You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Our Community = Your Community

2»

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Is it ok to stake players to play on sky?
  • edited October 2013
    I play on Sky mainly because of the forum!
    I will never be anything special at the game but I do enjoy the experience! I've played other sites but am a very small fish in a very big pond on most!
    There are many characters I respect on the forum! Often their comments make me smile and brighten up my day!
    I think the moderation is fair, but wish the same rules applied to the chat box!
    If i'm going to be called rude names in chat, I just wish the perpetrators would spell correctly and understand the meaning of the words they're using.
    Thanks Tikay for taking the time to compose this thread! there will always be debate on the subject. But at the end of the day having a forum to vent emotions is a massive plus and 861 even bigger! if either were taken away they would be sorely missed!
  • edited October 2013
    Another good thing about this forum is.......................

It allows me to hijack a thread and remind Tikay to check his PM's :)

Ref: Orfordable League Prizes

Many thanks Sir.

Regarding the community Forum.....

My general consensus is, that anything poker related should be open for debate, including HUDS, Staking, Live Poker, the good the bad & the ugly of online poker, how "RNG" random number generators deal a hand, right through to online collusion, when, where & how it could effect you.

There are many many more general poker topics which should and must be allowed to be openly debated, however, using a forum for the purpose of promoting other sites is a definite NO NO and should go without saying.

Clear rules and guidelines for posting and discussing any topics should be at the top of the relevant section of the forum.

Online poker needs to continue to gain the trust of its player database & prospective customers and to do this, we expect a degree of transparency. Onlinepoker companies need to continually reassure their customers that they do everything in their power to keep it's customers money safe, whether that be from fraudsters, collusion, hacking, the use of unauthorised software like HUDS which would give players an unfair advantage over others etc.

If I were new to the site I would expect to be able to discuss all these things if only to gather opinion & to reassure myself that I have joined a reputable site that does not hide from debate but is able to openly embrace it & use it for self promotion.

A healthy discussion/debate on all poker related matters (especially online poker) is a must if the industry is to continue to gain trust. If on the other hand we are using a forum to promote other sites and this is against the forum rules, then the least we can expect is that our post will be edited to remove all such promotion and thus allow the the discussion to continue in a positive manner without the need for being deleted completely.

ps. I won the 4K Re-buy open last night, so i'll have nothing bad said about the RNG :)

thin brag I know :)         
  • edited October 2013

Tikay as you are responding to questions on this thread I have a couple of things I would like to ask you.
     The first is what I MEANT to say in that post last week. The USPs of Sky are the forums, community, 861 and the way they support DTD and the Orfy and all the seat prizes they hand out. Sky has said that their target audience is the recreational player and the game lobby certainly reflects that. These recreational players are happy to dive into a Bounty Hunter, get a couple of heads and enjoy an hour or 2 of poker. That was the point I was trying to make last week albeit horrendously badly. Do you not think there is room in the schedule for a more balanced roster of tournaments such as freezeouts, rebuys etc for a broader appeal across the board?

My 2nd question concerns the thread I started asking for Sky to consider a 2nd Megastack. The thread had some good support and a great response from Sky saying they would look into it but couldn't promise anything. Since then we have heard nothing either positive or negative so I can only assume they have decided against it. So my point is sometimes Sky leave us hanging for any response too many times and I would like them to be more responsive when requests are made.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community:
    Tikay as you are responding to questions on this thread I have a couple of things I would like to ask you.  The first is what I MEANT to say in that post last week. The USPs of Sky are the forums, community, 861 and the way they support DTD and the Orfy and all the seat prizes they hand out. Sky has said that their target audience is the recreational player and the game lobby certainly reflects that. These recreational players are happy to dive into a Bounty Hunter, get a couple of heads and enjoy an hour or 2 of poker. That was the point I was trying to make last week albeit horrendously badly. Do you not think there is room in the schedule for a more balanced roster of tournaments such as freezeouts, rebuys etc for a broader appeal across the board?  My 2nd question concerns the thread I started asking for Sky to consider a 2nd Megastack. The thread had some good support and a great response from Sky saying they would look into it but couldn't promise anything. Since then we have heard nothing either positive or negative so I can only assume they have decided against it. So my point is sometimes Sky leave us hanging for any response too many times and I would like them to be more responsive when requests are made.
    Posted by FlyingDagg

