You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can I get away from this?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this?:
    Should perhaps elaborate on the weak/inexperienced aspect. They were playing almost every hand, but in a very passive manner pre flop. Limped almost every hand. Was happy to limp call then check fold. Would sometimes click it back on the turn or river (strong indicator of a weak player IMO). Would've been more alarmed had they clicked it back on that turn card. I like to think I'd have folded this live (was making some ridic folds in the Grand Prix this weekend), but in the 15 seconds or so that Sky give you I just couldn't do it. I'm not sure whether I've been coolered out the tournament or if I've perhaps unearthed an MTT leak that needs serious attention.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Okay, well those are better reads. I don't suppose you saw any of those hands they clicked back?

I still don't think we can fold. As I said in my other post, we can't know that their range is precisely the nuts and that they're not getting it in with weaker sets or two-pairs.

Even if we're giving them just a couple of weaker made hands, we're going to be a 98% favourite versus those hands with pot odds of 34%.

Even when they have the straight, we have nearly 23% equity. We need to say "This guy can only ever have specifically this one hand" in order for the fold to be good. We don't have that read. We have the fear of that, but fear's not a good reason to fold.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : No. I call.  MattBates calls.  TommyD calls.  Yoyo calls.  To have top set and only be losing to 1 very specific hand it'd be such a bad fold IMO.  This is such a great opportunity to DU and start crushing the tournament.
    Posted by gazza127
    Bet Ebberdon could get away ;)
  • edited September 2013
    knowing yoyos luck he  gets dissconected on this hand and comes back to tid lol :)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : Bet Ebberdon could get away ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Yeah only cause he only plays the nuts!  He probably check/folds the turn.
  • edited September 2013
    So let's give them a couple of weaker hands.

16 combos of 9T

3 combos of QJ
    3 combos of 88

I'm ruling out Q8/J8 cos I just don't think they're likely enough, and I think 66/JJ/QQ if they're gonna raise would do it on the flop but we can add in them extra 9 combos (3 of each) if you like.

Absolute best if you include them all 50% of the time we have a 20% shot, 50% of the time we double.

Really wanna take that kinda gamble of busting when we could just fold and have 100+ BBs and a big edge over the field?

EDIT: In fact it wouldnt even be a 20% shot would it? Cos them having sets reduces our house outs and obv gives them quad outs
  • edited September 2013
    So let's give them a couple of weaker hands. 16 combos of 9T 3 combos of QJ 3 combos of 88 I'm ruling out Q8/J8 cos I just don't think they're likely enough, and I think 66/JJ/QQ if they're gonna raise would do it on the flop but we can add in them extra 9 combos (3 of each) if you like. Absolute best if you include them all 50% of the time we bust, 50% of the time we double. Really wanna take that kinda gamble of busting when we could just fold and have 100+ BBs and a big edge over the field?
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'd be concerned if villain also had pocket Queens ;)
  • edited September 2013
    So let's give them a couple of weaker hands. 16 combos of 9T 3 combos of QJ 3 combos of 88 I'm ruling out Q8/J8 cos I just don't think they're likely enough, and I think 66/JJ/QQ if they're gonna raise would do it on the flop but we can add in them extra 9 combos (3 of each) if you like. Absolute best if you include them all 50% of the time we have a 20% shot, 50% of the time we double. Really wanna take that kinda gamble of busting when we could just fold and have 100+ BBs and a big edge over the field?
    Posted by Lambert180

Can't do that against a passive player who likes to see a flop.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : Can't do that against a passive player who likes to see a flop.
    Posted by gazza127
    I agree they can have it pre, and on the flop, but I very much doubt they'd ever raise to this size with them. They're just too weak for your average loose/passive player to think 'wooo I've hit the world', they're still dangerous hands so he'd probably continue to call down.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : I agree they can have it pre, and on the flop, but I very much doubt they'd ever raise to this size with them. They're just too weak for your average loose/passive player to think 'wooo I've hit the world', they're still dangerous hands so he'd probably continue to call down.
    Posted by Lambert180

Too much of an assumption.  I've seen players stack off with much worse thinking its the nuts.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : Too much of an assumption.  I've seen players stack off with much worse thinking its the nuts.
    Posted by gazza127
    So have I...

But in level 2 of the biggest BI, deepest stacked, slowest MTT on the site?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can I get away from this? : So have I... But in level 2 of the biggest BI, deepest stacked, slowest MTT on the site?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yep.

