You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
THEThe logic behind me calling here was to play my position and play against him post-flop, something which Jac35 did not factor in when berating me for calling him with K6s pre-flop.  I have to question his call with top pair, 2nd kicker, calling off 5.6k into 8.8k pot.  He's losing to JJJ, KJ, 666, QTd. Ruled out AQd as he'd expect me to ship it pf.He's flipping against ATd,A6d 50/50 and is marginally ahead 55/45 vs all Ax flush draws.Now does he really think Im shipping here with KT, QTo?I got lucky and spiked 2 pair, shoved on him making him think it's a flush draw, knowing he's going to call me off with AK, and KQ.Thoughts on the hand?  Hand History #696444924 (21:52 04/10/2013)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancenachocheesSmall blind 75.0075.0013850.00scousestarBig blind 150.00225.0015860.00 Your hole cardsK6   cullumFold    MRLUCKYCall 150.00375.0011545.00Jac35Raise 510.00885.0022845.00DoubleAAACall 510.001395.006362.50nachocheesFold    scousestarFold    MRLUCKYCall 360.001755.0011185.00Flop  K6J   MRLUCKYCheck    Jac35Bet 750.002505.0022095.00DoubleAAAAll-in 6362.508867.500.00MRLUCKYFold    Jac35Call 5612.5014480.0016482.50Jac35ShowKQ   DoubleAAAShowK6   Turn  6   River  3   DoubleAAAWinFull House, 6s and Kings14480.00 14480.00

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Just looking at the entire range he's 50.7/49.2% and that's IF he really thinks I would do this with KT and QTo.

A2s-ATs
    KTs,KJs,KTo,KJo
    QTs,QTo
    66,JJ

If we remove KT and QT then it's 33/67 to me.
  • edited October 2013
    If you were a tight player and didn't call with hands like K6s OTB then he might have reason to fold it because you will only have strong hands in your range.

You forget that when you shove all in here he only needs 38.7% vs your range to actually make the call because of pot odds. Therefore he's obliged to call unless he somehow puts you on a really tight range that doesn't include weaker kings/jacks or QT.

When you call with K6s pre-flop, what do you do when the flop comes KJ4 with a FD, do you just call him down? What about when you miss, do you ever try and bluff-raise? The fact is K6s is not a profitable call pre-flop unless your willing to a) make moves and b) go with hands when you do flop top pair. Even then it's not neccessarily profitable but just calling pre to hit 2 pair or a flush draw is not going to be winning in the long run. The point I'm making though is that if he knows you call this loose pre he knows you're forced to get it in wider, otherwise you will be folding too much post flop and burning way too many chips.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play:
    If you were a tight player and didn't call with hands like K6s OTB then he might have reason to fold it because you will only have strong hands in your range.  You forget that when you shove all in here he only needs 38.7% vs your range to actually make the call because of pot odds. Therefore he's obliged to call unless he somehow puts you on a really tight range that doesn't include weaker kings/jacks or QT. When you call with K6s pre-flop, what do you do when the flop comes KJ4 with a FD, do you just call him down? What about when you miss, do you ever try and bluff-raise? The fact is K6s is not a profitable call pre-flop unless your willing to a) make moves and b) go with hands when you do flop top pair. Even then it's not neccessarily profitable but just calling pre to hit 2 pair or a flush draw is not going to be winning in the long run. The point I'm making though is that if he knows you call this loose pre he knows you're forced to get it in wider, otherwise you will be folding too much post flop and burning way too many chips.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

He did not know that I would call him that loose as he had not seen me show down any weak hands.  I did not call to hit 2 pair, that was just lucky.  If we hit the K top pair then I'm going with the hand as that was what I had decided pf. Any A lands then I'm giving up so if it's K high I'm hoping he doesn't have Ak, KQ, if so then I'm out, but I would expect a shove to fold out KJ KQ and all lower pairs. I'm shoving all non A flops with a face card and floating flop to shove all non A turns.

