You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can I get away from this?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
hhyftrftdrSmall blind 30.0030.0010200.00
brimicombeBig blind 60.0090.009940.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

Dai_VaderFold    
homersmpsnFold    
5ausagesRaise 120.00210.009500.00
XCall 120.00330.0012655.00
hhyftrftdrRaise 360.00690.009840.00
brimicombeFold    
5ausagesFold    
XCall 270.00960.0012385.00
Flop

• Q
  • J

hhyftrftdrBet 775.001735.009065.00
XCall 775.002510.0011610.00
Turn

hhyftrftdrBet 1890.004400.007175.00
XRaise 8180.0012580.003430.00
2nd level of the Roller. Had hardly played a hand, not tangled with villain but had clocked them as weak/inexperienced from what I'd seen at the table. 

Can I fold this in such a slow, deep structured tournament? Still have a very healthy stack behind me....

Comments

• edited September 2013
    No. He probably has 9T at least 30% of the time, if not more but against the rest of his range we're crushing it. (worse sets/2 pairs) He could have combo draws but he might not - either way I don't think it matters as we do well enough vs his range w/o including combo draws. We can still suck out the times he does have a straight!! JJ is a tad closer and 88 is probably a fold unless you think he can have a good amount of QJ.
  • edited September 2013
    Woooow that's a fooooking horrible spot cos you just KNOW they have 9T like 90%+ of the time.

I think we should just fold, you're still super deep and you'll get a ton more chances to stack them in spots where you're not probably drawing to houses with 1 card to come.
  • edited September 2013
    Imo folding here would be bad. losing to only 910 and even then we aren't drawing dead i think its fine to be calling here. your ahead of all his 2pr or pr draw combos GII

EDIT and then sigh when he turns 89 cos you know he had it when you called
  • edited September 2013
    If he's weak he's probably just flatting the turn with Q8/J8... if he's gonna raise with JJ I reckon it's more likely he does it on the flop than the turn (likewise with 66). 88 is fairly unlikely and it's just one of them awful raise sizes that I don't think we need to stack off against without some decent knowledge of the oppo
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this?:
    If he's weak he's probably just flatting the turn with Q8/J8... if he's gonna raise with JJ I reckon it's more likely he does it on the flop than the turn (likewise with 66). 88 is fairly unlikely and it's just one of them awful raise sizes that I don't think we need to stack off against without some decent knowledge of the oppo
    Posted by Lambert180
    Crikey! We need "decent knowledge of the oppo" to put him on any hand other than the nuts?

Get it in, man. We've got 20% even if we're behind and pot odds for the lot at 34%. We're not going to be behind 90%+ of the time, surely? Why can't we think that "weak inexperienced" players are getting carried away with two-pair or slow-playing weaker sets on the flop here?

Harry! Post it on the show thread, please. Let them see it.... I like it when they do the hidden card things, too. Do it for me!
  • edited September 2013
    I'm just thinking situationally... from my experience "weak inexperienced" players don't buy in to or sat into the the biggest MTT on Sky which only runs once a month and then 'fook it, I'm gonna go nuts with 2pr early doors'. Personally I can't see him having Q8/J8/66/88 that often, and if he had a big combo draw, it's likely gonna be a draw that works well with the flop so if he was gonna raise either flop or turn it would more likelybe the flop.

Less experienced players imo will be VERY cautious in the early stages of the roller, and are gonna be nut peddling mostly.

Do plz get it on 861 (and then post result here cos I'm not watching lol). I reckon Harry folded and was correct to do so. Bet you villian has 9T!
  • edited September 2013
    I'm just thinking situationally... from my experience "weak inexperienced" players don't buy in to or sat into the the biggest MTT on Sky which only runs once a month and then 'fook it, I'm gonna go nuts with 2pr early doors'. Personally I can't see him having Q8/J8/66/88 that often, and if he had a big combo draw, it's likely gonna be a draw that works well with the flop so if he was gonna raise either flop or turn it would more likelybe the flop. Less experienced players imo will be VERY cautious in the early stages of the roller, and are gonna be nut peddling mostly. Do plz get it on 861 (and then post result here cos I'm not watching lol). I reckon Harry folded and was correct to do so. Bet you villian has 9T!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Well, if I were a betting man I'd say he called and lost...

