You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

movie cryptic part 4

Comments

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: movie cryptic part 4:
    18 Getting desperate - The Hole?
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
     Wild stab in the dark misses by a long way
  • edited September 2013

18, SKY FALL?
  • edited September 2013
     18, SKY FALL?
    Posted by lufc333
     Thats only 1 word unfortunately
  • edited September 2013
    Is the spelling of Excercise significant? As in the extra C?
  • edited September 2013
    14) Pirates !

Pilates change the L to R!
  • edited September 2013
    Late comer,

18 the ring?

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    Well done guys that is both correct
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks Talon, can't believe I would have ever seriously attempted cryptics without these threads, never mind found myself working some out.

Setting them must be a whole new level though so Respect Sir! I can't begin to see how you come up with clues like the Aliens one.
  • edited September 2013
    Had a bash at setting one back for you Talon.

Band initial and map combine for a place that is not heaven (6,2)

• edited September 2013
    Vivaldi Composition starts a rerun? (6,6,6,6,3,6)
  • edited October 2013
    Vivaldi Composition starts a rerun? (6,6,6,6,3,6)
    Posted by Phantom66
     Spring,summer,autumn,winter and spring. Bit of a toughie with that being about its third title. The first in its original language then followed by the standard americanised one which had fall instead of autumn before this one for the UK. Must admit though the other clue has me stumped
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: movie cryptic part 4 :  Spring,summer,autumn,winter and spring. Bit of a toughie with that being about its third title. The first in its original language then followed by the standard americanised one which had fall instead of autumn before this one for the UK. Must admit though the other clue has me stumped
    Posted by Talon
    As you know your stuff I didn't want to patronise you.

Re the other one I fear I may confused a cryptic officiando with a slightly misleading use of language (unintended at the time).

Perhaps a slightly more correct setting would be

Initially another band and a map combine to give a place that is not heaven (6,2)

• edited October 2013
    ... and as we are in britain I think it's fair to use british titles!
  • edited October 2013
    ... and as we are in britain I think it's fair to use british titles!
    Posted by Phantom66
     True. But left only one route possible and vivaldi was total give away. If you went for the american version then you could have gone.

Does bouncy mathematician stumble over season only to bounce again
  • edited October 2013

Initially another band and a map combine to give a place that is not heaven (6,2)

Even then thinking about that change I may be misleading you - dont want to spoil the chase - but not fair if my naivety is making it impossible to solve!

The main key to solving the clue is you need to build an anagram from the initial of another word for band and the whole of another word for map.

"place that is not heaven" contains 2 clues one to the whole answer and one to the second part of the answer

• edited October 2013
     Have one possible answer and if it is not right then you can have the win

Band is a group which gives us G combined with atlas(from map)  leads to stalag

Only stalag i know is stalag 17. Brilliant prisoner film by the way. Cant see where the 17 comes from but any stalag would be not heaven
  • edited October 2013
     Have one possible answer and if it is not right then you can have the win  Band is a group which gives us G combined with atlas(from map)  leads to stalag  Only stalag i know is stalag 17. Brilliant prisoner film by the way. Cant see where the 17 comes from but any stalag would be not heaven
    Posted by Talon
    Correct of course, think knowing it is a film too is key to completing the answer.

There is no literal expanation of 17 - so probably another mistake of mine in clue setting.

There is a band Heaven 17 - which is not the answer.

If you could suggest a more correct question based on my logic I would appreciate it
  • edited October 2013
    cryptic clues do have a standarised form, and rules.

first the clue should contain a definition either at the beginning or the end of the clue,  never in the middle.

there should be no extraneous words. if it doesn't refer to the answer directly or form part of the 'instructions' on how to get the answer, it shouldn't be there.

you shouldn't really anagram words not in the clue. 'atlas ground-force' could clue stalag, where 'ground' is an anagram indicator and force = g. but 'map ground-force would not be seen as 'fair game'.

column loses little, group loses sanctuary: it's no fun here [6,2]

would be one way of clueing it.

column [stalagmite] loses [take off] little [mite], group [heaven 17] loses [take off] sanctuary [heaven], it's no fun here [definiton of the clue]. 

note the clue reads like a sentence, the suface meaning is kinda cloudy, and you have to decipher the clue from there.

some clues are called &lits. these are the diamonds in the rough for setters and solvers. here the answer and the cryprtic clue combine, often in surprising ways. consider:

bust down reason! [9]

this looks like a regular consise clue, and in many ways it is. it leads to the answer BRAINWASH, that is to break down someones reasoning ability. why is it in a cryptic crossword then? well you can also split BRAINWASH into BRA IN WASH: a reason why ones bust may be down.

have fun with these, the mail and express both have excellent and accessible prize crosswords daily. the broadsheets are musch more taxing but solving them is a joy when you bink one.

cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited October 2013
    Thanks @teddy - seems I have a LOT to learn!
  • edited October 2013
    the daily express is an absolute rag, but it has two things going for it. the beachcomber column [running for summat ridic like 94years] and it's daily cryptic, which pays £100 i think. which is the highest daily prize in the papers. it's largely solvable by novice / new  solvers but still contains some stuff to make you think. i would never recommend buying that paper, but if you enjoyed these it's a great crossword to learn the basics with.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Teddy

Completely off topic but i'm interested to know where your name and Avatar come from?

