You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Criticising a player at the table?

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
There was an incident yesterday in the main event which really got to me.

One of my opponents decided to go all-in pre-flop with AK. I had J10, felt like having a bit of a gamble so decided to call. I hit the J and won the pot.

The opponent then starts complaining that I should not be calling with J10 and that I'm a very bad player. While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot!

I don't think he should be criticising another player at the table. Not only is it rude, but it makes him sound like a massive idiot. I think sometimes people forget that going all-in puts your tournament life on the line. People also forget that anybody can call, would he have been madder if I called with 72 and won the pot? Would he have not minded if I called with AA and won the pot? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Would love to get some thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited September 2013

it is poor behaviour.

opponent AK goes all in, pre-flop, wants someone to call
    you call, opponent happy
    opponent hopes you haven't got AA or KK
    you show J10, opponent happy

then flop

opponent critical of you instead of understanding poker
    opponent foolish being critical as what will be the end result?  you leave?

bad opponent, bad, bad.

• edited September 2013

After a quick read of this a couple of things come to mind.

Firstly criticising is just not a good idea. You either educate the lesser player or drive them away, therefore reducing your own profit making capabilities. Also it is a sign of tilt and not something that should be advertised to all on the table.

Secondly.This comment

The opponent then starts complaining that I should not be calling with J10 and that I'm a very bad player. While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot!

The highlighted bit is a major problem in your game. It is either a good call or a bad call. The factors that determine it are stack size, reads on opponent odds and situations. Factors that do not determine it are the final result. Making a bad call and winning is still a bad decision. Getting lucky does not change this in anyway.

So i think you should go back and look at this hand again. Look at how many times you will win and how much you win and how many times you will lose and how much you will lose. In this scenario you were a 2 to 1 underdog going in. Do you really want to keep getting your monay in at those odds?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Criticising a player at the table?:
    There was an incident yesterday in the main event which really got to me. One of my opponents decided to go all-in pre-flop with AK. I had J10, felt like having a bit of a gamble so decided to call. I hit the J and won the pot. The opponent then starts complaining that I should not be calling with J10 and that I'm a very bad player. While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot! I don't think he should be criticising another player at the table. Not only is it rude, but it makes him sound like a massive idiot. I think sometimes people forget that going all-in puts your tournament life on the line. People also forget that anybody can call, would he have been madder if I called with 72 and won the pot? Would he have not minded if I called with AA and won the pot? Doesn't really make sense to me. Would love to get some thoughts on this?
    Posted by peter27

You are allowed to call with what ever you want.
    There is no way of saying it was a bad call unless we know stack sizes and blinds but its not a good call because you won, it does not work like that.
    I would never agree with any type of abuse at the table but you must understand that sometimes after weeks/months of losing when you get it in ahead you might say a sarcy comment like nh ,well played or such ,just because of the frustration but it sounds like this guy said more than this which I think is wrong.
    One of my pet hates is during a game people will say to someone why are you open raising so much or limping all the time and basically telling the inexperienced player they shouldnt be doing this.
    If it becomes abuse or any bad words then it has overstepped the line and is IMO just wrong and should be reported.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Criticising a player at the table?:
    There was an incident yesterday in the main event which really got to me. One of my opponents decided to go all-in pre-flop with AK. I had J10, felt like having a bit of a gamble so decided to call. I hit the J and won the pot. The opponent then starts complaining that I should not be calling with J10 and that I'm a very bad player. While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot! I don't think he should be criticising another player at the table. Not only is it rude, but it makes him sound like a massive idiot. I think sometimes people forget that going all-in puts your tournament life on the line. People also forget that anybody can call, would he have been madder if I called with 72 and won the pot? Would he have not minded if I called with AA and won the pot? Doesn't really make sense to me. Would love to get some thoughts on this?
    Posted by peter27
    Peter, just shrug it off & move on. Yes, it's really bad form by him, but there are some people who I would describe as "bad winners & bad losers". Chirp when they win, kick off when they lose. We've all seen them here, on the Community. Heaven only knows what they must be like in real life. 

Just remember this, though. They never complain when you make a "bad call" & they win the hand. Only when they lose.

The concept of "cake & eat it" is a little too complex for them to grasp.