Hi Dagg,

The responsibility on that one lies with me for not chasing it up. I'll be 100% honest with you here - we are snowed under. We have tons on at the moment (UKOPS, 700m Hand, that sexy new software which is almost here...), and it means the whole Poker Team (techies, forum rogues, content guys, tournament schedulers, the man who iritates Beaneh so much with his blind structures) are flat out. I hold my hands up though - that was mine to pursue on your behalf.

I'll do that today and let you know what the response is.

BTW, there is so much sense in this thread from many differing viewpoints. As a Philosophy student, I find it a beautiful thing when people disagree respectfully and people can take those alternative views on board, imo. It helps us learn, become more tolerant, etc. :)

• edited October 2013
    Right, I have news. 

I've managed to get TWO more Mega Stack tournaments added to the weekly schedule on Monday and Wednesday nights at 8.30pm. Same buy-in, same strucuture. 

The guarantee on these two new tourneys will be £300 rather than £400 though. Reason? The site is generally quieter on those two nights than on a Friday, so the view is to start smaller with these. If they and the Friday one consistently beat the GTDs they could be scaled up in time. 

For those who like their deep stack tourneys, there are two others on the weekends (8.15pm on Saturday and Sunday, iirc) which might be worth catching if you can too.

Hope that helps, /hijack, etc :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : Hi Dagg, The responsibility on that one lies with me for not chasing it up. I'll be 100% honest with you here - we are snowed under. We have tons on at the moment (UKOPS, 700m Hand, that sexy new software which is almost here...), and it means the whole Poker Team (techies, forum rogues, content guys, tournament schedulers, the man who iritates Beaneh so much with his blind structures) are flat out. I hold my hands up though - that was mine to pursue on your behalf. I'll do that today and let you know what the response is. BTW, there is so much sense in this thread from many differing viewpoints. As a Philosophy student, I find it a beautiful thing when people disagree respectfully and people can take those alternative views on board, imo. It helps us learn, become more tolerant, etc. :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Gotta +1 that, the thread has been EXACTLY what I hoped it would be, all good, well-reasoned, adult discussion, even though we disagree on many things. This is how Forum discussions on ticklish subjects should be discussed.

I've not replied to all the questions yet, so I'll continue with that shortly.

I genuinely hope both sides of the Table understand each other a little better now. 

It's good to waffle.

• edited October 2013
    Is it ok to stake players to play on sky?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Yes, if you wish, its absolutely fine. But we won't permit staking threads, offering, or asking for, Staking. That slope would be of the super slippery variety.

Promoting or spamming Staking organisations is also a no-no. 

I'n not personally averse to Staking in certain circumstances (for big MTT's, but never never in a million years for cash games), and I buy a great deal of action myself, but time & place & all that, & it is not really suitable here.

Don't tell mum though.  

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : Yes, if you wish, its absolutely fine. But we won't permit staking threads, offering, or asking for, Staking. That slope would be of the super slippery variety.   Promoting or spamming Staking organisations is also a no-no.  I'n not personally averse to Staking in certain circumstances (for big MTT's, but never never in a million years for cash games), and I buy a great deal of action myself, but time & place & all that, & it is not really suitable here.   Don't tell mum though.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks Tikay.

So how about putting me into the WSOP 2014?

I won't tell my Mum!

• edited October 2013
    I started a thread in Team Talk titled 'Team 51 Join Us' This of course encourages players to play on Sky within our team. The thread has been deleted. Would there be any reason for deleting this? thread link (now broken of course) https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:fe44ed5b-a5bb-4eec-b300-cc40d1b3a210Discussion:4d51cabd-0d3a-44a2-92dc-8e2f958900d3
    Posted by Boxster

Hi Boxster,  I know that Tommy D and Myself replied to you on Facebook ( I think it was Face Book)  Tommy was looking into this for you but I can tell you that there have been instances in the past where threads have just disappeared.  