Possibly it's a call but to berate my play just showed a lack of understanding upon his part of what I set out to achieve when playing the hand.  Does my plan make sense?

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play:
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : He did not know that I would call him that loose as he had not seen me show down any weak hands.  I did not call to hit 2 pair, that was just lucky.  If we hit the K top pair then I'm going with the hand as that was what I had decided pf. Any A lands then I'm giving up so if it's K high I'm hoping he doesn't have Ak, KQ, if so then I'm out, but I would expect a shove to fold out KJ KQ and all lower pairs. I'm shoving all non A flops with a face card and floating flop to shove all non A turns. Possibly it's a call but to berate my play just showed a lack of understanding upon his part of what I set out to achieve when playing the hand.  Does my plan make sense?
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Just because he hasn't seen you show weak hands on this table doesn't mean he can't have pegged you as being somewhat loose (maybe in position) - he could have taken notes from playing with you previously. OR he could just be going on the general population in this spot and against an avg range in this spot KQ is completely fine to call with and has more than the required equity. You'll see plenty of players shoving worse K's and 2nd pairs here. As I said the fact you're willng to shove non A flops and go with it on K high proves that he didn't make the wrong decision here vs your range.

Obviously it's wrong for him to berate you and he should know better, but at the same time saying his call was bad is wrong!

• edited October 2013
    Like I said its marginal but it's ignorant to label my play donkish when if he bothered.  To shark scope me he would see I'm a winning player and that obviously I set out with a plan, just that I got lucky with the 2 pair.  Remember he misses the flop 67% of the time and small pairs only flop a set 1in 8 so my plan is a profitable one at that.

The reason I questioned his call is because he berated my play and if anything, his call is more difficult to make than my plan pre flop.

Please note, I did not say his call was wrong, I said it was questionable.
  • edited October 2013

Quite funny looking through this thread.

Only one conclusion comes to mind. Berating someone in the chatbox in front of 4 or 5 witnesses is not good at all and shouldnt really happen. But then in revenge to go onto a public forum to berate the player back shows a considerable lack of class.

So the conclusion his berating of you was bad, the whole purpose of this thread is far worse though
  • edited October 2013
    Like I said its marginal but it's ignorant to label my play donkish when if he bothered.  To shark scope me he would see I'm a winning player and that obviously I set out with a plan, just that I got lucky with the 2 pair.  Remember he misses the flop 67% of the time and small pairs only flop a set 1in 8 so my plan is a profitable one at that. The reason I questioned his call is because he berated my play and if anything, his call is more difficult to make than my plan pre flop. Please note, I did not say his call was wrong, I said it was questionable.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    wrong- 

he's not correct for berating and ur not doin much justice trying to make his play/call look bad- your plan was flawed from the start- as you stated that if u hit a king ur goin with it- so should you of hit a K high board without makin 2pairs u were playing this exactly the same- so his call is correct.. by jus playing this way gives villan an easy chance to hero fold big pairs and worse hands wen u do hit a King but the RIO when u hit and he has better is not a winning play regardless of your sharkscope (which i havnt bothered to look at either)
  • edited October 2013
    Just talking about the hand...

Calling in position pf with a wide range is ok - K6 maybe a bit too wide for my taste - but ok, Personally to get that wide I would rather be raising an unopened pot or a passive limper.

If you were planning to c-bet a check and take most pots down then that's a reasonable strategy for accumulating chips mid-tourney. 2nd caller makes the odds of getting away with that a bit thin though.

Given likely tight range of your villain and having another player in the hand, overall I think your call has -ve expectation long term.

You were lucky to hit 2 pair and have opponent hit TP/2nd Kicker and then you got it all-in good so wp there.

Back to the ethics...

Don't agree with the bad chat

Don't agree with the named post here either.