We ALL get a tad irritated when a bad call busts us. I was called in PLO8 by J-8-8-3 yesterday - it really is hard to imagine ANY PLO8 hand which is worse than that. (It won, obv!). And he CALLED with it. Did it irk me a little? Of course it did. But you THINK these things, don't say them. A little dignity is required. 

Move on, it is your money, play however you want, & rise above bad losers.    
  • edited September 2013
    This was the guy whose alias began with an "X", right? I arrived at the table to catch the tail end and see you telling him you were going to ignore him.

It's one of those things. There are jerks everywhere and if you passed someone in the street criticising the pattern on your socks, you'd just ignore him. It's even easier with online chat boxes.

Usually I just tell people to focus on their own game because that's how they'll improve. Then they usually get abusive because they're not very nice people. That's when they lose my attention.

As Talon says, thinking your call is good simply because you won is results oriented thinking. That's not a profitable way to view the game. We need to view our decisions as being either good or bad based upon our expected profit or loss, if we make the same decisions in the same situation over and over and over again. So if you make that call in that exact situation ten thousand times, will it make you money or cost you money?

Anyway, keep posting in the clinic. Ignore the idiots and listen to the... erm... not-idiots.
  • edited September 2013
    you payed your money & your'e entitled to play whatever cards tickle your fancy...i'm not immune to throwing in the occasional spewy call, hey it's good for your table image if you show a bit of gamble once in a while.

clearly some folk are prone to getting upset at what they perceive is a bad call but the reality is that the AK guy should be fairly happy to get a loose call & get it in as a favourite.

certainly in a live game, players who tilt & rant easily are pretty exploitable so it's not all bad!

• edited September 2013
    ive seen big stacks call with 7,2s and get there thats poker, each to their own I say.
  • edited September 2013
    I saw a call last night with 52 against 66... and the board ran out 64253!
  • edited September 2013
    Some players get abusive even when they win. Recently, in a 60p dym I called an all-in from a shorter stack with pocket eights, he turned over pocket twos and caught a 2 on the flop. Fair enough, he got lucky and hit a two outer, shrug it off and move on. What astonished me was that he then typed "TY IDIOT" in the chat box and went on to make several other abusive comments.
    I had no history with this oppponent, this was the first pot of any note I'd played against him and I couldn't recall having come across him before so I can only assume he's a complete nutter. Sorry to bore you all with this but the incident has puzzled me for days.
    In my view it's unacceptable to abuse your opponent in any circumstances though it's possible to understand it if someone's lost a big pot by getting unlucky but to do it when you've got lucky and won is incomprehensible.
  • edited September 2013
    happens all the time .i have done it on occasion myself not proud of it but wont lie about it either .he has probably been on a bad run and things have come too a head and he has just exploded .just put it down too expeirence move on and smile:@) ....as that great little song goe,s...you gotta know when to hold em...gl at the tables
  • edited September 2013
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having a moan at someone as long as you believe by doing so you could tilt your opponent. As long as you are not being abusive or agressive then a gentle dig can give you an edge next time you are in a pot with them and in poker we are always looking for an edge right??? also sometimes its nice to be the villain at your table as people will often call you light and try to take you out which is a massive bonus for you. providing when you do bust you wish people a good game and dont hold any grudges for when you next play then i think it all adds to the fun.
  • edited September 2013
    Hi P

Take no notice...its just frustration. Stack size, if you can afford it, and a game strategy is up to you. You've paid your money...you have the right. If he has AK next time he'd still be happy to see you with JT though no doubt he was waiting for you to show AQ<.
    Good luck
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Criticising a player at the table?:
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having a moan at someone as long as you believe by doing so you could tilt your opponent. As long as you are not being abusive or agressive then a gentle dig can give you an edge next time you are in a pot with them and in poker we are always looking for an edge right??? also sometimes its nice to be the villain at your table as people will often call you light and try to take you out which is a massive bonus for you. providing when you do bust you wish people a good game and dont hold any grudges for when you next play then i think it all adds to the fun.
    Posted by jordz16
    I remember a few weeks ago watching Yoyo Julian Thew in the later stages of the main event when an opponent typed something like if you keep doing that (all in on his big blind) your gonna find yourself in trouble. Julian typed back if you think your dig in the chat is going to affect my shoving range you better think again (or words to this effect). A couple of circuits later the guy had the rest of Julians chips when he got them in behind on his big blind lol, Just saying.
  • edited September 2013
    hah, i remember that