The software that runs the forum is a created and run by a third party.  I have asked the other Moderators and as far as I can make out no one from the Moderator team deleted your thread.  It was just on of those things i'm afraid.  

As far as I could tell there was nothing untoward about your thread so feel free to start it up again 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help 
  • edited October 2013
    Tikay any chance we could send you out to the middle east to sort them out.  It'd be a doddle for you after dealing with us day in day out ;o)

• edited October 2013
    Tikay I agree with virtually all that you have written here. The points I would make is that Sky will be aware that the vast majority of players on here play on other sites as well, its no secret many of the diaries and posts actually refer to this. As far as the HUDs issue is concerned I too am glad Sky don't allow it and long may that continue but I don't think the debate was encouraging anyone to play on other sites it was actually the exact reverse IMHO. The forum is probably the main reason I spend most of my poker time on sky (its certainly not because I have an edge on here far from it) it is a USP but my father taught me to be honest if I have anything to say or keep it shut! Last but not least I am of the opinion that had the author of the HUD debate realised that Sky would have taken the line they did he would have never asked for help on here in the 1st place. The phrase making a mountain out of a molehill comes to mind but may be from both sides of the debate.
    Posted by a00rock
    Thank you Mr Rock Chap.

Two points there, suitably enboldened.

Yes, of course it is fine to generally discuss other Sites in Diaries & the like, that's a different kettle of fish entirely, & it's abso fine. And Sky Poker readily understand that most players play on more than one Site.

Most of us have our "main" or "base" Poker Site, but we flit on & off other Sites for particular Tourneys or reasons.

A quite peculiar side-issue here, which always amuses me, but I never comment. We actually have regular Posters here on this Community who almost NEVER play on Sky Poker, but like to Post on this Community, & have a little pop at Sky Poker. Go figure that! So when they come on every week & say how much better xxx.com is, I do a little roll of the eyes.....

The HUD debate thing? Well that thread was used as a example, and the sort of opportunity I've been looking for to try & explain a few things. I actually think the whole exercise has been worthwhile, overall. It's so refreshing to see a thread which does not include the accusations of "stupidity"  & "idiocy" (expressed in a FAR worse manner) by Management or whatever. That line never solved anything. Even though it may be true.....;) 
  • edited October 2013
     Interesting thought has come to mind with reference to the HUD thread.  Why did he post it on this forum?     I dont believe for a second that is was with any bad intent or advertising reasons. So the answer must be that he thought that posting on this forum on this site would generate the sort of replies that he needed.  For me this says a lot of good about the forum. It says that the people who look through these threads can be trusted and relied upon to give good responses to serious questions. Ok the question turned out to be a bit inappropriate but the fact that this was selected as the place for it says something. We need to keep this forum as a place where people can ask question in the knowledge they will get sensible replies. We need to keep the people replying on these threads, open and honest. In other words we need to keep everything that is good about this forum. Once the boundaries are established and well known then surely it can only be for the good of the forum. We mustnt lose sight of why we like the forum.
    Posted by Talon
    Exactly that, & hopefully, we are a good way towards doing that. That was the whole idea, really.

It tears me apart to see bad blood & aggro, but I truly believe that 95% of it is unintentional, sometimes more "clumsy" than ill-intent.

Some advice has been offered here by both sides of the debate, & everything has been noted & absorbed. It can only be a good thing.  

