You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Well, if we're going to be all results orientated; How much money does it save us if we 3-bet-fold the turn, relative to 3-betting the turn and shoving missed rivers? Giving up our equity isn't so bad if we know we're getting a straight answer from our opponent when he shoves.

The one thing I continue to question is, as rancid says, whether the villain is capable of folding the turn to our check-raise and how often we need him to do that to make it better than calling to see the river. He has actually offered us 25% on our call and we're between 20% and 25% against most of his range. We can call profitably if we only average getting a small amount more on the river.

But yeah, we can't worry about running into the top of the villain's range when we decide to check-raise the turn, unless we have reason to believe that the villain's play weights him towards monsters. We'd need reads for that.

If villain shoves the turn and we fold, we do give up our 20% equity in the hand. So when he has AA, etc, we've made a -EV play. However, when he has Ax or something, we turn our 20% equity into 100% equity by making him fold. So that's a very +EV play.

Without knowing his hand, we can't say that it's bad because he could force us to fold with a 3-bet. It's only bad if he 3-bets light sometimes or doesn't fold his weaker Ax hands. Against his entire range, it's probably a good play to check-raise.

The fact that he only clicked back the turn (or near enough) and called the spade river is actually a sign that we've done a good job of representing a set on the turn and not a draw.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD:
    Well, if we're going to be all results orientated; How much money does it save us if we 3-bet-fold the turn, relative to 3-betting the turn and shoving missed rivers? Giving up our equity isn't so bad if we know we're getting a straight answer from our opponent when he shoves. The one thing I continue to question is, as rancid says, whether the villain is capable of folding the turn to our check-raise and how often we need him to do that to make it better than calling to see the river. He has actually offered us 25% on our call and we're between 20% and 25% against most of his range. We can call profitably if we only average getting a small amount more on the river. But yeah, we can't worry about running into the top of the villain's range when we decide to check-raise the turn, unless we have reason to believe that the villain's play weights him towards monsters. We'd need reads for that. If villain shoves the turn and we fold, we do give up our 20% equity in the hand. So when he has AA, etc, we've made a -EV play. However, when he has Ax or something, we turn our 20% equity into 100% equity by making him fold. So that's a very +EV play. Without knowing his hand, we can't say that it's bad because he could force us to fold with a 3-bet. It's only bad if he 3-bets light sometimes or doesn't fold his weaker Ax hands. Against his entire range, it's probably a good play to check-raise. The fact that he only clicked back the turn (or near enough) and called the spade river is actually a sign that we've done a good job of representing a set on the turn and not a draw.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    My point is that we dont know any of this.  We have not one single read apart from his bet sizings are a bit low.

IMO if we aren't taking the aggressive line on the flop (which is OK) we should continue to be passive on the turn when our equity drops, especially when we can only represent a really narrow range on the turn when we raise... and we have no idea if villain is capable of folding what looks like at least top pair after a 3 bet pre and 2 barrels on an A high flop.
  • edited October 2013
    This (BL's post) ^^ pretty much :)

Folding our equity in holdem is not often a very big mistake because we win a lot when we get opponent to fold their equity. In omaha it's much more of a concern when we are forced to fold our equity when we could have took a more passive approach to realise our equity.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : My point is that we dont know any of this.  We have not one single read apart from his bet sizings are a bit low. IMO if we aren't taking the aggressive line on the flop (which is OK) we should continue to be passive on the turn when our equity drops, especially when we can only represent a really narrow range on the turn when we raise... and we have no idea if villain is capable of folding what looks like at least top pair after a 3 bet pre and 2 barrels on an A high flop.
    Posted by gazza127
    This makes no sense at all. The more equity we have in a pot, the worse it is when we are forced to fold our equity. If we raise the flop (when we have more equity) and get 3-bet big we then have to fold a good deal of equity. When we do it on the turn, we are folding less equity!!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : My point is that we dont know any of this.  We have not one single read apart from his bet sizings are a bit low. IMO if we aren't taking the aggressive line on the flop (which is OK) we should continue to be passive on the turn when our equity drops, especially when we can only represent a really narrow range on the turn when we raise... and we have no idea if villain is capable of folding what looks like at least top pair after a 3 bet pre and 2 barrels on an A high flop.
    Posted by gazza127
    This is definitely a legitimate concern. It just comes down to what we make of villain's half-pot, half-pot line. If we think that's more likely to be marginal then we want to check-raise. If we think it's more likely to mean a monster, we want to check-call.

