You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn?

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
having did a cbet which gets called on the flop the turn brings my hand back into play so I decide to do the double barrel and got a massive raise so I made the call and was thinking he will have something good.
I didn't know much about the villain so just went with the normal everyday story of big bets usually mean good hands.
so when the 4 came on the river I decided to make the bet myself knowing that their is always the risk that he will check the river but to my surprise he folded.
shazzee Big blind  £0.05 £0.05 £4.72
xBig blind  £0.05 £0.10 £3.95
  Your hole cards

craigcu12 Raise  £0.15 £0.25 £8.08
xCall  £0.10 £0.35 £3.85
spursutd Fold     
shazzee Fold     
Flop

• K

craigcu12 Bet  £0.18 £0.53 £7.90
xCall  £0.18 £0.71 £3.67
Turn

craigcu12 Bet  £0.53 £1.24 £7.37
xRaise  £2.30 £3.54 £1.37
craigcu12 Call  £1.77 £5.31 £5.60
River

craigcu12 Bet  £2.66 £7.97 £2.94
xFold     
craigcu12 Muck     
craigcu12 Win  £4.91  £7.85
craigcu12 Return  £2.66 £0.40 £10.51
with the turn would shipping it have been better because what I am thinking is had the spade came on the river then he would definitely either have checked or folded unless he had one, recently I have been getting more  and more belief that if a flush comes villians will fold the first time they see a bet.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Shipping turn would be burning money imo. Calling marginal but prob ok.

Once you flat turn you should check river to him imo

• edited August 2013
    I dont like the call on the turn, very strongly dislike

1) Drawing to hands that are non nut

2) Out of position

As played the donk on the river is bad too.

Just play nit ABC at these levels.

Getting into marginal situations is totally unecessary.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn?:
    Shipping turn would be burning money imo. Calling marginal but prob ok. Once you flat turn you should check river to him imo
    Posted by grantorino
    villain has less back then what we are being asked to put in, surely its a ship or fold on the turn.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn?:
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn? : villain has less back then what we are being asked to put in, surely its a ship or fold on the turn.
    Posted by NColley
    Why should it be shove or fold on the turn?

If we assume that we have no fold equity for the shove:

We can either call £1.77 with pot odds of 33% or...

We can effectively call £3.14 with pot odds of 39%.

Our equity may be as low as about 15% or as high as 40% but most of the time is around 30-35% (I don't have Stove/Equilab). It's probably a marginal losing call on the turn, improved substantially if we get the rest on the river. Shoving the turn would seem to be certainly a losing play unless, for some reason, we think we have some fold equity.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn? : villain has less back then what we are being asked to put in, surely its a ship or fold on the turn.
    Posted by NColley
    Well, I would be surprised if shoving 7 high with close to 0 fe is a good idea

We are close to getting direct odds on the call, even oop we can get enough implied odds to make calling ok I think. 
  • edited August 2013
    I dont like the call on the turn, very strongly dislike 1) Drawing to hands that are non nut 2) Out of position As played the donk on the river is bad too. Just play nit ABC at these levels. Getting into marginal situations is totally unecessary.
    Posted by calcalfold
    calcalford
    you say just play ABC nit poker at this level but in all honesty as well as the MTT i think it was the amount of nittyness too that was causing the losses in july.
     the signs were all over i even have noticed people encouraging me to get a villain who has just give that person a bad beat and talking about how good i usually am. so i can see myself that now some know me well.
    even with this hand when he has did a fold on the river it's quite odd for the villains that are associated with these tables

what has got me playing these hands now is their is these tables are so weak with betting even when they have good hands so even if i miss the flop their is a good chance of seeing the turn card cheaply.

maybe i should i have just checked the turn.
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Craig,

" the signs were all over i even have noticed people encouraging me to get a villain who has just give that person a bad beat and talking about how good i usually am. so i can see myself that now some know me well"

I do hope you ignored them, A lot of newbies talk so much nonsense at 4nl its just unreal.

Im not saying your not good, Im just saying these people for the most part dont have a clue about poker.

Going after players that have dished out a bad beat to you or whoever is one of the worst things you can do.

I understand what you are saying about not thinking nit ABC is optimal, and yes I even agree to an extent. But if you are playing over 3 tables, I dont think you are going to be paying enough attention to the table dyanamic and player specfic reads to make are more loose aggr type game more profitable than NIT ABC at 4nl.

