You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambo goes Pro - Blog by Lambert180

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat

This is well worth a read.

It is a little out of date - my bad, apologies - but it remains relevant.

The blog is
HERE

Comments

• edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    Cheers Tikay and Julian

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask on here or in my diary.
  • edited September 2013
    Hey Paul

Good luck having a go at poker, stay focussed and u'll do it.
  • edited September 2013
    good luck lambert.
  • edited September 2013
    Best of luck Paul!!
  • edited September 2013
    Cheers guys.

Think I'm gonna do another blog probably early January so I can do a little end of year summary and how my first few months have gone etc.
  • edited September 2013
    My initial reaction is that it's madness to announce this sort of thing to the world. lol

Anyway, what sort of times are you playing? Are you looking to play mostly in the evenings and weekends?

I'm sure after so much time on this forum you're perfectly aware of the pitfalls. Good luck with it.
  • edited September 2013
    Meh, I'm an open kinda guy BL lol. If I didn't specifically write a blog about it I'd have only mentioned it in my diary anyway, and it seemed like a big enough thing to warrant a blog.

As I mentioned in the blog, I'm aiming to do around 40 hr per week, I do alot of it at night but it's just not possible to do it all at weekend/night. Obviously this is a bit of trial run and if it all goes bosoms up, then so be it.

With that in mind, I'm being realistic and sticking to a schedule that is suitable for family life and if I can't make a suitable living from it that way, then I wont do it... I've no intention of working 80 hr weeks or never been able to go out with my girlfriend and the kids cos I've gotta grind non stop to survive.

So as it is, I've been making sure I play at least either Friday or Saturday night every week and when I play them days it'll generally be 8pm - 2am ish. Otherwise I play most nights 8pm - midnight and some morning sessions which are generally 10am - 2pm ish. I'm usually playing between 9 and 12 tables depending on how many I can get going (I'm playing 20/30/40NL) etc but recently have been playing a few MTTs alongside my cash tables so don't like to play more than 9 cash tables if I got MTTs going too.

Cheers for the good luck.... could do with some as you know from the downswing thread lol.
  • edited September 2013
    i keep an eye on ya when u on 20 nl as i wanna join the tables ;)

• edited September 2013
    Good luck Paul, will you just be playing on sky or on other sites as well? no need to be specific if so.
  • edited September 2013
    i highly suggest not 12 tabling nl20/30, it may increase your short term hourly but will definately make your long term goals of moving up and being a reg at nl50/100/200 take alot longer
  • edited September 2013
    good luck paul

i hope emmas not going PRO as well,, lol
  • edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambo goes Pro - Blog by Lambert180:
    Good luck Paul, will you just be playing on sky or on other sites as well? no need to be specific if so.
    Posted by a00rock
    I've been playing MTTs on a different site and I played a cash session on that same site this morning too. My free trial of PT4 hasn't long run out so thinking about just buying it (think it's only about £40 to cover any games I'll be playing in the near future) and then playing some more over there.

• edited September 2013
    i highly suggest not 12 tabling nl20/30, it may increase your short term hourly but will definately make your long term goals of moving up and being a reg at nl50/100/200 take alot longer
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Cheers for the advice.

Yeah I have felt like my game has regressed a little since playing more tables (and it's p*ssed me off)... it might be partly in my head cos I'm in the middle of a -40BI downswing but I'm sure I'm not playing as well as I can. As you say it is increasing my hourly atm but it's not good for my long term improvement and I dont wanna another stale rakeback grinder who never improves their game.
  • edited September 2013
    Meh, I'm an open kinda guy BL lol. If I didn't specifically write a blog about it I'd have only mentioned it in my diary anyway, and it seemed like a big enough thing to warrant a blog. As I mentioned in the blog, I'm aiming to do around 40 hr per week, I do alot of it at night but it's just not possible to do it all at weekend/night. Obviously this is a bit of trial run and if it all goes bosoms up, then so be it. With that in mind, I'm being realistic and sticking to a schedule that is suitable for family life and if I can't make a suitable living from it that way, then I wont do it... I've no intention of working 80 hr weeks or never been able to go out with my girlfriend and the kids cos I've gotta grind non stop to survive. So as it is, I've been making sure I play at least either Friday or Saturday night every week and when I play them days it'll generally be 8pm - 2am ish. Otherwise I play most nights 8pm - midnight and some morning sessions which are generally 10am - 2pm ish. I'm usually playing between 9 and 12 tables depending on how many I can get going (I'm playing 20/30/40NL) etc but recently have been playing a few MTTs alongside my cash tables so don't like to play more than 9 cash tables if I got MTTs going too. Cheers for the good luck.... could do with some as you know from the downswing thread lol.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I doubt I'll be able to offer you much useful help or advice. I'll make an extra effort to be ultra-critical of any posts you make in the clinic, though. Just because I'm so nice. ;)