Generally speaking, this line looks more marginal to me than strong. That's not a specific read but we don't have specific reads up to this point and that's what I think is more likely in a vacuum against randomers.

We don't want to be check-raising into a station, obviously.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : This makes no sense at all. The more equity we have in a pot, the worse it is when we are forced to fold our equity. If we raise the flop (when we have more equity) and get 3-bet big we then have to fold a good deal of equity. When we do it on the turn, we are folding less equity!!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Eurgh i know i know.  Its been a long day and i didnt word any of that right.  I just dont see why we are raising on the turn when our equity drops.  It just seems like we are putting more money into a pot we are less likely to win.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : This makes no sense at all. The more equity we have in a pot, the worse it is when we are forced to fold our equity. If we raise the flop (when we have more equity) and get 3-bet big we then have to fold a good deal of equity. When we do it on the turn, we are folding less equity!!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This is true. Although when I quote a post and respond with "This is a legitimate concern..." and F_Ivanovic quotes the same post with the response "This makes no sense at all...", you might be forgiven for thinking we don't agree. lol
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

I think semi bluffing with more equity is far better than having less equity

pot equity + fold equity = total equity

yo!

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : This is true. Although when I quote a post and respond with  "This is a legitimate concern..." and F_Ivanovic quotes the same post with the response "This makes no sense at all..." , you might be forgiven for thinking we don't agree. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner
    hehe, this is why the game of poker is so good! So many different options available with none of us really knowing what the most optimal line is!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : I think semi bluffing with more equity is far better than having less equity pot equity + fold equity = total equity yo!
    Posted by rancid
    True. That being said I think our fold equity on the turn when we raise is going to be much higher than our fold equity when we raise on the flop.
  • edited October 2013
    Noones mentioned that our flush might not even be good if we get there.

AKs, AQs could easily be in villains range given the action.  I'm less inclined to shovel the money in when we dont have the nut draw also.  We can convince ourselves its a cooler but i don't think we can justify it when its of our own making chasing a draw with potentially dirty outs and playing it like the nuts.

• edited October 2013
    It's such a tiny part of his range though cos obv the J is out there, I have the T and 9, so it's literally just them 2 combos (AK and AQ)... maybe KQss.
  • edited October 2013
    Noones mentioned that our flush might not even be good if we get there. AKs, AQs could easily be in villains range given the action.  I'm less inclined to shovel the money in when we dont have the nut draw also.  We can convince ourselves its a cooler but i don't think we can justify it when its of our own making chasing a draw with potentially dirty outs and playing it like the nuts.
    Posted by gazza127
    There are sixteen combinations of each AK and AQ, only two of those thirty two hands are AsKs and AsQs and there are lots of other hands in his range. It does impact on our implied odds a bit, but that's the same whether we check-call the flop and turn or check-raise at some stage.

We don't like getting it in on the turn just drawing to three outs, but we don't like check-calling to the river and just check-folding when we miss, either. Check-calling down and giving up when we miss will cost us more than trying to win the pot with a semi-bluff in the long run.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : True. That being said I think our fold equity on the turn when we raise is going to be much higher than our fold equity when we raise on the flop.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    :)

Highly dependant on range assignment, ie. villian could pick up more pot equity on turn

or our fold equity may just remain the same verus some villians

maybe we should all go and c/r 100% of dry turn's and report our findings :)

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : True. That being said I think our fold equity on the turn when we raise is going to be much higher than our fold equity when we raise on the flop.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    +1

We rep so much stronger a range by taking a non-standard drawing line.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : :) Highly dependant on range assignment, ie. villian could pick up more pot equity on turn or our fold equity may just remain the same verus some villians maybe we should all go and c/r 100% of dry turn's and report our findings :)
    Posted by rancid
    +1 again.

