You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker - A poor reputation?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation?:
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : +1 We are not all on here to grind out multi-table cash or DYMs, or try and bink a fast action MTT shovefest Some of us just want to enjoy a good game of poker and low stakes good structure tourneys are ideal for that.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Really?? Do the ten min blind bh's give you a better standard than the speeds? I don't think so, you still get tons of donkage and a slower death imo. Playing one of these at a time would be nothing short of tedious. 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : +1 We are not all on here to grind out multi-table cash or DYMs, or try and bink a fast action MTT shovefest Some of us just want to enjoy a good game of poker and low stakes good structure tourneys are ideal for that.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Morning Phantom.

Fair comment, very fair comment.

By definition, a lot of the chat & comment on a poker Community is by those who "grind" the game, 12 Table etc, & of course they are important to the Business.

However.......BY FAR the greater majority, collectively worth far far more, are the regular guys, the you & me's, who just like to enjoy the game as a fun hobby, & we rarely play more than 2 or 3 Tables at a time. These people are the bedrock of this & every other poker site, & we should never forget that.

3 months ago I was playing a $3,000 WSOP PLO8 Event. This week, I have played around 50 £5 PLO8 DYM's, & I can honestly say, I've enjoyed that just as much as that Big One, more in some ways, as I can relax in these £5 jobbies, & I get to share Tables with a whole bunch of regular players who sall just sit there & have a little fun. I just have to try & find a way to beat these DYM's now - it ain't easy!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : Really?? Do the ten min blind bh's give you a better standard than the speeds? I don't think so, you still get tons of donkage and a slower death imo. Playing one of these at a time would be nothing short of tedious. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Each to their own GoonerBloke, we all enjoy different things.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : Each to their own GoonerBloke, we all enjoy different things.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Yeah for me its like comparing Arsene Wengers Arsenal with George Grahams ! Entertainment ftw !

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : Really?? Do the ten min blind bh's give you a better standard than the speeds? I don't think so, you still get tons of donkage and a slower death imo. Playing one of these at a time would be nothing short of tedious. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    When I have the time I would rather play a good structure MTT than anything else. Don't always have the time which is why I would STT rather than play a fast structure MTT. In B/H's in particular yes you are still going to get the chase the bounty shove/call wide mentality - in a slow structure you can pick your moments and take advantage of that.

For me there is more enjoyment in it, more play, opportunity for banter etc... Plus if you have an edge on many of the field, easier to exploit in a longer structure.

and as Tikay says each to their own!

I wont begrudge you enjoying whatever formats you enjoy.

Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder!
  • edited September 2013

About 6 years ago, for Channel 861 (think it was Ch 843 then?), they used to send me to do little "evening with tikay" things (lol, I know, mock away, I don't care!), & we'd spend the evening playing poker, & a camera chappie or lady would film it & it would go on the Channel.

I went to the house of a family one evening, I think it was a sort of "prize" (booby variety?) for winning some Promo, or the "Take on tikay" Tournament or something.

Anyway, it was quite a thing.

The Dad ONLY played deepstacks, he played the (then) 7.30 & 8.30 Deepstacks EVERY night. I asked him why.

"With a bit of luck, & with two deepstacks on the go, I can play all evening for about a tenner, if I go deep in one or even both, happy days, I've had a great evening playing poker for 3 or 4 hours".

Seems reasonable, or it did to me.

The Mum, however, was COMPLETELY different.

She ONLY played Turbo DYM's or Turbo Tourneys.

She wanted a MAXIMUM of half an hour at a time. So she'd play for 20 or 30 minutes, then cook the dinner, have dinner with the family, watch Corrie, then play another Turbo jobbie, as she wanted it to finish before Brookside (or whatever) started.

Both of them LOVED their poker, but enjoyed TOTALLY different types of poker.

It's quite amazing how we see, day after day, "Bounty hunters/Freezeouts/whatevers are rubbish & there are too many/not enough".

Everyone likes different things, & many lack tolerance to the views of others. "Me me me" is fair enough, but "me" comes in many different shapes, sizes, & preferences. 

Trying to look after, in this example, Mum AND Dad is quite a difficult thing.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : Yeah for me its like comparing Arsene Wengers Arsenal with George Grahams ! Entertainment ftw !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Brilliant analogy!

They both get the same job done (or did), but in very different ways. Both got a ton of criticism, too. You can please some of the peeps, some of the time.....

• edited September 2013
    Morning Tikay

Always enjoy your contributions you consistently demonstrate that you actually CARE about the punters and this community and look for ways to improve the site for all tastes.

Obviously "the suits" need to focus on bottom line and may be tempted to tinker with structures based on entries. Please keep standing up for us smaller guys who are recreational players and play for enjoyment.

Big +1

PL08 now there is a format I don't enjoy - too many calculations in too short a time and have misread a few hands when there was no low!

getting my head around PLO though and dabble in DYMs every now and then. Early stages usually works to play only genuine Omaha hands in early rounds. However as they don't come around so often I do struggle with what a good range is to open / call with when the blinds are biting.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? : Its pathetic that people think its ok to single Tikay out anytime anything bad is said about anything then come back with the oh im sorry story. He is great for this site, without sounding up his axx lol. Just look at the post on show nite with him compare to the rest of the shows. A ll he ever does is help you guys & bite his tongue when hes in the firing line.
    Posted by seppe
    Yes I agree with you totally and that is why I apologised to him. What I said was totally out of character for me (not just about Tikay but other things too)  Sorry you were so offendedby it Seppe.
  • edited September 2013
    Morning Tikay Always enjoy your contributions you consistently demonstrate that you actually CARE about the punters and this community and look for ways to improve the site for all tastes. Obviously "the suits" need to focus on bottom line and may be tempted to tinker with structures based on entries. Please keep standing up for us smaller guys who are recreational players and play for enjoyment. Big +1 PL08 now there is a format I don't enjoy - too many calculations in too short a time and have misread a few hands when there was no low! getting my head around PLO though and dabble in DYMs every now and then. Early stages usually works to play only genuine Omaha hands in early rounds. However as they don't come around so often I do struggle with what a good range is to open / call with when the blinds are biting.
    Posted by Phantom66

Disclaimer – I struggle to beat PLO & PLO8 DYM’s, I just about break even, so maybe I’m not best qualified to give you any help, but I actually think I teach the game (at the basic level) better than I can play it, as I’m such a nit. I do play very technically correct, though, FWIW. 

