You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

cryptic puzzle, anyone?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    i seem to be missing the point in almost all of these sigh, 
  • edited September 2013
    Your logic is impeccable. But it would involve the question being wrong, because it was stated the answers were forum users which would make it either tikay1 or tikay10
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: cryptic puzzle, anyone?:
    Your logic is impeccable. But it would involve the question being wrong, because it was stated the answers were forum users which would make it either tikay1 or tikay10
    Posted by Talon
    True, however one question's answer was Anna Fowler not her alias MissFowler
  • edited September 2013
    At the start he said A sky presenter and a famous player. So that covers anna fowler
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: cryptic puzzle, anyone? : True, however one question's answer was Anna Fowler not her alias MissFowler
    Posted by greggo1410
    as talon says though the question says there's forum regs, one presenter (anna fowler) and one famous player (ivey) - so it has to be a forum reg or the question is slightly wrong.

I actually think the question is slightly wrong now lol basically because I cant think of another answer
  • edited September 2013

This is really fantastic, Teddy.

Forums & Communities are made up of givers & takers, & you've brightened the place up a treat, & made an effort, well done.

More of the same, please.
  • edited September 2013
    This is really fantastic, Teddy. Forums & Communities are made up of givers & takers, & you've brightened the place up a treat, & made an effort, well done. More of the same, please.
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1
    Certainly got the old grey matter working this morning :-)
  • edited September 2013
    This is really fantastic, Teddy. Forums & Communities are made up of givers & takers, & you've brightened the place up a treat, & made an effort, well done. More of the same, please.
    Posted by Tikay10
     NIce post tikay and sums this up well. We need more of this kind of thing. By the way how well did you do?
  • edited September 2013
    Post of the month! Teddy for top of the posts!

Very nice work
  • edited September 2013
    Posted by Talon
    Yup the question is wrong. I didnt realise tikay had a number after both his screen names. 

Doh.

Cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    Is No 6 - Larson7 No 14 - Geldy (as in Gelding)
    Posted by VespaPX

Correct on both

Cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    In Response to cryptic puzzle, anyone?:
    1 Tight player flipped and doubled up [6] tintin

2 Heard he spotted a yob [8] cenachav 

3  I'm lost with a second shuffle [8] smitalos 

4 Back to back articles on sound of something more vulgar [4,6] anna fowler 

5 Takes trainees out of common post-flop line [10] 

6 Getting David Beckham's number left man with burning desire missing place all MTT players revere [7] larson7 

7 Sound of time and temprature [5] tikay 

8 Overheard: ogle a$$ without crucial component and shout 'uranium' [10]  

9 He's sharp and on birds [5]  talon 

10 Drilling without force and one radius [10] borinloner 

11 Common ecstasy tablet in liverpool and sound of line leads to questions [7] garyqqq 

12 Orally pack plant with energy [4,4] phil ivey 

13 The most welsh dale without victory or direction [7] maxally 

14 Castrate youth leader [5] geldy 

15 TV channel, not on freeview or virgin [3,4] sky dave 

16 Animal with little hesitation and time gets top score [10] lambert180 

note, some answers contain numbers Edit fixed clue 7 Edit in clue 8, a$$ = a s s. The forum mods mild swear words. good luck.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

just two left to get.

cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    Have them both but will wait a while for some other guesses to come in
  • edited September 2013
    and for those of us no good at this sort of thing is fun trying to work out how the question relates tot the answer even with the answer there. 1 is very good imo
  • edited September 2013
    and for those of us no good at this sort of thing is fun trying to work out how the question relates tot the answer even with the answer there. 1 is very good imo
    Posted by jams88
      They can all be explained logically. But just requires looking at things from a different angle. Will gladly explain any you dont understand. Cryptics are not everyones cup of tea but those who like them love them to bits
  • edited September 2013
    -and for those of us no good at this sort of thing is fun trying to work out how the question relates tot the answer even with the answer there. 1 is very good imo-

a good clue will read like a regular sentence. the secret is ignoring that surface meaning and breaking the clue down to its individual components. it often helps to read the clue in a broken manner to break down that surface meaning.

they have their own language and grammar. eg hesitation often means 'er' or 'um and words like 'flipped' or 'shuffle' are often instructions to the solver. will post full answers and explanations when the last one has been guessed.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    Seeing as down to one will take it with explanation.