In all seriousness, I'll try to stimulate extra debate on your threads, if I possibly can. I know you take part in review and sweat sessions with other regs, and I'm sure they're very helpful. Don't slack on any of them. Taking an hour away from the tables to get involved with them is probably more +EV than playing... Unless you're listening to Greghogg, obv.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Lambo goes Pro - Blog by Lambert180 : Cheers for the advice. Yeah I have felt like my game has regressed a little since playing more tables (and it's p*ssed me off)... it might be partly in my head cos I'm in the middle of a -40BI downswing but I'm sure I'm not playing as well as I can. As you say it is increasing my hourly atm but it's not good for my long term improvement and I dont wanna another stale rakeback grinder who never improves their game.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Mass tabling is fine imo and the way to stay aligned to the other pros playing the game.  TBH just nitroll <30nl and the key to not getting owned at 50nl is doing your homework on the regs and having a legit well planned out />3bet strategy v regs
  • edited September 2013
    best of luck and i hope it really works out for you - i think u should be mass tabling whats comfortable for you at 20/30nl u can obvs beat the level and are comfortable there so no probs playin  as many as u can - when u take shots, then is the time to adjust and lessen the amount of tables imo - i dont think ur winrate would be much less atall if u comfortably beat a certain level :) GLGLGL
  • edited September 2013
    Sigh guys, nothing more annoying than two really food players that I respect giving completely opposite pieces of advice lol.
  • edited September 2013
    Sigh guys, nothing more annoying than two really food players that I respect giving completely opposite pieces of advice lol.
    So you wanna be a poker pro, eh? 

lol... get used to this feelin!!
  • edited September 2013
    GL, hope it works out for you :)
  • edited September 2013
    You have a plan, self belief, a bankroll, positive attitude and support from the missus.
    How can you fail?
    Good luck on your adventure!!!

Have you scheduled any live games? or will you be online exclusive?
  • edited September 2013
    Not sure how it will turn out but GL 

P
  • edited September 2013
    You have a plan, self belief, a bankroll, positive attitude and support from the missus. How can you fail? Good luck on your adventure!!! Have you scheduled any live games? or will you be online exclusive?
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    And hopefuly a half decent game ;)

Cheers. But yeah I'm still gonna be playing pretty much every SPT, and in the near future looking to play some of the decent MTTs like GPS/UKIPT etc.

As for live cash, I deffo wanna play more of this but gonna wait til the roll is a bit bigger cos while it is supposed to be alot softer than your average cash game online, you're generally looking at a minimum of 100NL
  • edited September 2013
    Good luck Paul hope it works out for you. Most importantly make sure it doesnt negatively impact your personal life as that would always be my biggest fear. You seem like a very decent guy though and hopefully the people closest to you are supporting your decision , so look forward to hearing your progress in a few months.

Ger
  • edited September 2013
    Cheers Ger,

Yeah it just wouldn't be possible without my girlfriend being right behind me. Not letting it negatively affect my personal life is an important thing to me, and so I'm concentrating on trying to see how well I can do from the game while still maintaining a good balance of 'off the table' activities too.

Mentioned earlier in the thread but will probably do an end of year update as I'll have been playing for a few months then and should have a better idea of how I'm getting on.
  • edited September 2013
    Hey m8.Just lookin through this and would like to wish you all the best.Remember playin you at the low stakes hypers when I 1st joined,lost the vast majority against you if memory serves.Never heard anyone say anythin bad about you,you seem to have a really good mindset when playin the game and you're usually there or thereabouts giving out good advice to lesser players and also prospective future opponents.You'll do grand man.
    Be good
    Paul
  • edited September 2013
    GL man played you quite a bit on the table at 20NL  very good solid player
  • edited September 2013
    Good luck with this. Can't offer you any advice as I'm not a cash player but I know you have had some good results lately on another site in MTTs, so are you playing cash just on this site or spreading it a bit?
  • edited September 2013
    Up to now I've only been playing cash on Sky, the only MTTs I've played here since playing full time have been the Priority freerolls cos they're just great value.

Only really been playing MTTs on that other site and even then it's only 2-3 per session alongside my cash.

I'm thinking about playing some MTTs here but the structures/fields/prizepools (everything) are just much better on the other site. If I start doing some sessions which are just pure MTTs and no cash then I'll probably have to include some Sky ones to keep my tables up.