I think an unnamed analyse my hand post would be better received on this forum.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : wrong-  he's not correct for berating and ur not doin much justice trying to make his play/call look bad- your plan was flawed from the start- as you stated that if u hit a king ur goin with it- so should of of hit a K high board without makin 2pairs u were playing this exactly the same- so his call is correct.. by jus playing this way gives villan an easy chance to hero fold big pairs and worse hands wen u do hit a King but the RIO when u hit and he has better is not a winning play regardless of your sharkscope (which i havnt bothered to look at either)
    Posted by LnarinOO
    So when it's a K high board most of the time he stacks me in this given situation, but how often does the K or Q land? 33% of the time but even less as we already have one of his K so we are taking down this flop most of the time as he cannot call a shove with K high.  Now what if villain had AJs or AQ, what would he be doing on this exact flop when we shove? Again he will fold.

As he had the K that only leaves two more in the deck, so it is fair to say that we hardly ever hit our K on that flop right?

I'm not trying to make his play bad, I just posted with an explanation of why I played the hand.  I never once stated his call was bad or poor, I only said its questionable as it's not an easy call IMO.

I did not post this to berate him as his call is by far not the worst call in the world, it's marginal but I wanted to explain why I played it. This is a poker clinic after all right? Surely we are here to give an insight into played hands etc in which I think I have explained in depth my reasoning.
  • edited October 2013
    Just talking about the hand... Calling in position pf with a wide range is ok - K6 maybe a bit too wide for my taste - but ok, Personally to get that wide I would rather be raising an unopened pot or a passive limper. If you were planning to c-bet a check and take most pots down then that's a reasonable strategy for accumulating chips mid-tourney. 2nd caller makes the odds of getting away with that a bit thin though. Given likely tight range of your villain and having another player in the hand, overall I think your call has -ve expectation long term. You were lucky to hit 2 pair and have opponent hit TP/2nd Kicker and then you got it all-in good so wp there. Back to the ethics... Don't agree with the bad chat Don't agree with the named post here either. I think an unnamed analyse my hand post would be better received on this forum.
    Posted by Phantom66

Point taken with leaving the name in, my bad so apologies there.

This actually makes my shove look stronger IMO.  

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : So when it's a K high board most of the time he stacks me in this given situation, but how often does the K or Q land? 33% of the time but even less as we already have one of his K so we are taking down this flop most of the time as he cannot call a shove with K high.  Now what if villain had AJs or AQ, what would he be doing on this exact flop when we shove? Again he will fold. As he had the K that only leaves two more in the deck, so it is fair to say that we hardly ever hit our K on that flop right? I'm not trying to make his play bad, I just posted with an explanation of why I played the hand.  I never once stated his call was bad or poor, I only said its questionable as it's not an easy call IMO. @telon I did not post this to berate him as his call is by far not the worst call in the world, it's marginal but I wanted to explain why I played it. This is a poker clinic after all right? Surely we are here to give an insight into played hands etc in which I think I have explained in depth my reasoning.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    ok so ur entire plan was to jam any flop? please show me how this is goin to ever be good? 
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : ok so ur entire plan was to jam any flop? please show me how this is goin to ever be good? 
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Any non A high flop or Q high, unless checked to me in which I would cbet and give up if called.  I only ever lose my stack if it comes k high.  My stack was 6k and. The pot before he bets the flop is around 1.6k. Now how often does the A or K land? Around 28% of the time so the K lands around 11% of the time. We pick up 1.6k chips 72% of the time and lose 6k 11% of the time unless of course we spike the 6or the flush.  That to me is +ev.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : Any non A high flop or Q high, unless checked to me in which I would cbet and give up if called.  I only ever lose my stack if it comes k high.  My stack was 6k and. The pot before he bets the flop is around 1.6k. Now how often does the A or K land? Around 28% of the time so the K lands around 11% of the time. We pick up 1.6k chips 72% of the time and lose 6k 11% of the time unless of course we spike the 6or the flush.  That to me is +ev.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    your wrong- ur not the aggressor in the pot - i will not get check to you 72% of the time. so the times it comes
    any board where your gonna have to float to take it away or rarley 3way get the opportunity where it does get checked to you there probally not c/folding. your now trying to make excuses for your pre flop call with 45bb , and giving incorrect math to try and back it up- your not going to make me change my mind when i know im right no matter what %% your throw in your arguments-
  • edited October 2013
    You're missing a MASSIVE piece of information though... you don't KNOW he has KQ!!