Anyway, all regular (one table) SNG’s & DYM’s work to much the same Formula, the whole thing is understanding stack dynamics & when you have to start shoving. 

Let’s take a PLO DYM as an example.

This is all about one thing only – how we play when four handed.

Up until then, nothing matters too much, but it is important NOT to bleeds too much of our 2,000 starting stack away.  

In Levels one & two, in PLO, it IS OK to peel & limp much more so than in NLH. But try to avoid the dreadful practice of trying to see a cheap flop every hand, it is the road to ruin, unless we get lucky.

Be selective, remember position, & STOP limping & peeling once you are down to 1,600 or 1,700.  

When we get 4 handed, the Blinds are usually about 200-400, or 300-600. With 12,000 chips in play @ 300-600, the AVERAGE stack is 5 Bigs. This might sound odd to an MTT or Cash player, but it is perfectly standard in a DYM.

So we have a 5 or 6 BB stack to play with, & this is the crucial stage.

NEVER limp now, ever ever ever.  

TRY to be the opener & POT IT, the max bet. Commit to it – if someone repots it, NO MATTER WHAT, we ain’t folding. 

ALWAYS try to be the one who opens – remember, MOST TIMES they will fold, so your odds change dramatically.  

Only be the caller (all-in) or re-raiser if your hand is VERY VERY STRONG, or if Matey Boy has less than 2 Bigs.  

Remember, always, it is better to shove with a marginal than call with a marginal. Much easier, too.   

What sort of hands to push with?

Hands that have several ways of winning.

A naked pair of Jacks (say, J-J-7-3) is pretty useless really.

Much better to have some decent equity against ANY hand with, say, J-10-9-8 double suited, or any “big” rundown.

Big Aces, as long as they are not naked, are fine, too.

A-K-x-x is good, A-Q-x-x, A-J-x-x, these are all good at this stage. All paint is good, too, or even three paint.
     Hope that helps a bit.  Naked pairs are VERY vulnerable though.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • edited September 2013
    i dont get people who moan about the standard of us "sky" players.. if we are that bad then rather than just moaning cos we get the odd bad beat why dont they just come and take our "easy money" 

surely they want me to call their all in with 74... gotta exect that 74 WILL win sometimes, but not in the long run! 
  • edited September 2013

Thanks Tikay

I'm pretty good on STT dynamics it's the adjustment from knowing what to open shove or call with from NL to Omaha.

IE what is the equivalent of Ax, small pair, connected high cards, so your ranges are very useful thanks.

• edited September 2013
    Thanks Tikay I'm pretty good on STT dynamics it's the adjustment from knowing what to open shove or call with from NL to Omaha. IE what is the equivalent of Ax, small pair, connected high cards, so your ranges are very useful thanks.
    Posted by Phantom66
      Difficult to do a direct comparison of hands here. With an Ax hand you are hoping to get it in against KQ KJ type hands which make you about 60/40. Or better still a worse Ace for 70/30

In PLO the best starting hand is AAKK ds but if it is up against 89TJ ds(other 2 suits) then it is only about a 2 to 1 favourite preflop. Unless called by a real raggy hand you are never that far in front. I would focus on hands that work together well and have as many of your 6 hands nut drawing as possible
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker - A poor reputation? :   Difficult to do a direct comparison of hands here. With an Ax hand you are hoping to get it in against KQ KJ type hands which make you about 60/40. Or better still a worse Ace for 70/30  In PLO the best starting hand is AAKK ds but if it is up against 89TJ ds(other 2 suits) then it is only about a 2 to 1 favourite preflop. Unless called by a real raggy hand you are never that far in front. I would focus on hands that work together well and have as many of your 6 hands nut drawing as possible
    Posted by Talon
    Absolutely this.

We are never far ahead, or far behind, we just need to play enough hands to beat variance, & get a bit of run-good.

Very important to remember that "hands that work well together" thing, this is the KEY to PLO & PLO8. We'd almost rather have a nice double suited rundown, 8-9-10-J or similar, double suited, than "bad" Aces. A-A-9-4 is just horrible, it is SO vulnerable, as one pair ain't gonna win often unless we get Heads Up, & even then barely half the time.
  • edited September 2013

COMPLETELY AGREE WITH OPENING POST .... WOULD SOONER PLAY A 5,000 RUNNER MTT ON STARS OR TILT SO CLEARED MY ACCOUNT & I AM OFF HERE .... BYE

• edited September 2013
    COMPLETELY AGREE WITH OPENING POST .... WOULD SOONER PLAY A 5,000 RUNNER MTT ON STARS OR TILT SO CLEARED MY ACCOUNT & I AM OFF HERE .... BYE
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    I guess they read the opening post and nowt else lol. At last someone agreed !
  • edited September 2013
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Thanks for your contribution to the forum over the last 2 years

BYE