...I've also just looked at the tournament lobby.
  • edited September 2013
    Seeing that villain had 9T wouldn't prove anything becaue as I said he might have it at least 30% of the time. But I've called enough of these shoves to know that hands like JJ, 66, QJ and 88 are hands that villain can have. Granted Q8 and j8 might be less likely but it's still a possibility. And I'm 99% certain that folding here is really bad.
  • edited September 2013
    Seeing that villain had 9T wouldn't prove anything becaue as I said he might have it at least 30% of the time. But I've called enough of these shoves to know that hands like JJ, 66, QJ and 88 are hands that villain can have. Granted Q8 and j8 might be less likely but it's still a possibility. And I'm 99% certain that folding here is really bad.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    But have you made enough of these calls in the Roller?

I know it sounds picky but imo it does really change it things. People early stages of the Roller reeeeeeallly don't wanna bust, or at least weaker players don't anyway. I mean no1 WANTS to lol... but ya know what I mean.

No different from we have to view certain spots differently in a £2 BH than we would if it was the £55 Primo.
  • edited September 2013
    i could never fold this he could easily have a lower set 
  • edited September 2013

obv its a cooler  as hh has got knocked out early i wouldnt beat yaself up over this im calling here all day long go ftw u would kick yaself if u folded and he showed up with a lower set 

to fold for 1 certain hand is madness imo 
  • edited September 2013
    What?

no! ofc we cant.

Break the mouse spot!
  • edited September 2013

It's no secret that I called, and was up against the turned straight! As soon as he raised, my heart kinda sank. I knew he/she had it, but I levelled myself into calling as I felt the villain could also do this with a lower set or top 2.

Feel like I'm making poor decisions lately, so it's somewhat reassuring to see the majority go broke here. Can also see Lambert's POV though. It looks like 9 10, it smells like 9 10. I knew, deep down, it was 9 10, yet I still couldn't fold.

Taking really poor MTT form into the double ME gtd week is kinda frustrating.

I've not sold myself very well but I'll be (90% certain) playing every main this coming week bar Wednesday when I'm at the City/Munich game. If anyone wants some action then just PM me.

Sigh.

Edit - double GTD's week is a week away, gives me 7 days to run/play better! Also means I should be able to play them all.

• edited September 2013
    UL Harry, horrible spot to be in.

FWIW, I think it's even more of a fold because not only are we gonna see 9T an insane amount of the time, imo Harry's edge over the field of a Sky roller will be pretty massive and there's no need to just call it off and hope he has a smaller set (which is unlikely) when he can use his edge in tons of better spots.
  • edited September 2013
    are u sure u aint being results orientated ofc u have to call here are u mad 

lambert easy to say u can fold here when u know its a cooler and hh busted but really i think u would call here aswell most people are 

to fold here is insane and alot of mtt regs would agree im pretty sure of it 
  • edited September 2013
    are u sure u aint being results orientated ofc u have to call here are u mad  lambert easy to say u can fold here when u know its a cooler and hh busted but really i think u would call here aswell most people are  to fold here is insane and alot of mtt regs would agree im pretty sure of it 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I said it's a fold before I saw the result, before I knew he bust and before I knew what his action was. I even said above I think Harry will have folded.

Reminds me of something Thewy said a while ago about some situations where people are just like 'well you've got X so just cannot fold' but if you really think abuot the situation, I just don't think he's raising to this size without 9T here like ever.
  • edited September 2013

My straight villain has just been on the show, Gina1990 who peeled in the BB with 8 2 from a 20bb stack after an utg 3x.

Sigh.

• edited September 2013
    lol see that  stop n go :p 
  • edited September 2013
    My straight villain has just been on the show, Gina1990 who peeled in the BB with 8 2 from a 20bb stack after an utg 3x. Sigh.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You mean the player open-shoving twice the pot with just top pair?

Lambert, I think we all knew Harry probably bust this hand from the thread title. I just think it's being way too nitty to fold here. We shouldn't be assuming we need reads to say that a villain can get it in without the nuts. We should need reads to tell us that they never do this without the nuts. The size of the buy-in doesn't constitute a reliable read.

Our pot odds and the chances we're way, way ahead make this a clear call.

You talk about Harry's edge but how big is his edge really going to be if he's folding the second nuts, with effective pot odds of 2:1, and no reads on the villain other than "weak, inexperienced"?
  • edited September 2013
    lol see that  stop n go :p 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I don't even think it was a stop n' go! Just a brainless peel and then ship top pair thinking their miles ahead.

Yet they got all my chips, so perhaps I'm the chump ;)
  • edited September 2013
    I disagree that the BI isn't a good indicator, it's not foolproof obviously but when you see someone deemed to be weak and inexperienced happy piling in stacks in what, level 2? I don't know the structure, maybe level 3, with a 10k starting stack. Probably a tournament that's quite big for them, and certainly a tournament all of us only get a chance of playing once a month.