Not that bit about check-raising all dry turns, though. I'm not going to do that.

Of course it depends on villain's range but we do have to make some assumptions on that. Which assumptions we make depends on our experiences of general players in these types of situations, until we have specific reads.
  • edited October 2013
    Ok.

So summary:

Erm.

You won the hand.... wp.  :)
  • edited October 2013
    its only 1 hand guys chill its not life or death :p 

btw what is equity anyways :p
  • edited October 2013
    Don't stop them now Donk! I'm trying to beat DoubleAAA's record for most replies on a clinic hand ;)
  • edited October 2013
    orite well if u got %20 of equity in the whole universe of equity   that refelects the equity of this hand u need %55 per cent edge of all equity to make this a gd raise in the whole world of equity so to sum it up in 1 word 

EQUITY 
  • edited October 2013
    Don't stop them now Donk! I'm trying to beat DoubleAAA's record for most replies on a clinic hand ;)
    Posted by Lambert180
    At least you post your hand/s with good intentions, and not wanting smoke being blown up your backside!
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : At least you post your hand/s with good intentions, and not wanting smoke being blown up your backside!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Uhoh.

Wait for it...
  • edited October 2013
    orite well if u got %20 of equity in the whole universe of equity   that refelects the equity of this hand u need %55 per cent edge of all equity to make this a gd raise in the whole world of equity so to sum it up in 1 word  EQUITY 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    A big LOL!

Well here's a little something that you may or may not have known but 'Turn Equity' can increase 'Fold Equity' more than 'Flop Equity' due to it having an extra 0.05% more Equity than the pot equity.  Usually 45% Equity will get a bluff through.

Being serious, I think the flop and turn play was fine.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : A big LOL! Well here's a little something that you may or may not have known but 'Turn Equity' can increase 'Fold Equity' more than 'Flop Equity' due to it having an extra 0.05% more Equity than the pot equity.  Usually 45% Equity will get a bluff through. Being serious, I think the flop and turn play was fine.
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Huh? I don't follow you.
  • edited October 2013
    its only 1 hand guys chill its not life or death :p  btw what is equity anyways :p
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    On the off chance that you're really asking, or that someone else reading this thread would like it explained:

Equity is basically how much of the pot we "own". In other words, if we think we are 40% to win against our opponent's range, then 40% of the pot is "ours".

Equity has become shorthand for the strength of our hand, however we can also exercise some 'fold equity'.

That fold equity is what we call the value of being the player to make the bet, rather than the player making the call. So if we somehow know that our opponent is holding a pocket pair below QQ (not-inclusive) and we have AK:

If we shove and can make our opponent fold all his pairs below 77, we actually can cut in half our opponent's equity in the hand. So he folds half of his pairs and when he does call we've got a roughly 50/50 chance. Now our total equity is 75%, even though our opponents hands are all 50% to win if he calls.

Generally speaking though, when people talk about equity in this forum, they're talking about the value of our hand if it gets to showdown.
  • edited October 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm trying for you, I really am.
  • edited October 2013
    Lol I've noticed :)

Lovely explanation of equity.
  • edited October 2013
    was joking when i asked for equity another post to catch up with double aa :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : Huh? I don't follow you.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I was just joking as IDONK also made a joke about equity :)

@IDONK So my thread is a record then? Lot's of equity talk in that as well :)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: 20NL Mastercash - C/R Turn w/ GS + FD : I was just joking as IDONK also made a joke about equity :)@IDONK So my thread is a record then? Lot's of equity talk in that as well :)
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Lot's of bo1 1ocks as well ;)