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : Thank you Mr Rock Chap. Two points there, suitably enboldened. Yes, of course it is fine to generally discuss other Sites in Diaries & the like, that's a different kettle of fish entirely, & it's abso fine. And Sky Poker readily understand that most players play on more than one Site. Most of us have our "main" or "base" Poker Site, but we flit on & off other Sites for particular Tourneys or reasons. A quite peculiar side-issue here, which always amuses me, but I never comment. We actually have regular Posters here on this Community who almost NEVER play on Sky Poker, but like to Post on this Community, & have a little pop at Sky Poker. Go figure that! So when they come on every week & say how much better xxx.com is, I do a little roll of the eyes..... The HUD debate thing? Well that thread was used as a example, and the sort of opportunity I've been looking for to try & explain a few things. I actually think the whole exercise has been worthwhile, overall. It's so refreshing to see a thread which does not include the accusations of "stupidity"  & "idiocy" (expressed in a FAR worse manner) by Management or whatever. That line never solved anything. Even though it may be true.....;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well we do employ you! :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : Interesting point that some of the diaries contain stuff from other sites. Isn't that sort of promoting other sites if they are showing they are winning a lot elsewhere?
    Posted by VespaPX
    No, it's fine, as long as it is not covertly promoting "play elsewhere", there has to be some balance.

I do regularly see "'I won $x on 'Stars last night", & we all know that 'Stars is an incredibly good site. Even so, Sky Poker have USP's that 'Stars do not, & that includes, for better or worse (we all see it different), the small Buy In Tourneys here don't get 50,000 runners!

We have a community & a TV Channel, too ('Stars have neither), it's all checks & balances, & players have a great choice. Long may that choice last.  

• edited October 2013

I just got owned by the Boss.

Meh.
  • edited October 2013
    I play on Sky mainly because of the forum! I will never be anything special at the game but I do enjoy the experience! I've played other sites but am a very small fish in a very big pond on most! There are many characters I respect on the forum! Often their comments make me smile and brighten up my day! I think the moderation is fair, but wish the same rules applied to the chat box! If i'm going to be called rude names in chat, I just wish the perpetrators would spell correctly and understand the meaning of the words they're using. Thanks Tikay for taking the time to compose this thread! there will always be debate on the subject. But at the end of the day having a forum to vent emotions is a massive plus and 861 even bigger! if either were taken away they would be sorely missed!
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    ZING!

And that is why BOTH parties need to make a little effort.

It's no good blaming it all on Sky Poker, or all on the players - it is both. This Community is the sum total of what we all choose to make it. Nothing worthwhile was ever achieved without a little effort. You can see the "givers" & "takers" on any Forum, those who work at it to make good or interesting threads, (for no personal return or thanks) & those who just use it as a chuntering stool.

You wake up some mornings & see some dreadful chuntery Posts, then click "see previous Posts", & you suddenly realise that ALL their Posts are the same.

Agendas gonna agenda.  

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : My thoughts entirely..only put much better..I just thought the op was misunderstood and had no intention of selling another site etc..plus the thread soon went on a tangent  to the pros and cons of huds rather than how to/ where to use them..
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    100% agree Davey. There was no ill-intention, none whatsoever, but that's not to say it was appropriate, either.

Bit of an awkward shaped box if you think about it.

"....I'll ask on Sky Poker's Community how I can use something they don't allow, & how to use it on another site. I can't ask on that other Site though, as they don't have a Forum...."

Or, if you like....

"....today I'll go into Sainsburys, use their car park, & ask around how best to use Tesco Club Points...."

Quite awkward really - but for clarity, NO, there was no absolutely deliberate ill-intent. It was a good opportunity for me to explain some things, thats all.

I'm much more into avoiding aggro in advance, rather than breaking up fights. Pre-emptive, pro-active, bla bla bla.   
  • edited October 2013

Slightly off topic as this isn't really about forums, but... In terms of live events, there isn't a lot you can do when it comes to talking about other sites. Clothing could be addressed though. I don't play on any other site, but say for example I played in a Genting event, I wouldn't turn up in a Skypoker hoodie, it's just not right IMO. So people shouldn't turn up to SPTs wearing FT or Stars clothing, it's a little disrespectful if you ask me...
    Posted by FlashFlush

In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : I agree, but short of being heavy handed, what can we do? You are completely right (imo) but it's not something we can really do much about. Honestly, we run these SPT's & it does not occur to people WHY we run them! People do not do it intentionally, it just dos not cross their mind. The internet is destroying stuff like "etiquette".
    Posted by Tikay10

Not sure I agree on this one. As a Skypoker reg I would be happy to wear my Skypoker hoodie* when attending a Genting live event and not feel it disrespectful, and vice versa. I'm wearing my colours, and they know I'm a possible target for their site, so everyone should be happy. Isn't/wasn't Team Sky Poker a more grandiose version of this?