Cheers
    Mick
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Teddy Completely off topic but i'm interested to know where your name and Avatar come from? Cheers Mick
    Posted by VespaPX

the name is a character from gravity's rainbow by thomas pynchon. it's a beast of a book, you can enjoy it just for the sheer joy of the language. tis head melter though, but if you like extended sections describing giant adenoids swallowing london and hallucinatory trips down toilet bowls then it might be your thing lol. anyways pynchon has great character names like randolph dribblette, benny profane and... teddy bloat. just liked the name.

the avatar is a picture of miles davis a jazz boffin.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: movie cryptic part 4 : the name is a character from gravity's rainbow by thomas pynchon. it's a beast of a book, you can enjoy it just for the sheer joy of the language. tis head melter though, but if you like extended sections describing giant adenoids swallowing london and hallucinatory trips down toilet bowls then it might be your thing lol. anyways pynchon has great character names like randolph dribblette, benny profane and... teddy bloat. just liked the name. the avatar is a picture of miles davis a jazz boffin. cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Miles Davis i can do but the other stuff.............well i did enough of that in my youth ! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    lol, i've done it an injustice then. it's a great read, you can read passages out of context just for the enjoyment of his unique language
    A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

It is too late. The Evacuation still proceeds, but it's all theatre. There are no lights inside the cars. No light anywhere. Above him lift girders old as an iron queen, and glass somewhere far above that would let the light of day through. But it's night. He's afraid of the way the glass will fall--soon--it will be a spectacle: the fall of a crystal palace. But coming down in total blackout, without one glint of light, only great invisible crashing.

when book starts with a bang like that you know you're onto a winner.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    lol, i've done it an injustice then. it's a great read, you can read passages out of context just for the enjoyment of his unique language when book starts with a bang like that you know you're onto a winner. cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Does the author play PLO8 by any chance? :-)

Book sounds just as complex !
  • edited October 2013
    the daily express is an absolute rag, but it has two things going for it. the beachcomber column [running for summat ridic like 94years] and it's daily cryptic, which pays £100 i think. which is the highest daily prize in the papers. it's largely solvable by novice / new  solvers but still contains some stuff to make you think. i would never recommend buying that paper, but if you enjoyed these it's a great crossword to learn the basics with. cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Well Teddy took your advice and bought yesterdays Express (I made sure I was in the next town so no one would recognise me) and had a go.

Very nearly cracked it bar 2 clues

Hate Working on Husbands land (5).

Not sure but I think it's Heath - Pretty sure it starts and ends with H - heath is a type of land and it contains the letters from hate - just don't get the husband connection unless h is an accepted abbreviation?

The real killer is this one

Understanding old king when quiet (5)

If other clues are right it starts with a B and ends with a P
    If Heath is right it has an A in the middle

Which has me totally stumped
  • edited October 2013
    Well done phamtom! The express doesn't change their setter which means you'll get better at solving it, and you've already bossed it lol. Try the mail when you find the express to easy, much tougher and clued in a totally different style., but once you get used to that style is again solvable by new cryptic heads.

Hate working [anagram indicator] on husband's [H] land [definition] is HEATH, I'm sure.

cryptics are full of standard shortcuts. Time =t, test = mot etc

Aa useful one for the express is quiet = P (pianissimo) and loud = f (fortissimo). Which come from musical notation.

You'll pick these up on the way.

The other clue then does indeed end in P. My initial thought was GRASP,but it doesn't fit your letters, and I have no idea about the old king reference (sometimes means COLE)

Cheers, 
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    Well done phamtom! The express doesn't change their setter which means you'll get better at solving it, and you've already bossed it lol. Try the mail when you find the express to easy, much tougher and clued in a totally different style., but once you get used to that style is again solvable by new cryptic heads. Hate working [anagram indicator] on husband's [H] land [definition] is HEATH, I'm sure. cryptics are full of standard shortcuts. Time =t, test = mot etc Aa useful one for the express is quiet = P ( pianissimo) and loud = f (fortissimo). Which come from musical notation. You'll pick these up on the way. The other clue then does indeed end in P. My initial thought was GRASP,but it doesn't fit your letters, and I have no idea about the old king reference (sometimes means COLE) Cheers,  TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Thanks Teddy you are a star!

I think Grasp is correct which means it was not a B and I have to do some rethinking on 2 other clues

I think "old king" could be GR as in George Regus? I read that queen is often an indicator for the letters ER

GR as P ?

• edited October 2013
    Ok a few thoughts here.

Understanding old king when quiet (5)

Ok understanding is the clue word. Quiet gives us p at the end. I like heath for the previous answer to give us an a in the middle.

I dont like the B at the beginning at all because of the following logic.

Old king. This could be a george which in its long form would be george rex normally abbreviated to g.r
                   When gives us as

So with the p on the end would give us grasp
  • edited October 2013
    ... on with the rethink

I had "OK, we heard theres nothing left" (7) as rarebit only because it was the only word that fit letters I had in there the time.

Put the G in however and it is obviously "Alright"

This means another answer is wrong

"Exchanging rag with underwear is most serious" (7)

Before I knew third letter was an A from Alright I had put Garment as in undergarment with rag and meant in there. However think about it the logic is wrong. Also doesn't fit your golden rule about starting or ending with the definition.

I now know the following letters G-A-E-T

which gives "gravest" = most serious and is formed from an anagram of rag + vest

Think I have solved it all now but better buy tomorrows paper to make sure!