It's all very good now saying I won't get stacked unless it's K-high, but how dya know he hasn't flatted with JJ/TT/99 and isn't gonna fold, or flatted with 22-88 and flops a set, or flats with something that gives him a strong enough draw to call off (which may still have you beat with just A-high). Or he has KJ and you're crushed, or a million other possibilties.

Cold calling 3bets with K6s this shallow just won't be good.
  • edited October 2013
    Situational question.

did you have any history with this opponent?

You seemed keen to play him post flop.

Presumably you had used aggression+position to get him off hands before?
  • edited October 2013
    I'm pretty disappointed that some of you have just been happy to take doubleaaa's word for it regarding the chat.

Not sure exactly what I said, think it was "sigh, good call pre" or such like. Obviously shouldn't have said anything.  Certainly didn't say he was donkish or anthing else.I admit I did respond when I was told it was an "horrific call" and said that "it was an easy call, sure you're doing that with weaker k's or draws"

Obviously shouldn't have commented in the first place. However,  after that I was certainly not the aggressive one in the chat bix.

Apologies if I did offend you greatly. I would hope from playing with many of you regulary over the last couple if years, you would accept that this is the exception rather than the norm with me. 
  • edited October 2013
    I'm pretty disappointed that some of you have just been happy to take doubleaaa's word for it regarding the chat. Not sure exactly what I said, think it was "sigh, good call pre" or such like. Obviously shouldn't have said anything.  Certainly didn't say he was donkish or anthing else.I admit I did respond when I was told it was an "horrific call" and said that "it was an easy call, sure you're doing that with weaker k's or draws" Obviously shouldn't have commented in the first place. However,  after that I was certainly not the aggressive one in the chat bix. Apologies if I did offend you greatly. I would hope from playing with many of you regulary over the last couple if years, you would accept that this is the exception rather than the norm with me. 
    Posted by Jac35
    Nicely put, Jac.

Triple A - breathe and move on.
  • edited October 2013
    You're missing a MASSIVE piece of information though... you don't KNOW he has KQ!! It's all very good now saying I won't get stacked unless it's K-high, but how dya know he hasn't flatted with JJ/TT/99 and isn't gonna fold, or flatted with 22-88 and flops a set, or flats with something that gives him a strong enough draw to call off (which may still have you beat with just A-high). Or he has KJ and you're crushed, or a million other possibilties. Cold calling 3bets with K6s this shallow just won't be good.
    Posted by Lambert180
    He did not 3bet, he opened and I. Flatted.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : your wrong- ur not the aggressor in the pot - i will not get check to you 72% of the time. so the times it comes any board where your gonna have to float to take it away or rarley 3way get the opportunity where it does get checked to you there probally not c/folding. your now trying to make excuses for your pre flop call with 45bb , and giving incorrect math to try and back it up- your not going to make me change my mind when i know im right no matter what %% your throw in your arguments-
    Posted by LnarinOO
    He only flops a pair 28% of the time, so when he debts and I shove he has to fold unless he hit his K or Q. How is this not clear?  I'm not making excuses for my play, it was my intentions from the outset. Go do the maths yourself and then show me where mathematically I'm wrong. Now if he has AA or QQ then that's just bad timing on my part but overall imo the play is +cEV.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm pretty disappointed that some of you have just been happy to take doubleaaa's word for it regarding the chat. Not sure exactly what I said, think it was "sigh, good call pre" or such like. Obviously shouldn't have said anything.  Certainly didn't say he was donkish or anthing else.I admit I did respond when I was told it was an "horrific call" and said that "it was an easy call, sure you're doing that with weaker k's or draws" Obviously shouldn't have commented in the first place. However,  after that I was certainly not the aggressive one in the chat bix. Apologies if I did offend you greatly. I would hope from playing with many of you regulary over the last couple if years, you would accept that this is the exception rather than the norm with me. 
    Posted by Jac35
    I just typed a long response to this and it didn't post grrrr lol. Anyway jacks no offence was intended, hope you understand my logic behind my play whether it was right or wrong. You were not rude to me but your response was sarcastic and so I responded with, yes it was a good call, although unsure about your all in call. It's small stuff, just when someone is sarcastic I'll usually really respond back, I did so in chat and then I posted this hand to explain my play. I was in no way rude to you though and am always friendly at the tables. 