Also playing a good NIT ABC game is a hell of a lot easier than playing a looser aggrressive game. You really need to have the ability to read players and build up a good understanding of what is going on in a hand. I dont mean this in a harsh way, but I feel a duty to say that with the KQ example above, this was a very easy story to break down, the fact you didnt realise you were beat here means, imo, that you would struggle long term with using a game plan that requires deeper levels of thought.

And I am only saying that becase I really want you to succeed.

Would be interested in hearing Tintins thoughts on this debate.

ps. I have noticed this a few times, My username is calcalfold, not calcalford - that sounds like what I would do if I have a problem with my Focus LX.
  • edited August 2013
    I think the general idea of raising a relatively wide range, including suited connectors, is fine at lower limits. The biggest leak (usually amongst many) most players have at this level is that they call too much pre-flop and check-fold too much on the flop.

However, playing this wide range, out of position is a much different prospect. We want to be sure that our opponents in late position are going to play face-up post-flop, so we're not guessing whether to double-barrel or not. We also don't want to be getting in the situation of raising pre-flop with these hands and playing out of position to multiple opponents.

So raising these sorts of hand in position is likely very good. Raising them out of position is much more dependent on the players behind.

I would encourage you not to play ABC poker at these levels. If you want to join all the other nits in making modest profits for the rest of your poker career, then that's fine. If you want to develop your game to perhaps become a bigger winning player, then you should be making your 'moves' and learning from your mistakes at these lower stakes, where it doesn't really hurt.
  • edited August 2013

How about going for a check raise on the turn?

As played I think it's a fold on the turn as he has little behind.

• edited August 2013
    Borinloner

Do you not consider your idea more advanced and difficult to implement successfully?

Would it not be better for somebody to be able put down a string of winning months (£200 + month in month out) using ABC to get a grasp of the bascis before adding more hands? I see a lot of people trying to make fancy moves with wide ranges at 4nl, like the pros on HSP, and it just cannot be done unless you really know what your doing. As I said, the KQ example was a worry, is it not to you?

I have follwed Craig for a his whole blog and dont think the numbers craig has been returning indicated that the strong starting hands are not being played well enough at this stage to justify a wider range being added.

Obviously to beat the bigger games required a wider range, basic nits will never crush 50nl and beyond.

But I do think we need to walk before we can run. And to reiterate I am only saying this to try and help (obv imo a I see it dyor etcetc) I would love Craig to be smashing £200+ month after month, because of the pure determination and contribution to the boards.
  • edited August 2013
    Well, it can't be that advanced if I'm able to suggest it. lol

Seriously, all I'm talking about is raising in position and c-betting the flop when we know our opponents call too much pre-flop and check-fold the flop a lot. That's not really that complicated. Yes, we need to learn which board textures are good to bet and which one's we should give up on, but that's something we only learn through experience.

We have a choice of how to view the game, and to my mind there's one view which says i) "We get big hands and we bet with them", which is the standard ABC nit idea, or there's the view that ii) "We look for opportunities to exploit our opponents, and make our hand fit in with that".

Lots of players play the nitty style and you can't criticise. If they can make a bit of extra money consistently without too much deep thought about the game, that's good. If you want to be better than that, you should try to learn from day one that this game isn't really about your own hand.

All those ABC nits winning small amounts on the site at the moment miss so many opportunities because they think there is a "right" way to play particular hands. If you want to be better than that, you need to be viewing your own hand, only as it fits in with your opponent's range. Not merely "I've got AK/AA/KK, so I should raise big now".

It's not that sophisticated, though. It just takes thought and practice.
  • edited August 2013
    Well, it can't be that advanced if I'm able to suggest it. lol Seriously, all I'm talking about is raising in position and c-betting the flop when we know our opponents call too much pre-flop and check-fold the flop a lot. That's not really that complicated. Yes, we need to learn which board textures are good to bet and which one's we should give up on, but that's something we only learn through experience. We have a choice of how to view the game, and to my mind there's one view which says i) "We get big hands and we bet with them", which is the standard ABC nit idea, or there's the view that ii) "We look for opportunities to exploit our opponents, and make our hand fit in with that". Lots of players play the nitty style and you can't criticise. If they can make a bit of extra money consistently without too much deep thought about the game, that's good. If you want to be better than that, you should try to learn from day one that this game isn't really about your own hand. All those ABC nits winning small amounts on the site at the moment miss so many opportunities because they think there is a "right" way to play particular hands. If you want to be better than that, you need to be viewing your own hand, only as it fits in with your opponent's range. Not merely "I've got AK/AA/KK, so I should raise big now". It's not that sophisticated, though. It just takes thought and practice.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Fair play, thats a brilliant synopsis, and I must confess I would love to be able to develop in this area of the game.