Just because its a higher BI... it doesnt necessarily change the thought process and style of play.  We have to consider a range of hands.

We beat most of villains range IMO.  And even if we are behind we have multiple outs.  Im not folding.
  • edited September 2013
    Hey HH

Really unlucky, 100% 15 seconds is not long at all, i prob sigh call.

Either way, i don't think it's a mistake just a cooler as someone else said. It could well be other hands, but ineperienced passive player who all of a sudden shows massive strength they normally have it.
  • edited September 2013
    Late to this thread, and I'm certainly no authority on the matter, but as others have indicated it's just a supremely horrible situation/spot. Perfect example of when you really want a timebank on Sky Poker. I reckon I am probably calling this as well, but yeah, you just know they are holding 9 10. I think you made a 'good' call, because we should not often be folding to one specific hand, unless we have a very good reason to suspect they have it.

I agree with Larson too - as soon as those weaker players have a 'raise-orgasm' it generally means the nuts.
  • edited September 2013

Sixteen combos of 9T. Three combos of 88:

20640 / 19 = 1086
    3 x 1086 = 3258
    3258 x 97.73% = 3184

1086 x 16 = 17376
    17376 x 22.73% = 3950

3184 + 3950 = 7134

So even when the villain has only one other hand in his range, we're only making a loss of 41 chips on a call of 7175.

Admittedly it's a "tournament life"/ICM/bubble factor question, whatever you want to call it, where the chips in our stack have a higher value than the ones in the middle. However, if he can have 88, why can't he have 66 or JJ or QJ?

So we need to put him on specifically 9T and only 9T for this fold to be correct. Even if we think 9T is nearly four times more likely than other hands, it's still a call.

Those who are saying this is a good situation for a time bank: In the words of Carlo Citrone "You're snap-calling and high-fiving the dealer!"

The idea that folding here is to protect your edge is crazy, in my opinion. You're folding the second nuts just because someone raised. We have no edge if we're folding in this situation. We're going to steal the blinds a bunch of times but fold all our big hands as soon as an unknown player raises us and justifying it on the basis of the buy-in being big. That's just not good.

• edited September 2013
    I gotta go now so I'll reply later but imo one important factor is being missed.

This isn't 'just a raise' and it's not just because it's a bigger BI... but this villian has raised ONE HUNDRED big blinds more than our bet! People just don't do that even the tiniest bit light.
  • edited September 2013
    Sixteen combos of 9T. Three combos of 88: 20640 / 19 = 1086 3 x 1086 = 3258 3258 x 97.73% = 3184 1086 x 16 = 17376 17376 x 22.73% = 3950 3184 + 3950 = 7134 So even when the villain has only one other hand in his range, we're only making a loss of 41 chips on a call of 7175. Admittedly it's a "tournament life"/ICM/bubble factor question, whatever you want to call it, where the chips in our stack have a higher value than the ones in the middle. However, if he can have 88, why can't he have 66 or JJ or QJ?   So we need to put him on specifically 9T and only 9T for this fold to be correct. Even if we think 9T is nearly four times more likely than other hands, it's still a call. Those who are saying this is a good situation for a time bank: In the words of Carlo Citrone "You're snap-calling and high-fiving the dealer!" The idea that folding here is to protect your edge is crazy, in my opinion. You're folding the second nuts just because someone raised. We have no edge if we're folding in this situation. We're going to steal the blinds a bunch of times but fold all our big hands as soon as an unknown player raises us and justifying it on the basis of the buy-in being big. That's just not good.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Borin - I think part of a good player's edge is knowing you they are beaten. It's a gut instinct. I'm not saying you fold every time or even most of the time, but in this instance, I can certainly see why a player may do so, and I don't necessarily think that is wrong. I remember Phil Helmuth saying he folded KK pre flop when he had been re-raised at the WSOP, because he just had a hunch the other guy had AA. Turns out he was right, and that was obviously assigning a range of a single hand! Doesn't mean I would ever recommend making a habit of folding kings pre - just that there are instances when you can do so with a fair amount of certainty.

Follow your gut, man :)
  • edited September 2013

Look, sat at the table I'm sure I'd have a bad feeling about this and think there's a really good chance I'm facing the nuts.

However, I have to be 100% sure that I'm facing the nuts to fold because, even if villain can have just one or two weaker hands, this is a losing fold.