I know you have many friends here and that's good. No hard feelings pal and look forward to seeing you at the tables. Peace?
  • edited October 2013
    Situational question. did you have any history with this opponent? You seemed keen to play him post flop. Presumably you had used aggression+position to get him off hands before?
    Posted by Phantom66
    I saw him opening quite often and so I decided I'd play against him in position. One thing nobody is taking into account is his opening range, he's raised from the CO so he's raising quite wide here especially with the initial limpet, it's just inviting someone to raise in position. Jacs is a good player and so I recognised this situation and flatted rather than to raise to 1.3k and induce him to shove on me.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : He did not 3bet, he opened and I. Flatted.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Sorry first 'open' was a limp.

Cold calling iso's with K6s this shallow is generally gonna be bad unless you're some kind of post flop beast. The rest of what I said still applies.
  • edited October 2013
    FWIW, you've touched on it yourself, if he's really opening that wide then why not just 3bet him? Most of the time you'll just take it down pre (which is good cos your hand is rubbish). Very few people are gonna 4bet shove as a bluff without some decent dynamic so we can 3bet/fold knowing it works a very % of the time and when we get 4bet we're crushed.

If he flats the 3bet which I doubt he will very often cos he's a decent player and won't be flatting too many 3bets OOP, then you're repping big, and have a much bigger pot to win when he misses the vast majority of the time. Plus you get to do all this without having to risk your whole stack.
  • edited October 2013
    You're so far wrong in your thinking DoubleAAA that I don't know where to begin. If you're seen to be shoving over c-bets with complete air then you'll soon find good players will adjust by:

a) c-betting less in spots where the only move by you is to shove (and only c-betting hands happy to call a shove)
    b) calling off much lighter.

For example a player opens with a range of 88+, KJ+, AT+. Flop is T52. They decide to only c-bet with 88+, AT, and AQ/AK. They don't c-bet their KJ, KQs. You shove with K6 here and they snap you off with every single hand they c-bet. Does your shove really look profitable now?

OK if Jac had never played you before then your play may be profitable in a vacuum. But it certainly isn't profitable in the long run if you keep doing it.
  • edited October 2013
    Well, I have no friends, so no need to worry about me taking anyone's side. lol

I agree with people suggesting that your plan was not a good one and will not be profitable in the long run. I also think that your whole justification in this thread has been "Jac35 has KQ and therefore my play will result in..." but you have no idea that he doesn't have AA, KK, QQ JJ, KJ, etc. If he has one of those hands, it's not just "bad timing" to bluff a flop and get called, as you say, it's part of his range and part of the EV of the play.

We also need to examine whether shoving the flop is the best way to bluff anyway. Over Jac's bet of 750, we shove 6k to win 2.5k. Let's assume you do carry out your plan to shove on a QJ4 flop, or similar which we've missed. We need that bluff to get through two opponents more than 70% of the time to break even. On a flop like this, we're not likely to get it through that often because so many strong draws and strong made hands are likely.