Do you have a blog of your own progression online or know any good sources for further reading in this area (ie finding opportunities for exploiting other players tendencies at microstakes)?
  • edited August 2013
    Nobody would want to read a blog by me. Some people think my alias is ironic. Those people are wrong.

I don't think you need particularly different skills to exploit micro stakes players. The key is not to think of them as micro-stakes players. Once you view them as individuals playing 100BB, a calling station at NL4 is the same as a station at NL100. There might be more stations at NL4 but the ways in which you exploit them are the same.
  • edited August 2013
    Sent you a PM Calcalford
  • edited August 2013
    calcalford where the real trouble lies with nl4 is like what borinloner has said villians on these table are constantly calling preflop which if missed will lead them to folding when they see a bet made.
    take this hand for instance if it was calling stations then i would never expect them to fold. these villians look more like hit or fold type villians.
    xSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.15
    craigcu12 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.70
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

Hoff92 Fold     
    bigdave626 Fold     
    yCall  £0.04 £0.10 £4.08
    xCall  £0.02 £0.12 £7.13
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.12 £0.24 £2.58
    yCall  £0.12 £0.36 £3.96
    xCall  £0.12 £0.48 £7.01
    Flop

xCheck     
    craigcu12 Bet  £0.24 £0.72 £2.34
    yFold     
    xFold
    it's probably the amount of rumors saying that nl4 consist of lots of calling station that has instead made them like this because people say that you should semi bluff c bet or stone cold bluff a calling station so therefore what happens is when villians see a bet they believe that he/she has hit.

it probably just takes playing in a micro stakes MTT to realise just how small in numbers calling stations really are in  micro  cash games
  • edited August 2013
    Isnt that just a standard pf bet followed by a standard continuation bet?

I am looking a for more detailed articles.

Jac35, thanks for the PM - much appreciated.
  • edited August 2013
    i think all in on the turn is the right thing to do long term u have flush draw and up n down str8 draw loads of outs so even if we do get called we have tones of outs i would be shipping it all in on the turn and fist pumping the air 
  • edited August 2013
    turn is close

call is ok

opening 76ss is fine, jesus what you gonna do fold all the time :)
    raise to 20p pre though
  • edited August 2013
    Isnt that just a standard pf bet followed by a standard continuation bet? I am looking a for more detailed articles. Jac35, thanks for the PM - much appreciated.
    Posted by calcalfold
    this might have been a standard cbet but truthfully it was just a simple button click without bothing to think about the hand. all it takes is to get called and right away i know i have a good chance of being behind. semi bluff and stone cold bluffs are not done much on nl4.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn? : this might have been a standard cbet but truthfully it was just a simple button click without bothing to think about the hand. all it takes is to get called and right away i know i have a good chance of being behind. semi bluff and stone cold bluffs are not done much on nl4.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Yip

Often the only bluffs I see are sometimes when people miss their draw.
  • edited August 2013
    In my opinion calling the turn is only ok if the guy had more behind him. In this situation you can really only fold or shove allin. You have a lot of outs and need to get the rest in to give you the right odds. Plus, there is always the small chance he folds (he could be bluffing with the best hand) and therefore you dont need to hit.
  • edited August 2013
    In my opinion calling the turn is only ok if the guy had more behind him. In this situation you can really only fold or shove allin. You have a lot of outs and need to get the rest in to give you the right odds. Plus, there is always the small chance he folds (he could be bluffing with the best hand) and therefore you dont need to hit.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    What do you mean by this?

As said earlier in the thread, we need equity of 39% if we get it all-in with no fold equity or 33% to just call.