#sigh
  • edited September 2013
     After a quick read of this a couple of things come to mind.  Firstly criticising is just not a good idea. You either educate the lesser player or drive them away, therefore reducing your own profit making capabilities. Also it is a sign of tilt and not something that should be advertised to all on the table.  Secondly.This comment The opponent then starts complaining that I should not be calling with J10 and that I'm a very bad player. While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot!   The highlighted bit is a major problem in your game. It is either a good call or a bad call. The factors that determine it are stack size, reads on opponent odds and situations. Factors that do not determine it are the final result. Making a bad call and winning is still a bad decision. Getting lucky does not change this in anyway.  So i think you should go back and look at this hand again. Look at how many times you will win and how much you win and how many times you will lose and how much you will lose. In this scenario you were a 2 to 1 underdog going in. Do you really want to keep getting your monay in at those odds?
    Posted by Talon
    A few responses have mentioned my "While he is right that most of the time, that it was a poor call - in that circumstance I was right to do so as I won the pot!" comment.

I totally understand what you're saying, and yes, all-in on J10 is a bad call. The point I was trying to make was in that specific instance, it came up good. I know that this is a very bad play - but I fancied a gamble, I guess I had a feeling it would hit. Although the play is not "by the book", I do think it is important to play with instincts on rare occasions, just to mix up your image if nothing else :-)

In Response to Criticising a player at the table? : Peter, just shrug it off & move on. Yes, it's really bad form by him, but there are some people who I would describe as "bad winners & bad losers". Chirp when they win, kick off when they lose. We've all seen them here, on the Community. Heaven only knows what they must be like in real life.  Just remember this, though. They never complain when you make a "bad call" & they win the hand. Only when they lose.   The concept of "cake & eat it" is a little too complex for them to grasp. We ALL get a tad irritated when a bad call busts us. I was called in PLO8 by J-8-8-3 yesterday - it really is hard to imagine ANY PLO8 hand which is worse than that. (It won, obv!). And he CALLED with it. Did it irk me a little? Of course it did. But you THINK these things, don't say them. A little dignity is required.  Move on, it is your money, play however you want, & rise above bad losers.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sounds like very wise words to me! I guess the original post was just a rant, bad losers will not put me off my game. Thanks for that teacake! :-)

This was the guy whose alias began with an "X", right? I arrived at the table to catch the tail end and see you telling him you were going to ignore him. It's one of those things. There are jerks everywhere and if you passed someone in the street criticising the pattern on your socks, you'd just ignore him. It's even easier with online chat boxes. Usually I just tell people to focus on their own game because that's how they'll improve. Then they usually get abusive because they're not very nice people. That's when they lose my attention. As Talon says, thinking your call is good simply because you won is results oriented thinking. That's not a profitable way to view the game. We need to view our decisions as being either good or bad based upon our expected profit or loss, if we make the same decisions in the same situation over and over and over again. So if you make that call in that exact situation ten thousand times, will it make you money or cost you money? Anyway, keep posting in the clinic. Ignore the idiots and listen to the... erm... not-idiots.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Yep, that's the player! Read my response (above) to Talon's comment regarding my play.

Will keep posting in the clinic, it's such a useful resource!

Some players get abusive even when they win. Recently, in a 60p dym I called an all-in from a shorter stack with pocket eights, he turned over pocket twos and caught a 2 on the flop. Fair enough, he got lucky and hit a two outer, shrug it off and move on. What astonished me was that he then typed "TY IDIOT" in the chat box and went on to make several other abusive comments. I had no history with this oppponent, this was the first pot of any note I'd played against him and I couldn't recall having come across him before so I can only assume he's a complete nutter. Sorry to bore you all with this but the incident has puzzled me for days. In my view it's unacceptable to abuse your opponent in any circumstances though it's possible to understand it if someone's lost a big pot by getting unlucky but to do it when you've got lucky and won is incomprehensible.
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
    Wow, that's crazy! Some people are just a bit aggressive by nature I guess!

Thanks for all the comments guys, nice to know that it's not just me who experienced this :-)
  • edited September 2013
    I did have someone on here say to me

"you f**ing idiot i hope you die of Cancer" bit harsh as i only took 1 quid off him in a 1 quid hyper. lol.
  • edited September 2013
    I did have someone on here say to me "you f**ing idiot i hope you die of Cancer" bit harsh as i only took 1 quid off him in a 1 quid hyper. lol.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I've seen someone say that on here as well, must have a serial cretin playing.