Obv an extreme example but to illustrate the point... someone takes this line in the 3rd level of the WSOP ME.... or someone takes this line in the 3rd level of a £2.30 BH.... which one readless are we more likely to think is super nutted?

His edge will be pretty big, we can't discount it cos of this 1 hand. Sometimes people stack off very deep with K high flushes against very obvious nut flushes, some people don't. To me, this is very obviously 9T, maybe I'm way off, and obv they have 9T here but we don't know and will never know if they'd have taken the same line with something else but I find it very hard to believe they would.
  • edited September 2013
    how do u know its a newby how do u know they satted in  

before we know this person crushed on p stars or another site n makes loads of money 
  • edited September 2013
    Snap call.

Snappy snap snap SNAP CALL.

Yeah he pops up with the nuts once in a while but a lot of the time he has worse.

I'd have to have a VERY SPECIFIC read to fold here.

And even then I'd probably still call.

You said villain was inexperienced.  All the more reason this is a call IMO.

Yep.

Its a call.

• edited September 2013
    how do u know its a newby how do u know they satted in   before we know this person crushed on p stars or another site n makes loads of money 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I don't, I'm going from Harry's reads. He said the villian seemed weak and inexperienced, so it's unlikely they're crushing on stars
  • edited September 2013
    Should perhaps elaborate on the weak/inexperienced aspect. They were playing almost every hand, but in a very passive manner pre flop. Limped almost every hand. Was happy to limp call then check fold. Would sometimes click it back on the turn or river (strong indicator of a weak player IMO).

Would've been more alarmed had they clicked it back on that turn card.

I like to think I'd have folded this live (was making some ridic folds in the Grand Prix this weekend), but in the 15 seconds or so that Sky give you I just couldn't do it. I'm not sure whether I've been coolered out the tournament or if I've perhaps unearthed an MTT leak that needs serious attention.
  • edited September 2013
    Even better reads for a fold imo.

Loose passive player suddenly takes off = wow I've got the nuts

It's brutal Harry and ridic hard to fold in 15 seconds. I definitely wouldn't think of it as a big leak btw, don't think you'll be in this kinda spot very often lol.
  • edited September 2013
    Lambert, you're making an assumption based on an idea that "people don't stack off light in big buy-in MTT's." That's not a read on an individual,and it's not a read on the majority of players. Yes we can say that there are some players that won't stack off here without the nuts, but are they the majority of unknown players? No. Are they the majority of unknown weak players? I don't think so.

Even if we had some specific reason to believe that this villain never gets it in without a massive hand, how are we to know that he doesn't consider QJ, JJ, 88 or 66 on this board to be the effective nuts?

I think we need steel-reinforced concrete reads, with so much money in the middle and such a massive hand, to fold in this spot. We don't have those reads, we only have an idea that some inexperienced players won't stack off without the stone colds.
  • edited September 2013
    Should perhaps elaborate on the weak/inexperienced aspect. They were playing almost every hand, but in a very passive manner pre flop. Limped almost every hand. Was happy to limp call then check fold. Would sometimes click it back on the turn or river (strong indicator of a weak player IMO). Would've been more alarmed had they clicked it back on that turn card. I like to think I'd have folded this live (was making some ridic folds in the Grand Prix this weekend), but in the 15 seconds or so that Sky give you I just couldn't do it. I'm not sure whether I've been coolered out the tournament or if I've perhaps unearthed an MTT leak that needs serious attention.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No.

I call.  MattBates calls.  TommyD calls.  Yoyo calls.  To have top set and only be losing to 1 very specific hand it'd be such a bad fold IMO.  This is such a great opportunity to DU and start crushing the tournament.

• edited September 2013
    hardly a leak its a cooler i think any decent mtt reg on this site goes broke here 
  • edited September 2013
    Lambert, you're making an assumption based on an idea that "people don't stack off light in big buy-in MTT's." That's not a read on an individual,and it's not a read on the majority of players. Yes we can say that there are some players that won't stack off here without the nuts, but are they the majority of unknown players? No. Are they the majority of unknown weak players? I don't think so. Even if we had some specific reason to believe that this villain never gets it in without a massive hand, how are we to know that he doesn't consider QJ, JJ, 88 or 66 on this board to be the effective nuts? I think we need steel-reinforced concrete reads, with so much money in the middle and such a massive hand, to fold in this spot. We don't have those reads, we only have an idea that some inexperienced players won't stack off without the stone colds.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    This is what swayed me into calling. It wasn't a clickback which I'd seen them do a couple of times, and even though I was far from loving it, I felt villain would treat the above hands as the best hand and be totally dominated by my 3 Queens.