So planning to shove any non-Ace flop is just not a good plan. We will get away with it more on dry flops like 923 or similar, but we have to bear in mind that we're not really representing any big hand when we do this. People will not believe that we'll make that shove with a set because we'd fold out too much of their range and we're unlikely to have AA, KK, QQ or AK having not 3-bet pre-flop. So we're basically trying to make out that we have JJ or TT and didn't 3-bet pre-flop but are now making the mistake of giving our opponent the chance to fold his AK, AQ, etc...

I'm afraid I don't think this was a good plan.

Moving on from that, we need to examine the logic of your shove. You say you think that a call of this shove with just KQ is questionable and presumably you think Jac isn't a bad player, so why on Earth are we shoving?

If we're not thinking that J6 is in Jac's range, then the best hand that we're currently beating is AA, AK is second and KQ is the third best hand we're beating. If we think our shove should get him to fold out all the hands we're beating up to the third best, the shove is terrible. We know he's calling us with all his better hands and we fold out most of his weaker ones. We're really only getting called by draws that have good equity against us, like QdTd, or hands that have us beat, if your ideas on Jac's calling range are correct.

As it happens, I think Jac is justified in making the call. If he has some reads on your play then he's definitely ahead of your range. If he doesn't have those reads it is much closer, but you do look like you're playing a draw a lot and he beats all the one-pair hands in your range. Unknown villain's are likely to 3-bet AK, KK and JJ pre-flop and unlikely to peel with J6 and K6. He's basically losing to 66 and KJ in the likely range of an unknown, beating all the one-pairs and in a good situation against the draws.

Even if I did like your pre-flop plan, I think you need to adjust it when you smash the flop like this. If you held the view that he would be folding his KQ hands, the shove was really bad. If you agree with me that he's likely to call with KQ and big draws, I still don't like the shove. We give him a great chance to get away from weaker Kings, QQ, Jacks, etc. without putting more money in the pot. 

As for the intentions of this post, I'm going to take your word for it that you weren't intending to berate Jac and were just trying to defend yourself. I've never seen you abusing anyone before, so...

I will also say that I think it's very unlikely that Jac was intending to berate you, either. My experience with him would suggest that's out of character.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks for the insightful input guys.

Hope to see some of you on the felt and I will say hi as per usual, and just think, now you guys know that I play K6s on the btn and my way of thinking, it shall certainly make for some interesting play.  Somehow we have created a meta-tag game as now you guys will be wondering if im shoving light and if I'm flatting you light IP.

At the end of the day, it's only a game, a game that we all enjoy and is excellent to discuss. 

On a side note to BorinLorner, you're correct I did not know he had KQ, I was just doing the maths using KQ as he knew what his hand was.  His range is actually quite wide, like I had stated earlier.

Here is the actual opening range that I would put him on:

A2s+,A7o+,
    22+
    KTo+,JTs+,QJo+

21.3%

This would be the cbet range that I would put him on:
    66,JJ-AA,
    AJo+,A2s+,QTo+,QTs+,
    13.7%

Given the flop of Kd 5h Jd (I have changed the 6 for a 5 so it only gies me top pair) this makes me 53% vs his cbet range.

His calling range when we shove I would make it as follows:
    55,JJ,KK+,
    KJo+,KJs+,QTs+
    A2s+
    9.1%

So when he calls our flop shove we are 45% to win.

So to recap....

He cbets 64.3% of the time making the pot 2.5k
    When we shove 100% of the time he calls us 66.4% (9.1%/13.7%)

He checks flop, we bet, we take it down 35.7% of the time giving us +607
    So he calls our shove 66%, so the times he folds 34% we win  = +850
    When he calls our shove we win the pot 45% of the time = +6165.
    When he calls our shove and wins 55%  = -7535 (difference -1370)

1457-1370= +87chips.