I've also had someone say "I know where you live".
  • edited September 2013
    I was told I was rigged the other night which is a change from sky being rigged.

Another lad called me a nobhead and promised to go allin when I was in the bb after I got it in bad and won a big pot. Problem for him was he was utg whem I was in the bb, and the blinds were still tiny. He did go all in once though, so kudos, innit.

Cheers,,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    I was told I was rigged the other night which is a change from sky being rigged. Another lad called me a nobhead and promised to go allin when I was in the bb after I got it in bad and won a big pot. Problem for him was he was utg whem I was in the bb, and the blinds were still tiny. He did go all in once though, so kudos, innit. Cheers,, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    This is hilarious.
  • edited September 2013
    "Yer rigged you lad..."

"Dry em, cupcake" was the most tilting response I could muster.

Cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    y to register for £5.75!player A> haha stupid cu ntplayer B> no problem pal! nice to see your parents draggrd u up the right wayplayer A> another stupid cu ntajmilton> keep this lingo up and you'll probably get a chat ban ..player Aplayer A> haha what a tw atSkyPoker> The £4,000 Bounty Hunter starts in a few minutes, buy in direct for £55.player B> no mate you're just ignorant!ajmilton> there is no need to use language like that towards a player who has lost chips to you ajmilton> you should act accordingly in the chat box player A> ok mumajmilton> I'll let you off if you promise to be more civil in the future

this is a copy and paste from the chat box the other night.
    Really didn't like the attitude of player A, 
    after winning pots from player  B and myself his tone was not very sporting to say the least.
  • edited September 2013
    I knocked someone out of a mtt couple of years ago
    don't remember the hand other than it wasn't very special
    the oppo wasn't happy and let me know in no uncertain terms - for the best part of the next hour
    whenever the table broke he would come and find me on the next one!
  • edited September 2013
    Why are some people obsessed with the many different crass terms for lady parts?

Dignity is something that's important to most of us. It's amazing that some are able to look at themselves in the mirror.
  • edited September 2013
    Why are some people obsessed with the many different crass terms for lady parts? Dignity is something that's important to most of us. It's amazing that some are able to look at themselves in the mirror.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Must be said, Post of the Week Mr Borin.
  • edited September 2013
    I have to admit I used to have a bad habit of being somewhat abusive in the chat box but surprisingly never once got chat banned. I've learnt the error of my ways since then though thankfully!! I do however still say things to wind people up and then end up having a good chat with the person I originally wound up!! Even back when I was occasionally abusive I would end up doing the same thing and finishing in the chat on good terms with who I was abusive too!
  • edited September 2013
    I knocked someone out of a mtt couple of years ago don't remember the hand other than it wasn't very special the oppo wasn't happy and let me know in no uncertain terms - for the best part of the next hour whenever the table broke he would come and find me on the next one!
    Posted by GELDY
    Same thing hapened to me. On the bubble of a £5.75 Bounty Hunter I open-shoved K9o on the SB into a player with 9BB on the BB, a totally standard move as far as I'm conerned. He called with pocket TT and got knocked out as bubble-boy.  He then went ballistic, followed me around in chatboxes for over 20 minutes insulting my play. 

I'm thick skinned so it didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I laughed it off. Funnily enough the player involved is somebody who posts on this forum from time to time (and no, I won't be naming him!).
  • edited September 2013

someone used to follow me when i had knocked him out, being abusive in the chat box.  it happened more than once too.  this behaviour stopped completely once i typed in the chat box, "stalker alert: his name".  everyone playing sees what is happening.  if he continues to respond just type the same thing.  it works.

• edited September 2013
    Just been called a bike due to my name and female Avatar.

A Vespa is a Scooter not a bike !!

I did chortle :-)))
  • edited September 2013
    If it's got two wheels it's a bike.
  • edited September 2013
    I knocked someone out of a mtt couple of years ago don't remember the hand other than it wasn't very special the oppo wasn't happy and let me know in no uncertain terms - for the best part of the next hour whenever the table broke he would come and find me on the next one!
    Posted by GELDY
    Had that happen to me a while ago. They kept insulting my play and calling me a chicken if I bet folded. They kept it up all the way to the ft and only stopped when I took it down and typed in thanks for the rail mate. :-)