Overheard: ogle a$$ without crucial component and shout 'uranium' [10]

Overheard means sounds like.

Ogle means Eye which becomes i
      a s s  is donkey, without crucial component means lose the ending so becomes donk
      Shout is another word for call
      Chemical symbol for uranium is U

So becomes idonkcallu
  • edited September 2013
    Posted by calcalfold

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    Very clever post this one.

A nice change.
  • edited September 2013
    full answers

1 Tight player [nit] flipped [tin] and doubled up [6] tintin 

2 Heard [homophone indicator] he spotted [cen / seen] a yob [a chav] [8] cenachav

3  I'm lost with a second [s] shuffle [anagram indicator] [8] smitalos

4 Back to back articles [an / na] on sound [homophone ind.] of something more vulgar [fouler /fowler][4,6] anna fowler

5 Takes trainees [trainee = L] out of common post-flop line [call call fold -it's common for me lol] [10] calcalfold 

6 Getting David Beckham's number [7] left [L] man with burning desire [arsonist] missing place all MTT players revere [first place = IST] [7] larson7 

7 Sound [homophone] of time [t] and temprature [kelvin = k] [5] tikay

8 Overheard[homophone]: ogle [eye / I] a$$ [donkey] without crucial [key] component and shout [call]'uranium' [u] [10] idonkcallu 

9 He's sharp and on birds [5]  talon 

10 Drilling [boring] without force [gravity = g] and one [lone] radius [r] [10] borinloner 

11 Common [slang] ecstasy tablet in liverpool [gary - gary ablett, obv]and sound [homophone] of line [line = queue / q]leads to questions [q's] [7] garyqqq 

12 Orally [homophone] pack [fill / phil] plant [ivy]with energy [e] [4,4] phil ivey 

13 The most [max] welsh dale [valley] without victory [v] or direction [east = e] [7] maxally 

14 Castrate [geld] youth leader [youth] [5] geldy 

15 TV channel, not on freeview or virgin [3,4] sky dave 

16 Animal [lamb] with little hesitation [er] and time [t] gets top score [180 in darts] [10] lambert180 

thanks for the kind words, glad peeps enjoyed it.

well done everyone that got answers right.

cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    cracking thread. got to admit I did terribly trying to work these out but it looks oh so easy when its pointed out.

keep up the good work and I look forward to a sequel
  • edited September 2013
    all i can say is

OUCH

really nice post - well done
  • edited September 2013

Brilliant.

Any chance we can have a few more of these, Teddy?

It made history - a Community thread where nobody complained!

Thank you.
  • edited September 2013
    Thank, tikay.

Will put another one up later.

Cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013

Can you make it a bit easier, for people like Rich Oxford then?

It has loads of mileage. You did Sky Poker players, but it could be anything - footballers, sportsmen & women, TV Shows, etc. 

How about one which is just transport, trains, JCB's, pylons, motorway service stations, bridges & concrete? That would be incredibly popular.  
  • edited September 2013
    Can you make it a bit easier, for people like Rich Oxford then? It has loads of mileage. You did Sky Poker players, but it could be anything - footballers, sportsmen & women, TV Shows, etc.  How about one which is just transport, trains, JCB's, pylons, motorway service stations, bridges & concrete? That would be incredibly popular.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I guess he could do tube stations - that might be Poplar ?
  • edited September 2013
    seasonal affective disorder begins to describes people with interest in concrete [3]

?

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    Thank, tikay. Will put another one up later. Cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
     If you want a hand with it would be happy to help. This is definitely my sort of thing