, i have watched you play a few times and i thought to myself very very loose and likes to get involved in every hand? you must have known you were way behind and thats why it was such bad play in my mind, just my opinion
    Posted by webby234
    Thanx webby Im after opinions, but with some backup. I obviously know im behind, so checking is no good, hes checked to me, im nt guna fold, so whats my other option? Raise..... Small raise? prices in draws, Big raise, Same thing, All in? my only option? no? what would u do?

I really wud love to know, thanx for ur feeback

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    when he called your raise of £16.50 after flop you must have known you were behind yes? then he checks again to trap you even further and you fell straight into his trap by betting £31, the other player has been extremely unlucky in my opinion here
  • edited December 2009

He has, but how often does he have top set here??
  • edited December 2009
    He has, but how often does he have top set here??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    what does that matter? he could have AJ and have you dominated as well
  • edited December 2009
    He could have pocket 2s im miles behind, Im not sure ure getting the point im trying to make about aggression.......

He could have limp called with 23, played it the same way up to the turn, bet the turn, and I run a mile.

Please understand.....its not all about the hand I posted. It just raises issues that I find fascinating. I know my cards, he knows his, neither really matter until they r turned over. - Its the plays before this happens im interested in.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    when he called your raise of £16.50 after flop you must have known you were behind yes? then he checks again to trap you even further and you fell straight into his trap by betting £31, the other player has been extremely unlucky in my opinion here
    Posted by webby234

That was my school of thought, once that raise had been called alarm bells would be ringing. But the other player had the opportunity to come over the top an show strength and put dohhh off! or am i talking rubbish?