So this is certainly not spewy and a long term losing play given those figures but If I have gone wrong anywhere with these calculations please let me know as I haven't had any sleep for the past 30hrs! 

Thank you once again for taking the time to read through my thoughts whether it be right or wrong and adding your own thoughts. This is how we ALL improve.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks for the insightful input guys. Hope to see some of you on the felt and I will say hi as per usual, and just think, now you guys know that I play K6s on the btn and my way of thinking, it shall certainly make for some interesting play.  Somehow we have created a meta-tag game as now you guys will be wondering if im shoving light and if I'm flatting you light IP. At the end of the day, it's only a game, a game that we all enjoy and is excellent to discuss.  On a side note to BorinLorner, you're correct I did not know he had KQ, I was just doing the maths using KQ as he knew what his hand was.  His range is actually quite wide, like I had stated earlier. Here is the actual opening range that I would put him on: A2s+,A7o+, 22+ KTo+,JTs+,QJo+ 21.3% This would be the cbet range that I would put him on: 66,JJ-AA, AJo+,A2s+,QTo+,QTs+, 13.7% Given the flop of Kd 5h Jd (I have changed the 6 for a 5 so it only gies me top pair) this makes me 53% vs his cbet range. His calling range when we shove I would make it as follows: 55,JJ,KK+, KJo+,KJs+,QTs+ A2s+ 9.1% So when he calls our flop shove we are 45% to win. So to recap.... He cbets 64.3% of the time making the pot 2.5k When we shove 100% of the time he calls us 66.4% (9.1%/13.7%) He checks flop, we bet, we take it down 35.7% of the time giving us +607 So he calls our shove 66%, so the times he folds 34% we win  = +850 When he calls our shove we win the pot 45% of the time = +6165. When he calls our shove and wins 55%  = -7535 (difference -1370) 1457-1370= +87chips. So this is certainly not spewy and a long term losing play given those figures but If I have gone wrong anywhere with these calculations please let me know as I haven't had any sleep for the past 30hrs!  Thank you once again for taking the time to read through my thoughts whether it be right or wrong and adding your own thoughts. This is how we ALL improve.
    Posted by DoubleAAA

I'm sure you factored all this into your thought process in the 15 seconds or so Sky gives you to make a decision. 

Raise or fold pre all day long. Flatting out of that stack with such a marginal hand is poor, even with position, as we don't have a stack to play down the streets with our positional advantage. 

Just got pretty lucky really, as you said yourself you stack off on a K high flop.

Jac35, you've always been a gent with me sir! I look forward to sharing a table again soon (assuming you read this!)

Edit- playing a little bit deeper than I realised. 3bet folding here if playing the hand.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : I'm sure you factored all this into your thought process in the 15 seconds or so Sky gives you to make a decision.  Raise or fold pre all day long. Flatting out of that stack with such a marginal hand is poor, even with position, as we don't have a stack to play down the streets with our positional advantage.  Just got pretty lucky really, as you said yourself you stack off on a K high flop. Jac35, you've always been a gent with me sir! I look forward to sharing a table again soon (assuming you read this!) Edit- playing a little bit deeper than I realised. 3bet folding here if playing the hand.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No but I expect him to open with the top 25% of hands and have spent enough time with ranges etc to have a good grasp on what the top 25% is.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : No but I expect him to open with the top 25% of hands and have spent enough time with ranges etc to have a good grasp on what the top 25% is.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    So you flat with a hand that is absolutely crushed by a decent chunk of that 25%?

And he's not opening, he's raising a limper. Which, in my opinion, makes it an even more clear cut 3bet or fold.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: My Favourite hand of the night for being berated because of my play : So you flat with a hand that is absolutely crushed by a decent chunk of that 25%? And he's not opening, he's raising a limper. Which, in my opinion, makes it an even more clear cut 3bet or fold.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yes, because I want to play him post-flop.