I think it's optimistic to think we'll get villain to fold after he's put this much in. It might happen very occasionally (low single figure percentage, if that) but it's not something we should consider, in my opinion.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have just checked the river and was it ok calling the turn? : What do you mean by this? As said earlier in the thread, we need equity of 39% if we get it all-in with no fold equity or 33% to just call. I think it's optimistic to think we'll get villain to fold after he's put this much in. It might happen very occasionally (low single figure percentage, if that) but it's not something we should consider, in my opinion.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I probably didn't get it right stating it like that but my point was if where going to play the hand I don't think we can just call when he has so little left. And I DO think you have to consider the small chance he folds as it is possible at this level (I've seen it often) although it is not foremost in my thinking. After all, the guy did eventually fold the river. 
  • edited August 2013
    I meant to add too that calling leaves us with a very awkward situation if we miss. Do we bet knowing we are giving good odds to most hands or check and feel foolish when the guy checks behind showing a missed flush draw or air that's beating us. It's the river decision that is in my thinking when see how little the guy has left behind which is why i don't think we can just call. Allin or fold are the only options. Which one is the best i admit I struggle to work out to the right % in the heat of the moment and I'm open to any help. 
  • edited August 2013
    Explain why raising the turn is good pls

• edited August 2013
    coz ya oop and if u hit are u gonna get paid on the river if u donk lead shove 

i prefer to shove all in on the turn altho the guy is pot commited to the hand with the raise i think we have to go with it with the amount of outs we have so i prefer the shove like i said if we hit the river are we gonna get paid ?
  • edited August 2013
    coz ya oop and if u hit are u gonna get paid on the river if u donk lead shove  i prefer to shove all in on the turn altho the guy is pot commited to the hand with the raise i think we have to go with it with the amount of outs we have so i prefer the shove like i said if we hit the river are we gonna get paid ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I'm pretty sure raising turn is -EV. So I wouldn't do it. If you think calling isn't profitable you should fold imo
  • edited August 2013

Just to talk about CraigSG1's post: I have seen players fold for this much more on the turn many times. If I said thirty or forty times, that would seem about right. However I've played tens of thousands of hands, so those occasions occur probably less than 1% of the time.

We don't need to care about the weird plays we've seen before. Even if you think unknown players fold to a shove here one in fifty times, it's still not a significant factor. The fact that he folded the river is neither here nor there as he may have simply been holding a missed draw himself, which would have been dominating us on the turn and would not have folded.

Even if the hero had shoved the turn and, on this occasion, the villain had folded, it still would not be a justification for shoving. We have to make our decision in view of long-term expected results and in the long-term we should not expect our opponents to fold here often enough.

Grantorino hits the nail on the head. This is all about which situation is more +EV (or which may be -EV).

The fact that our opponent has some money back doesn't mean we have to stick him in. We're not playing a tournament so we don't need to win all of the chips. We only have to make the decision that gives the best expected return and, if you agree that he's unlikely to fold for the rest, we have a choice of paying less money for 33% odds or paying more money for 39% odds. That makes the better decision clear, I think.

• edited August 2013

we can call, hit and still get paid because of SPR

we have no FE
    raising turn is -EV

• edited August 2013
    Just to talk about CraigSG1's post: I have seen players fold for this much more on the turn many times. If I said thirty or forty times, that would seem about right. However I've played tens of thousands of hands, so those occasions occur probably less than 1% of the time. We don't need to care about the weird plays we've seen before. Even if you think unknown players fold to a shove here one in fifty times, it's still not a significant factor. The fact that he folded the river is neither here nor there as he may have simply been holding a missed draw himself, which would have been dominating us on the turn and would not have folded. Even if the hero had shoved the turn and, on this occasion, the villain had folded, it still would not be a justification for shoving. We have to make our decision in view of long-term expected results and in the long-term we should not expect our opponents to fold here often enough. Grantorino hits the nail on the head. This is all about which situation is more +EV (or which may be -EV). The fact that our opponent has some money back doesn't mean we have to stick him in. We're not playing a tournament so we don't need to win all of the chips. We only have to make the decision that gives the best expected return and, if you agree that he's unlikely to fold for the rest, we have a choice of paying less money for 33% odds or paying more money for 39% odds. That makes the better decision clear, I think.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Ok, i see what you are saying and your right, thats probably the MTT player in me in that thinking. I just dont like the idea of calling leaving him have so little left and leaving us with a tricky river decision if we miss. I think it could leave us exploitable if say we call that raise, miss the draw and he ships for his remaining chips and we have to fold. It then becomes obvious we where on a draw and shows how we play such a hand.

I personally fold the turn unless he has a decent amout behind him.