We have no reads on this individual player so there is no way we can be 100% sure that they always have precisely the nuts. That means that, even with a gut feeling that we may be behind, the fold is necessarily a losing one and is, therefore, necessarily wrong.

Good players who follow their gut are following a gut feeling that has grown from millions of hands: Making good and bad decisions and learning from each. That gut instinct is based on experience of rational decision making. So when we have a gut feeling here, it should be in agreement with rational thought. It shouldn't override it.

Live poker is a different matter. I'm not suggesting you should follow Phil Hellmuth's gameplay, in particular, but in live play we have the ability to judge our opponents' confidence. If we face a big 5-bet from a normally nervous and tight guy who suddenly looks really comfortable, we can lay down KK. None of that information is available online.

It's not a question of gut feeling. It's a question of numbers, the strength of our hand and the likelihood that our opponent can have us beat. If you have any doubt at all about that "gut instinct" then folding is bad.

Regarding the raise size: It's a turn raise to twice the pot to almost set us in. It's irrelevant that it's 100 big blinds. It's a normal raise size, relative to the size of the pot and whether it's rational for the villain to think the money is going in on this turn. If he'd raised to 5k, would you say he looked weaker, even though we only have 7k back?

Obviously we think the villain is very strong. Our reads tell us he is almost certainly never holding a draw or airball and not overvaluing one-pair. However, we don't have reads that say he can never have weaker sets or two pairs. Against his range, we just have to call. We shouldn't be worried about it, either.

• edited September 2013

OK, I think the majority of us agree with it being a call but I wonder at what point do we start folding? JJ? 88? 66? All 2 pair hands are pretty easy folds IMO, but how high of a set do we need? I think JJ is where it gets really close. 88 or worse and I am comfortable in folding but I just don't know with jacks!!

@ Lambert: Did you see the rest of villains tourney play? I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned he got it in with 82 on an 8xx flop after calling a 3x raise pre. Does that look like someone who is scared and unwilling to put it in w/o the nuts? Rather it suggests he overvalues hands but is willing to go with something if he thinks it's ahead. Just because someone appers to be loose/passive doesn't mean they won't overvalue hands that they think are the nuts in a specific situation. They may be calling a lot because most of the time they only have a pair/draw at best but when they have 2 pair or better they will take off.

hh also said that they'd click backed river a few times - now unless they're picking up constant monsters then there's a good chance that they're raising relatively wide for value in some spots.

• edited September 2013
    "You're folding the second nuts just because someone raised. We have no edge if we're folding in this situation."

Was an all in right? So it's quite a big raise.

Slip makes the point really well, about going with instinct and gut feel. Clearly you fold, you have your stack, call and lose and you are out.

Not that it matters either way, we called and lost it's just a cooler.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm glad this hand has provoked a nice debate, the only good thing to come from the hand in my eyes! 

I hated that raise. Absolutely hated it. And I knew that I was quite possibly up against the straight. But I was also confident the villain would consider JJ, 88 and 66 as the nuts, and maybe even QJ. In the very brief time I had to make a decision, I felt I had to go for it. If I'm behind to the only hand in the deck, I have outs. If I'm ahead, which I feel I am a healthy amount of the time, I'm miles ahead and scooping a huge pot. But it was a gamble to a degree and I was very aware it was for my tournament life. Been dwelling on it all day and can't decide in my own mind if it was the right call, when I have time to think about it. In that tiny time bar you get on Sky, with such limited time to process your thoughts, I couldn't find the fold button. 

Paul, your comments about my ''big edge'' in a Roller are very kind but probably misplaced. The Roller generally attracts a different quality of tournament player. Whilst I think I'm probably one of the better MTT players on the site, in a Roller I don't feel that I have much of an edge, unless I get a fortunate table draw.

Worst part is, I have to wait a month for the next one! ;)
  • edited September 2013
    I think you underestimate yourself or underestimate the number of weak players that will just BI to take a shot or satellite in. From what I've seen the standard is pretty poor, granted you'll get a few very good players who might not normally play on Sky to give it a go but I still think out of the 292 runners, I'd be shocked if you weren't a better player than probably 240+ of them, and I mean considerably better
  • edited September 2013
    u would need very concrete reads to fold this,

essentially you should never fold

such a long thread :)
  • edited September 2013
    Its never a fold in game. The prob is as its been posted, people will say ye well it has to be a straight so id prob fold etc. Like i say in game no1 ever folds ere