*bit of a theoretical discussion given that i don't own one and don't wear hoodies

• edited October 2013
    Tikay as you are responding to questions on this thread I have a couple of things I would like to ask you.  The first is what I MEANT to say in that post last week. The USPs of Sky are the forums, community, 861 and the way they support DTD and the Orfy and all the seat prizes they hand out. Sky has said that their target audience is the recreational player and the game lobby certainly reflects that. These recreational players are happy to dive into a Bounty Hunter, get a couple of heads and enjoy an hour or 2 of poker. That was the point I was trying to make last week albeit horrendously badly. Do you not think there is room in the schedule for a more balanced roster of tournaments such as freezeouts, rebuys etc for a broader appeal across the board?  My 2nd question concerns the thread I started asking for Sky to consider a 2nd Megastack. The thread had some good support and a great response from Sky saying they would look into it but couldn't promise anything. Since then we have heard nothing either positive or negative so I can only assume they have decided against it. So my point is sometimes Sky leave us hanging for any response too many times and I would like them to be more responsive when requests are made.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Happy days - Blandy has replied to most of that, yay!

As to that Post you made last week, no, sorry, I don't recall it........

• edited October 2013
    SKY POKER RULES!

END OF........
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Our Community = Your Community : Slightly off topic as this isn't really about forums, but... In terms of live events, there isn't a lot you can do when it comes to talking about other sites.  Clothing could be addressed though. I don't play on any other site, but say for example I played in a Genting event, I wouldn't turn up in a Skypoker hoodie, it's just not right IMO. So people shouldn't turn up to SPTs wearing FT or Stars clothing, it's a little disrespectful if you ask me... Posted by FlashFlush Not sure I agree on this one. As a Skypoker reg I would be happy to wear my Skypoker hoodie* when attending a Genting live event and not feel it disrespectful, and vice versa. I'm wearing my colours, and they know I'm a possible target for their site, so everyone should be happy. Isn't/wasn't Team Sky Poker a more grandiose version of this? *bit of a theorectical discussion given that i don't own one and don't wear hoodies
    Posted by GELDY
    No no no Gelders, you COMPLETELY misunderstand.

Wearing Sky Poker apparel at Genting Events is 100% fine, obviously. What's good for the goose is not pate. Cake & eat it, too. Other daft analogies may follow.

PS - Seriously, you make a good point there, & I agree. Apologies, I got my answer wrong earlier.

• edited October 2013

All done?

All questions answered now I hope.  

If so, Upstairs will close the thread.

Oh, wait......
  • edited October 2013
    All done? All questions answered now I hope.   If so, Upstairs will close the thread. Oh, wait......
    Posted by Tikay10

Oh wait.... NEWS FLASH

Morrisey has confirmed his Autobiography will be published this month.

Fancy some light reading TK?
  • edited October 2013
    Right, I have news.  I've managed to get TWO more Mega Stack tournaments added to the weekly schedule on Monday and Wednesday nights at 8.30pm. Same buy-in, same strucuture.  The guarantee on these two new tourneys will be £300 rather than £400 though. Reason? The site is generally quieter on those two nights than on a Friday, so the view is to start smaller with these. If they and the Friday one consistently beat the GTDs they could be scaled up in time.  For those who like their deep stack tourneys, there are two others on the weekends (8.15pm on Saturday and Sunday, iirc) which might be worth catching if you can too. Hope that helps, /hijack, etc :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Dave thank you so much thats brilliant news. Not wishing to put a damper on things but Monday night is DTD  and I think mondays may struggle, but Wednesdays is a great night and I'm sure that it will get good support. And I have no problems with the guarantee being £300. Thankyou again Sky.